EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs

Don't forget to change the RAID settings to AHCI in BIOS before you prepare the new HD. Else it will give you the annoying RAID screen every boot.

I installed two Samsung 840 256GB SSD's in my R2, but the second one (the one in the caddy) is running at SATA 1,5Gb/s speed.

Are there specs on different HDD Caddy's ?

Amazon now has lots of caddies. I just purchased one from "Micro SATA cables". It looked like there were two "generic" types -- one marketed to apple owners and the others. The former seemed to have the screw tabs in the wrong place, so hopefully the one that I got will not require too much modification to fit.

Just wanted to check if the HDD runs hot after some time?

Interested in doing this but not sure if I should just get another SSD with Black Friday just around the corner or to just stick my old HDD into the slot

If anyone would be interested, the same thing can be done in M17x R3. Only instead of 2 drives, you end up with 3 :-P My current configuration is 128GB SSD, 2x 750GB HDD in RAID 0 and external BD-ROM. Just need ICY BOX AC642.

I can confirm this works, I did the same thing a few days ago, I found that no caddy would fit, so I stripped the convention SATA to optical bay SATA conversion board out of the caddy, and simply used a medical cloth tape to secure the drive to the metal optical bay bracket. Maybe more 'ghetto', but quick and easy for sure. The bracket is crewed down and the HDD doesn't move at all. All the tape really does is stop the drive from sliding, its not load bearing.

I bought random noname caddy, it was bit thiker than optical drive. Had to modify a bit but works like a charm.

Same here my caddy was a bit thicker but only slightly and managed to secure it in the case with just a little bit of pushing down ..Running a Sumsung Evo 850 250gb as os drive and the 500gb drive that came with it as storage ...this laptop is BLAZING fast with ssds.cheers.

I am planning on doing this, but somehow i stripped a lot of screws when try to clean my m14x,  like my HDD is literally going to stay there forever mounted to the casing, any of you have ideas to remove stripped screws? I tried the rubber band method and doing some dremmel so i could have enough space for negative screws, but i don't have steady hand and it seems that i will just worsen the condition. And i live in germany, if anybody knows a tool that i could buy here to help..

On 8/18/2014 at 9:58 AM, obc993 said:

Whats would be the speed on the second drive? is msata an option on the R1?

Do not try using msata on Alienware m14xr1 as it might not work based on this website : http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m14x-r1-msata-question.658914/page-2

Thanks titan for the updates on second hdd, will try it out later this week and keep you guys updated if it works.

Edited by velios
Adding quote

Really useful, used it to install a 1TB HDD where my optical bay was and a primary SSD drive where my HDD was - thanks!

Just a reminder to everyone, be very careful to not misplace the small white plastic piece securing the DVD/HD caddy drive cable to the motherboard. Accidentally lost mine during a re-pasting teardown. checked to see what a replacement would cost and found dell refused to replace the proprietary plastic white piece. It is the entire cost of the motherboard to replace. Although i saw a couple people on a different thread suggest paper or business card shoved into the slot with the cable till it was secure and making contact. luckily i found the small plastic piece at the bottom of my trash can covered in nasty goo while searching in desperation. remembered i had swept the floor the day before while my laptop was still apart.

So.. this connects to the motherboard via SATA obviously.. So does this mean if we use this setup that we could then use... MSATA + Original sata hard drive + hard drive in a CADDY =  RAID-5 via the onboard Intel Matrix RAID on the M14x R2 ? Can anyone confirm or deny this is possible?

Edited by Kithylin

Will it be worth the upgrade if an SSD operating over through SATA-II interface in the M14x R2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By IronPancakes
      Hey guys, first post, but I thought I’d discuss my heatsink fan retrofit in my old M14x r1. 

Old fan was loud and not very efficient: the air transfer rate was around 2 cfm (I’m assuming cubic feet per minute). Finally had enough and decided to swap out the crappy r1 fan/coughing pinwheel for a r2 fan (rated at 10.4cfm). 

I found an old r2 heat sink on eBay (beware though that the heat sink for the r2 will NOT fit the gpu/cpu configuration for the r1. HOWEVER, the fan of the r2 heat sink it is attached to is a carbon copy fit into the r1 MoBo. A few philips head screws and a seal of good electric tape and BAM, you’ve got a significantly cooler and MUCH quieter intake fan in your old R1. 

