980M seems to be compatible with EM series

zhubonan

I have a P170EM with Radeon 7970M and Prema Mod BIOS v2 installed.

I would like to upgrade the GPU to GTX980M.

My supplier of choice (I am a bit $$$ constrained) would be RJTech.

As far as I understand this thread, I need to buy the P150SM-A variant of the card (Does it differ anyhow from the P170SM-A? Would the P170SM-A be preferable for me, since my laptop is also a 17incher?):

Laptop Video Cards :: nVidia GTX 980M 8GB Video Card for Clevo Laptops - R&J Technology, Clevo Barebone Notebook kits, Laptop and desktop system builder

Plug&play, yada, yada, yada and all I need to do is flash Prema's MXM vBIOS for Clevo GTX980M from here:

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/mxm-vbios/

After all these steps I can install drivers without modding the .inf and I can overclock the card. Is this correct?

Can anyone please corfirm/deny/correct me in my way of thinking?

Much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Mythlogic and Eurocom will send you a v3b system BIOS and a compatible vBIOS. Alternatively you can use that Prema Mod vBIOS.

Hi there, thank you for your reply.

Sorry for go digging this old post, but i still have the problem of wanting to upgrade my AMD 7970M to a Nvidia GTX 980M. I now more so because my AMD 7970M died :-(

Like i said, i have a Clevo P170EM with the P170EM_17_12_PM_v2 PremaMod system bios installed. The chance of buying a Nvidia GTX 980M from Eurocom can't go forward because the company is from Canada, and i live in Portugal, where i would pay a enormous amount in import taxes if i buy the card from Eurocom or Mythlogic :-/

I found out a german supplier that sells the Nvidia GTX980M card, and since it is within the EU i don't pay any import taxes.

But before i buy the card, i need to know if it would work with my laptop. If i install the card and flash it with your CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1.1, will it work?

I am gessing i need the v3b system BIOS, which isn't public yet, right?

If i am gessing right, are there any timeframe for the release of the v3b system BIOS?

Kind regards, thank you for all your hard work,

Rui

Hi there, thanks. But for now i would prefer to avoid to upset PREMA for now :-)

I saw at your post that you have a P170EM with GTX980M.

In the meantime i sent an email to the german suplier that sells the GTX980M, and they replied saying that i need a UEFI Bios, that i already have (P170EM_17_12_PM_v2 PremaMod system bios installed), and a modded driver. Nothing more.

I went to the laptopvideo2go site, and found out that they have the latest nvidia drivers with modded inf's.

For example, if i download this driver v353.12 Windows 8 64bit | NVIDIA Mobile OEM - GeForce r352 series - LaptopVideo2Go with the modded inf by laptopvideo2go, would i be capable of using the 980M card on my laptop?

I would not try to OC the card or anything, just using it in stock speed.

Many thanks!

Rui

Hi everyone,

just to let you know that I have installed the GTX980M into my P170EM, and it is working fine, in fact it works GREAT…

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,CLEVO P170EM

Its more dumb luck than skill that I got it working, I tried many NVidia drivers and INF files before I got it to work.

I’m using;

hope this info helps,

cheers NightFX

After Hours of hard work and and testing almost 30 drivers I finally found yours and they work like a charm on my Clevo P170EM. I can confirm that these are the only drivers that worked for me. I have done Prema Bios upgrade but I downgraded my Nvidia Bios back to factory given at Prema Site and the drivers worked. Thanks a lot.

all you have to do is modify the inf to install the driver. very easy to do but if you cant do it and want the latest driver inf i can make one for you if you wish. just keep in mind that you do have to disable driver signature enforcement in order for it to install. personally i would just put my os in test mode to avoid having to disable the signature enforcement every time windows booted

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got the card yet, so point 5 was only speculation and it's the only thing that is related to GPU apart from power-supply. For me the cpu upgrade was well worth it, but, that's personal preference.

On the otherhand, I have now done 1,2,3 (changed back to IC diamond) which are related to my cpu upgrade and 6 (power-supply) which I just received today and will be modding for full 330watts.

As for the GTX980m itself, if I successfully mod the power-supply, then, I'll get it. See how it goes. Spent £35 on tools just to do the power-supply. Wish me luck!

This is how far I've got, waiting for connector cable to come before I solder.Bixpower 6 ft DC Power Cable 16AWG with 5 5 x 2 5mm Male to Female Connectors | eBay Saves my original power-supply. Do I solder both black cables together or is one of them earth? In which case the green cable can be soldered to it? Thanks for your help.

post-11204-14495000536068_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

i'm looking for upgrade my clevo p370em gpu from 680m sli to 980m sli

my cpu i7-3820qm do i need to upgrade this too?

so the step is like:

1 buy this Eurocom VGA Images

2 swap old gpu with new one

3 instal p370em prema bios and vbios 980m

4 install nvidia 9xxm driver from eurocom Eurocom Model Drivers

5 then my card get fully performance and able to overclock?

for the prema bios for p380em which one should i download?

is that right? thank you

I think your cpu will be fine tbh Pontanx.

