US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Are you able to use that without a powered riser? How does the Zotac card work compared to the recommended EVGA cards regarding optimus?

Actually, I have not been able to test this setup yet. I'm waiting on my TB-enabled G46VW motherboard to arrive. It may very well need a powered riser, but I know that people have gotten a 760, 780 Ti, and other cards to work without a riser.

Also, what do you mean by "recommended" EVGA cards?

Actually, I have not been able to test this setup yet. I'm waiting on my TB-enabled G46VW motherboard to arrive. It may very well need a powered riser, but I know that people have gotten a 760, 780 Ti, and other cards to work without a riser.

Also, what do you mean by "recommended" EVGA cards?

If I have understood it correctly some users are reporting that they need an extra restart of Windows to enable Optimus with other brands than EVGA (example post - see more information in this post).

If I have understood it correctly some users are reporting that they need an extra restart of Windows to enable Optimus with other brands than EVGA (example post - see more information in this post).

I have noticed this same, here is the 3rd report that Optimus is not working perfectly with a MSI card:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7879-%5Bguide%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post107838

I guess he never got it working when external display connected, but some success without external display. There might be other brands supporting Optimus as well as EVGA. Sonnet SEL & EVGA is a perfect combination.

Coincidentally, received the following from a Haswell Macbook Air user. Different notebook but Apple firmware behaviour should be comparable:

I have rob a macbook air from a friend for testing. The UEFI install works great (much better than on my macbook pro retina), I can connect any eGPU and it works perfectly.

But something special append:

- If I but without any eGPU (the "standard" macbook setup) the intel HD 5000 is visible in the device manager.

- But if I plug the eGPU before booting the mac, the eGPU become the main gpu and the HD 5000 disappear from the device manager 0.0. So I can use the lucid virtu to display eGPU render on the internal screen because there is no iGPU detected.

Special bootup sequence to engage NVidia Optimus accelerated internal LCD mode

Based on above quoted text, what is happening is the Apple firmware sets the eGPU are the primary display and disengages the iGPU if it's detected on bootiup. It's bootup behaviour exactly the same as if it's the dGPU-equipped Macbook Pros.

That will mean no Optimus in Windows. The solution is to have some sort of PCI Reset Delay for the eGPU so the iGPU is seen and activated first. Things to try to do that being:

- reportedly works: use Evo*'s special UEFI configuration files that do a 'apple_set_os" grub2 initiative to enable the iGPU needed for Optimus internal LCD mode as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8106-%5Bwip%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx760%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-a.html#post110489

- reportedly works: unplug the AKiTiO internal yellow/black cable until after post, then plug it back in.

- reportedly works here: halt OS load with OPTION key, power on AKiTiO Thunder2.

- halt OS bootup with OPTION key, plug in the Thunderbolt cable and proceed OS boot. Does this do it??

- try unplugging the PCIe power connectors, halt OS bootup with OPTION key, plug back in and proceed to load Windows. Does this do it??

2013+ Macbook Pros GT750M model has no accelerated internal LCD mode in Windows

These cannot enable the iGPU under Windows due to Apple firmware, so no accelerated internal LCD mode. For that reason the Iris Pro models are preferred. H

A very techie hack possible to change that?

It's conceivable that the GT750M model Macbook Pro could bootup with just the iGPU if the dGPU was disabled electrically or removed off the PCIe bus somehow *before* boot.

The best way of achieving that would be someone saving the Apple firmware using the Series-8 fpt/fpt64 tool, modifying it it then writing it back to the flash eeprom. That is how PC notebooks work so I'm making a large assumption here that Apple does the same.

Another method would be to pull apart the Macbook and nuke the dGPU from operating at all. That would require lifting or disconnecting say the Vcc pins on the GT750M dGPU chip itself. Obviously not something you'd want to do while under warranty but I'll put the idea out there.

Hopefully Apple will intervene with an updated firmware so users don't need to resort to any of these warranty-voiding mods to enable the iGPU under Windows.

I have noticed this same, here is the 3rd report that Optimus is not working perfectly with a MSI card:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7879-%5Bguide%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post107838

I guess he never got it working when external display connected, but some success without external display. There might be other brands supporting Optimus as well as EVGA. Sonnet SEL & EVGA is a perfect combination.

Well I had it working but somehow it stoped working. Had to send the card back to the webshop, as it had too loud coil noise. Replacment card arrived today after 2 weeks waiting. Will be able to do further testing on monday night.

I will get this setup in a few days:

New Macbook Pro 15 with the Iris Pro

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box

PCIe 16x to 16x Powered Riser (Molex connector)

Asus Strix GTX 970 (4GB)

Corsair RM550

Still waiting for the AKiTiO box and Macbook, but both are here tuesday/wednesday next week. I will be able to test the optimus problems and other stuff. So if you need me to test anything, let me know :)

• Thumbs Up 2

I will get this setup in a few days:

New Macbook Pro 15 with the Iris Pro

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box

PCIe 16x to 16x Powered Riser (Molex connector)

Asus Strix GTX 970 (4GB)

Corsair RM550

Still waiting for the AKiTiO box and Macbook, but both are here tuesday/wednesday next week. I will be able to test the optimus problems and other stuff. So if you need me to test anything, let me know :)

Great are you a student or a pro with editing works likr videos photos for a living? Dang I too want such a setup...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Great are you a student or a pro with editing works likr videos photos for a living? Dang I too want such a setup...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'm a .NET(C#) + Xamarin developer and use Illustrator and Photoshop alot for interface design. Also using it for editing photos, but not in anyway pro. And then there is gaming, I still play alot of games despite not having that much time anymore. Looking forward to playing the new Far Cry 4 soon :)

I have a lot of freezes with my current setup. It is probably because my GTX 660 is only running on a single 6-pin PCIe power connector plus powered riser so the power supply (I assume) is pretty tight (75W 6-pin + 75W which share power between PCIe and thunderbolt board). I will try to borrow a 660 with 2 PCIe power connectors to see if it helps.

