OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

@deadbydawn congrats on the new system buddy! I think the Corsair ram is indeed problematic with the M18x-R2 but personally I haven't had the best luck with HyperX either. I've got 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz in my system and they do not run stable with XMP 2 enabled, even if i raise the voltage. I have to run the ram at 1333 MHz for it to work correctly. It seems some of these notebook aftermarket modules have trouble working at what they are advertised as which pisses me off. Others have had success so it seems to be luck of the draw and maybe some tweaking as well.

thanks bud!

yeah i never realised how big of a pain this can be on a 18x..as i didn't have problems on my 17x (except for a bad dimm once), nor do i have any on my 14x. that's really shitty, instead of getting cheaper ram you pay more for faster ones with ending up having a more expensive and slower solution than the cheaper ones were. i ordered 4x4GB of 1600mhz hyperx (xmp), which i'm using in my14x and have also been using in my17x as well without anyprobs. believe me, if those won't work either i'll probably..........order other ones!!! ^^ ;) nah jk, this just sucks!

what's up guys?

can someone share his experience with the 18x-r2 with me? i got the following issue: i put 4x4 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz in my 18x. i have been fighting since yesterday, but can't get those f@6632s to run stable. at 1866 no way at all, bsod's aaaaall the time. tried to work my way through all different kinds of settings but still, nothing. then i downclocked them to 1600mhz. once in a while a bsod, prime95 finds system errors after a while. some strange behaviour in windows as well some times. now i put the memory that came with the system back in this morning and since it's running fine. testing with prime and as well no problems so far.

now i read that quite a few users experience probs with those ram in the 18x-r2 and i will sell them and probably buy some kingston hyperx 1600MHz. the only thing i'm not sure about is if i should get 2x4GB or 4x4GB (so, 1 set or 2 sets). i know this gets asked a lot, but does it make sense to get 16gb? the only thing besides gaming that will be going on on this machine will be probably virtualbox with my virtualized machine from work running on an external drive.

@mw86 damn dude, i hate ram-issues...i just remembered the last ones i had where you were helping me out and in the end we figured out that the version of memtest i was using wasn't quite working ;( ;)

Same issue with me @ 1866mbz. I run them at 1600mhz(Cas9) and they seem to be okay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same issue with me @ 1866mbz. I run them at 1600mhz(Cas9) and they seem to be okay.

so you set the latencies yourself? which of the settings did you change? and how many modules do you have, 2 or 4?

thanks a lot for your feedback :)

EDIT: i'm asking because i ran 4x4gb with 1600mhz and default setting instead of any xmp and already had problems.

EDIT2: just for fun i quickly put 2x4gb vengeance in it at 1600mhz...problems! ^^

Hey guys, im new here, ive had a alienware m18x for quite a while, (First had the m17x r3, but turned out to be a lemon...) Seems tho that this alienware is that much better, feels like ive been jipped as on almost all games i play. i only get about 20 fps on medium settings, and about 12 on high. (Quite sad) Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,

Kitaru

• Founder
so 4x4 gb of 1600mhz xmp hyperx running w/o probs in my 18x, but what i was surprised to find was that those new hyperx don't have the heatspreader anymore, just a vengeance like sticker.

Probably because the spreaders are useless.

Sent from my GT-N7000

what's up guys?

can someone share his experience with the 18x-r2 with me? i got the following issue: i put 4x4 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz in my 18x. i have been fighting since yesterday, but can't get those f@6632s to run stable. at 1866 no way at all, bsod's aaaaall the time. tried to work my way through all different kinds of settings but still, nothing. then i downclocked them to 1600mhz. once in a while a bsod, prime95 finds system errors after a while. some strange behaviour in windows as well some times. now i put the memory that came with the system back in this morning and since it's running fine. testing with prime and as well no problems so far.

now i read that quite a few users experience probs with those ram in the 18x-r2 and i will sell them and probably buy some kingston hyperx 1600MHz. the only thing i'm not sure about is if i should get 2x4GB or 4x4GB (so, 1 set or 2 sets). i know this gets asked a lot, but does it make sense to get 16gb? the only thing besides gaming that will be going on on this machine will be probably virtualbox with my virtualized machine from work running on an external drive.

