Y510p Wifi upgrade

computergeek903

I would recommend this:

Amazon.com: AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB 802.11/ac/867Mbps WLAN + BT4.0 Half Mini PCI-E: Computers & Accessories

As this is compatible with osx as well, in future if you want to install it.

Another ASIN for the same card with possibly different prices: Amazon.com: AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352 802.11/ac/867Mbps WLAN + BT4.0 Half Mini PCI-E Card: Computers & Accessories

If you don't want to use modded BIOS try to find the card with Lenovo FRU 03T7135. Some people say it works and is in the whitelist (I have not personally tried it).

• 2 months later...

I've been using the Intel AC 7260 for a few days now, had no problems at all. Connects quickly, finds all the networks, didn't have to install any drivers. Speed increased drastically, checked with an online speedtest, with the N2260 I couldn't get over 50Mbits p/s. Now with the AC7260 I get the full 200Mbits p/s I pay my ISP for lol.

Only problem I encountered was before installing. Lenovo has a BIOS whitelist that needs to be altered or deleted if you want to install the AC7260. I used @svl7's guide to flash to an unlocked BIOS. I will link it for you down below.

• 3 months later...

I had bought my AC 7260 wifi card at Micro Center for $42 and was going to return it, but decided to keep it to see if I can eventually unlock my bios. I could also use it on my XPS1730 which is still fully functional after almost 10 years!!! and with some basic modding since the XPS1730 uses a full size wifi pci-e card.

I was just researching wifi cards for my y510p and came across this thread and also the bios mod thread. I saw the 7260 on b&h for 22.16. After having discovered these threads. I believe putting the 7260 in the y510p is a good idea as long as you know what your doing that is.

Edited by [LEVO]FuzzyThor

Until I can get the AC7260 I am working on my Y500I been using a tp-Link AC450 usb wifi adapter, I just don't like having the dongle on the side of the laptop, even though it is a very small adapter but it works really well and is only $19.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 8:26 PM, Rick Sanchez said:

what does this mean?

can one see the withelist somewhere and do you know what i have to look out for? im really freakin out about my slow wifi :S

The code is specific to Lenovo devices FRU 03T7135 is a BroadCom card that is within Lenovo's whitelist. So therefore you will not need to mod your bios in order to replace the card to AC on your laptopProblem is that not all sellers online are honorable and will charge you the premium price of a Lenovo approved card for a standard non Lenovo one that is typically cheaper. Caveat Emptor. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I purchased a 7260 card from Amazon for my y510p, it arrived today and I got the dreaded "This is not an approved device, please remove it and pay us more money for our approved card" message.  

Now I'm not sure what I want to do.  I searched for the Broadcom card, but couldn't find any US sources.

I'm thinking I might have to do the unlocked bios, but flashing a modded bios is a bit scary as well.  If the flashing goes bad, does anyone know if there a recovery process or will I have a brick?  I'm rather annoyed that Lenovo decided to limit the hardware that can be used. I guess for my next laptop I might have to go with Dell instead.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/16/2016 at 10:10 PM, Brixius said:

I purchased a 7260 card from Amazon for my y510p, it arrived today and I got the dreaded "This is not an approved device, please remove it and pay us more money for our approved card" message.  

Now I'm not sure what I want to do.  I searched for the Broadcom card, but couldn't find any US sources.

I'm thinking I might have to do the unlocked bios, but flashing a modded bios is a bit scary as well.  If the flashing goes bad, does anyone know if there a recovery process or will I have a brick?  I'm rather annoyed that Lenovo decided to limit the hardware that can be used. I guess for my next laptop I might have to go with Dell instead.

I bought my Broadcom card with Lenovo FRU on ebay from china it took a while to arrive but worked fine, I'm waiting to be promoted so I can try out the modded BIOS, in the meantime I can offer any help I can

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2016 at 7:39 AM, Razayan said:

I've been using the Intel AC 7260 for a few days now, had no problems at all. Connects quickly, finds all the networks, didn't have to install any drivers. Speed increased drastically, checked with an online speedtest, with the N2260 I couldn't get over 50Mbits p/s. Now with the AC7260 I get the full 200Mbits p/s I pay my ISP for lol.

Only problem I encountered was before installing. Lenovo has a BIOS whitelist that needs to be altered or deleted if you want to install the AC7260. I used @svl7's guide to flash to an unlocked BIOS. I will link it for you down below.

Thanks for the info.  I already bought the AC 2760 card.  Now, I just have to flash the BIOS 74CN44WW (V3.05).  I hope to not brick my Laptop.

• 1 year later...