GTX 9xxM overclocking thread

chap

Hi everyone,

So I'm researching overclocking of GTX 980M, as NVIDIA has apparently capitulated and will be re-enabling the functionality with a future driver. I've got a Clevo P750ZM notebook, and I've installed the 344.75 drivers. Long story short: I can't figure out what program will let me overclock at all. EVGA Precision crashes immediately on loading, and MSI Afterburner 4.1 doesn't allow GPU core adjustments (though I can tweak RAM clocks apparently). GPU Tweak seems to be in the same category as MSI Afterburner. Is it possible the P750ZM isn't supported right now and that's my problem, or is there some other utility you'd recommend for this?

On a related note, what about the Prema VBIOS mods? If anyone wants to email me for some discussion, please do so. Yes, I'm *that* Jarred Walton.

• Founder

Hey Jarred, welcome to T|I, good to have you here. Did you recently get a hold of that Clevo? If so, you may be interested to take a look here: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8998-nvidia-officially-states-they-cut-overclocking-mobile-gpus-3.html#post124474 Apparently NVIDIA has began locking down vbios now in new 970M/980M shipments. So while technically they claim they will re-enable overclocking in their drives, they're putting in lockouts on their vbios. Definitely something worth noting in your article on AT when the time comes. Also, @Prema and @svl7 are our resident modders so they should be able to help you with any questions you have.

It sounds like you have a vBIOS locked 980m. It only allows memory overclocking. Basically you need to use a modded version of NVFLASH to flash on svl7's vbios to have full overclocking. This also enables power limit and voltage control.

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8998-nvidia-officially-states-they-cut-overclocking-mobile-gpus-12.html#post124474

Hi everyone,

So I'm researching overclocking of GTX 980M, as NVIDIA has apparently capitulated and will be re-enabling the functionality with a future driver. I've got a Clevo P750ZM notebook, and I've installed the 344.75 drivers. Long story short: I can't figure out what program will let me overclock at all. EVGA Precision crashes immediately on loading, and MSI Afterburner 4.1 doesn't allow GPU core adjustments (though I can tweak RAM clocks apparently). GPU Tweak seems to be in the same category as MSI Afterburner. Is it possible the P750ZM isn't supported right now and that's my problem, or is there some other utility you'd recommend for this?

On a related note, what about the Prema VBIOS mods? If anyone wants to email me for some discussion, please do so. Yes, I'm *that* Jarred Walton.

We have made older stock Clevo vBIOS with the usual +135Mhz limit as well as a mod version that allows the user to find their own limits available HERE.

We are not providing any guidance for this.

Sorry we can't be of help here.

Hey Jarred, welcome to T|I, good to have you here. Did you recently get a hold of that Clevo? If so, you may be interested to take a look here: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8998-nvidia-officially-states-they-cut-overclocking-mobile-gpus-3.html#post124474 Apparently NVIDIA has began locking down vbios now in new 970M/980M shipments. So while technically they claim they will re-enable overclocking in their drives, they're putting in lockouts on their vbios. Definitely something worth noting in your article on AT when the time comes. Also, @Prema and @svl7 are our resident modders so they should be able to help you with any questions you have.

Yeah, the P750ZM is maybe a couple weeks old at most, so it probably shipped with the "bad" OC BIOS. Nice of NVIDIA to "re-enable" overclocking, but if it's locked out in the BIOS it doesn't really matter. Looks like I'll have to give the VBIOS update a try instead. Anyone have some good baseline suggestions? I don't want to push the laptop TOO hard (since it's not mine and I have to send it back in working order). I'll probably start with the +135 MHz and them maybe see about going for... I don't know. Is 270MHz too much? Probably. What RAM clocks are typically "safe", 5.5GHz? (so +250?) And I'll definitely be giving a shout out to you guys when the investigation goes live.

Fun fact: I asked my NVIDIA contact for information on overclocking. The response: " We are not providing any guidance for this. Sorry we can't be of help here." Ha.

