Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
gerald

Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

Recommended Posts

Hello, I have the Y510P with 2x 750M and no NGFF slot (only the Wifi slot is present), and I have 3 questions.

 

1) Does Gerald's Ultrabay adapter work with NVIDIA Cards?


2) Is it possible to use the Laptop Display with the external GPU?

3) Is it not better/easier/cheaper to have just a adapter -> cable setup instead of a whole PCB? There are a lot of eGPU adapters out there like the PE4C V3.0 and the EXP GDC that can be found anywhere and in good availability (I have one), and they use a HDMI cable as a medium to connect to the ePCIE slot running at 1x. A cable coming from the Ultrabay port and connecting to these adapters would give 8x instead of 1x.

Thanks you.



------------------------------
Edit: Even though I admire Gerald's dedication and effort to provide us this eGPU possibility, I'm not a fan of having the huge GPU this close to the Laptop, where I could hit it and damage it real quick in a gaming section, that and also the fact that my GPU sits on a partial base (and the PCB would be hanging with all the GPU weight on it), is the reason of my question #3.

I would love to have a cable/adapter that alows me to use a Geforce 1080 Ti on the Ultrabay Slot, but without having it near the Notebook or hanging.

Thank you.

Edited by AllanDavidson
something to add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. No lenovo locked nvidia cards via bios, except the ones they themselves sold for ultrabay slot.

2. You need external display.You can kind of use bouth at once, but theres more trouble with that than its worth.

3. Just use "pci-e riser cable" to put the gpu somewhare more comfortable for you.

Edited by Celestus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Would BIOS mods (like THIS one) allow me to use other GPUs?
2) Could you please elaborate more on this matter, if possible? How could I use both, and what troubles I should face?
3) Although this is kind of a solution, I still need to have the PSU nearby to connect the ATX 24pin to the PCB, but I already own a EXP GDC, that why I asked if it would be possible to have a cable solution.

Thank you for your answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Everyone!

 

I've just discovered this thread and the whole Y510p adapter thing and needless to say I'm quite fascinated with what you've accomplished so far.

 

While 5 years have passed since this laptop's release and it might be almost considered too old to get any useful performance from, I believe that the i7-4700MQ together with external GPU would be just enough to make this machine VR-capable, which is what I'm interested in. It is a shame, however, that NVIDIA GPUs are not supported.

 

I had some free time this weekend to disassemble and fiddle with Y510p's BIOS to make NVIDIA GPUs work and would like to ask if any of you were interested in testing some BIOS dumps on their machines, since I'm kind of too broke to afford the adapter, let alone the GPU which might not even work.

 

It looks like the BIOS code specifically checks whether a PCI Vendor ID is NVIDIA upon initialization, and if so, runs a test to check whether the Device ID is equal to that of the built-in GPU. This is a bit like whitelist, but is instead meant for people not accidentally plugging a GT755M ultrabay unit into their GT750M machines and vice versa and then complaining that SLI doesn't work, I believe. I have now removed this conditional check, which threw the "Unauthorized VGA card" exception and ran some extra code, but there are still places in the binary, which cause questions to me. If this attempt fails, there are at least two more approaches I have in mind to be tested.

 

So, if anyone is up for this, please let me know. Please, note that you will need an SPI Flash programmer to do this. Also, always back up your original flash dumps!!! They will not only be useful if(when) my modded dumps render your machine unbootable, but will also contain your Windows license code, which can be later integrated into modded dumps if they're successful.

 

Also, I'd appreciate any links or advice on modding the Lenovo bios update exes to allow flashing of the patched image (haven't looked into this yet). Other than that, does anyone have a working download link for V2.07 bios installer? Found it.

Edited by High_Voltage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.Nope, no succesfull bios mod is avaliable at this moment. But as you can see from previous post, some people may be trying to change that.

2. Ehh well, there ware scaling issues(with 4k monitor), some apps would start on gt755m instead of ultrabay gpu and only display on internal screen (and low performance)

    and other way around, some would only display on external screen.To be honest i dont remember all the issues as i just turned the int screen off, went with 4k ips and never looked back.

3. Gerald would have to answer that really. All i can add is thous other solutions like PE4C V3.0 and the EXP GDC  dont even come close performance wise. The adapter uses full pci-e 3.0 x8 speed and that would be enough to run one Titan V (if nvidia cards would work) without any bottleneck. Only other advice is modular psu and a longer motherboard cable combined with riser ? Besides im not sure a cable-adapter solution would be any better as im already having issues with sata cable poping out of ultrabay and its a pain to plug back in

(@David 'SOAP' Washington that may be helpfull for me :D )

 

@High_Voltage

Im sure theres plenty people willing to test , wait and they will surely pop up here overtime. For me i got vega64lc and i have no intention of changing that anytime soon, so ill pass on anymore tinkering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) So lets wait.
2) Thinking a little bit about the "normal" use of the Ultrabay port (where the GT 750M run games on the native laptop screen), I tought the Ultrabay would have some kind of video signal going back from the GPU, this is why I was under the impression that you could send signal from the eGPU back to the laptop.
3) I thought these other solutions were limited by 1x PCI-E due to the method used (NGFF and mPCIE), and if the data were provided by the Ultrabay they would work with 8x PCI-E.

 

On 1/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

Share a mod from other man with you guys , Ultrabay Adaptor & Sata3 box.

Finally, it can be locked in, and won't be plug out by accident anymore.


Wait... is this a Ultrabay adaptor that provides BOTH the eGPU access and a SATA 3 port? This is Amazing! :frantics:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AllanDavidson said:

2) Thinking a little bit about the "normal" use of the Ultrabay port (where the GT 750M run games on the native laptop screen), I tought the Ultrabay would have some kind of video signal going back from the GPU, this is why I was under the impression that you could send signal from the eGPU back to the laptop.

 

 

I used to have lots of stability issues doing this sort of thing, but with a fully updated version of Windows 10 (and the latest AMD drivers) I can duplicate or extend screens using my external monitor and the internal monitor of the keyboard. I rarely use those features, though, as the external monitor's size and native resolution far exceed those of the internal monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have bios version 1.10. Mite give it a shot to see if it works. Will get back to yall.

 

Also, I plan to buy the rx 560 4gb 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Radeon-RX-560-DirectX-12-GV-RX560GAMING-OC-4GD-REV2-0-4GB-128-Bit-GDDR5/292284094319?epid=2149983365&hash=item440d7d576f:g:1toAAOSwZcZZ2NIf

 

Are there any concerns I should have? I don't want to spend more than $200 used or new. 

Is there anything I should avoid when looking for compatible graphics cards (besides nvidia of course)

Edited by fleshyweeb
new info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, fleshyweeb said:

I have bios version 1.10. Mite give it a shot to see if it works. Will get back to yall.

 

Also, I plan to buy the rx 560 4gb 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Radeon-RX-560-DirectX-12-GV-RX560GAMING-OC-4GD-REV2-0-4GB-128-Bit-GDDR5/292284094319?epid=2149983365&hash=item440d7d576f:g:1toAAOSwZcZZ2NIf

 

Are there any concerns I should have? I don't want to spend more than $200 used or new. 

Is there anything I should avoid when looking for compatible graphics cards (besides nvidia of course)

 The 560 should be fine. Just make sure you have a PSU that can supply the necessary power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up getting an r9 290x (old but good enough for me). Will post any issues I encounter when the adapter arrives. (Hopefully not too many issues!) I hope to get it set up so I can unhook the adapter when I need to go mobile occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, some time without posting. My RX580 it`s still working like a charm, on BF1 Ultra settings 1920x1080 around 30-70 fps (Depends of conquest maps, special effects like smoke & fire). What I`m really impressed is about the current Hardware pricing for the GPU, I purchased my RX580 around 230 Euros, but at this time my GPU  (This one htps://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-gaming-4g-4gb-gddr ).  it´s sold out and are around 340Euros (That´s 48% pricier than before).

 

I guess is due the current cryptomining fashion, because these cards well worth the money for the investment.

Edited by JABKILL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow first bios update of my life with no implications at all. (YET) GPU arrived but still waiting for adapter. Why did DHL have to pass it off to USPS... :( Whoever ordered from US, how long did yours take to ship? (Neither USPS or DHL provides estimate time delivery in this case)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Andrew54 I'm sorry for your trouble, have you gotten anywhere? I bring your name up because I have an idea to what the problem may be (one that you may have thought of already and ruled out). Sadly there isn't a good solution but maybe your UltraBay connection port is damaged or at the very least finnicky, or some other internal connection is compromised in some way. Who knows, sorry thats all I got. Have you tried a new adapter? I bet Gerald would swap with you if you ship it back to him for a new one, though i won't speak for him :rofl:. I know how painful it is to put time into a project and not get results.

