Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Totally agree, But given the current situation with prices and availability, I'd say it ain't bad idea to keep it. I almost wanted to pull the trigger on a brand new ryzen mini itx but the gains compared to a fully loaded y510p isn't worth it. I've been thinking to buy a top end haswell chip(like 4940MX) but not sure about the VRMs. I can still live with DDR3L memory just fine.

If you have a y410/510p which is i5 based,it's likely you could only get the 35w tdp i7. Or they will not be turbo as they should be.(for the VRM have a phase missing on these mobos) For i7 based ones, I got a bga to lga converter and a 4980HQ which works perfectly.

11 hours ago, AllanDavidson said:

@Swung Huang could make me and sell you version of the adapter? There is some tests I would like to do.

Thank you

Maybe i'm no gonna sell them. I hand-made them. Repeating the process is really frustrating.

Hey not sure if anyone was wondering if I got my setup working again, but if you were here's the skinny.

Turns out that my GTX 780 got toasted by a bad PSU.

Got me a new PSU and joined the Red Team with a Sapphire Nitro+ Pro Special Edition RX580 (It's blue!)

Now it's working waaaay better than my old card- no surprises there.

Also, is it just me or does the Radeon software look miles better than GeForce Experience?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 28/04/2018 at 3:52 PM, Luthercorp said:

Hey not sure if anyone was wondering if I got my setup working again, but if you were here's the skinny.

Turns out that my GTX 780 got toasted by a bad PSU.

Got me a new PSU and joined the Red Team with a Sapphire Nitro+ Pro Special Edition RX580 (It's blue!)

Now it's working waaaay better than my old card- no surprises there.

Also, is it just me or does the Radeon software look miles better than GeForce Experience?

Sorry to hear about your GTX 780!

I like the Radeon software, especially since it doesn't require you to sign up to NVIDIA's telemetry programme.

Hi.

Can someone make video tutorial for the whole thing adaptor and Bios installation for Y500 650m version it seems lots of people are in the whole setup but are hesitant because of not knowing the whole procedure.

Ty

1 hour ago, NAVIBOY said:

Hi.

Can someone make video tutorial for the whole thing adaptor and Bios installation for Y500 650m version it seems lots of people are in the whole setup but are hesitant because of not knowing the whole procedure.

Ty

Here is bios and excelent manual for Y500. I also have Y500-gt650m. Was very easy to instal. Read meticulously and do it step by step. Now i use rx560 on 2 external and internal displays.

Edited by Kuneroll
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am astounded by the progress this community has made over the years, really well done! The BIOS mod is juts awesome!

I have a favor to ask:

Can someone upload an HD picture of Gerald's board (I want to see how it's wired)

Looking at this image, I just noted that there is a strange connector between the Standard SATA connector and the Ultra Bay connector.

lenovo_y510p_VIQY1_NM-A032_gtx755_gtx750

What is the purpose of this connector? It is used to house another Drive instead of the eGPU?

s-l1600.jpg

So, I can use the eGPU and this adapter at the same time?

53 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

Looking at this image, I just noted that there is a strange connector between the Standard SATA connector and the Ultra Bay connector.

What is the purpose of this connector? It is used to house another Drive instead of the eGPU?

s-l1600.jpg

As I mentioned before, it IS just another standard SATA connector. It is originally for the optical drive. So it is just running at SATA2 speed(3Gbps)

58 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

s-l1600.jpg

As I mentioned before, it IS just another standard SATA connector. It is originally for the optical drive. So it is just running at SATA2 speed(3Gbps)

Look at my box design below.That SSD is for that(Actually it won't reach its full speed lol)

2d6160949afcba4c.jpg

-4021448e474a6412.jpg

-42f3cdfa24460f18.jpg

42d1692f8836d3a0.jpg

-2807b37b93534c.jpg

-110e5e841197e9b8.jpg

22392b54cbb2cb69.jpg

And here's a good news for you. I' gonna sell my design(w/ wires and cases)to you. I will start the work if 20 people are going to buy it at least. It'll be priced at 140EUR. Anyone interested? The image about this design is shown above.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

Look at my box design below.That SSD is for that(Actually it won't reach its full speed lol)

Awesome!

I use the laptop both at Work and Home, it would be way better to have the 2nd SSD inside the laptop (instead of carrying a external USB case like I do right now).

Since I'm gonna need both a internal SATA to ODD conversor and your eGPU adapter, there may be a few issues. =/

In the end, What Im gonna need is a SATA+eGPU Combo, and I'm still figuring out how I goona do it without being too complicated.

Maybe something just like @David 'SOAP' Washington did, I don't know.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

image.thumb.png.87ee4677ed850ffca5357488c05cdead.png

Share a mod from other man with you guys , Ultrabay Adaptor & Sata3 box.

Finally, it can be locked in, and won't be plug out by accident anymore.

But @Swung Huang I appreciate your willing to make it and sell it. Thank you! :D

13 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

Awesome!

I use the laptop both at Work and Home, it would be way better to have the 2nd SSD inside the laptop (instead of carrying a external USB case like I do right now).

Since I'm gonna need both a internal SATA to ODD conversor and your eGPU adapter, there may be a few issues. =/

In the end, What Im gonna need is a SATA+eGPU Combo, and I'm still figuring out how I goona do it without being too complicated.

Maybe something just like @David 'SOAP' Washington did, I don't know.

But @Swung Huang I appreciate your willing to make it and sell it. Thank you! :D

Ah, my box have the 2.5' drive bay in it. so... You can put 2drives (1SATA+1ngff or mSATA)+1 external(connected at the ODD SATA) and you can have the drive in your eGPU box(Something like Martis Venus)

21 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

Ah, my box have the 2.5' drive bay in it. so... You can put 2drives (1SATA+1ngff or mSATA)+1 external(connected at the ODD SATA) and you can have the drive in your eGPU box(Something like Martis Venus)

I got bad luck, my y510p model 20217 does not have a NGFF/mSata, I just got 1 single SATA port. =/

Just to make sure you understand what I said, I was thinking if it was possible to have the 2nd drive inside the ultrabay slot, and your eGPU Ultrabay adaptor to be connected on the outside, Like this example (just to illustrate), where the mPCI is outside:

GEgo4c7MmfA_unnamed.jpg

Off course, this way it would be required to have a internal PCB with both SATA ODD and PCI-E Ultrabay adapters, and a external cable connector, which I don't know if is possible with your current design.

This way I would kill 3 rabbits with just one shot (2nd internal SSD, eGPU support and a Plug-in adapter)

Thank you mister!

Edited by AllanDavidson