[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

On 3/26/2016 at 2:45 PM, bassistas said:

I tried the latest nvidia driver for my  M18x r2 with single 980m and I get throttling. The only drivers that working perfectly without any throttling are the 352 from here. Anyone know how to avoid throttling with the newer drivers? I have tried to clean with DDU and reinstall many times but every time throttling exists.

I just tried out @J95 latest post on my M18XR2 and I'm not getting any throttling with the new driver :D, I'm also using SVL7's vbios (better temps for me) and its working! :D Where's a donate button when you wanna mash it? lol

Edited by 82280zx

On 3/28/2016 at 11:04 PM, nick81 said:

@J95

Hey man

Hope you can clarify something for me.

I keep reading about throttling yet I've never faced it myself with my 980m. I did get some throttling with my old 880m but that was solved by flashing to SLV's vbios.

With the 980m, flashed to Prema's vbios, I have never faced throttling on any driver version....

How come others with practically the same setup as mine face severe throttling at time? Could it be hardware related, as in depend on the quality of the GPU itself? (ASIC?...)

I had throttling very few times like it downclocks by 100Mhz on the core happens in Dota2 but Don't know what causes It, When I run BO3 after that throttle it doesn't but sometimes the GPU throttles like spikes happens very rarely though no Optimus only PEG, I guess It's the drivers because nvidia's borking things up at an alarming  rate.

OT :  My Alienware 17 is affected by some LVDS cable or MoBo fault too...old 860M fried unknown cause (cracked at the core's vertex)  all things are breaking makes me gripe...

Edited by Ashtrix

Hello all!

Fresh meat <------ :)

I've been using driver 353 with minimal throttling, but just a few days ago the mouse started freezing  every 2 seconds on cold boot. I checked event viewer and it showed the culprit was the Nvidia driver. Before finding out the reason, I did try several ways to fix the problem, such as reinstalling touchpad drivers, disabling the power saving feature on the usb hub root.

As mentioned above everything happened on cold boot. After a few restarts the problem was gone. 

Again, after checking event viewer I noticed the nvidia driver was the problem all along.

I decided to uninstall doing the following method (per J95's post):

-Booted into safe mode using DDU

-Did following command in CMD

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-used DDU to clean drivers and shut down

-F8 did nothing to try to disabled driver signature

-Booted into desktop and used advance startup to disable driver siganture

-Booted back into desktop and extracted drivers 365.72 leaving only the folders J95 instruted to leave in his post

-Replaced files  nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

-Ran setup and driver failed

-Repeated and same problem

I did flash Premas V2's vBios before trying to upgrade drivers.

Specs:

Alienware M18x R2

GPU: 980m SLI

CPU: 3920xm

RAM: 32gb

SSD: Sandisk Extreme Pro

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Gor3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7.03.2016 at 10:17 PM, J95 said:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_A1

>>Optimus<< copy only nvcvi.inf, disable driver signing before installing drivers.

Thx m8 all working now. I forgot copy nvcvi.inf.

I love u :D

• Thumbs Up 1

@Gor3

cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot

Run DDU " Clean and Restart"

Keep pressing F8 -> select "Disable driver signature enforcement"

Extract driver w/ 7-Zip -> Display.Driver copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf

Keep these folders

364.72.PNG

Custom install option -> Clean Install -> reboot

------------------------UPDATED------------------------

On 3/29/2016 at 5:59 AM, J95 said:

INF MOD v364.72

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

GeForce 364.72 Win 7/8.1
GeForce 364.72 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v364.72_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v364.72_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

Updated throttle free PEG MODs GTX 980M/970M

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 - Full_Profiles_11_v353.00.txt

GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD Win10 - Full_Profiles_7_v352.84.txt

• Thumbs Up 2

@J95

Thanks for your reply. 

I wen't ahead and upgrade to windows 10 via windows update and tried to install again and it worked! I played a few games and had no throttling!

I formatted this morning and did a clean install and everything has worked so far. All drivers installed, I've gotten no crashes, no BSOD and more importantly NO THROTTLING. I played a few rounds of Bf4, DoTA2, and some GTAv and my fps stayed consistent at all times...

For anyone interested I installed  GeForce 364.72 Win10  and  nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

and my specs:

Alienware M18x R2

GPU: 980m SLI

CPU: 3920xm

RAM: 32gb

SSD: Sandisk Extreme Pro

J95, thank you so much! Check your paypal, I will buy you a beer. You deserve it :)

******Edit******

Where is the donate button?

Edited by Gor3
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Nikos4Life said:

Is it safe to install 364.72? Thanks @J95:) I'll be back soon to the arena, I am all the way focus on my master degree final project, but I will be back :D

i would also like to know if 364.72 is safe on windows 10. i am currently running the older 352.84 peg mod but have heard rumors of the newer drives nvidia put out burning out machines.

@Kenter currently running v364.72, just don't install EVGA PrecisionX, MSI Afterburner (excluding RTSS) or screen overclocking tools.

---------------------------UPDATED ---------------------------

[Bios Mod] M18xR2 - GeForce 900M Series Legacy Support now Available

M17XR4 LEGACY SUPPORT POSIBLE - NEED TESTERS!!!