My CPU temps from before were around 87-88 max load in FSX, 65 for the GPU; bear in mind this is after a repaste. Now with the new fan, I’m not going over 77 degrees on the CPU, and the gpu stays around 58, all while being MUCH quiter. I’ll post pics of the walkthrough if anyone is interested.

Just thought I’d share with all you fellow loonies trying to squeeze every last frame and degree out of our “portable toaster ovens with a screen and keyboard”. 

• By pro noob
      Hi i searched alot and could not find any help regarding external gpu for my hp pavilion model 15-e020tx. Even though its not a really old laptop. Would appreciate if some 1 could guide me to a link if it has already been shared. 

I want e gpu for playing a game dota 2.

specifications of laptop

• By angerthosenear
      Please ask for support in the main DSDT Override or DIY eGPU Experiences Thread.
      I have been out of the eGPU realm for too long to provide adequate support.

Here is a guide to performing a DSDT override with hopefully less misery, and setting up your computer to have your iGPU, dGPU, and eGPU working at the same time! Oh boy this is going to be fun.

This is my system specs (Fujitsu T901):
      i7-2620M
      16GB RAM
      NVS 4200M
      GTX 660 Ti
      Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Now it begins..
      Disconnect your eGPU until I say so.
      If you can, you should perform a DSDT override. The method shown in the official thread was really hard at

How to perform a DSDT override:

Now for the fun part........

Disconnect your eGPU Uninstall ALL (ALL MEANS ALL) (dGPU included!!!) Nvidia drivers (keep the Intel graphics driver) Use Driver Sweeper and check all the Nvidia options, run, reboot, turn off computer -- don't install the driver for the dGPU yet Connect eGPU and go to Setup 1.x Set your eGPU port to G2 (assuming your have an adapter that supports G2, and your computer as well - if not, then skip setting the port to G2) dGPU off 32-bitA compaction for iGPU eGPU chainload to your OS Windows may yell at you to reboot due to hardware changes, don't quite yet Check device manager, you might (I did) have error 43 Attempt to install the latest Nvidia drivers for you eGPU -- still don't install drivers for your dGPU  
      If your lucky, it will install, if not:
      shutdown/reboot Setup 1.x do the same as before (dGPU off and such) Attempt to install the Nvidia drivers again for your eGPU After a few hours of fiddling around, you should get them installed (keep your dGPU off this whole time) ONLY AFTER YOU GET YOUR eGPU DRIVERS INSTALLED!! (and as such, error 12 in device manager) Go to Setup 1.x Set port G2 on your eGPU port (again, if you support G2) 32-bitA compaction for iGPU dGPU eGPU (or choose 36-bit if you performed a DSDT override) chainload  
      You will probably get the reboot due to new devices again, but before you do, check device manager
      Might have a generic VGA device or something instead of the NVS 4200M
      Attempt to install the drivers for you dGPU now
      If no luck, reboot and do the same Setup 1.x as before (with dGPU on)
      Attempt to install dGPU drivers again
      Reboot after you get your dGPU drivers installed
      Keep the same Setup 1.x method
      If your lucky you should have your iGPU dGPU and eGPU show up fine in device manager.
      You can go to the Nvidia control panel and dedicate your dGPU as your PhysX processor, it works really well. (If you play stuff that supports PhysX and have an at least somewhat useful dGPU)
      ------------------------------------
      I hope this helps.
      ^ over 20 hrs of fiddling around well spent ;-;
      ------------------------------------

HOW TO: Update drivers (probably):

Note:
      You can check your driver version for both your eGPU and dGPU in the System Information dialogue box under 'Help' in the NVIDIA Control Panel (you can even check your Bus here too (PCI Express x1 Gen2 as shown for my eGPU).

Results:::::
      iGPU + dGPU + eGPU

dGPU PhysX dedicated:

WEI:

ALL THE MONITORS (and all different resolutions too ):

Weeee~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out a video here:

• By velios
      Hi everyone, I was thinking of upgrading my ram from 8GB to 16GB 1600MHZ either Kingston/Crucial as my current ram usage is at always at 4GB now. Will upgrading make a lot of difference in the performance of the PC and will it improve the game play for GTA V as I am currently having massive lag with this game? 

Thank you in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.