Since there are no threads about overclocking M6700 and Quadro Kepler series cards, i decided to make one.

Does anybody here overclocked their "K1000M K2000M K3000M K4000M or K5000M"?

I have K3000M and it seems to be way underclocked and have huge potential.

With brand new alienware M17x R3 (GTX580M) i had throttle issues all the time without any OC and temps hitting 80-90c, noisy fans etc but with precision K3000M OC (+135MHz) there is no throttling and it even stays cool (65c under 100% load).

Scorewise originally K3000M scored 2600 in 3dmark11 but with simple software OC +135MHz core i got 3200 points, by the way 580M GTX in M17X R3 was 3300points).

So as it seems to me, precision is way better machine for gaming than that plastic cheap built kids toy Alienware (i did own M17X R3 for 1 year!)

And GPU wise K5000M seems to have great potential to beat M17x R4 GPU-s in gaming performance.

Thanks Clyde, theres a lot of information about K5000M, unfortunately not about K3000M at all :)

My results with just overclocking core +434MHz

post-13882-14494995482334_thumb.jpg

Temperatures under full load 100% core 1087MHz maximum 63c... And i remember my new m17x R3 with 580M GTX (3DMARK11 3300P) under load was 80c :)

Seems to be better gaming machine than alienware.. At least its my opinion ;)

I have one question for you... after you flash the new vbios can you go back to stock?

Why would you want to go to stock? vBIOS only gives you opportunity to overclock (UNLOCK OC), it does not change any voltages or speeds. But i guess you could flash your old bios if you would want to, just make sure when you flash new one to make backup from your old one. There is a guide somewhere how to flash bios via nvtool.

Anyone know if there is an unlocked BIOS for Dell m6700 which allows performing overclock of the i7-3920XM processor? is very sad to have a processor that could offer a lot more power without been able to use it.

I am also looking for an unlocked bios for my M6700, i7-3940xm.

Can somebody help me with that?

Very curious to see if it's possible to overclock the CPU in M6700.

Also Curious about this. The cooling is good on the M6700 and lends itself to overclocking more than most laptops.

I am having Dell M6700 3840QM +K5000M, It seems the latest vBIOS file is (Dell) K5000m - 80.04.33.00.35 - 'OCedition' -> higher software overclocking limit, stock 3d clocks 758MHz, but I couldnt download it.

Anyone tested it?

The precision line is great (I only say that because they are free lol). I've had M6400, M6500, M6600, M6700, to my current M6800. I don't think there is much that can be done in the way of OCing the CPU. With the 64/65 I was able to get to the engineering BIOS menu and disable the BIOS control of the fans. I would then use any flavor of fan control program to keep the systems cooler. I can't get that menu to come up on my M6800. Even though the cooling design in these laptops is pretty good, there are still some issues. With every precision I've had, I would take them apart and fix the shite thermal paste job that comes from the factory. I usually drop 10-15 deg C on the CPU and a few degrees on the GPU.

I have a i7-4800MQ in the M6800 and have tried many configs with Intel XTU. Not a one seems to beat the stock config. Some of them even produce lower scores than the stock config. The main problems are the lack of OC ability in the BIOS/ME FW and COOLING :52_002::23_002:.

The best I can tell you for your M6700 is to get a great thermal paste and do a better job on the CPU/GPU. Then get a good cooler for the laptop to sit on. Then get a vBIOS mod and OC that baby.

• Thumbs Up 1

long ago i saw this thread over here :

M6600 BIOS Menu unlock?

one more recently over here :

Dell Precision M6600 Bios Modding and flashing

Too bad, modder there are not familiar with the bios.

it'd be awesome if we can unlock the full potential of our workstation machine.

The only thing holding it back is the overclocking ability compare to alienware and other gaming machine.

i wish 1 day we can actually overclock it ... is there any talented modder here ?

As per request by a large Dell Business customer the BIOS chip communication is encrypted and can not be dumped or written without signed tools by software means.

We had dumped and re-written a M6700 BIOS directly from a de-soldered chip. It's an AMI BIOS but uses a propitiatory BIOS overlay for the entire menu layout which can not simply being altered without resulting in a giant mess.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it's dead end unless dell themself unlock it for us.

...and you even went so far to desoldered the chip.. found out it's an AMI bios ...

if only they haven't put that menu layout over, we would get what we wanted ..

Any M6700 owner want to scout for the HDA_SD0 signal on the systemboard? By jumpering it, you'll unlock the flash descriptor and then can use fpt.exe/fpt64.exe to take a whole bios + ME FW dump. A modded ME FW could then be created using the ME 8.x utils here. Result being an unlocked BCLK slider in XTU . That would net you an extra 5% performance.

REF:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2091-lets-enable-overclocking-all-6-7-series-laptops-24.html#post84052

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2091-lets-enable-overclocking-all-6-7-series-laptops-24.html#post84063

We did that when testing the dump, but had no effect...BCLK didn't show as ICC libs are missing.

Also at that time FPT didn't support the flash-chip either, but that was a year ago so idk...

• Thumbs Up 1

Would you like to try a software provided by Intel called Intel XTU? Maybe It can overclock your 3920XM. Due to my poor CPU, I can't try it on my 6700...

Intel XTU will not over clock on most dell precision computers, it only under clocks. In order to overclock you would need to unlock the BIOS. So far, I have not found anything via search.