Does anyone think replacing the included TB cable will help? with normal TB cable it will provide around 10W to connected device but the TB cable included in the box is much thinner than normal cable so I think it doesn't provide any power at all because Akitio think it will get power from the PSU.

While I sit here looking at my unusable 970+Akitio setup - waiting for my Thunderbolt mobo, which finally has been sent from Aliexpress - I'm wondering if there is a good way to get the unfinished metal inside of the inner case to match the nice black outside. Any thoughts on painting/dying/etc. the inner portion of the Akitio case?

hi guys

new user here just wanting to reply to this thread. i'ts gotten quite long so it's hard for me to find the answer i'm looking for.

my question is, would I be able to purchase this GPU (Zotac GeForce 660GTX) and install it to the Akitio for my 2012 Macbook Air and run it directly from the Macbook Air's screen? I don't plan on using an external monitor. It is a very short GPU that i already use in my mITX PC.

my main concern is whether it will require some hacking to get the proper power it requires or if it's good to go. i plan to use it on the go a lot, but I would not want to have to lug around an external PSU just to get it to work. I'm wondering if this GPU is good enough to use:

1. Macbook Air

2. Akitio eGPU enclosure + TB cable

3. supplied AC adapter

and nothing else? can anyone point me in the right direction for a solution to what I'm looking for?

EDIT: I will only be using this for OSX and not Windows.

Here is a good news, Gigabyte just built a Mini-ITX GTX 970 that's only 12cm wide

Gigabyte Builds First Mini-ITX GTX 970 Graphics Card

Aw was about to post the same thing you beat me to it mate! kudos!

here's an image of it;

Picture3_w_600.png

And the new ASUS G751JY has a thunderbolt 2 port (most probably) port to so mind you guys, ya'll got cash to splash this laptop is the joint!!!

asus-asus-rog-g751-g751jy-t7004h-2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, just a quick question. Would something like this work? A 4pin molex power supply similar to this one: Amazon.com: 110v AC to DC 12v Power Supply with 4pin Molex (5000mA): Electronics + 16x to 16x powered riser like this one: Amazon.com: PCIe 16x to 16x Powered Flexible Riser Extender Cable with Molex (Bitcoin Mining / Gaming): Electronics + Graphics card that wouldn't need any external power like this one: Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti Superclock w/G-SYNC Support 2GB GDDR5 128bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, HDMI, DP 1.2 Graphics Card (02G-P4-3753-KR): Computers & Accessories + Akitio. I am looking for as compact implementation as possible.

Here is a good news, Gigabyte just built a Mini-ITX GTX 970 that's only 12cm wide

Gigabyte Builds First Mini-ITX GTX 970 Graphics Card

Do you guys think this will overheat if run in the Thunder2 with the case closed?

Also, first post - awesome Forum! I stumbled upon the Akitio here, and will get one myself soon ;)

Can confirm that my eGPU setup with AKiTiO and GTX 970 is working in OSX 10.10 Yosemite.

Hey, can you do me a favor? can you please perform 5 consecutive benchmark test with Unigine (on ultra settings) and see if you won't encounter any Freezing Kernel Panic issue?

I'm contemplating of selling my akitio board and will just settle with Sonnet III-D. My Akitio is just basically sitting on the table. Our local store doesn't have any 970 or 980 card as of yet so I can't test with these cards. I did however tried GT 750 Ti FTW, and I was able to benchmark without any issues.

Ok, can do that. But I was running Valley for more than 30min straight in Windows 8.1 today without any problems. But can do that as well in OSX today.

Edit: stable in OSX 10.10 since 30min Valley in a loop.

Edit2: stable since 1h :)

Ok, can do that. But I was running Valley for more than 30min straight in Windows 8.1 today without any problems. But can do that as well in OSX today.

Edit: stable in OSX 10.10 since 30min Valley in a loop.

Edit2: stable since 1h :)

WOW! Is this continuous test right? and you are running the benchmark on an external monitor? Are you using a riser or your card is directly on the board?

Can you also try playing some youtube vids, while the benchmark is running?

WOW! Is this continuous test right? and you are running the benchmark on an external monitor? Are you using a riser or your card is directly on the board?

Can you also try playing some youtube vids, while the benchmark is running?

Yes, I didn't leave the Valley app, just restarted the benchmark as soon it was finished. But because I was always in the app, the 3D load was even between the benchmarks.

Valley + youtube in Safari is working. I get a "Safari crashed" warning, but Safari & YT are still working.

I am using two riser. Ordered first a flexible molex powered riser, but its capacitors are blocking the card from beeing installed into my CoolerMaster Elite 130 case. So I ordered a solid riser board which is just reorientating the PCIe slot by 90°.

So the setup is GTX970 - 90°riser board - flexible riser (powered with molex) - AKiTiO

eGPU performance can't be directly transfered to the internal display.

Had to start Valley in windowed mode to drag that window onto the internal screen. Performance drops (of course) onto 83,5%.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12888[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12889[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12890[/ATTACH]