I've successfully completed the 330watt power-supply mod for my p150em. System is stable for over a week running cpu (3920xm) and gpu (GTX680m 4G) at defaults during gaming. 180watt kept freezing with this config (cpu changed from 3610qm). Had to run 3920xm at 31x multiplier across the board to stabilize as well as lower both oc wattages to 55watts. Would prolong period before freeze, but, now it's totally stable and cpu is able to turbo as normal.

I think for us p150em owners the power-supply is a crucial part of the process to successfully upgrade to the gtx980m. Major soldering tip; solder the dell pair of wires together first before attaching the connector end. Solder 5th wire to black.

• Thumbs Up 1

i'm looking for upgrade my clevo p370em gpu from 680m sli to 980m sli

my cpu i7-3820qm do i need to upgrade this too?

so the step is like:

1 buy this Eurocom VGA Images

2 swap old gpu with new one

3 instal p370em prema bios and vbios 980m

4 install nvidia 9xxm driver from eurocom Eurocom Model Drivers

5 then my card get fully performance and able to overclock?

for the prema bios for p380em which one should i download?

is that right? thank you

When purchasing a GTX9xxM for an EM system from one of these shops you will get a special (v)BIOS to make everything Plug'N'Play:

Mythlogic

Eurocom

Clevocenter

Illegear

Metabox

Just mail them for offers!

With that no .inf mods with any driver and also W10 will see the system as compatible and allow you to do the free upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

after upgrade to gtx980m sli and with my display is 60hz if i upgrade it to 120hz can it work? although the 3D will not work at least the fresh rate is 120Hz and when VSync enable it's not hold at 60, will it work like that?

or the system will not boot?

thank you

after upgrade to gtx980m sli and with my display is 60hz if i upgrade it to 120hz can it work? although the 3D will not work at least the fresh rate is 120Hz and when VSync enable it's not hold at 60, will it work like that?

or the system will not boot?

thank you

If I remember correctly the P370EM will only work at 60hz, fitting a 120hz screen is unlikely as uses a different connector on the motherboard (50pin for 3D and 40pin for 2D).

I also seem to remember some P370EM were fitted with both connectors (50 and 40 pins) in which case you would need to flash a 3D bios as well. You would need to check if you have a dual connector board.

• Thumbs Up 1

i bought this laptop in my country and i tell the seller "i want upgrade my np9370 display to 3D version" they tell me yes i can and i just need bring the laptop to their warehouse

may be if i upgrade it, they will change the motherboard so can fit 3D display

how about the compatibality with gtx980m? can it get the full feature of a 120hz display just like 680m sli? except the 3D vision of course

i bought this laptop in my country and i tell the seller "i want upgrade my np9370 display to 3D version" they tell me yes i can and i just need bring the laptop to their warehouse

may be if i upgrade it, they will change the motherboard so can fit 3D display

how about the compatibality with gtx980m? can it get the full feature of a 120hz display just like 680m sli? except the 3D vision of course

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there !

I'm thinking about upgrading in the upcoming months my P150EM which currently has an i7 3740QM at 2.7GHz, a GTX 675M and 16Gb of RAM.

The upgrade would obviously be a GTX 980M 8Gb. I already updated the bios to Prema's v2. The version is now 1.02.17PM v2 so I think I'm clear.

My concern is the PSU I have. It can output 180W and I don't know if it's going to be enough for all that horsepower.

I'm not planning to overclock it, but let's face it: if I buy this card it's because I want to play countless hours of recent games at ultra settings.

Will my 180W PSU be enough, or will it stop working after 20 min? Or even worst, will it burn to flames and damage my laptop?

This might sounds ridiculous, but for such a pricey laptop and GPU, I'm considering everything.

And last but not least, I'd probably buy the card at Eurocom and I live in France. How much would be the shipping cost and most importantly, will there be duties taxes?

hmmm, based on my own wattage numbers and shaving off ~40W to make up for the desktop vs. mobile cpu u should be fine with the 180W adapter. IF u leave everything at stock, that is ;)

ull have to ask eurocom for shipping costs, but ull definitely have to pay import tax! considering that, wouldnt it make more sense for you to buy the 980M here?

http://www.ceg-hardcorecustom.com/category/mobile_gpu_nvidia

theyre based in germany, give you 12 months warranty through any local clevo service center and ull also save on the shipping costs and NO import taxes (inside EU). might come out the same or cheaper than eurocom, but imho the warranty is worth it :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk