Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

So I installed the mods and everything seems to be going good. Here are some pictures:

Here are the graphics cards before and after:

post-16380-14494996056876_thumb.png

Here are the BIOS screens:

post-16380-14494996061936_thumb.jpg

I plan on purchasing an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 and I will tell how installing that goes later! I might also have a try at some overclocking work... I don't know much though.

post-16380-14494996056298_thumb.png

post-16380-14494996056618_thumb.png

post-16380-14494996057236_thumb.png

post-16380-14494996057493_thumb.jpg

post-16380-14494996058038_thumb.jpg

post-16380-14494996058593_thumb.jpg

post-16380-14494996059143_thumb.jpg

post-16380-14494996059756_thumb.jpg

post-16380-14494996060298_thumb.jpg

post-16380-14494996060847_thumb.jpg

post-16380-14494996061386_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 16

Hey guys new to the site here but not exactly new to bios mods. Im looking forward to trying out this whitelist removal method in hopes that I can also use the Intel Wireless-AC 7260 (cant wait to hear WireMesh tell us if all works well). However I was curious about one thing. I have the Lenovo y510p and was just looking to do the whitelist, but I see there are steps for flashing something related to the send 750M in the ultra bay. Is this step required? Im thinking its not as it seems like this is a seperate flash to allow for modifying the clocks or others specs of the cards? If im wrong would you mind going into a little detail as to if the Ultrabay flash is required and what it does? Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys new to the site here but not exactly new to bios mods. Im looking forward to trying out this whitelist removal method in hopes that I can also use the Intel Wireless-AC 7260 (cant wait to hear WireMesh tell us if all works well). However I was curious about one thing. I have the Lenovo y510p and was just looking to do the whitelist, but I see there are steps for flashing something related to the send 750M in the ultra bay. Is this step required? Im thinking its not as it seems like this is a seperate flash to allow for modifying the clocks or others specs of the cards? If im wrong would you mind going into a little detail as to if the Ultrabay flash is required and what it does? Thanks!

To my understanding, you could put a new wireless card in just fine with only the BIOS mod, but since one card already is modified to allow for overclocking, it makes no sense to not modify the ultrabay one to be the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

Ultrabay has to be updated, since this mod is covering gpu bios unlock as well, and system bios doesn't containing that.

Probably off topic here...

svl7!

Is there a way, to further unlock vga bios? Talking about allowing on the fly software modification of TDP limits of cards, with like Afterburner.

The reason behind this is the following:

Kepler voltage is automatic, probably based on a voltage table, maybe linked to ASIC quality too.

If you set 1058 mhz, it will run at 1058, with for example 1.056V.

If you set it to +135 which is 1189 it will run at that speed, with 1.056V.

But, if you set it to throttle back, temp or TDP or usage limit, it will throttle voltage too, and will run stable at 1058mhz with 1.006V.

Temp limit is kinda hard to choose, to maintain a stable clock speed, but TDP limit could be.

Or a direct way to edit that voltage table, or be able to offset to negative values.

As seen on attached screens, ultrabay bios can be set to negative offset, but this offset is too low, still higher voltage, idle, load, whatever.

Integrated card can just be offseted to positive values.

Did a quick factory/modded ultraby bios compare in kepler bios editor, attached it via picture, some features still locked.

Unfortunately Svet's bios editor from MSI HQ is currently not supporting these cards.

With this, maybe we can shave a few degree from gpu temperature.

Thanks!

post-17279-14494996063341_thumb.png

post-17279-14494996064054_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont think you would benefit anything from that.

And if you extract it from main bios, it has different size.(larger) Bios editor is able to open, seems fine, but could not flash integrated bios into ultrabay. Nvflash said all device id is full of zeros.

Hi,svl7

Can you share the new BIOS? etc v1.09 v1.10

You can remove the windows key from the files.

I want update my laptop bios(v1.07).

Thank you.

Can we turn off Optimus Technology after unlock?

Most likely not, but it depends on how the GPU is connected internally. Most similar Lenovo systems depend on the igpu, e.g. the Y580.

I get an error 51 when attempting to make a backup of the bios.

"Error 51: An attempt was made to read beyond the end of flash memory"

Any help?

Seems like one of the flash parts on your board is not recognized... I need to know it's name, else I can't help you. You could disassemble the system and check which flash chip is installed besides the one that is recognized or maybe if dumped the whole firmware I could figure it out. Try to run the flash tool with -d me.bin -me. It will most likely come up with an error though...

Seems like one of the flash parts on your board is not recognized... I need to know it's name, else I can't help you. You could disassemble the system and check which flash chip is installed besides the one that is recognized or maybe if dumped the whole firmware I could figure it out. Try to run the flash tool with -d me.bin -me. It will most likely come up with an error though...

This is what I'm getting when I use that command. First is with the original fparts.txt, and the second is with the one linked to in the OP. I doubt it's of any use, but I really don't wish to disassemble my laptop at the moment. I may just have to live with the locked down BIOS until I'm feeling less lazy.

post-17361-14494996068619_thumb.png

Well, that looks different than your info.txt file... you should be able to flash the bios with the error 104 fix file.

I am using the fparts.txt file from the 'Error 104' fix.zip file you linked to in the OP.

The first error in that image is the one I get when I use the Error 104 fix fparts.txt file. The second error is the error I get when I use the fparts.txt that was originally included in the Fptw64_(8_series).zip along with the program.

Yeah, then flash the bios with the 104 file, should work fine.

I'm somewhat hesitant to flash the bios without having made a backup first. I can't make a backup because, as I said I get an error 51 when I try to make a backup using the Error 104 fix file.

What are the chances of something going wrong when I attempt to flash it?

Wait, I'm stupid. The flashing process in the OP requires you to make a backup first anyway... How am I supposed to flash it if I can't make the backup?

Well, looking at the information you provided it should work... how exactly did you try to backup the bios?

Exactly as it says in the OP.

The archive contains the files of the program and a .bat file that will create a backup of your BIOS. You need to call the .bat file from an admin command prompt.

post-17361-14494996068861_thumb.png