• Founder

Could someone with 6970M Xfire run furmark multiGPU 1.82 and have two instances of GPU-Z open and report back what the differences in temperatuers are between GPU 1 and 2? My GPU 2 is reporting 10C higher temps despite having just repasted both GPUs. Looks like I may have to go back in and open up the system. BTW, the M18x is MUCH harder to open than the R2, there's a high risk of breaking something when dealing with the M18x. I would only recommend advanced users messing with it.

John, try switching to the IGP. I have mine on it right now and ALL my fans are completely turned off - the system has zero noise emission right now. :) I'm loving it and with half brightness it reported 3:50 mins of battery. Full bright shaves off about 30 mins.

It's about the same as M11x-R3 - roflmao. Even tho the fan running at the lowest doesn't bother me much on R2, this is certainly good improvement. Glad to hear isn't some crap at least. It sounds like a good machine and a proper upgrade for R2 (apart from the screen).

Hey John, does the power adapter for the M18x work with the R2?

Also, it sucks to hear that it's harder to gain access to the M18x internals. I was hoping the opposite given how the M17x-R3 was designed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I just broke one of the tabs that holds the bottom part of the control cover. No idea how it even happened as I'm very careful. I guess after opening it 3-4 times the tab just broke due to fatigue. It doesn't affect it at all, it still sits flush but knowing it broke is annoying. One of the tabs that hold down the macro key cable also came off and I had to push it back in. Very flimsy internal setup this time around, the R2 was far more solid in that sense. Given all the issues I've had, I'll probably push for a refund or exchange on Monday.

• Founder

In your case I would push for a replacement (a new one, not a refurbished) otherwise for a refund and place a new order. In either case, if the next laptop has the exact same problem the review will have very gloomy parts...

I just broke one of the tabs that holds the bottom part of the control cover. No idea how it even happened as I'm very careful. I guess after opening it 3-4 times the tab just broke due to fatigue. It doesn't affect it at all, it still sits flush but knowing it broke is annoying. One of the tabs that hold down the macro key cable also came off and I had to push it back in. Very flimsy internal setup this time around, the R2 was far more solid in that sense. Given all the issues I've had, I'll probably push for a refund or exchange on Monday.

Making me nervous about possibly popping another 4GB into those top slots.

Making me nervous about possibly popping another 4GB into those top slots.

Maybe that's the reason why Dell is taking so much money to pop them 4 you...

Sorry Joker to hear about those tabs... Knowing how experienced you are... it's, at least, affrighting for the rest of us...

Edited by Warp(d)Alien

But in another 8GB in the upper slots. Not as bad as I thought it would be, a little nerve wracking prying the keyboard bezel piece up, but once that is done very easy. If your just after the memory slots you don't need to unplug the pieces the bezel folds up and the keyboard down. Also you don't need to remove the left most keyboard screw as the programmable keys are on a separate board and that screw holds it in place.

• Founder
But in another 8GB in the upper slots. Not as bad as I thought it would be, a little nerve wracking prying the keyboard bezel piece up, but once that is done very easy. If your just after the memory slots you don't need to unplug the pieces the bezel folds up and the keyboard down. Also you don't need to remove the left most keyboard screw as the programmable keys are on a separate board and that screw holds it in place.

Yep it's very nerve wracking and be sure you check all that bezels tabs when you finish because one of mine at the bottom broke off after opening it 3-4 times. I'm going to create a video guide of how to tear down an M18x soon, probably tonight if time permits and I'll toss it in the review. Decided to keep my M18x order and have them send me a replacement. Need my system for school and can't wait on a refund + reorder. Here's hoping my next one doesn't have any GPU anomalies!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep it's very nerve wracking and be sure you check all that bezels tabs when you finish because one of mine at the bottom broke off after opening it 3-4 times. I'm going to create a video guide of how to tear down an M18x soon, probably tonight if time permits and I'll toss it in the review. Decided to keep my M18x order and have them send me a replacement. Need my system for school and can't wait on a refund + reorder. Here's hoping my next one doesn't have any GPU anomalies!

Great news you are going for a replacement. Now you can continue providing vital information on your faulty one. I say we all hop over to NBR and tell steviejones that Micheal Dell himself is going to deliver it to you. Na

• Founder
Great news you are going for a replacement. Now you can continue providing vital information on your faulty one. I say we all hop over to NBR and tell steviejones that Micheal Dell himself is going to deliver it to you. Na

lol guess you saw that disaster of a thread too?

Ok a little update . use alienrespawn. Burn your discs people lol.

Anyway the driver disc is nice and well setup but is missing the alienware specific programs.

That said it weighs 12.35 lbs still like it even though I've spent most my time with it reinstalling drivers.

• Founder

Most of the AW programs you can just grab off their website. I don't like the respawn disc cuz it creates a restore partition on your drive and wastes space.

I didn't cancel my order btw, because I actually remembered something while browsing NBR. PRICE factor, I totally forgot about it; all I thought about was having new GPUs lol. If it arrives with any problem that annoys me, then it's heading straight back.

Most of the AW programs you can just grab off their website. I don't like the respawn disc cuz it creates a restore partition on your drive and wastes space.

I feel the same way so the moment I turn the system on I usually burn that dvd to have a way to return it to factory state... then I go straight to a clean install..why waste SSD space on a poorly designed recovery partition.

I feel the same way so the moment I turn the system on I usually burn that dvd to have a way to return it to factory state... then I go straight to a clean install..why waste SSD space on a poorly designed recovery partition.

MW86- Do you use the alienware respawn or do you make a set of Windows recovery disks?