Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Just to reconfirm, I simply need a basic model to use eGPU on my laptop, any extra sata/thunderbolt support is good but not mandatory for me. Currently I have 2 plans: Move my GTX 1080 TI from desktop to laptop, or buy a new GTX 1650 which claims  to run without power supply on any old PC. As long as the new adaptor can fulfill either one plan and can run stable, then it is ok for me. (though the GTX 1650 looks really interesting as a portable laptop upgrade)

11 minutes ago, jxfong2 said:

Just to reconfirm, I simply need a basic model to use eGPU on my laptop, any extra sata/thunderbolt support is good but not mandatory for me. Currently I have 2 plans: Move my GTX 1080 TI from desktop to laptop, or buy a new GTX 1650 which claims  to run without power supply on any old PC. As long as the new adaptor can fulfill either one plan and can run stable, then it is ok for me. (though the GTX 1650 looks really interesting as a portable laptop upgrade)

There will always be a base model and that’s mature.

I’m just wondering how many people are interested in the ultimate but expensive y400/500/410p/510p eGPU solution. For the laptop itself is aging, I don’t know if it’s worth investing after all.

2 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

the attach/detach process as convenient as thunderbolt does.(Not hot unpluggable tho)It might be very expensive(can make the enclosure kit above US$200 but I will try my best

same as chuchoav, I prefer the cheapest version  that provides sata. But if it gets really expensive I cant afford it.

21 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Lenovo Y510p have diffirent story, since it's have got iGPU.

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware they'd completely disabled the iGPU on the Y500.

@Swung Huang - wouldn't using OCulink create overhead and thus reduce the maximum performance of the GPU?

5 hours ago, jxfong2 said:

I would immediately forget about any solutions without power supply: While it's true that the GTX 1650 runs at just 75W and therefore doesn't need any additional power connectors, 75W is still a lot.

Even though the GT 750M is rated for 50W TDP, while GTX 1650 is 75W, I think it would be still possible to run it without a power supply, but this would need some additional work: The stock ultrabay gpu receives most of its power from the 19V line, which you will have to convert to 12V using an efficient and powerful enough step-down converter that will have to be integrated onto the ultrabay adapter's PCB.

The PCIe slot on the original ultrabay adapter actually receives power from the 24pin motherboard connector, which means you will still need a power supply for it to work.

6 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

Maybe l found an elegant way to implement this project. It can make the attach/detach process as convenient as thunderbolt does.(Not hot unpluggable tho)It might be very expensive(can make the enclosure kit above US$200 but I will try my best to find cheaper part sourcesto lower the final price). Are you interested in it and willing to let me make it alive? How many of you are willing to buy it? Let me know.

(ps. It didn’t go through the proof of concept. It should work but I don’t know if I could make it work. Let me know if you DO want to PURCHASE it.

(I’m running out of money and the R&D for this project has cost me a lot :(. If you don’t REALLY want it, I don’t want to study on it any more. It cost too much of my life and money.

For anyone who wants to dive into it, it’s called oculink.

Basic version with integrated sata will be the most demand. Option to have board separated for two pieces connected with any kind of flexible cable is also very good (one piece inside ultrabay and second as stand for gpu).

Or anyone have any idea on how to get the oculink (SFF-8611) receptacle? The only source I have found is the nvme RAID cards or nvme ssd cages.

If I could find these alone then it will cut the cost a lot.

The price of oculink cable is fairly reasonable.(about US$15)

Hi good evening I was searching for options not to waste too much money as the i7-3630qm is just 40% slower than the 9th gen Intel cpu and I came by this this is a great idea. Is Gerald still selling these? If they are still on sale I would like to know the price! And thanks in advance if you can redirect me on how to buy the adapter.

@SWANG HUANG

Maybe do a kickstarter pledge to make sure you have the budget required -

I would pay $200 for one and

$200 for the second one as I want to buy two with the oculink design.

If you can't reach funding target on kickstarter for the oculink version

but you can reach a cheaper funding target then you can be sure to have funds to do the cheaper version.

Everyone gets the cheaper version if stage one funding target is met

or if stage two funding target is met then they get the more expensive version.

If you are going to be making both - then the options to pledge include getting the cheaper version for a lower amount pledge.

Edited by Jump

On 1/30/2019 at 11:49 PM, Swung Huang said:

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

0D45B4A8-41E5-4D23-9FA2-68ACE122FB7B.jpeg

47BAB08D-C0EE-4CCB-9013-3EA3325CD04A.jpeg

E65149F9-355D-4699-9BA2-82FA8BDF9B12.jpeg

I would like this as the stage one funding option.

Edited by Jump

On 4/16/2019 at 6:50 AM, Swung Huang said:

It’s a finished product:) 

Anyone who wants it may reply to this posting and I will consider shipping them?

Won’t before June :)

I am definitely interested! I'll send you a PM.

Anyone who wants it may reply to this posting and I will consider shipping them?

Just checking in, you can count me in for one. Happy to pay a premium to compensate you for your time and sunk costs!

Hi 
i'm waiting for  a used msi gtx 970 that i bought it from ebay so i need a simple adapter to make it work on my y510p with the lowest cost possible
is that available and what is the price we talk about?
if it is  expensive i will go for selling my laptop and buying one of  budget desktop around there

On 4/16/2019 at 4:50 AM, Swung Huang said:

My current Adapter: v8.0 exp gdc laptop its a $30 dollar adapter, if you could make an affordable version it will be nice, because $200 for me feels more like getting a new GPU, than the 15% percent performance increase.

15 hours ago, EgT said:

My current Adapter: v8.0 exp gdc laptop its a $30 dollar adapter, if you could make an affordable version it will be nice, because $200 for me feels more like getting a new GPU, than the 15% percent performance increase.

There will be a cheap version of the adapter. The $200 version is just for those who wants to pay for the premium.(What’s more, it could be wayyy cheaper if I could find any cheaper sources of the receptacle of Oculink.

If anyone wants to research on that would be really cool!

On 5/11/2019 at 12:16 PM, Swung Huang said:

Or anyone have any idea on how to get the oculink (SFF-8611) receptacle? The only source I have found is the nvme RAID cards or nvme ssd cages.

If I could find these alone then it will cut the cost a lot.

The price of oculink cable is fairly reasonable.(about US$15)

i don't know exactly what you are searching for but anything will cut the cost i will help haha.  found this may help you

http://www.dgcking.com/product/PCI-Express-OCuLink-CONNECTOR.html
http://www.dgcking.com/product/PCI-Express-OCuLink-Plug.html
https://www.speedtech.com.tw/product/oculink/

http://www.jpcco.com/style/frame/m9/index_search.asp?customer_id=2503&lang=1&content_set=color_1&name_id=&Product_News_Search=&search=sff+8611
https://www.amphenol-icc.com/product-series/oculink.html/
https://www.molex.com/molex/search/deepSearch?pQuery=category%3A%22I%2FO%2BConnectors%22%40orientation%3A%22Right%2BAngle%22%40productname%3A%22Nano-Pitch%2BI%2FO%22

http://www.lotes.cc/en/product.php

On 4/16/2019 at 8:50 PM, Swung Huang said:

I just want to clarify, I would appreciate two of these as soon as possible.

Happy to also buy the oculink ones as well.

I am also really interested in the adapter.

I would take one when available.

Thanks