NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

Well, no dice with SLI. Might be a hopeless endeavor... time will tell. I have one 980M working pretty well. Having to settle for using a machine with only one GPU is a massive disappointment, but it will have to do for now until I can afford to buy a machine these will work in that overclocks the CPU as well or better than my M18xR2.

Question: Are any of you P377SM-A owners able to run at least 4.5GHz stable with manageable temps with a 4930MX, or is that also a hopeless endeavor? I prefer the P570WM3, but open to other option if there are any that are good enough. Please let me know. I'm not sure how long I can tolerate a single GPU, especially considering that I expected better performance than 780M SLI when I dropped $1500 on these bad boys.

For you guys that actually like one GPU, be advised these benchmarks drew between 315W and 340W with just one card.

Vantage: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

S0HMoMYh.jpg

3DMark11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

qnrkFlHh.jpg

Fire Strike: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

pvwjXEhh.jpg

For reference, stock GPU clocks (but still 4.5GHz on CPU)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13537[/ATTACH]

i wish i could do a GPU swap my 780M for one of your 980Ms but i don't have the money for that either :P

• Thumbs Up 1

If I were content to live with one GPU, we might work a deal, but I have no long-term plans of settling for one GPU. This will only last as long as it takes to acquire a remedy or a machine competent enough to receive them. I am extremely impressed with the performance of one, but simultaneous even more disappointed that it's not working correctly specifically because of the performance potential for two of them in SLI.

At this point, I am not even certain my system could handle two of them in SLI the way I would expect to use it. Anyone that thinks they are going to do amazing overclocking of one 980M with anything less than a 330W AC adapter, or a dual 330W adapter for 980M SLI is kidding their self. In tandem with a heavily overclocked Extreme CPU, 980M SLI with a big overclock can exhaust a dual 330W adapter setup. I have already exceeded the capacity of my dual adapter and had the system trip the internal breaker switch and shut itself off twice in spite of severe SLI throttling

If I were content to live with one GPU, we might work a deal, but I have no long-term plans of settling for one GPU. This will only last as long as it takes to acquire a remedy or a machine competent enough to receive them. I am extremely impressed with the performance of one, but simultaneous even more disappointed that it's not working correctly specifically because of the performance potential for two of them in SLI.

I totally understand, I wasn't being serious - just wishful thinking mixed with a bit of jealousness :D

• Founder

At this point, I am not even certain my system could handle two of them in SLI the way I would expect to use it. Anyone that thinks they are going to do amazing overclocking of one 980M with anything less than a 330W AC adapter, or a dual 330W adapter for 980M SLI is kidding their self. In tandem with a heavily overclocked Extreme CPU, 980M SLI with a big overclock can exhaust a dual 330W adapter setup. I have already exceeded the capacity of my dual adapter and had the system trip the internal breaker switch and shut itself off twice in spite of severe SLI throttling

Well those cores are desktop ones at a lower clock so it's not surprising. Have you considered building an itx desktop? The foot print wouldn't be much different. You'd just have to pack the monitor on your trips. But a 19 inch monitor these days is very slim and light.

OK so Here's a screenshot - this is running the new vbios with voltage and power target increased. I'm getting a lower score than before in 3DMark FireStrike - with stock I managed well over 9000. If I try to increase the core or memory 3D Mark just crashes... what am I doing wrong???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13535[/ATTACH]

No. I'm using the 230W PSU that came with the laptop - MSI GT72 Dominator Pro.

Can you overclock with the stock vbios?

I would like to flash the overclock bios as wel but it gives me a problem. First i have to boot in pure dos mode because i have a m15x but when i want to back up the vbios than it say's adapter not reconised. Latest nvflash and bios version 09. I know i am a noob but i always worked with AMD never nVidia

You don't flash from DOS, you flash from Windows. Seems I have to provide clearer instructions. People don't seem to be used to running command line programs.

i am wondering i dont have optimus or a second GPU so how Can i close the GTX in device manager? this means i dont have a card working right?

No, it just means that the installed driver will be disabled and a generic driver gets loaded instead.

Prema and/or SVL7, do you think a copy of the 4gb 980m vbios from Dell would go a long way to helping AW users with this throttling problems (educated guess) ?

I've heard the vbios might come as part of an overall system bios, which then needs to be isolated.

What are your thoughts?

The new 980m vbios will lack the MXM interface, therefore won't be able to configure itself according to the specs of the system in which the card gets used, which makes it unlikely to work properly. Not impossible, just less likely. The memory part is another story. See below.

Forgive ignorance on such a question, is any kind of modding of the 4gb VBIOS to make it play ball with the 8gb cards doable ?

Changing 4 to 8 GB is sometimes possible, but depending on the memory configurations stored in the vbios not necessarily easy or even realistic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol i must be the dumpest man in de world..............mnvflash aint working with me.

first i disable the gtx 970m in device manager

than i exe mnvflash .........but than it wont work the only thing i can do is press "enter" or "Q" but than it closes the window?????

what can i do to flash it the right way???

GTX 970m in a m15x.

hi svl7..I just bought a new MSI GT72 Dominator Pro 2QE model which has a GTX 980M 8GB version..and came with I7 4720HQ instead of 4710HQ CPU..so can I use that modified vbios directly on my laptop or do I need to send you my vbios for modding, thanks ?note: im getting 9387 fire strike v1.1 overall points and 10987 graphical points from 3dmark14 with stock overclock +135mhz gpu and +500mhz mem NVidia drv.344.24do you think how much difference will be there after modded vbios flashing ?

Lol i must be the dumpest man in de world..............mnvflash aint working with me.

first i disable the gtx 970m in device manager

than i exe mnvflash .........but than it wont work the only thing i can do is press "enter" or "Q" but than it closes the window?????

what can i do to flash it the right way???

GTX 970m in a m15x.

Are you running mnvflash through a command line that has administrator privileges? (In Windows 7 you go to the search bar and type "cmd" (without the "), then right click on the program icon that comes up & choose "Run As Administrator". Then you run mnvflash from that DOS-like command line. This is my understanding on how it needs to be done. For Windows 8 it's probably a similar process to get to "cmd" - maybe!).

• Thumbs Up 1

for alienware owners, has anyone tried disconnecting the battery and only running on mains to see if that stops the GPU from throttling in dedicated mode?

i might just be grasping at straws here.

it might not do anything other than give an annoying message but i would like to see what happens.

hi guys do you know what is the safest volt oc 24/7 gaming for the gtx970m?

btw I have p377sm-a

thanks

I don't think there's really an answer for that, but my thinking would be that I wouldn't use more than +100mv and I'd make sure temperatures were under 80 degC. My logic on this is just that +100mv is not far off stock & that temperatures in the 60's & 70's are great. If you're overvolting with temperatures in the 90's (80's) then I don't think that's a good thing - increasing temperature increases the silicon degredation effects of overvolting which can reduce the overall life of your GPU.

when i raise priorised temperature and raise the power and termperature limit, will the card still throttle if i hit 105°C?

Haha, I would hope so! No, but the max you can set seems to be 100 degC based on the pic on the first page (so would throttle at 100) - either way you don't want to run your GPU that hot!

i know i was just thinking about temp target and temp limit.

but i think 95° should be alright as one will only reach such temperatures in a very short timespan.

but with the liquid metal tim those temperatures are fortunatelly hard do reach ;)

im not running furmark and such anymore as they only torture the gpu uselessly, even prime 95im using very seldomly.

ive read reports of the x99family like 5820 and 5960x that some cpu have been destroyed due to heavy oc and prime

im testing my components throught havy gaming sessions and tbh bf4 crashes quite fast with unstable oc.

even cpu oc i primed 2h crashed in bf4 withing 10min same for the gpu

imho the power supply of a laptop is not made for torture test, especially in the clevo which was never ment to be cpu oced to 80plus tdp

Finally got it flashed.....thanks Robbo youre help was great.

First run overclocked i think that its my limit as well everything more gives me crashes......so +230 is the max for me.

But still impressive for a 6 year old lappie......smile.

post-31574-14494999067374_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1