Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I am gaming with my cpu at 60-75C now and GPUs in the 60ies.

I really hate the summer.

Hah, my old laptop (C2D and 8600m) I was gaming on 100cpu and GPU in high 90s, so I'd say those temps are quite awesome. :P

Right now I do not own a laptop cooler and I was wondering what would be something good that you would recommend. I am currently looking at buying this one Cooler Master Notepal X3 Gaming Laptop / Notebook Cooling Pad Up to 17" (200mm Adj. Fan Speed) - Newegg.com.

I would like to know if there is something better out there that may cool better. I do not mind the price as long as its under $80 which it should be.

Hi guys, I just upgraded bios to 2.04 and vbios for 650m SLI. How do I use Inspector. Which preformance level should I use, there is 3 to choose? Which settings do u have for everyday use without cooling pad for the laptop?

• Download the modified vbios and put it on your USB drive as well. Rename the file so that the name has no more than eight characters (not counting the extension). It's a DOS limitation.

Dear svl7, unfortunately the link is dead :( Could you please upload it again?

Your BIOS patch is perfect!

Right now I do not own a laptop cooler and I was wondering what would be something good that you would recommend. I am currently looking at buying this one Cooler Master Notepal X3 Gaming Laptop / Notebook Cooling Pad Up to 17" (200mm Adj. Fan Speed) - Newegg.com.

I would like to know if there is something better out there that may cool better. I do not mind the price as long as its under $80 which it should be.

Any of these would be more powerful and cheaper. Just be careful not to kill yourself with the aluminum ones because they have razor sharp corners.

Logisys Computer Dual 140mm Fan Aluminum Laptop Cooling Pad Model NP8 - Newegg.com

Logisys Computer Ultra Black Aluminum Laptop Cooler Model NP8BK - Newegg.com

Logisys Computer Bamboo Laptop Cooling Pad Model NP2600 - Newegg.com

Logisys Computer Wind Pal Black Laptop Cooler Pad Model NP88BK - Newegg.com

I got the last one and it's pretty good. Moves a lot more air than my old Cooler Master pad, although the plastic is a little bit flimsy. But it's lightweight and I can actually carry it around in my laptop backpack without weighing myself down or being afraid of impaling myself LOL.

Dear svl7, unfortunately the link is dead :( Could you please upload it again?

Your BIOS patch is perfect!

The modded vBIOS files for the Ultrabay 650M and 750M are in the attachments.

I am currently on modded v1.05 BIOS with non-stock WiFi card. From what I read here I have to upgrade to v2.02 stock BIOS first then apply the mod. I assume I will not be able to boot up after upgrading to v2.02 stock as I have non-stock WiFi card installed, please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

I am currently on modded v1.05 BIOS with non-stock WiFi card. From what I read here I have to upgrade to v2.02 stock BIOS first then apply the mod. I assume I will not be able to boot up after upgrading to v2.02 stock as I have non-stock WiFi card installed, please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

After updating to 2.02 stock, you can simply go into BIOS and disable the WLAN card. That will allow you to boot up and flash to 2.04 modded. Then you can go back and re-enable WLAN.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see anything mentioned about LOSING features with this mod. Does anything not work afterwards? I would just really like to upgrade to a newer Wi-Fi card.

Also, if I have zero interest in OC'ing my 650 SLI, can I ignore the flash for the Ultrabay card?

Thanks!

Since updating to 2.04 modded, has anybody else noticed that the screen now has an auto-brightness mechanism that will dynamically adjust the amount of backlight depending on the displayed content? So it will brighten if light content is displayed and dim when dark content is displayed. I have tested this thoroughly and swear it wasn't there before when I was on 2.02 modded. I'm extremely sensitive to these kinds of visual stimuli and noticed it right away. There seems to be no way to turn it off either since the adaptive brightness setting in Windows power options doesn't do anything on this laptop (the laptop doesn't physically have an ambient light sensor). I'm not too annoyed by this new feature but just thought it was interesting to note. It sure would be nice to be able to turn it off though.

EDIT: Scratch that. I just rebooted and now the auto-brightness bug is gone. Weird. I did have a BSOD earlier today so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway, ignore what I wrote above, nothing to see here.

Can't thank you enough SVL7. Being limited to 2.4Ghz WiFi as a serious downside to a laptop that otherwise blows me away. BIOS flash worked great, just ordered a new card. I threw a little money at your new laptop, thanks again!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi There, Is it possible to use this Mod Bios Flash to work on the Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P ? Want to put in a different WLAN but want to make sure before flashing that this Mod Bios will work ... Thanks DR

No it will not work. It is for Y500/Y400 only.

