X7200 vs M18x which one would you choose?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. X7200 vs M18x which one would you choose?

• M18x
    • X7200

you must mean Johnkss. He laid the smack down on Clevo over their when a similar set of Clevo owners insisted they had top Vantage... and just the same it was based on physX enabled... so yeah M18x did out score that Clevo even with Physx enabled too. Im still going to give a run too when i feel better. Wont hurt to see John post one of his scores @JohnKSS

The Clevo guy's CPU score is still higher and it doesn't even look like he's pushed his GPUs... I'm sure he can push his CPU much higher as well.

Very true. I really want to get my hands on a P270WM though. That thing screams and actually has enough space in the chassis to do a water cooling mod with an external radiator.

The Clevo guy's CPU score is still higher and it doesn't even look like he's pushed his GPUs... I'm sure he can push his CPU much higher as well.

which scores are you reading Clevo GPU is 31468 and John's M18x score gpu Vantage was 33527... The clevo had 76k cpu and m18x had 74k cpu... Is that what you meant im confused.

Edit: nevermind cpu and gpu looked same to me at the time. Gotchya Geocake.

• Founder

Clevo has limited overclocking, especially the CPU. Their GPUs don't overclock as good as Dell ones either. I wouldn't be surprised if that's his max score. I don't think its his system either, he most likely used someone else's max run.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Edited by Brian

Clevo has limited overclocking, especially the CPU. Their GPUs don't overclock as good as Dell ones either. I wouldn't be surprised if that's his max score. I don't think its his system either, he most likely used someone else's max run.

Not so talkitive now that score was obliterated :) i agree Brian if he could do 850-860 core wouldnt it of been posted :) how fast was that in 6 core anyway. Because 4cores at 4.85ghz is just a little lower cpu subscore with ppu on than 990x in those to scores... It seemed to say 31x multiplier.... must of been too hot to use higher

.. Vantage is a killer on cpu... A run at 4.9-4.95 ghz may very well beat that 76 k cpu subscore... Did a quick run loke that at just 4.6ghz and got 70k cpu today so chance is that 76k cpu subscore is still going to be attainable on 2900XM series with ppu enabled.

@mw86 take care of your health first ,

@all other's

look its an i7 980x in stock clocks, but i7 2960xm at 4.8GHZ hehe, I can push mine to 5.1 , but I have not gone over it. and at that time I did a furmark and temps were like 98 .C will 100% fan , I had an fear when running at that speed so went to stock speed again. if I have done the vantage bench It would have gone over 105 thousand, and I can push the gpu's more because this has the best cooling for a laptop. If I maxxout both and do a vantage it should exceed 45K , I bet I can.

but i7 2960xm , dont try to push them more than 4.7 because , if no proper cooling then you would burn it.

one more thing , x7200's brother is on his way (p270wm), if he joins the battle , m18x have to be*d over. I can bet M18x is the best laptop for sandybridge.

Are you saying you ran a 980X at 5.1ghz in an X7200? I know what that takes and while I respect the cooling abilities of the clevo, there's NO WAY that would be usable beyond getting a CPU-Z shot and even that I doubt. That would push most custom watercooling loops on desktops.

look ,the temps were increasing quickly , and the furmark is for about 1 min (less than it maybe), the current consumed by it was 494W

thats why I feared, I didnt shut it down with windows, but I was holding the power button until it tured off.

there is a bios mod to overclock it to extreme, but with normal clevo bios its not allowed.

dont try to hit that much with 2960xm it will burn for sure,

In my county the room temp is like 26.c so took the laptop near the window airconditioner and set the cooling to max , waited for sometime to make it reach maximum cool, and kept the x7200 vertically over air cond, bottom cover removed, waited for 2 min turned on the system ,changed the speed and rebooted,

and in windows did the furmark , then the temps started to rise.

