Latest News
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
svl7

Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

arjun    11

svl7 awesome guide !! cant thank yu enough :):20_003::78:

could yu please tell me wat are the options in the bios tht has to be changed for enabling intel HD 4000 graphics ?

sanka    12

im a bit confused about the bios versions.... Is v1.5 the same as v1.05 and v1.3 the same as v1.03?

Btw, great job Svl7

svl7    5424

I never called the bios v1.5 or v1.3 as far as I know... in the bios itself it says 1.05v, where did you see 1.5v?

sanka    12

Earlier in the previous thread... I think it was someone else. Anyway, its good to know that there is only v1.0x. It just got me i bit confused..

Thanks

--

What is a whitelist exactly?

Is there any other card you can install thats "within" the whitelist? Or am i getting this all wrong?

svl7    5424

Well, there might be a v1.5 bios sometime in the future... I'm not familiar with Lenovo's naming scheme.

Whitelist is the opposite of a blacklist :D In the case of this system it is a list of hardware IDs of wlan cards which are accepted by the bios, if you try to boot the system with a different card it will show an error message at POST and refuse to boot. This mod circumvents this.

sanka    12

Okey. Is there an actual list ? I mean is there other wlan card that we know are accepted?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks

svl7    5424

Yeah there is, but it shouldn't matter since the check is now removed. All cards should work.

kareldegrote    13

@ svl7, I followed your guide and everything went smooth. I also installed a dual band WLAN card which works just fine. Thanx for your work!

maxmed-a80    10

hello... I try to disperse the lenovo Y 500 GT650 SLI, but clock don't rise. how to correct it? thanks in advance... I am sorry for transfer

n1smo    39

Just flashed to the unlocked bios. Great instructions, everything went smoothly. Thanks svl7!!!

arju    11

Sir, kindly ask if this will work for v1.04 bios if I flash on top with v1.05 mod bios. TQ sir

attached bios backup for reference.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

LENOVO-6BCN32WW(V1.04).zip

sanka    12

Great job svl7! Got my laptop yesterday and installed the modified bios. No problems and i have never done anything like it before.

kareldegrote    13
Has anyone tried using the Intel Ultimate N 633ANHMW with the Y500?

No, but it should work because the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 is a commonly used card. If you want to use 3 instead of 2 connections you should buy an extra antenna.

arju    11

anyone with bios 6BCN32WW v1.04 flash with mod bios v1.05? working?

thks

No, but it should work because the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 is a commonly used card. If you want to use 3 instead of 2 connections you should buy an extra antenna.

Thanks. I didn't realize replacing the adapter was going to be such an involved task.

kareldegrote    13
Thanks. I didn't realize replacing the adapter was going to be such an involved task.

It isn't you can also use two connections, or buy the Intel Centrino 6235. I assume you want 5GHz next to the 2,4GHz?

I have a Broadcom dual band card with Bluetooth installed on my Y500.

It isn't you can also use two connections, or buy the Intel Centrino 6235. I assume you want 5GHz next to the 2,4GHz?

I have a Broadcom dual band card with Bluetooth installed on my Y500.

Yeah, I want dual band. I frequently move large amounts of data to/from a desktop and I want max throughput. I have no need for Bluetooth, so the lack of it on the 6300 isn't a problem. I'm just not sure if I'm up to the task of installing a third antenna inside the display and whether it's worth the trouble.

svl7    5424

The touchpad stuff is (in case it's software related) most likely in the EC. This method will only flash the bios, and as described in my guide, it's not necessarily a good idea to flash a modified which is a different version than your current bios, at least not when flashing this way. The EC isn't included and this might cause serious issues.

For going to a newer bios version I highly recommend waiting for an official bios update from Lenovo.

tetrazombie    10

Hi,

Can this method be used for IdeaPad Y400 as well? Thanks.

Updated: My Y400 has bios version v1.05 so I use the v1.05 file in the post to mod the bios. The modded bios works like a charm. I can now use Wifi Link 5100 AGN for the 5Ghz band. For those who are skeptical to try because your laptop is Y400 instead of Y500, just go ahead and follow the instruction of svl7 in this thread.

Good luck to all and thank you again svl7 for this great tool/instruction.

svl7    5424

This has been discussed, it's due to the motherboard design, leaving out the ability to use only the iGPU respectively only the dedicated GPU needs a more sophisticated mobo design, i.e. more expensive. Lenovo didn't put that ability in the Y500.

startear    10

Hi svl7, just wanted to thank you for wirting this tutorial and helping out the community~

Any idea on how to bypass the Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets?