NVIDIA officially states they cut overclocking from mobile GPU's... :(

Man I haven't heard about shader unlocking in a long time. That's crazy if true. Interesting things to come I guess lol.

AMD cards do it all the time. Buy 7950, unlock 7970, profit. But R9 290, unlock R9 290X, profit.

nVidia has it too. Buy GTX 680, pop off 1 capacitor, instant Quadro K5000

After I posted Premas information on the garmen PCGHX Forums the german hardwaresite PCGamesHardware cared to release an article that qoutes Prema and sides this with an actual statement by MSI that seems to point in the same direction:

MSI bestätigt derweil indirekt ein solches Vorgehen von Nvidia, hier die wortwörtliche Stellungnahme: "MSI plant derzeit keine Änderung an den Übertaktungsmöglichkeiten der MSI-Gaming-Notebooks. Die aktuellen Aussagen von Nvidia zu dem Thema haben keinen Einfluss auf unser Produktdesign.
Meanwhile MSI indirectly confirms this manouever by nVidia. This is their literal statement "MSI is not planing to Change the overclockability of the MSI-Gaming-Notebooks. nVidias actual statements have no influence on our product design.

Source: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidia-Geforce-Grafikkarte-255598/News/OC-Sperre-Maxwell-Mobile-MSI-Stellungnahme-1151896/

Best regard

phila

P.S.: Guess I`ll be going back to Clevo next time ;-)

• Thumbs Up 3

Figured MSI will remove any blocks from their machines just like they do with their desktop cards. Clevo and Dell just take whatever nVidia feeds them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I guess this is some sort of janus-headed statement. On one hand they will not remove the blocks actively - as anyone kwnos they have their modder/moderator "Svet" who will do this on request - without MSI having to choose sides.

Anyhow. I think I`ll go with Clevo next time as through svl7 and Prema we got the best support!

Best reagrds

phila

• Thumbs Up 2

On one hand they will not remove the blocks actively - as anyone kwnos they have their modder/moderator "Svet" who will do this on request - without MSI having to choose sides.

Anyhow. I think I`ll go with Clevo next time as through svl7 and Prema we got the best support!

I have never looked at this situation from this side. Hmmm, looks like it's all real serious in a tech world with areas of influence etc.

5263483+_a8ceec569d665eaf317c69fcb0493f86.jpg

The sad truth to what you say is that this is actually the second generation that is not as good as the previous. The gap is wider now than the last one, and the trend is becoming "older is better" where technology is concerned. It's just unfortunate that the Alienware machines have a BIOS compatibility issue with Maxwell. Haswell mobile started the downgrade process and all indicators are that things will get even worse than they are now. The "eco-friendly" idiots and their "efficiency" religion is ruining everything for everyone, and their brain cancer has metastasized with the help of Kool-Aid drinkers at Intel and NVIDIA.

Yup just gonna grab a 780m to play with and a 2920xm and that should last for a couple more years. Don't wanna give the OEM's my money if I can help it right now period. Might even do a mobo swap to an r4 eventually we shall see. :)

Well, here the currently shipping GTX970M vBIOS:

TRoThsv.png

It is NOT modified, that's an Inspector error!

These are all systems that until now used to ship and have been reviewed with overclock enabled vBIOS.

The only way they can still fix this is to let the next driver ignore the new "core OC disable" bit, which now appears to be present in every single vBIOS made since December. clear.png

These are all systems that until now used to ship and have been reviewed with overclock enabled vBIOS. The only way they can still fix this is to let the next driver ignore the new "core OC disable" bit, which now appears to be present in every single vBIOS made since December. clear.png

Did I get this correct? Those cards have had a vBios revision of allready fabricated cards in order to block them? Plus: If nVidia should choose not to ignore this new bit, the OC will instantly be locked again? Plus: nVidia planed on dooing this since december?

Best regards and thank you for the insights.

phila

Correct, they used to ship the same systems with OC enabled vBIOS.

With the latest batch of the same system GTX980M, GTX970M & GTX965M are all locked.