• Founder

@all other's

look its an i7 980x in stock clocks, but i7 2960xm at 4.8GHZ hehe, I can push mine to 5.1 , but I have not gone over it. and at that time I did a furmark and temps were like 98 .C will 100% fan , I had an fear when running at that speed so went to stock speed again. if I have done the vantage bench It would have gone over 105 thousand, and I can push the gpu's more because this has the best cooling for a laptop. If I maxxout both and do a vantage it should exceed 45K , I bet I can.

but i7 2960xm , dont try to push them more than 4.7 because , if no proper cooling then you would burn it.

one more thing , x7200's brother is on his way (p270wm), if he joins the battle , m18x have to be*d over. I can bet M18x is the best laptop for sandybridge.

Unless you can post a screen shot showing a better score than M18x its pointless. P270wm may be coming but so is the IB refresh of M18x.

@all other's

one more thing , x7200's brother is on his way (p270wm), if he joins the battle , m18x have to be*d over.

What are you talking about? If I remember it correctly you don't have an i7 980x... You've been looking for an i7 965.

Stop talking and provide some pics and screenshots to back up your claims.

do you know ,I had an i7 980x before 2 months, I sold it to setup an evga sr2 rig , but I failed to finish it because didnt have money to buy an xeon and a psu.

so I came across an idea to put an i7 965 on x7200 and reuse it, that is the real story.

ps; i dont have a processor atm, so no bench and cant prove am a real guy ..:blue::blue:

Edited by evgasr2

Thank you still not quite right yet :(

since i cant get a bench up yet heres a previous set of benches on my lovely 2960XM :)

post-34-14494992756089_thumb.png

this one was a full run at 5130mhz wprime 32m 8thread for 4.8 secs

post-34-14494992757084_thumb.png

Wprime 1024M 155.81 Seconds @ 4.949Ghz 8threads

post-34-14494992758033_thumb.png

5197mhz validated :)

not a 12thread cpu but she bangs

6.284 secs away from Jimbo's 1024m wprime 8thread i7 2600k 149.526 seconds @ 5.188ghz :)

post-34-14494992758532_thumb.png

0.066 seconds away from Jimbo's 32m wprime 8thread i7 2600k 4.734 seconds @ 5.288Ghz :)

post-34-1449499275874_thumb.png

my cooling was AC just like you and on the M18x Jimbo's is a full desktop rig on Phase Change... i'm sure he can elaborate on specifics... got any benches set aside you can post since you dont have the rig set up to run more? Any validation, wprime, super pi, 3dmark 06 or anything else the computer community uses to compare systems? you know like a pic of the 5ghz 980x run?

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

unfortunately I couldnt save any screen shots with that speed,

but I could hit nice speeds with my new i7 965, but have to buy one first.

but a guy on nbr has a same system as mine, il ask him for some bench's and post it here.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very bad news: I sold my Clevo X7200 for 750$ ,.

off the topic: so il be jumping to m18x, is it worth still to get an m18x r1 ?

or should I wait for upcomming beasts : M18x r2 or Clevo P270WM.

thanks/.. :D

just read this thread, lol'd. Funny how evgasr2 claims he can clock past 5 but doesn't know how to take a screenshot...seems legit.

If you're going to troll, take it to NBR, where intelligent conversation isn't possible.

lol if I start to troll il be trolling over forums.

btw: do you know what happened, I seriouly had an Clevo x7200 , but I couldnt buy an processor for it, but the seller whom I bought this had , he is the guy who told me stuffs like this, as that could be overclocked and shit, but at that time i was like a noob, lol but ,I thought he was a pro and belived him but at last didnt have money to buy it. so it was sitting with me for a year. then I did some research on overclocking i7 980x and found that on air its the maximum overclock should be less than 4.2 - 4.3 .

lol he's an idiot .lol nvm , its my luck because I didnt buy his i7 980x for 1000$ lol .

im sorry guys I have tried to prove false info as true,.

but next time im going to do serious hw when buying an laptop.

but now I seriously need an new laptop , so should I wait for m18x r2 or buy an m18x r1 ?

Edited by evgasr2