 

 

On a new topic, I pretty much read through the entire forums and didn't come across what I want to share now: Somehow implementing the following video with Gerald's adapter to enable Nvidia cards. Keep in mind this is a total Hail-Mary/brainstorm idea that probably won't work (I have little hardware/bios experience).... But anyways, in this video I see an Nvidia card recently being used with the y510p and YES I KNOW IT IS NOT GERALD's ADAPTER. As I don't know much about configuring the hardware and bios at all, not to mention I DONT SPEAK RUSSIAN, this is a pretty far fetched : 

 

 

If anyone speaks Russian or bothers to read 40 minutes of subtitles, let us know if it applies at all or can be used in some way.

Cheers @Tesla and @gerald seem to be the most likely candidates to shoot me down in a firey ball of stupidity and embarrassment for trying to be creative in a world where everyone is smarter than you.

Thanks,

FleshyWeeb (The Curious Beginner according to techinferno)

Edited by fleshyweeb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tesla Sorry to bother again but with the new updated model Gerald makes, the bios version change now is unneccesarry. Would there be any way you could edit or add that to your instructions list? I downgraded my bios after updating only to realize after forum browsing that I didn't need to downgrade anymore. It's nice to have the newer bios, maybe thats just me though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2018 at 6:00 AM, fleshyweeb said:

@Andrew54 I'm sorry for your trouble, have you gotten anywhere? I bring your name up because I have an idea to what the problem may be (one that you may have thought of already and ruled out). Sadly there isn't a good solution but maybe your UltraBay connection port is damaged or at the very least finnicky, or some other internal connection is compromised in some way. Who knows, sorry thats all I got. Have you tried a new adapter? I bet Gerald would swap with you if you ship it back to him for a new one, though i won't speak for him :rofl:. I know how painful it is to put time into a project and not get results.

 

 

On a new topic, I pretty much read through the entire forums and didn't come across what I want to share now: Somehow implementing the following video with Gerald's adapter to enable Nvidia cards. Keep in mind this is a total Hail-Mary/brainstorm idea that probably won't work (I have little hardware/bios experience).... But anyways, in this video I see an Nvidia card recently being used with the y510p and YES I KNOW IT IS NOT GERALD's ADAPTER. As I don't know much about configuring the hardware and bios at all, not to mention I DONT SPEAK RUSSIAN, this is a pretty far fetched : 

 

 

If anyone speaks Russian or bothers to read 40 minutes of subtitles, let us know if it applies at all or can be used in some way.

Cheers @Tesla and @gerald seem to be the most likely candidates to shoot me down in a firey ball of stupidity and embarrassment for trying to be creative in a world where everyone is smarter than you.

Thanks,

FleshyWeeb (The Curious Beginner according to techinferno)

 

He uses an mpcie solution. You get less bandwidth that way, but if you want to use such a setup rather than one with Geralt's graphics adapter you will have to remove your Wifi card in order to free up the mpcie slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018. 01. 27. at 2:48 PM, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

image.thumb.png.87ee4677ed850ffca5357488c05cdead.png

 

Share a mod from other man with you guys , Ultrabay Adaptor & Sata3 box.

Finally, it can be locked in, and won't be plug out by accident anymore.

This thing does not have nvidia support either am i right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, balint234 said:

This thing does not have nvidia support either am i right?

Probably not, unless the maker's made a new discovery s/he hasn't shared with the rest of the community yet. The problem is that the computer checks whether an NVIDIA card plugged into the Ultrabay is of the same type as the one soldered onto the motherboard as SLI otherwise won't work. If the NVIDIA card is of another type the computer will refuse to function.

 

This problem doesn't exist with AMD cards, provided you use the most recent version of Gerald's adapter or use the older version of the adapter along with an appropriate version of the BIOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bos Maior said:

Probably not, unless the maker's made a new discovery s/he hasn't shared with the rest of the community yet. The problem is that the computer checks whether an NVIDIA card plugged into the Ultrabay is of the same type as the one soldered onto the motherboard as SLI otherwise won't work. If the NVIDIA card is of another type the computer will refuse to function.

 

This problem doesn't exist with AMD cards, provided you use the most recent version of Gerald's adapter or use the older version of the adapter along with an appropriate version of the BIOS.

The problem is that currenctly the price of GPUs, especiall AMD ones are unbeliveable. I'd gladly invest into an RX 570 or 580 but at the moment their prices in hungary starts at about 650 dollars. Meanwhile I can get a 6GB 1060 for about 500 dollars. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, balint234 said:

The problem is that currenctly the price of GPUs, especiall AMD ones are unbeliveable. I'd gladly invest into an RX 570 or 580 but at the moment their prices in hungary starts at about 650 dollars. Meanwhile I can get a 6GB 1060 for about 500 dollars. :/

Get one off E-Bay? There are sellers elsewhere in the EU who offer an 570 for less than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bos Maior said:

Get one off E-Bay? There are sellers elsewhere in the EU who offer an 570 for less than that.

