PASCAL-MXM & P-SERIES REFRESH

2 hours ago, octiceps said:

GeCube? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. I remember they used to be an AIB partner for ATi (yes, ATi) Radeon desktop cards. I thought they were defunct for years.

Edit: That Taobao link still shows 2000 yuan (300 USD) for the RX 480, at least for me. Compared to the 8GB desktop card, might be the most reasonably priced MXM I've ever seen LOL. MXM card has slower memory though (7GHz like DT RX 480 4GB).

I thought GeCube is a small company, didn't know they have big projects before.

Found out there are two product pages for the RX480, this one is showing 3500 Yuan, the one before don't know why it's still 2000 Yuan.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-10254001544.22.CFdHRX&id=538462606241

But anyway, the interesting thing might not be the inefficient RX480. Some users who own the old Clevo or Alienware asked the dealer about the possibility of making standard mxm 1070 or 1080. The dealer replied said it's possible if the order is big enough (assuming over 200 cards). Seems like this is a good hope for maxwell or kelpler users to upgrade, if the market is big enough probably will motivate the manufacture (GeCube) to make it.

• Thumbs Up 4

45 minutes ago, coolane said:

But anyway, the interesting thing might not be the inefficient RX480. Some users who own the old Clevo or Alienware asked the dealer about the possibility of making standard mxm 1070 or 1080. The dealer replied said it's possible if the order is big enough (assuming over 200 cards). Seems like this is a good hope for maxwell or kelpler users to upgrade, if the market is big enough probably will motivate the manufacture (GeCube) to make it.

Big if true. Should spread the word.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I wonder if everyone that buys a new P870DM3 will be eligible for this? Loved GOW for PC (still play it from time to time) and glad to see if finally coming back to PC... where it belongs.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10s...ndle?ncid=em-ded-nl-156#cid=eBlast_GearofWar4

correct link here:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/gears-of-war-4-bundle

but its the windows store version though :(

2 hours ago, octiceps said:

Yeah unfortunately GoW4 is a W10 Store exclusive, unless they pull a Quantum Break after release.

Well, that really sucks Redmond Monkey balls. If they don't do that, then I guess I won't be playing GoW4.

I don't let that filth on my systems. I've got no Windows Store, Apps, Cortana, telemetry, biometrics, etc. I exorcised all of those demonic components at the WIM level prior to installation and won't be letting them back in.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Well, that really sucks Redmond Monkey balls. If they don't do that, then I guess I won't be playing GoW4.

I don't let that filth on my systems. I've got no Windows Store, Apps, Cortana, telemetry, biometrics, etc. I exorcised all of those demonic components at the WIM level prior to installation and won't be letting them back in.

Yup, and it also means I won't be playing Halo, as much as it pains me right now to watch Forge from the outside in. Great that MS' first-party franchises are finally throwing away the shackles of Xbox exclusivity and coming to PC. Not so great that they're locked behind the walled garden and being dangled as carrots in front of W10 holdout PC gamers. I'm staying on W7 until 2020 or until W10 becomes a usable OS for me, whichever comes first. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2020 I'd say.

I know my question is not necessarily related to this topic but maybe some users with P870DM and Prema BIOS installed can help.

Are you guys using your notebook with NVMe RAID and ATA password enabled on such a configuration?

Thx

A really good friend just gave me an Amazon gift card, so I figured that I should start getting things in order for 1080 SLI. The way the die is made seems a bit more risky for Liquid Ultra, as everything is exposed and there is no support rim around the edge. (I am really puzzled what the rationale was for removing that support rim. It makes 1080 look like the cheap low- and mid-range GPUs without it.) So, I will start with Kryonaut to see if that is good enough. If necessary I will use an RTV silicon dam around the edge of the die if I need to break out the big guns with Liquid Ultra to keep it in line.

1.JPG2.JPG

Good boy scout there brother @Mr. Fox

optAqVi.jpg

I got me some more Liquid Metal for the deliding ceremony. Running short of that isn't fun. 

So GPU is not a good candidate for CLU hey...

I have hopefully successfully updated my order to the DM3 Single 1080 with Hidevolution. I'm interested to see how the cooling fares on my "gamer-boy ( :rofl:)" single.

Can't wait. I've been stuck using this ... jealous ?!

d7RO2xN.jpg

Edited by TBoneSan
  • Thumbs Up 3

52 minutes ago, TBoneSan said:

Good boy scout there brother @Mr. Fox

optAqVi.jpg

I got me some more Liquid Metal for the deliding ceremony. Running short of that isn't fun. 

So GPU is not a good candidate for CLU hey...

I have hopefully successfully updated my order to the DM3 Single 1080 with Hidevolution. I'm interested to see how the cooling fares on my "gamer-boy ( :rofl:)" single.

Can't wait. I've been stuck using this ... jealous ?!

d7RO2xN.jpg

LOL, no... not jealous of that.