@mw86 damn dude, i hate ram-issues...i just remembered the last ones i had where you were helping me out and in the end we figured out that the version of memtest i was using wasn't quite working ;( ;)

My 1866 corsair have same issue. Set volts to auto or manually to 1.5v preferably auto though because i had issues setting it manually. Make sure there is no baseclock overclock because the corsair 1866mhz dont handle over that in my testing. If you have any higher volt set they crash right away. @deadbydawn i hope that helps.

@Brian i also have those Hyperx too. I found you can use xmp 1 or 2. If you use stock use 1.5volts it runs 1333mhz at 9-9-9-24. Xmp1 set volts manual and mhz at 1333mhz manually 1.65v and i think it set 7-7-7-20. Xmp2 set 1600mhz manually, 1.65volts manually and all is stable at 1600mhz 9-9-9-27.

Brian the corsair dont have or use XMP unless someone flashed the ram spd profile to have XMP since stock Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz are plug and play only at 1866 10-10-10-27 1.5v

Here is hyperx pdf as you see the timings are tight on xmp so even though they say 1.5v to actually get stable you may need 1.55-1.65v. http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9S3K2_8GX.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately even at 1.65v they aren't stable..fuck Kingston.

Send em back bro they are busted. Deadbydawn's set worked correct in m17x r4 and mine in the same model as yours the M18x. They seem to be a bust to me. Kingston and Corsair are both hit or miss i guess. Haha never had issues on my Samsung ram i run them at 2133mhz cl10 for a long time now. Even if out of limited warranty you should get a replacement. Or give them some bad pr! Btw @Brian i still have that set of Corsair i didn't mind sending to you free. What are friends for. As long as you leave volts on auto manually set 1866MHz and leave xmp off they run great. The set is 2-4gb chips for 8gb total. PM me Brian if interested i could send them via USPS priority mail?

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Send em back bro they are busted. Deadbydawn's set worked correct in m17x r4 and mine in the same model as yours the M18x. They seem to be a bust to me. Kingston and Corsair are both hit or miss i guess. Haha never had issues on my Samsung ram i run them at 2133mhz cl10 for a long time now. Even if out of limited warranty you should get a replacement. Or give them some bad pr! Btw @Brian i still have that set of Corsair i didn't mind sending to you free. What are friends for. As long as you leave volts on auto manually set 1866MHz and leave xmp off they run great. The set is 2-4gb chips for 8gb total. PM me Brian if interested i could send them via USPS priority mail?

those hyperx ones also work fine in my m18x-r2. but coudln't get the vengeance to work for sh**... so it really is different from pair to pair to notebook to notebook, if you get what i'm saying ;)

I'm running 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866's in my M18x R2 without any issues :)

have any suggestions for deadbydawn to get his working as I only know how mine work in M18x R1. if you may have any insight please elaborate. Would you show us how you have it set in the bios? No biggy either way.

- - - Updated - - -

those hyperx ones also work fine in my m18x-r2. but coudln't get the vengeance to work for sh**... so it really is different from pair to pair to notebook to notebook, if you get what i'm saying ;)

only thing that comes to mind is Corsair are bastards! what slots are you installed in I doubt it matters as Im sure you know they should be in slot 0 and 1 only as populating slot 3/4 with nothing in slot 1/2 will not allow them to work often get beeps. Corsair Vengeance are missing spd profiles causing issues running them in another speed. brb I'll check which ones are in the profile for you quick.

sadly this is the issue you are having there is no profile for 1600mhz on those. Its a major issue. as you see by this pic a stock corsair vengeance runs only 1866 or 1333 :/

post-34-14494993920091_thumb.png

there is a fix but you need this software. ive used it myself.

watch all of these videos and you will see the etire issue and the way to fix it.

Thaiphoon Burner - Official Support Website

sorry @deadbydawn Corsair are assholes for not including a 1600mhz profile and all capable latencies like CL7/8/9/10 not just CL8/9 thats why you cant even load 1600mhz. Thats also why as is you should in any case still be getting 1866mhz even on a M18x R2 as the member Mazmorbid stated his is using a full 32gb's of 1866 corsair vengeance. Goodluck bro. Even if you don't bother messing with them again... I wanted you to know these important details.