Yes but it isnt cheaper that much in the EU. Also if i order 1 from ebay it might gets tolled at the border.

 

On the other hand, spending this much on a card that started at 250 dollars is kind of a heartbreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By raqall
      Hi!

      I would love to have my BIOS modded to disable the wireless whitelist.
      I tried to do it myself (dump BIOS from chip, disassemble, locate the reference to the error message "Unauthorized Wireless network card is plugged in..." memory address and modify the condition in the binary file so not to "land" in the infinite loop) but I couldn't dig to anything meaningful I could easily change.

      Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad S440 (TYPE 20BB-S00400)
      BIOS version: 73ET71WW (1.71)
      Original WiFi/BT card: Intel Wireless-N 7260 (7260HMW BN) (vendor: 0x8086, device: 0x08B2, subdevice: 0x4262)
      Target WiFi/BT card: Broadcom BCM94352HMB (I haven't received it yet, waiting for delivery)

      Manufacturer BIOS download: bootable ISO, updater for Windows
      My BIOS dump (using CH341A SPI Programmer under Linux): http://www.mediafire.com/file/mn0gfr9ext7yqrn/S440_73ET71WW.bin/file
       
      Thanks!
    • By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo Y50-70, Lenovo Y70-70, Lenovo Z50-70, Lenovo Z70-70, Lenovo G50-70, Lenovo G70-70.
      If someone want upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, or unlocked vbios for overclock NVIDIA card, then you can post your request in this thread. Also, if you have a problem with fan pulsating/clicking on any modified bios then you can post your request in this thread.
       
      The flashing procedure include two steps:
      1.  Flash main system bios.
      2.  Flash EC firmware.
    • By damianalex
      Hi,
      I want to show you my new project.
      I bought my laptop about 5 years ago.  It was never speed deamon, but for every day use, it was enough to me.
       
      Its specification:
      Intel i7-4700MQ
      Nvidia GeForce GT745M
      16GB RAM
      512 SSD Adata SU800

       
      Yesterday I bought Witcher 3. Of course on 1080p it's impossible to play, because of about 10fps
       
      So I make a decision to buy external grahpic card.
      I choose GTX970 and now I am looking for occasion to buy it.
       
      I've already bought EXP GDC v8.4d mPCI-E. It is used and cost about 30$.

       
      I will use ATX PSU to supply graphic card, because I have old desktop PSU at home.
       
      My plan:
      1) unlock bios
      2) buy GTX 970
      3) enjoy Witcher 3!
       
      BTW I try to cool down my laptop, so I replaced thermal paste to Kryonout Thermal Grizzly and make some tests. Temperatures and fps are on screenshots.
       
      1) laptop on table, playing GTA V 1080p

       
      - first minute (GPU core 1045MHz)

       
      -after some time, because of high temperature and GPU throlttling (GPU core drop down even to 400MHz)

       
      2) with thermalpad Glacier NC400 SilentiumPC

      - 30 minute and longer (GPU core drop to about 900MHz)
       
      3) without down case of laptop (like on picture with thermal paste) on thermalpad.
      Here laptop never drops down MHz and max temp are about 72 Celsius degrees.

       
       
      Bacause of that I bought second down case for my laptop and I will cut there additional holes.
       
      Greetings!
       
      I will describe next step when I get all stuff I need!
       
       
    • By popozitos
      Hello everyone
      I created a case for egpu using 2.5mm acrylic sheets. The first time I created a case to support a GPU + ATX psu
      Now I created another one for the GPU with an external Xbox 360 203w psu.
      the finish was not good but for my use it is already good.
       
      *both cases album
      *Construction of the second case 
      *adapting xbox psu to 8pin power (taken from 24pin)
       
      all made by hand with the tools I had.

      from Brazil.

    • By jcrcarmo
      Hi folks,
        Greetings from Brazil!  Not sure I'm posting in the right place, but I have a question:  how do I find out the brand and model of my BIOS chip without having to open my laptop?  I can't find this information anywhere.  Been searching for days... I have a Lenovo Ideapad 300-15ISK 80RS (motherboard Paris 5A8).  Thanks a lot for your time and help! I really appreciate it!   Best regards,   JC.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.