I say be patient and it should come. svl7 is too busy at the moment. He's the only one supporting this laptop and many others with all these incredible BIOS mods so give him some time.

Anyone know how I can get these files? I will gladly donate, I just cant seem to find this anywhere and when I try the links it says i dont have premissions. Anyone can help me greatly apperciated, thanks : )

You need 5 (4 more to go) approved quality posts to become full member with download/PM/... privileges. Or you can become T|I Elite member with even more privileges.

You might want to read the forum rules for more information.

Thanks Re-Reading the forums rules instead of skimming them this time. Just bought a lenovo y500 / 750m and want to unlock this bios mainly cause of the whitelist on the cards. Laptop has such potential but the stock wifi really holds it back....Does anyone know who is the actual creator of the modded bios? Definitely want to throw him some brew/bojanglin cash for the mod. I've seen the original thread by sv17, but others are taking claim for it on lenovos forums and 1 other guy on a Russian forum...

Apparently there is a bunch of speculation behind this laptop and locked features....LENOVO Y 400\ 500 UNLOCKED BIOS -FULL WIDI ,RAID,S... - Page 3 - Lenovo Community

My y500 seems to be different from most peoples that post specs.

I bought mine online on memorial day 2013 which came with v2.04 bios and with WiMaX but it say drivers are missing another big difference is my y500 has the nvidia 750m....

Bios is still locked up though....

Thanks Re-Reading the forums rules instead of skimming them this time. Just bought a lenovo y500 / 750m and want to unlock this bios mainly cause of the whitelist on the cards. Laptop has such potential but the stock wifi really holds it back....Does anyone know who is the actual creator of the modded bios? Definitely want to throw him some brew/bojanglin cash for the mod. I've seen the original thread by sv17, but others are taking claim for it on lenovos forums and 1 other guy on a Russian forum...

Apparently there is a bunch of speculation behind this laptop and locked features....LENOVO Y 400\ 500 UNLOCKED BIOS -FULL WIDI ,RAID,S... - Page 3 - Lenovo Community

My y500 seems to be different from most peoples that post specs.

I bought mine online on memorial day 2013 which came with v2.04 bios and with WiMaX but it say drivers are missing another big difference is my y500 has the nvidia 750m....

Bios is still locked up though....

@svl7 is the creator of the mod. He's got a donate link in big letters on the main page of the forum. If someone else is stealing his work and claiming it as their own, that is a very serious thing and you should message svl7 (he is a mod here) or one of the other mods so they can investigate and take action.

Your Y500 is the refreshed 750M model and is a common configuration that a lot of other people also have. You'll have no problems upgrading to the modded 2.04 BIOS.

I agree with a lot of the other posts on here, This laptop is quite powerful, but has a number of lenovo influenced limitations like the wifi. I hope this mod will solve my problem using a new Centrino 6300.

Another quick question - I read in the earlier part of this forum about somethings not working. I am only looking to use the mod for removal of the wlan whitelist. Has anyone had a bad experience or loss of functionality from this mod that would make using it not a good idea? I use this laptop routinely for work, and would hate to find out that my video cards work poorly now, or something like that.

No it will not work. It is for Y500/Y400 only.

I say be patient and it should come. svl7 is too busy at the moment. He's the only one supporting this laptop and many others with all these incredible BIOS mods so give him some time.

Thank you for that information, Is there any idea when one will be available for this notebook, I really like it but the wifi limitation really sucks on this from Lenovo.

I agree with a lot of the other posts on here, This laptop is quite powerful, but has a number of lenovo influenced limitations like the wifi. I hope this mod will solve my problem using a new Centrino 6300.

Another quick question - I read in the earlier part of this forum about somethings not working. I am only looking to use the mod for removal of the wlan whitelist. Has anyone had a bad experience or loss of functionality from this mod that would make using it not a good idea? I use this laptop routinely for work, and would hate to find out that my video cards work poorly now, or something like that.

Don't worry, the mod is better in every way. :)

Thank you for that information, Is there any idea when one will be available for this notebook, I really like it but the wifi limitation really sucks on this from Lenovo.

No idea. Only svl7 can tell you that. Maybe he'll drop in here with more info soon.

i issue some problem... after flashing ultrabay video card with modded rom windows give me a drive problem on second video card and don't enable SLI (seem driver don't recognize the video card). i'm using win 8.1, some one have any kind of idea on how to solve this problem? i already tryed reflashing ultrabay card, reinstall driver, but nothing to do!post-13796-14494995894571_thumb.png