NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

After I read your post I went back and looked at what you did. You definitely did better in your 880M trial. However, all things aren't equal. Overclocked I was pulling close to 240w from the wall on my 230w PSU. Doesn't really matter in my case as I am limited by my thermals anyway.

We are only talking about stock.

And a single 880M/CPU can pull around 330W.

As to your thermals. I would pay more attention to everything else other than the core. The core is not what is causing the problem. And depending on how easy you can tell is based on how you can check your gpu while the machine is on and running.

We are only talking about stock.

And a single 880M/CPU can pull around 330W.

As to your thermals. I would pay more attention to everything else other than the core. The core is not what is causing the problem. And depending on how easy you can tell is based on how you can check your gpu while the machine is on and running.

I understand. I haven't checked my Kill-a-watt at stock setting since I updated with the modded vbios.

I am just saying that at stock settings my GPU reaches 88c on Firestrike. That seems a bit toasty to me. The back of the laptop is raised and I have my fan at max. Room temp is about 73f.

soo, there they are :)

thanks again to svl7 and whoever else that made this custom vbios possible.

as soon as im home i will test the 880M-bios on my m17xR4 and hopefully unlock its full potential :D

I could only get about +50MHz on the GPU before I flashed. The card would crash and reset the driver. Then I pushed voltage up and got so much throttle that it would run slower than at stock settings which was counter productive. The card no longer throttles with the modded vbios and runs games very well at stock clocks. Right now I am just trying to control heat. I am thinking that for everyday use stock clocks are going to be it for me.

That's disheartening. It seems that the 880 won't be getting the speeds the 780 has hit then between the RAM and core because it's a ball of fire. I'll let you know what happens with my repasting and flashing. I'm not happy with these hitting 87C with stock clocks but it's also Clevo's fault for their fan tables being designed to not hit 100% until 91C too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ok, maybe i didn't say it clear enough...:smug:

it is not your core that is generating the most heat. at stock or over clocked.

Most likely my cranium is not soft enough. :D

I got it now!

- - - Updated - - -

That's disheartening. It seems that the 880 won't be getting the speeds the 780 has hit then between the RAM and core because it's a ball of fire. I'll let you know what happens with my repasting and flashing. I'm not happy with these hitting 87C with stock clocks but it's also Clevo's fault for their fan tables being designed to not hit 100% until 91C too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The 880M is faster stock than the 780M so I am not sure where you are coming from with this statement.

The 780M and 880M are virtually the same card. The 880M carries more memory and it happens to be better memory to boot if I remember correctly from Johnksss review.

If you have a 780M the 880M isn't worth getting (in my opinion). If you are getting a new system, the 880M is the top card at the moment. That will likely change when nVidia releases whatever will be the Flagship Maxwell flavor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most likely my cranium is not soft enough. :D

I got it now!

- - - Updated - - -

The 880M is faster stock than the 780M so I am not sure where you are coming from with this statement.

The 780M and 880M are virtually the same card. The 880M carries more memory and it happens to be better memory to boot if I remember correctly from Johnksss review.

If you have a 780M the 880M isn't worth getting (in my opinion). If you are getting a new system, the 880M is the top card at the moment. That will likely change when nVidia releases whatever will be the Flagship Maxwell flavor.

No worries Brother Smiley. All is good

This 880m is a weird one to say the least.

I'm talking specifically about the overclocks that have been achieved on the 780M.

Catzilla Computer Benchmark - ShowTopList

You can see Fox and John's 780M's then my 880M right below John's (although that was out of the box, we will see what happens with the vBIOS mod) - their memory clock rates are 250MHz over ours. It was my understanding that the memory on the 880M isn't going to be able to go that high as is par for the course with larger memory modules. I'll test it out tomorrow, I just got the UPS email telling me they scheduled my desktop parts and my thermal paste from Amazon for tomorrow.

I'm talking specifically about the overclocks that have been achieved on the 780M.

You can see Fox and John's 780M's then my 880M right below John's (although that was out of the box, we will see what happens with the vBIOS mod) - their memory clock rates are 250MHz over ours. It was my understanding that the memory on the 880M isn't going to be able to go that high as is par for the course with larger memory modules. I'll test it out tomorrow, I just got the UPS email telling me they scheduled my desktop parts and my thermal paste from Amazon for tomorrow.

Don't fret. Overclocking at that level is more than just installing some software and moving some sliders. I never expected to replicate Johnsss and Mr. Fox's results. I just wanted my shiny new 880M to not throttle under normal (gaming) loads, and that's what I got so I am happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just so everyone is fully aware, I am no expert. I simply flashed my vbios with svl7 and johnksss work. I am standing on their shoulders. Mr. Fox has been very helpful as well. I take no credit for what has been done.

To answer your question, Johnksss did a full review of the 880M and what it can do here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/6158-my-nvidia-gtx-880m-test-run-review.html

I am not able to duplicate his results because:

1) I have different hardware.

2) I do not have the unique knowledge and experience of Johnksss and svl7.

3) I am not willing to put my hardware at risk to really push things. I use this thing for work and play is secondary. I can't afford the down time if I blow it up. (Not saying Johnksss can either, I am only speaking for myself...)

has anyone in here already tried to flash the 880M-bios on an alienware-system and can confirm deadsmiley´s oberservation regarding the oc-potential ?