If NVIDIA doesn't set a new driver to ignore the "OC disabled bit" then these cards can not be OCed without flashing the vBIOS to a Mod or older version (if available).

Until now there is no driver (old or new) that can OC these cards in their current state.

I haven't seen a single Maxwell Mobile vBIOS that's dated December or later (from any OEM) that doesn't have this new block.

The first OC-blocked 347 driver also dates to early December, so they pushed both to OEMs at the same time...

@Prema - without divulging any of the secrets that you, @johnksss and @svl7 employ in your vBIOS mods, how difficult is it to use a hex editor to remove the "OC Disable" bit?

Would a quick "how to" tutorial video to demonstrate to enthusiasts everywhere how undo the cancer using a hex editor be something that could be broadly distributed across many forums worldwide as a huge nasty-finger big-me salute to NVIDIA?

If it becomes public knowledge how to circumvent it, I wouldn't put it past nVidia to change it and cause people to brick their cards by hex editing the wrong area.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Ethrem on this one. Let's see how things pan out first. With the recent influx of "security updates" to old drivers as a response to the mobile G-Sync driver that put egg on Nvidia's face, I expect them to do something along the lines of what Ethrem described.

Desktop users might literally rip their hearts out and eat them out of jealousy

They would just invent some more reasons why laptops shouldn't overclock due to poor cooling that they read about 10 years ago and does not really hold true any more. They still don't believe laptops can be gaming machines period.

If it becomes public knowledge how to circumvent it, I wouldn't put it past nVidia to change it and cause people to brick their cards by hex editing the wrong area.

Honestly at this point if they have proven anything to us it is that they will do anything that they feel they need to in order to stop us from OCing or at least phase it out in the long run.

Thanks! :)

Desktop users might literally rip their hearts out and eat them out of jealousy
They'd still complain.
They would just invent some more reasons why laptops shouldn't overclock due to poor cooling that they read about 10 years ago and does not really hold true any more. They still don't believe laptops can be gaming machines period.

Honestly at this point if they have proven anything to us it is that they will do anything that they feel they need to in order to stop us from OCing or at least phase it out in the long run.

Thanks! :)

What @MogRules said... I've already posted examples like @HTWingNut and they still are full of lame excuses. Don't cast pearls before swine, don't pee into a headwind, and don't try to reason with retarded imbeciles. They are all futile endeavors. Posting the examples is good, as they stand on their own as prima facie evidence of their ignorance. Active silence helps to exacerbate their frustration. By not validating their view with a response other than a screen shot, you publicly model the ultimate form of disrespect for their misinformed position. While ignorance is the sum of their existence, it is undeniably unfortunate that the elite have to endure their worthlessness.

What @MogRules said... I've already posted examples like @HTWingNut and they still are full of lame excuses. Don't cast pearls before swine, don't pee into a headwind, and don't try to reason with retarded imbeciles. They are all futile endeavors. Posting the examples is good, as they stand on their own as prima facie evidence of their ignorance. Active silence helps to exacerbate their frustration. By not validating their view with a response, you public model the ultimate form of disrespect for their ignorance. While this is the sum of their existence, it is undeniably unfortunate that the elite have to endure their worthlessness.

Exactly. All I do now is "enter" their "benchmark compilations" threads on various forums. When you show results they end up going "woah, that is one badass laptop!" instead of "lol, why you OCing on a laptop for?". I think that's the only route available to us. If they ask what model it is, give it to them and say "you can't do this anymore, because everything is integrated and TDP locked. But they're thin now! So that's good, right?"

*svl7 & Johnksss* vBIOS MOD - Alienware/PEG GPU throttling...;)

2RNVsZYh.png

J95 you have the 980m in the R4 right? When you switch between Optimus and dedicated modes, have u had to reinstall NVIDIA drivers? Also, I heard that windows 7 works in Optimus mode supposedly in the Alienware upgrade thread.. I might have read wrong but do correct me here if it isn't the case.