OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

Yes we all have a thick one ILB (penis joke inserted). Its about the thickness of a light welder setup. Its rated at a very high amperage if you read it. I like that its literally like 12 foot lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

Initial impressions of 580M Sli: I notice some choppiness in games like Arkham Asylum and BF3 but that could be because I'm running off my old Windows installation. Also, there is DPC latency with 580M SLi systems which could turn out to be a problem in games/applications--it will require further testing. Image quality seems to be slightly better than 6990s, shadows look better and the MSAA is done much better. Performance difference isn't too much, I can barely tell the difference so if you have a 6990, you should be happy with it.

• Founder

Just broke 29k GPU tonight! Woot! So close to 30k GPU too, if I had a 2960xm I'm sure I could have gotten 31k-32k. I've also made a video comparing AMD 6990 xfire vs nVidia 580M SLi in 3dmark vantage, I'll post it up tonight or tomorrow after editing.

post-5-1449499215733_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Killer video I loved it shocking I've got similar vantage score gpu subscore on my 6970ms compared to those 6990ms. NVIDIA a clear winner with highest gpu subscore. So seems 580m king and I am shocked 6970m/6990m overclocked not a big difference at the same clocks... But I've seen others benefiting more from those extra shaders than I saw here. The AMD system loaded and finished the bench fastest as SVL7 mentioned ;-)

Edited by mw86

Great video, clearly shows that the AMD system is faster :P /trolling

Really good job, thanks for the work! I'm curious about the 3dM11 performance, with everything at stock (including Nvidia control panel and CCC). Do you have some numbers?

The drives were the same system to system? Ram same speed and latency? Was one system drive filled substantially more percentage wise? Fragmentation a non issue? SSD or Platter based hard disk?

• Founder
Killer video I loved it shocking I've got similar vantage score gpu subscore on my 6970ms compared to those 6990ms. NVIDIA a clear winner with highest gpu subscore. So seems 580m king and I am shocked 6970m/6990m overclocked not a big difference at the same clocks... But I've seen others benefiting more from those extra shaders than I saw here. The AMD system loaded and finished the bench fastest as SVL7 mentioned ;-)
The drives were the same system to system? Ram same speed and latency? Was one system drive filled substantially more percentage wise? Fragmentation a non issue? SSD or Platter based hard disk?

Well you have an extreme OC'd CPU which inflates the vantage score so that's why. But in gaming performance I'm fairly certain the 6990 will blow away the 6970m. Both systems were not identical, the nvidia one was using an Intel 320 160GB SSD which is a lot faster than the standard 7200 rpm 500gb drive in the AMD system. Like I said in the video, I think it has to do with AMD processing shaders faster in the benchmark.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Great video, clearly shows that the AMD system is faster :P /trolling

Really good job, thanks for the work! I'm curious about the 3dM11 performance, with everything at stock (including Nvidia control panel and CCC). Do you have some numbers?

I haven't run 3DMark 11 yet but will do so and put up the numbers for you guys.

Downloaded the new 290.36 drivers, played it on skyrim and got 2-6 additional frames. Played on 1366x768, ultra but with shadows medium, AA off, and 8x AF. Note to anyone who downloads the drivers, they reset skyrim's settings to have v-sync on. I forced mine off. Basically got about a 10% increase, not too shabby. Played without overclock.

Oh and svl, you should be more careful with your tacos.

post-656-14494992157929_thumb.jpg Found the little dog having its way with it...

Edited by mmskate13

• Founder
@Brian - Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that stock clocked 6990Ms VS OC 580Ms? I thought the stock core clock on the 580s was ~600mhz, not 850? Nice score either way. :)

Oops wrong result, nice catch. I'll put up the correct score later today. Both were run overclocked.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

• Founder
i should have never looked into this thread, now i feel like a pea with my m17x-r3 and my lousy mid 16k vantage score! :D;)

Lol imagine how people with midrange gaming computers feel.

Lol imagine how people with midrange gaming computers feel.

i was just remembering years ago when i was building my first crossfire rig and was pushing the hell outta the machine just to get like 12000 3d mark 06 score and was like "holy shit!". so i shouldn't be bitching haha ;)

• Founder

So my new M18x's lid had a scratch on it from the factory. E-mailed my buddy Chris @ Dell and he set me up with a next day parts delivery of a new lid. Just finished installing it and now I can finally say this M18x is perfect! What a long journey lol.

Thats so true Brian these beat desktop rigs that were top of the line only a year or two ago. I need a buddy like Chris to hook me up with 580 sLI lol

Edited by mw86

So my new M18x's lid had a scratch on it from the factory. E-mailed my buddy Chris @ Dell and he set me up with a next day parts delivery of a new lid. Just finished installing it and now I can finally say this M18x is perfect! What a long journey lol.

LOL Brian, you spend more time acquiring and swapping laptops from/with Dell than using them. :D

Hope the new lid is fine. :)