Use NVIDIA Inspector alongside the mod, it offers core, vRAM and voltage options. Most cards do about +200Mhz (+-50Mhz) extra on core with stock voltage and max out at about 1500Mhz +-50Mhz on core and vRAM (that being with up to 1.2v)

Also by using FN+1 the systems FANS will do 100% duty.

cooling aint the problem whatsoever (at least not on my rig), the gpu core itself will give out way before any thermal limits are reached whatsoever ;) havent done proper stability testing yet, but ballpark for my 980M is +295 mhz on stock voltage and +440 mhz at 1.2v. thats +26% and +39%, respectively. so its not too utopic to predict my stable spot to be around 30-35% :) as for temps, ive barely just managed to break 70C under heavy load *lol*

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi Prema,

Question for you: is there some trick to getting the Eurocom P750ZM to boot from a USB device? I used Rufus to format two different USB sticks with FreeDOS, put the VBIOS files on there, but when I go into the boot manager (F7) or BIOS (F2 I think?), there's simply no option to boot from USB.

Hi Prema,

Question for you: is there some trick to getting the Eurocom P750ZM to boot from a USB device? I used Rufus to format two different USB sticks with FreeDOS, put the VBIOS files on there, but when I go into the boot manager (F7) or BIOS (F2 I think?), there's simply no option to boot from USB.

Vbios has to be done in Windows, not DOS. It needs the hacked nvflash that comes in the archive which is a Windows executable file and you have to go into device manager and right-click and hit disable on your video card(s)

As for booting from your USB I imagine you'll have to do what I have to do and enable hybrid mode under boot by changing UEFI from Windows 8.x to others and making sure EFI boot is enabled. When you F7, it will offer you the chance to boot your USB drive by name.

Edit: ninja'd by Prema lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jarred

Disable UEFI in F2 BIOS menu and boot from USB with F7 afterwards. ;)

BIOS flash in DOS.

vBIOS flash in Windows.

Just figured that out.

So question: I was intending to just update the VBIOS, but should I also get an updated system BIOS? Current version/firmware is 1.03.06EC v1a, KBC/EC: 1.03.03. It's Eurocom and already mentions Prema, so maybe no need?

If you're wondering, the VBIOS is listed as 84.04.3E.00.01, dated 12/08/14 -- this is locked as far as I can tell to RAM adjustments.

not OC & oc results from Furmark

post-32985-14494999534327_thumb.png

Not OC settings

post-32985-14494999534612_thumb.png

OC settings. same thing before it drops.

post-32985-14494999534861_thumb.png

Current Clock always hangs around 759 mhz core clock during FurMark stress tes; where i do my testing to see what its actually pumping. its pumping less then default stock.....

Does Dragon Gaming centre have anything to do with this? or any other third party software? msi afterburner was turned off here.

should i try a different program to check?

nvidia gpus have a builtin throttle mechanism for furmark/kombustor/occt, so i wouldnt use those to stress test ur gpu. just use a benchmark like firestrike, unigine valley or a demanding game like bf4 or crysis 3 instead :)

ouch, that doesnt sound right... could also be due to those missing voltage regulators....lets see what meaker finds out, hes planning to add some extra ones to his card and see if it changes the oc ability

I am thinking NVidia locked vBios because they are binning 980m lower. My OC is meager 175/250 for in game stable in Crysis 3 that has constant 98% usage.

That isn't too unusual for stock voltage. It would be if already a bit overvolted...

ouch, that doesnt sound right... could also be due to those missing voltage regulators....lets see what meaker finds out, hes planning to add some extra ones to his card and see if it changes the oc ability

Check out Khenglish's take on it:

http://forum.techinferno.com/<wbr>general-notebook-discussions/<wbr>9026-980m-has-one-less-vrm-<wbr>than-any-previous-nvidia-mxm-<wbr>card-back-260-a.html#<wbr>post123000