• Thumbs Up 1

have any suggestions for deadbydawn to get his working as I only know how mine work in M18x R1. if you may have any insight please elaborate. Would you show us how you have it set in the bios? No biggy either way.
Here is my bios shot, nothing special there ? IMAG0188.jpg I'm running A08. Not sure if it helped but before I pulled my 1333 RAM out I set the frequency in the BIOS to 1866, it wouldn't boot if it was at 1333 so I could then change it, just kept beeping, but again this could have been something else that went wrong lol
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here is my bios shot, nothing special there ? IMAG0188.jpg I'm running A08. Not sure if it helped but before I pulled my 1333 RAM out I set the frequency in the BIOS to 1866, it wouldn't boot if it was at 1333 so I could then change it, just kept beeping, but again this could have been something else that went wrong lol

Actually i think that you gave a important detail, thank you. It very well may matter that that happened. I have a feeling it wouldn't set by auto mhz and thats why you found only way they loaded right was when you set 1866MHz manually before actually putting in the corsair 1866mhz.

Perhaps if Deadbydawn tinkers in a similar way he can get the chips to run 1866MHz from the get go.

Deadbydawn if your chips don't run the 1866MHz i suggest doing as Brian RMA them and if you want sell them or get them to work. Im sorry they are giving you trouble. I hope you get your money back if not.

Brian I am glad that you decided to RMA those broken chips and go for the gskill.

@mazmorbid & @mw86

thanks a lot for your help! really appreciate it!

well, i had the settings exactly like on your screenshot, only thing i did different was, i set 1866mhz after i put the ram in. tested them with higher voltage as well, but nothing. well, it did boot but pretty much everything iwanted to do failed right away ;)

in the mean time i sold the rma-memory and bought 4x4gb of hyperx 1600mhz, which is running like butter with 1.5v, 1600mhz set manually andxmp profile 2 set.

=)

@mw86 thanks a lot for your big help conc. the links and all for flashing the memory etc! how are you bud? starting to getting settled in on your new job?

@mazmorbid & @mw86

thanks a lot for your help! really appreciate it!

well, i had the settings exactly like on your screenshot, only thing i did different was, i set 1866mhz after i put the ram in. tested them with higher voltage as well, but nothing. well, it did boot but pretty much everything iwanted to do failed right away ;)

in the mean time i sold the rma-memory and bought 4x4gb of hyperx 1600mhz, which is running like butter with 1.5v, 1600mhz set manually andxmp profile 2 set.

=)

@mw86 thanks a lot for your big help conc. the links and all for flashing the memory etc! how are you bud? starting to getting settled in on your new job?

okay great I am glad its all working out pal. Basically I am glad you have the 16gb 1.5v XMP2 set and working now finally. I am glad you rma'd the junk ones. My Corsair failed running anything above 1.5v. I am glad it worked out anyway. Yes starting to settle in glad to have time to see everyone here again finally. Pretty Sweet you picked up a M18x R2 :)

okay great I am glad its all working out pal. Basically I am glad you have the 16gb 1.5v XMP2 set and working now finally. I am glad you rma'd the junk ones. My Corsair failed running anything above 1.5v. I am glad it worked out anyway. Yes starting to settle in glad to have time to see everyone here again finally. Pretty Sweet you picked up a M18x R2 :)

yeah me too thx dude! :)

okay, great to hear! what are you doing jobwise anyways?

yeah i love it, especially the aluminum case of it. and of course the brute power of the 680 in sli. even though i'm limited with the oc (=0) as i didn't flash any vbios...i'm still a bit sceptic to do it as i don't wanna brick anything since the system runs perfectly fine now. i was playing max payne 3 on everything maxed out excepct for one setting (i forgot what it was) for 5 hours a few days ago and cpu temps were 69 degrees max and gpu was even lower...and i didn't repaste or anything yet.. :)

• 1 month later...

M18x R2 users who (for whatever reason :P) want to use fast boot / secure boot and have issues with getting it to work with the dedicated GPU should check out this thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/2658-%5Bm14x-r2%5D-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-%5Bm18x-r2%5D-uefi-fast-boot-secure-boot-gpu-issues.html#post35913

Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1