svl7

Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

2 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

Yep, look's like this BIOS settings don't work.

Any chance this BIOS setting may be connected to memory module SPD?

In theory i may try to lower same setting in BIOS to 1333MHz and run AIDA64 test again.

What the RAM settings you use in bios setup menu? Post photo.

15 minutes ago, Klem said:

What the RAM settings you use in bios setup menu? Post photo.

1. Memory Frequency in Chipset Configuration [1067/1333/1600/1867/2133];

2. NMode in Chipset Configuration (1N/2N).

And here is results with 1333 MHz:

Memory_N1_i7_3820QM_1333MHz.png.bca15bd65a8be1a57a17bbe8876f635c.png

So, options partially working. If SPD is present - it working.

4 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

1. Memory Frequency in Chipset Configuration [1067/1333/1600/1867/2133];

2. NMode in Chipset Configuration (1N/2N).

Try to search in bios setup menu the setting  "DIMM profile", and set it from "Default DIMM profile" to "Custom profile". Then set Memory Frequency to 1866.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Klem said:

Try to search in bios setup menu the setting  "DIMM profile", and set it from "Default DIMM profile" to "Custom profile". Then set Memory Frequency to 1866.

I didn't saw such setting. I have got Y500, it's probably was cut. The only thing i can enable for DIMMs is Thermal Sensor if module have got it.

And last test for testing CPU unsupported memory frequency (1066 MHz), but included in memory module SPD:

image.png.d572ebddc2437b0d7329dee80d8387f9.png

So, i need to find 1866MHz memory module to confirm that this BIOS setting checking memory SPD for succes boot.

Edited by rusTORK

Posted (edited)

Today i finally tested memory modules with 1866 MHz:

i7-3820QM + SK hynix HMT41GS6BFR8A-RD (+ThrottleStop with multiplier 35T - 3.5GHz on all cores). This modules have balck PCB.

Memory_N1_i7_3820QM_SK_hynix_HMT41GS6BFR8A-RD_1866MHz_16Gb.thumb.png.1f76694d8b301d6b2e1e5a672dd3c2b1.png

At previous page i replaced screenshot with AIDA64 by new one. I re-runned this benchmark also with ThrottleStop.

1. Memory really working on 1866 MHz;

2. Better Read\Write\Copy (because of higher frequency);

3. Not much performance diffirence (because of high timings. if calculate latency - Ramaxel - 13,75ns, SK hynix - 13,93ns).

Also there was few problems. After i installed SK hynix one of the module incorrectly identified in AIDA64 - missed half of model number (HMT41G). Crashed and don't responded TouchPad (re-boot didn't helped). Later i switched to Ramaxel to confirm that TouchPad didn't died and installed SK hynix again, but in diffirent slots and everything was normal. Don't know why this happened. Maybe because SK hynix modules a bit thight fit in slots.

I also try to find 2133 MHz module. But interesting thing... only Kingston have such product, but i didn't founded any information about JEDEC standard timings of DDR3-2133. Only DDR4-2133.

Edited by rusTORK

Posted (edited)

I have got few things to share:

1. I ask unclewebb (ThrottleStop Author) about problem with Lenovo Y500 - CPU throttling when GPU have got temp more then 52°C. He recommended next:

On some Lenovo laptops like my Y510P, Lenovo thought it would be a good idea to disable Intel Turbo Boost when the Nvidia GPU is active. It does not happen immediately. It just quietly happens in the background while gaming so users were not always aware that their CPU performance was taking a hit. The trick I use to fix this problem is I set the FIVR Non Turbo Ratio to 1. Problem solved. This eliminates this type of throttling.

mJy5VEF.png.09adb46d1a30a0e4e381ad13a1ae1054.png

But i told unclewebb, that have got Ivy Bridge CPU, so no FIVR option for me. He suggested another thing:

For Ivy Bridge, try clicking on the TRL button. I believe the Non Turbo Ratio setting is in that window. Try setting it to 1. If that does not work, you will need to use the Set Multiplier option. That should work. 

TRL.png.fd0aebfead6ab6c2647fce3cde736cd6.png

It's under "TRL" button in main menu.

I tested it and it working.