Keep in mind that those benches you saw from me and John not only required a lot of time and effort, trial and error, but we are not relying on the standard amount of power from a stock AC adapter. To a large extent a laptop (any brand, really) is going to be limited by it's AC adapter and power handling capacity. This is a serious Achilles' Heel for the Alienware 18. Fortunately for M17x and Alienware 17 owners, a single 330W AC adapter is plenty for crazy overclocking with a single 780M/880M. However, two of them run out of mojo with a fairly moderate OC. So, yes... using a stock AC adapter you can expect some limitations, but it's not so much the GPU as not having enough power to sustain it. Unless you do some kind of mod, you probably should not expect to hit numbers close to those results. I can guarantee that you will barely reach 1GHz on the GPU core overclock if you have a 4930MX overclocked in an Alienware 18 with 780M/880M SLI because the 330W AC adapter simply doesn't cut it. That was good enough back in the days of 6990M CF and 580M SLI, but it's not even close to adequate now. And, to make matters worse, the Alienware 18 cannot even use all of the power the 330W AC adapter makes available because it has some sort of power handling limitation that shuts down the system before the AC adapter reaches maximum output. It's basically designed to play games at stock clock speeds, or close to it, and whatever small bit of headroom might have been available was disabled in manufacturing. Look at the power draw demonstrated in this video.

I see you did not pay close attention to my review either. LOL

I see you did not pay close attention to my review either. LOL

To be fair, my short term memory is completely shot. But I pretty much knew that we wouldn't see the kind of results that you guys got, however, its disappointing that my particular cards don't like any bump on the stock vbios. It doesn't give me any sort of faith that this card will even achieve the modest overclock that deadsmiley managed.

Amazon shipped my MX-4 with 2-day shipping but UPS delayed it a day so I won't have it til Thursday. I'll see what happens then. Stupid UPS. This is not just holding up my laptop, all of my desktop parts are arriving between tomorrow and Wednesday as well and I have to wait for my MX-4. I'm getting annoyed not being able to play Watch Dogs >_<

The newest nvidia drivers give Watchdogs a nice performance bump. In the mean time what is stopping you from flashing the vbios?

Just watch the temps and shut it down if they run away from you.

An 880M that doesn't throttle is a beautiful thing.

Johnksss has alluded that my GPU is not the source of my heat issues. I looked at what his temps are and some others with the NP8278 like mine and I can only conclude that I am missing something. I just need to figure out what it is on this machine. wink.png.pagespeed.ce.SNEods9ahz.png

The newest nvidia drivers give Watchdogs a nice performance bump. In the mean time what is stopping you from flashing the vbios?

Just watch the temps and shut it down if they run away from you.

An 880M that doesn't throttle is a beautiful thing.

Johnksss has alluded that my GPU is not the source of my heat issues. I looked at what his temps are and some others with the NP8278 like mine and I can only conclude that I am missing something. I just need to figure out what it is on this machine. ;)

Well I had flashed a test vbios and it bricked my cards... I had them separated from the heatsink three or four times so I need to clean up the thermal paste and reapply it. Besides, when I stuck it in the Alienware, whatever goop they used got on my 880M's die. So yeah, I don't want to risk it. One scare this week was more than enough.

As for the heat, I'm curious too because my 880M's run quite hot as well. Watch Dogs kicks em up to the 80s stock.

Now I am really tempted to get myself a GTX880M for my MSI GT60-ONE. So you guys with a GTX880m vcards does'nt throttle with the modded vbios by svl7? It's nice to see those 8xx vbios series here for download :-).. But wait ... do i have to change my cpu/gpu heatsink too? tnx

Well I had flashed a test vbios and it bricked my cards... I had them separated from the heatsink three or four times so I need to clean up the thermal paste and reapply it. Besides, when I stuck it in the Alienware, whatever goop they used got on my 880M's die. So yeah, I don't want to risk it. One scare this week was more than enough.

As for the heat, I'm curious too because my 880M's run quite hot as well. Watch Dogs kicks em up to the 80s stock.

What Alienware system are you running? It might help to put that in your signature.

What Alienware system are you running? It might help to put that in your signature.

Yeah, I will put my Sager and my old Alienware in the signature. I don't use the Alienware anymore but it saved my ass when my Sager wouldn't POST with the messed up vbios cards. Its an old M17x R1. Never really thought that machine would save my ass but it did.

Keep in mind that those benches you saw from me and John not only required a lot of time and effort, trial and error, but we are not relying on the standard amount of power from a stock AC adapter. To a large extent a laptop (any brand, really) is going to be limited by it's AC adapter and power handling capacity. This is a serious Achilles' Heel for the Alienware 18. Fortunately for M17x and Alienware 17 owners, a single 330W AC adapter is plenty for crazy overclocking with a single 780M/880M. However, two of them run out of mojo with a fairly moderate OC. So, yes... using a stock AC adapter you can expect some limitations, but it's not so much the GPU as not having enough power to sustain it. Unless you do some kind of mod, you probably should not expect to hit numbers close to those results. I can guarantee that you will barely reach 1GHz on the GPU core overclock if you have a 4930MX overclocked in an Alienware 18 with 780M/880M SLI because the 330W AC adapter simply doesn't cut it. That was good enough back in the days of 6990M CF and 580M SLI, but it's not even close to adequate now. And, to make matters worse, the Alienware 18 cannot even use all of the power the 330W AC adapter makes available because it has some sort of power handling limitation that shuts down the system before the AC adapter reaches maximum output. It's basically designed to play games at stock clock speeds, or close to it, and whatever small bit of headroom might have been available was disabled in manufacturing. Look at the power draw demonstrated in this video.

Is there no way at all to increase the power to the AW18? If Dell locked it down some knowledgeable person should be able to unlock it.

• Brian featured this topic