Hey all, just wondering if anyone has picked up Dead Island yet. Super pumped for it and will be picking it up on friday. But just wanted to see how it runs on the M14x. If not ill come post back this weekend on how it goes. Also if anyone has it for xbox or ps3 let me know what you think of it. Its been getting a little bit of mixed reviews so far but mostly positive. Oh and here are the recommended specs in case anyone is curious

• Recommended
    • Processor: Core2Duo 2.66 GHz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce 9600 (1GB)
    • DirectX®: DirectX 9.0C
    • Hard Drive: 7 GB available hard drive space

• Thumbs Up 1

You should be okay. From what I understand the 555m is equivalent to a 8800gt so you should be able to run it med to high settings at 720p.

Our moderator @Stevenxowens792 got and I am quoting what he said:

Not much time as I just got home, completed 2 mission on dead island and on 752/900 get from 60-90fps on the highest details in the game menu

Dude.. Dead Island rocks so far. I need to slow down enough to create vids and screenshots. Its beautiful (although no crysis).

So stand by

Running it at the highest details available in game. 60-90fps at 750/900 clocks. It's beautiful. Good Luck, Stevenx

May i ask what resolution you are running at Steven?

1366x768 native rez. I took some fraps video and frankly I don't like how it came out. The video makes the game look slow when in fact its beyond smooth. So I may just post some screenshots or something. Rest assured, even with 2 month old display drivers, it runs fine. Best wishes, StevenX

http://forum.techinferno.com/pc-gaming/1121-dead-island-review.html

Edited by Stevenxowens792

Hey all, yes this game is everything I dreamed of and more. Love it. Best description I have heard is fallout 3 with zombies and I would kinda agree. Not as polished or as in depth as Fallout but really fun to play. Anyway there is some nice tweaks out there if you need them. I had a lot of screen tearing and a little stuttering at first but I disabled saso and turned on V-sync and good to go. Also there is a tweak to the controls, stevenx I read your review and saw that you weren't to happy with controls. I used the tweak and found that it tightened them up a bit but hey it could just be me so try it out and let me know what you think. Also the field of view tweak is really nice, highly recommend it.

calling all modders let's mod dead island incl fix fov/blur/bloom/mouse/fps/+ more - Steam Users' Forums

Anyway back to slaying some zombies, cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1

May I ask what video driver version your using? On my m14x its dissapointing. I have to bring down the res to 1024x768 and had to download a 3rd party app to tweak the video settings. Now im getting maybe 20-30fps outdoors and 55+ indoors.

Nvidia Driver 285.38

GeForce GT555M 3GB @ 750/900MHz

Intel i7 2630QM @103.01MHz BLCK

6GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz

Seagate Momentus XT 500GB

BIOS A05 (DELL Original)

Getting about 50 FPS @ 1600*900

Everything set to maximum (ShadowMap Size 1024, I think even more possible via Editor)

Greetz

I ran a defrag and reinstalled the game which seemed to do the trick. Am now getting 40-60FPS everywhere.

I´m running with 285.36 and game looks really good... 50 - 70 FPS(845/1690/1020)... Guys don´t forget to run with NV GPU... standard was INTEL GPU and i wondered why my frames were low...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By IronPancakes
      Hey guys, first post, but I thought I’d discuss my heatsink fan retrofit in my old M14x r1. 

Old fan was loud and not very efficient: the air transfer rate was around 2 cfm (I’m assuming cubic feet per minute). Finally had enough and decided to swap out the crappy r1 fan/coughing pinwheel for a r2 fan (rated at 10.4cfm). 

I found an old r2 heat sink on eBay (beware though that the heat sink for the r2 will NOT fit the gpu/cpu configuration for the r1. HOWEVER, the fan of the r2 heat sink it is attached to is a carbon copy fit into the r1 MoBo. A few philips head screws and a seal of good electric tape and BAM, you’ve got a significantly cooler and MUCH quieter intake fan in your old R1. 

My CPU temps from before were around 87-88 max load in FSX, 65 for the GPU; bear in mind this is after a repaste. Now with the new fan, I’m not going over 77 degrees on the CPU, and the gpu stays around 58, all while being MUCH quiter. I’ll post pics of the walkthrough if anyone is interested.

Just thought I’d share with all you fellow loonies trying to squeeze every last frame and degree out of our “portable toaster ovens with a screen and keyboard”. 

• By daviddoeschl
      Hi all,
      I am new here, so I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section. Also, I realise this question has been asked before, but all of the other threads are really old.
      So, my issue. I flashed the unlocked A08 bios with sata fix and everything worked brilliantly. Then, in my infinite wisdom I turned on UEFI mode in BIOS to see what would happen. What happened is it rebooted with 8 beeps (no screen) everytime I turned on. I looked at the other forums and did the whole usb recovery thing, however, I believed it was taking to long so I turned the computer off after the computer rebooted and beeped 7 times (cpu error). I tried taking out the CMOS to no avail. Now when I try the recovery USB the usb never seems to be loaded (light never comes on). Any ideas?
      Thanks for all the help, and sorry for any mistakes I have no doubt made.
    • By Brian
      So Alienware should be gearing up to introduce us to their new redesigned lineup this June. A Chinese website has some leaked images, video and specs of these new models, here they are:
      Changes

No express card and possibly no eSata.
      Keyboard has been changed and should be similar to the island style one found in Clevo notebooks and others. This should also affect how AlienFx looks and functions compared to previous models.
      New lid design with light strips.
      New base is more blockier in design, old speaker grills are gone and now the front is flat with some speaker lines.
      Touchpad lights up completely.
      Cooling? Remains to be seen, will update as we get more info.
      Option of IPS FHD display in all 3 models.
      Aluminum build for all 3 models though some parts will undoubtedly be plastic - we'll see and update.

Videos:
      <embed src="http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XNTY0ODIxNzky/v.swf" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" width="480" height="400" align="middle" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

Pictures:​
      <ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
      </ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op><ignore_js_op style="word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica, SimSun, sans-serif; line-height: 21px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></ignore_js_op>
    • By kzius
      Hi guys, i have a Alienware M14X R2, my problem is after i repaste my alienware when the fan goes +3000 rpm i can feel it on my keyboard on the left side, its a soft vibration if i put mi hand above the fan ( on the keyboard ) and thats annoying, i don't know what going on, because i dissasembly again and i check everything and looks normal and it still happening, what can i do to check if it every is fine ? Thanks!
    • By phelophus
      Hello
      I have a m14xr1 555m which has been repaired by dell 4 months ago. Despite a terrible service from the technician and two MOBO replacements, everything was working fine until few weeks ago when I was playing diablo3. FPS dropped to 5 and the game since then has been unplayable.
      I noticed my GPU temp was too HI reaching 99c causing GPU throttling. I have been reading a lot about same issues from several people with the same machine claiming different causes: (Nvidia drivers, GPU physics load, Virtual Sync config, Blizzard patches, processor cores load, Dust in fan, etc). I have tested all suggested solutions and even re-pasted with IC diamond 24.
      After all this it seems that the FPS drops and thermal increase vary from machine to machine for Daiblo3, so I decided to test with any other game and discovered the thermal increasing was happening again.
      Before calling Dell again I would like to know if somebody knows what is the cause for those thermal increases in such way as idle remains between 50 to 60c. I acknowledge the GPU rise in temp with heavy load (even max settings) but shouldn't go beyond 80's
      Many thanks for your time

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.