Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

I have designed an adapter for the ultrabay slot to plug desktop graphic cards into a Y510p.

The BIOS starts with "Unauthorized Slave vga ...". Need help for a new BIOS without PCIe check on Ultrabay.

• Thumbs Up 5

You should prbly address the issue in this thread maybe:

And also can you take some pictures, and maybe links to whatever adapters or hardware you bought to make such and adapter? 

Since your the first to make this sort of adapter, i think people like me wanting this kind of solution would apprecicate some kind of proof af a working adapter, and if you want someone to modifiy the bios for this, i guess they would also appreciate pictures of a working adapter. 

Not that i'm doubting you, but this is so interesting and something i have wanted to do for a long time and never had the time even start such a project. If we can make this happen, i guess the y510p and other almost could live forever. :sorcerer:

This adapter is a new development. The first version has some drawbacks but it works.

You need an additional PSU for it to work because of the high power requirements of such a desktop GPU. 

I will start a kickstarter project asap because I am sure the whole Y510p community is waiting for this graphic boost ;-)

IMG_1896.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

14 hours ago, gerald said:

This adapter is a new development. The first version has some drawbacks but it works.

You need an additional PSU for it to work because of the high power requirements of such a desktop GPU. 

I will start a kickstarter project asap because I am sure the whole Y510p community is waiting for this graphic boost ;-)

IMG_1896.jpg

Amazing work! Truly appreciated! 

Currently the adapter is working as a PCIe x1 connection. The next version will support PCIe x8. This means a boost by 8 compared to some products which supports the WLAN interface as a eGPU connection. And another big advantage is no need to change the BIOS. No new whitelist is needed for this adapter.

Y400 up to Y510p supports the ultrabay adapter. So yes, this adapter should works also in a Y500. Unfortunately I have no Y500 to test the functionality.

What do you want to know?

I found the schematics of the Y510p mainboard in a forum and started investigation on the connector. It's a special connector from TycoElectronics. After that I designed the board, checked the impedance and layer stickup, routed it and ordered a PCB. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Brian pinned this topic