Alienware still good?

Skellar998

Question

18 answers to this question

Overpriced, glued together "shit". Were once awesome, nowadays no more. They are even supposed to break after 2 years of use. Also Asus tries to earn a lot of money through repairs. 

Better get a Clevo or similar device.  

Edit: Litte tipp to save a bunch of money (calculate it before): Buy SSD/HDD, RAM, CPU (if a desktop CPU) on your own and sent it to the manufacturer of the Laptop or built it in yourself (you wont lose warranty), usually the prices for such devices are over the top when bought together with the laptop. 

Edited by Logan

I bought an Alienware M17x R4 about 5 years ago, the AMD 7970 died a few months ago, i had no problem with it at all. But I did see a decrease in the construction level since then.

Now since graphics card died, I do not want to spend 150 bucks or so in a replacement card, hence an upgrade to a 970 or 980 is much better, however, then you are stuck into unlocking bios and possibly issue you might have with the entire process, not too straight forward if it is something you do on a blue moon...

If it was today i would build a compact Desktop PC that will allow you to upgrade more easily moving forward.

How is MSI doing these days?

IMO Alienware has gotten better over time, from 2008-2012 quality seemed to be off for me. The latest Alienware systems are built like absolute tanks however, very high quality even in comparison to boutique systems like Origin/Sager. 

MSI laptops have been good, I own one, however some models are built pretty darn cheaply, but what you do you expect from a laptop at the cheapest pricepoint for the spec bracket

On 3/27/2018 at 3:38 AM, runix18 said:

Clevo, all the way up. Alienware started to be a BGA crap.

well do not know how can you really recommend a clevo machine but hey, everyone has it personal favorites.  For the Record I own about 5 alienwares, from the 13 inch all the way to the 21 inch, and I can tell you all my alienwares have outlived the competition.  Some people call them overpriced, but when my first alienware from 2009 is still going strong is hard to prove your point. I have found that you can upgrade and repair alienware if you have the knowledge and touch. is not rocket science, Just computers , so for me until proven otherwise will continue to buy them .

Edited by sentinex

On 9/9/2018 at 10:18 AM, sentinex said:

well do not know how can you really recommend a clevo machine but hey, everyone has it personal favorites.  For the Record I own about 5 alienwares, from the 13 inch all the way to the 21 inch, and I can tell you all my alienwares have outlived the competition.  Some people call them overpriced, but when my first alienware from 2009 is still going strong is hard to prove your point. I have found that you can upgrade and repair alienware if you have the knowledge and touch. is not rocket science, Just computers , so for me until proven otherwise will continue to buy them .

You did not understand my comment, I was also a very big Alienware fan, until the started to produce the BGA crap, still have respect for the old models. Heck I even owned one (the good all MX17 R4)

Edited by runix18

if you get Alienware, id liquid metal repaste and one thing I do love about them is that you get the not so expensive Graphics amplifier and also the resale value is very high. quality wise I think they are one of the best if not the best. m17x r3/r4 were a lot cooler imo but quality was not as high

I do rendering mostly like 24-48 hrs of peak load. Only owned alienwares M14x  gtx555 and 17r3 980m. M14x is 10 yrs old still works well and i just keep on cleaning the fans and heat sink re pasting with  arctic silver. Now ordered liquid metal for both. Build quality is great. Some design flaws but takes the beating of running at 100 percent load with temperatures in 90s.

Hi ! Just to share quickly my experience with Alienware :

Bought the M17xR4 long long ago when it was release (7 years) along with an i7 and a 7970M HD.

Laptop was brillant and carried over during all my 5 years IT studies. It was on almost 24/24, downloading stuff, playing games or watching movies.

Now the GPU broke, but the computer remains 100% functionnal thanks to intel's HD chipset (Of course I can't play demanding games anymore).
I've now ordered an Area51m as a replacement and really hope it will last just like this one :)

I'd say their m15 and older Alienware 13 series are pretty good. Both have solid build quality but the 13 isn't getting an update from Kabylake anytime soon and likely won't ever get an update. Nothing about the Area 51m as in reviews yet, so I can't really give any say about it but it looks really promising, especially with that OLED display option coming with it I believe? (correct me if im wrong, please). 

Alienware laptops were once alone in the gaming laptop market but HP/MSI/ASUS pretty much have similar offerings that take the shine away from Alienware

HP Omen laptops seem like a real alternative with the HP brand behind while even Dell's own G7 laptops make choosing an Alienware laptop all the more difficult