Yeah, that's definitely the way to do it. I try to always have more CLU available than what I need. I think I have 3 tubes of that, a Liquid Pro, 2 tubes of Phobya Liquid Metal, a Gelid and 2 or 3 ICD 24 tubes, and a partially used tube of Kryonaut, LOL. I'm a TIM hoarder. I've also have plenty of sheets of of less expensive thermal pads, but I figured why not go for the 11.0 W/mK good stuff. It looks like Pascal needs all the help it can get for thermals.

I've never actually needed to use CLU on GPUs before and it's more expensive. I'll use it if I need to. I am a bit skiddish on the 1080s simply because of the way they are made, but proper precautions will avert the possibility of any mishaps.

2 hours ago, Georgel said:

For a P775, I'm trying to find more photos of it, but having a hard time doing this. Especially close up photos of internals. 

As @iunlock; he's taken a decent few photos and doesn't seem to be the type that would feel like it's a bother to do so.

• Thumbs Up 3

For a P775, I'm trying to find more photos of it, but having a hard time doing this. Especially close up photos of internals. 

As @iunlock; he's taken a decent few photos and doesn't seem to be the type that would feel like it's a bother to do so.

I have a ton of photos from the repaste photoshoot. Is there anything in particular you're looking for or am wanting to see?

I'm working on a full review at the moment where I was going to post the pics.

::iunlock::

• Thumbs Up 5

A really good friend just gave me an Amazon gift card, so I figured that I should start getting things in order for 1080 SLI. The way the die is made seems a bit more risky for Liquid Ultra, as everything is exposed and there is no support rim around the edge. (I am really puzzled what the rationale was for removing that support rim. It makes 1080 look like the cheap low- and mid-range GPUs without it.) So, I will start with Kryonaut to see if that is good enough. If necessary I will use an RTV silicon dam around the edge of the die if I need to break out the big guns with Liquid Ultra to keep it in line.

1.JPG2.JPG

If you need a different thickness or size pad for fujipoly, contact performance-pcs.com. They'll order a different thermal pad made by fujipoly, including the 2, 3, 4, and even 5mm pads (5mm at 6w/mK, which is good for that thickness). Florida based company that I check out since frozencpu got in a funk...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Prema said:

Oh boy, my thermal pad purchase has turned out to be more time consuming than I hoped for...

All those high  Xw/mK versions appear to be very hard (naturally) and may reduce the heat-sink pressure on the DIE!?

Sarcon.pdf

Yes this seems to be true of aftermarket thermal pads from Fujipoly and Phobya in general, based on what I've used and read. Compared to the somewhat squishy and stretchy nature of stock thermal pads, the 6 W/mK and 11 W/mK Fujipoly I've had were hard and incompressible, with a brittle and powdery consistency when cut. I'd imagine the 17 W/mK ones aren't much different. With these, definitely a good rule of thumb to use as thin a layer as you can get away with. Apparently the XR-m is available in as thin as 0.3 mm, but I've only seen 0.5 mm for sale.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh boy, my thermal pad purchase has turned out to be more time consuming than I hoped for...

All those high  Xw/mK versions appear to be very hard (naturally) and may reduce the heat-sink pressure on the DIE!?

Sarcon.pdf

something you can do is use modeling clay or something similar to find the precise, minimum thickness of the pads needed (between some form of plastic to prevent it from getting on components). That is one solution. They also have a type of puddy tim that can be used...

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, ajc9988 said:

something you can do is use modeling clay or something similar to find the precise, minimum thickness of the pads needed (between some form of plastic to prevent it from getting on components). That is one solution. They also have a type of puddy tim that can be used...

What I've done before is sandwich the molding clay using saran wrap, but just use enough clay to cover the chip / die. It works wonders.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Prema said:

Sarcon.pdf

When will we get to see pictures of your monster? ;)

Edited by bloodhawk
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, bloodhawk said:
When will we get to see pictures of your monster? [emoji6]

Well, I would first need to have it...and then to purchase a new camera.
My HTC ONE takes only purple pictures due to a manufacturing defect. :(

15 hours ago, octiceps said:

Yes this seems to be true of aftermarket thermal pads from Fujipoly and Phobya in general, based on what I've used and read. Compared to the somewhat squishy and stretchy nature of stock thermal pads, the 6 W/mK and 11 W/mK Fujipoly I've had were hard and incompressible, with a brittle and powdery consistency when cut. I'd imagine the 17 W/mK ones aren't much different. With these, definitely a good rule of thumb to use as thin a layer as you can get away with. Apparently the XR-m is available in as thin as 0.3 mm, but I've only seen 0.5 mm for sale.

Having used various types of Fujiploy pads, mostly the 17.0w/mk in particular, I can confirm that the higher you go in the thermal ratings the more dense the pads are. The FP 17.0w/mk pads are dense, but still flexible and soft. However, there is not much give on them so one would have to make sure to size up the pads the best they can, otherwise if the application is too thick the harder density of the pads risk lifting of the HS...although I think it'll be okay and the VRM's would compress enough to where it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll have full specs of the sizes for the P775DM3 here shortly. Actually I have them already, but am working on my review and it'll be included in there.

Edited by iunlock
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Brian unpinned this topic