2. I tested two memory kits:

1. Kingston HyperX Impact HX318LS10IBK2/16 (2x8Gb, 2Rx8, DDR3L, 1866MHz, CL10);

2. G.Skill Ripjaws V F3-1866C11D-16GRSL (2x8Gb, 2Rx8, DDR3L, 1866MHz, CL11).

Kingston start normally, i tested speed and latency in AIDA64, but it can't pass MemTest86. One memory module have no errors, but second one have got 75+ errors(!). Each module was tested in same DIMM slot. I talk with seller and ask to test it in his laptop (Lenovo Z710). He sent me results - 0 errors! G.Skill at the same time have no errors in my laptop.

Each kit is DDR3L (low power) and backward compatible with DDR3. Each have got higher frequency (1866MHz) then maximum compatible with CPU (1600MHz). I don't know why Kingston act like this. Maybe because it's have Micron chips, when G.Skill have got SK hynix.

Edited by rusTORK

Posted (edited)

Hi, I have changed boot to legacy support with usb boot but DOS screen is not execute. It stuck at lenovo bootlogo.

Edited by yag1z

On 10/24/2013 at 10:28 AM, octiceps said:

Yes it's fine, it's exactly what you need to do if you want the BIOS mod.

Depends on how far you overclock of course. And yes ThrottleStop is needed to run the i7 at full power but just be aware that it kicks out a substantially higher amount of heat, possibly to the point of overheating the CPU.

Cool, i managed to flash it successfully with the unlocked bios, but I tried to install hackintosh on it by meddling with the bios which eventually caused the bios unable to boot, however I restored the original bios with the USB stick and combo keys when the laptop first boot, so i now I am back to square one, which is the original locked v2.03 bios.

I wanted to flash it back with the unlocked bios, so I perform the usual fptw64.exe on win7 by backing up the original bios, and then use sl7 tool to modified the bios into unlocked bios. but now i encountered the problem saying the bios can't be written when I am in win7, so i boot to DOS, and run the PRR.exe in dos, and it stated as ready.

but when I use the fpt dos to flash the bios, it just give this error. (as shown in the picture) any idea what went wrong here?

thanks

IMG_1972.jpg

Posted (edited)

After flashing the Bios my laptop doesn't work it has only black screen and the wents are work please help me!!! The flashing procedure was 100% ok i don't know what was wrong please help me

Edited by Sfinx1988

On 8/2/2019 at 12:42 AM, joe66mustang said:

please help im stuck on the part with the bin file

See this video it's help you: 

I want say that I will return my laptop to life by the crisis bios recovery procedure. If any one have that same problem as I have before this will help :)

Posted (edited)

What is the Lenovo fast boot in the bios mod?

Edited by yag1z

So I have spent the last four hours scouring the internet trying to find the 2.02 update file as I have 1.05 and need to update to flash a modified BIOS. Turns out that the ONLY place to find it is in the file pack linked by OP, however obviously new users cannot download attachments without the whole five posts, approved by moderators, account promotion blah blah blah. In an attempt to save time, I tried to pay the six dollars for the Elite membership on the site so I could download it, but guess what? The page seems to be broken and I cannot add a new card to pay with. Can someone PLEASE PM me a link to the 2.02 update? I have the 2.04 but cannot use it without updating to 2.02 first. Please! Thank you so much!

7 hours ago, Klem said:

Lenovo's original stock bios you can download from this link:  https://www.sendspace.com/file/e7wymz

Thank you so much man! Successfully updated from 1.05 to 2.02 then 2.04. I have my bootable disk ready, however I just realized that the package I downloaded did not include "y500-y400-sli-650m-80.07.27.00.33-oc.rom.zip". Is there any way you could PM me a link to that? 

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2018 at 6:06 PM, MI19 said:

Is anybody able to use Wake On LAN from S5? Only when shutdown to S3 state the keyboard an mouse are working for waking up the Y500. When going to S4 or S5 sleep state keyboard mouse and networkcard are dead (seems without power). So no possibility to wake the laptopp. Waking is the only posible with On/Off switch. In the Bios i activated WOL. Any idea?

@MI19 Hi MI19, I have the same question with you. My laptop is y410p and I flashed the modded bios thanks to svl7. I found wake on lan config in the bios, but it seems has no effect. I can only wake from sleep state, unable to wake from hibernate and shutdown. When laptop sleep the network adapter's light remains blinking but goes off when hibernate or shutdown. 

IMG_20191006_143054.thumb.jpg.b782929e9aedfcda6a59df5db06f30e6.jpg

Edited by wdnmd

Does anybody have another download link? It seems kinda silly to me, that I have to be approved by a mod to download a file from 2013.