Besides M18xR2's 900M Series legacy support, @Swick1981 updated most FW for both M18xR2 & M17xR4...:thumbsup:

@chiefule, @mariussx, @godfafa, @twin snakes, @jjbettcher, @avands @Infini, @merlinios, @SillyYak, @wuruochong, @Zyzyx ,

@LaPioute, @Boise, @Wolf, @N!IGHTHAWK!, @1pinkpanda1, @tony7755333, @Gor3, @Nikos4Life, @Solo wing

37 minutes ago, J95 said:

@Kenter currently running v364.72, just don't install EVGA PrecisionX, MSI Afterburner (excluding RTSS) or screen overclocking tools.

---------------------------UPDATED ---------------------------

[Bios Mod] M18xR2 - GeForce 900M Series Legacy Support now Available

M17xR4 Optmus & 120Hz models Legacy support testers needed!!

Besides M18xR2's 900M Series legacy support, @Swick1981 updated most FW for both M18xR2 & M17xR4...:thumbsup:

@chiefule, @mariussx, @godfafa, @twin snakes, @jjbettcher, @avands @Infini, @merlinios, @SillyYak, @wuruochong, @Zyzyx ,

@LaPioute, @Boise, @Wolf, @N!IGHTHAWK!, @1pinkpanda1, @tony7755333, @Gor3, @Nikos4Life, @Kenter, @Solo wing

Awsome thanks for the quick response im useing  prima v2 oc on my aw17 with a gtx970 ill install the drivers here in a few min.

12 minutes ago, J95 said:

No problem, Alienware 17 Optimus  model? Then install using nvcvi.inf (only).

No i disabled optimus sure its great for reduced power when you don't need it but the thing is nothing but a headache i run it in peg mode. iv had 4 laptops with optimus and they have all been nothing but a headache especialy with some older games. dedicated all the way for me.

*Edit*

just loaded the new drivers going to give em a good workout.

Edited by Kenter
additional comment.
  • Thumbs Up 1

win 8.1 Pro, m18xr2, 364.72, 980m - throttling, 364.51 was throttling too..using prema v2 vbios

im P1/P2 clock matching like i've been since 353.xx

throttling with and without OC, i think i played through fallout 4 with 364.51 and the throttling was minimal compared to this

EDIT: went back to 353.xx with #11 profiles and no more throttling....

Edited by anarky321

Any inf for 980M single M15x?

It's the one with 1st gen i7

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_02A21028&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_02A21028

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_0300

standard vga graphics adapter is listed on windows device manager, flash with prema v2 980m non-gsync

Driver used: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/929940/geforce-drivers/new-vulkan-driver-364-91-released/

Edited by str8_an94baller

Give you guys a update on how things have been on  v364.72 with win 10 peg with prima v2 oc on aw17 r1 with gtx970m from woodz.

So far i have not noticed any throttling and i don't have a dead card yet so that's good. temps are stable at full load.

a side note anyone have a part number or source for the cpu fan i think mines starting to go. 

Quick update on my experience:

Been using newest 364.72 drivers and have had no issues, BSODS, crashes, and 0 THROTTLING for about a month now.

Thanks @J95 again for making it possible :)

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Infini said:

I made one myself for PEG Mod win7/8.1. You can download it if its your setup.

nv_dispi.rar

Edited by Tulius

witcher 3 crashed and now my "est. max" field in Inspector is greyed out and card is constantly throttling...reinstalling driver didn't fix...confused

in inspector now besides the est max field being greyed out under P1 options it says "unlock min/max" where before it never asked that, and if you exit and restart inspector it still asks if you want to unlock...something went wrong but i dont understand what

it feels like the card is just stuck in P1

edit: it fixed itself after i swapped to a diff ac adapter but after 2 hours of witcher3 it crashed again and now same problem....not sure whats the deal here but down-clocking the core keeps it from crashing

edit2: problem is back..i think my 980m is dying tried 3 diff working drivers

edit3: got it to work again, but wanted to say every driver past 353.00 severe throttling for me, including the new 364.96...idk how other people aren't getting throttled on them

Edited by anarky321

Hi guys, need your help regarding my newly installed GTX 980m. Here are my specs:

Alienware 17 R1 120hz

16gb RAM

GTX 980m 8gb

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

Driver 364.72

Installation went well and since I can't download modded infs yet I decided to follow a guide that changes the Hardware IDs in the nvcv and nvdm infs. The drivers installed properly but when I try to bench on games and play games the core clock of the 980m stays at 301Mhz. The guy I got the card from said that the vbios was flashed with the latest prema vbios, though I don't have any comparison, the clocks in GPU-z reads 1203 GPU clock and 1253 Memory, Boost is also at 1203. The memory clocks as stated in GPU-z but the highest GPU clock i get is only 301 Mhz resulting in frames lesser than those of my previous 780m. Can this be related to a wrong inf modding or should i re flash the vbios of the card? Thanks in advance!

gpu-z.gif

Not yet. I'll give those drivers a try. The problem with mine is that it doesn't even go higher than 301Mhz even though GPU-z and Nvidia Inspector shows that the card has a higher core clock. I tried flashing the card with Prema's v2 mod from his website but the clocks became lower. GPU-z reads the clock at 540Mhz but in-game the clock only goes up to 282Mhz.

• J95 pinned this topic