Y510p - Intel 7260HMW AC or Qualcomm Killer Wireless-N 1202 ?

mihneabs

I'd like to mod the bios of my y510p (1.07 bios) in order to upgrade the Intel 2230 wifi it came with.

I was wondering what wifi card is better in the terms of sensibility and throughput: Intel 7260HMW AC or Qualcomm Killer Wireless-N 1202 ?

Does anyone that modded the 1.07 bios of y510p and installed one of these cards, had some issues in windows 8.1?

Both cards are really good cards and will do you justice in games.

But in my personal opinion i would opt for the AC card since it does hold newer tech. With it you should get better signal from AC router due to the beam focusing. Once again it would be a preference since what would now bottle neck your internet speed would be your network instead of that horrible 2230 wifi.

• 4 weeks later...
Stumbled upon this post, when I mod my BIOS I'll make sure to buy the intel. Playing BF4 or anything is almost impossible now because of it's unreliability. I CAN play but it's like playing Russian Roulette at this point.

Battlefield 4 is horribly laggy no matter what wireless card or even LAN connection you use, combined with the horrible 10hz tick rate makes the game almost unplayable for most people.

AC all the way, I have one of these in my VAIO Pro and I'm getting 40 MB (yes, megabyte, not megabit) a second transfer speeds to my Synology NAS over the Netgear R7000 router. Pretty sweet so I cant wait to mod the BIOS on my new Y510p to pop in a 7260 AC as well!

• 4 weeks later...
I've been asking many people and many that has y410p/y510p recommends the 7260 AC if they are able to mod their bios :)

I've seen that as well but I'm really wondering if that would be the absolute best card to purchase when there are so many out there. I have always hated Intel wifi cards due to the crap drivers that they seem to release frequently. Have you upgraded yet?

I like the intel 7620 card for 5ghz use at home. Fast and pretty stable. Not sure I'd call it the absolute best without more reviews on the few competing 5g/AC products. If you're using it to move around a lot and need to connect to 2.4ghz networks frequently (e.g. airports, hotels, coffee shops), then you might want to consider another option, even a usb adapter. There are plenty of reviews and discussions online on people having difficulty in that band with the 7260.

Despite this, I went with the 7260 mainly because the vast majority of my use is within my home network (netgear R7000), and I was willing to stomach potentially unstable connections elsewhere.

i dont like intels wifi too, too mutch problems with them, i have bought killer 1202 for my lenovo, on ebay for +- 35eur, it came fast, and i must mod bios to get it work, in friend acer work like charm.

We tested and compared to the some wifi my friend changed to his acer from destroyed toshiba quosmio he tried many wifi cards..., killer was better. Mutch better,

• 2 weeks later...

I have read a few reviews out and about on the Internet suggesting that the Killer WiFi cards actually make a substantial difference in gaming performance. I'm not sure if the same is true for the LAN but I am looking at upgrading to the Killer WiFi NIC (Granted I also still have a wireless N based router at home since it seems to be plenty sufficient for my needs).

I just bought an Intel AC 7260 for myself for $30 which is a pretty good deal and had a tech install it for me. Though, after the install the tech said that my Y500 doesn't support this wireless card to which I said I knew this but thought he'd flash the BIOS for me. The tech then said that I won't be able to use my AC 7260 with my laptop. So I will be trying to flash the BIOS myself and hopefully I can bypass the Lenovo whitelist issue. But yeah AC 7260 is way better than the N 1202 since it supports AC channels. Hope this helps

Finally flashed my BIOS and installed AC7260 and so far it has worked flawlessly. Just make sure to install the latest drivers for your wlan card to have BT working.

I'd like to mod the bios of my y510p (1.07 bios) in order to upgrade the Intel 2230 wifi it came with.

I was wondering what wifi card is better in the terms of sensibility and throughput: Intel 7260HMW AC or Qualcomm Killer Wireless-N 1202 ?

Does anyone that modded the 1.07 bios of y510p and installed one of these cards, had some issues in windows 8.1?

Unless an extra 10-30 ms is going to make/break your FPS experience, I would go with an Intel card myself. Along the same lines, if 30 ms ping difference is significant enough for you - you should be using ethernet or powerline networking instead. WiFi will always have burs-ty ping.

By preference, I'd always go with Intel, so I'd go with the Intel 7260HMW. They just seem to have way better driver support than all the others, all my Intel cards are still running and my Atheros one (which is part of Qualcomm) breaks everytime Windows installs an update for it. (I know, I can hide it. :P) also, Intel seems to have the most stable connections, at least for me.