US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Setup:

- MBPr late 2013, 13", 8GB, i5

- MSI GTX 970 Gaming

- be quiet! System Power 7 - 500W PSU

- AKiTiO Thunder2 (without its PSU, only powered by the riser)

- molex powered riser

Power consumption (combination of GPU, ATX PSU, AKiTiO [without PSU], riser):

Idle ~ 21W

Valley ~ 150-160W (max. 180W)

3dMark11 ~ 200W (max 215W)

3dMark13_Sky ~ 195-200W (crashes after entering the cave)

3dMark13_Fire ~ 170-200W (max. 210W)

Furmark ~ 215W (max. 220W [100% power target])

Furmark ~ 225W (max. 230W [105% power target])

Furmark ~ 240W (max. 240W [110% power target])

Waaaat, it crashes for you too, can you explain how it crashed for you?

This means that our cards are probably fine and this is most likely a driver issue. Funny how we see +210W on a card speculated to TDP @146W? =)

EDIT: And you just answered my 'does it power with riser + no Akitio PSU' -question, thanks again!

Updated my power consumtion post! http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24225-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-43.html#post107504

I have no clue about the cave crash… sound was still playing, which means no OS freez, but the 3dMark picture was frozen. Power consumtion dropped -> no GPU use anymore.

Seems like a bug to me. 3dMark or Nvidia... no idea. All the other benchmarks worked flawless.

Funny how we see +210W on a card speculated to TDP @146W? =)

A german hardware page (tomshardware.de) made an awesome review about "board partner" GPU layouts.

Like my MSI GTX 970 Gaming, most of the cards are overclocked and used beyond the official TDP. But with more horsepower comes an exponential increasing power comsumtion. The "sweetspot" is the official TDP.

Updated my power consumtion post! http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24225-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-43.html#post107504

I have no clue about the cave crash… sound was still playing, which means no OS freez, but the 3dMark picture was frozen. Power consumtion dropped -> no GPU use anymore.

Seems like a bug to me. 3dMark or Nvidia... no idea. All the other benchmarks worked flawless.

A german hardware page (tomshardware.de) made an awesome review about "board partner" GPU layouts.

Like my MSI GTX 970 Gaming, most of the cards are overclocked and used beyond the official TDP. But with more horsepower comes an exponential increasing power comsumtion. The "sweetspot" is the official TDP.

Yep same here, sound still running, no GPU activity. Even my PSU is turned off due to something strange happening from the GPU.

I might consider clocking down to that sweet spot if necessary (since I will only use the limit of my DA-2), I really like the card so far!

Thank you for helping me with the power measurements.

It looks like my issues with not detecting my eGPU are either related to my Akitio enclosure or my Thunderbolt connection, since nothing is detected in device manager with just the Akitio plugged in (hotplugged at any stage, turned on in different orders, etc.). I'll be testing the laptop with a Thunderbolt display and the Akitio with a friends Macbook. I never use Macs, so what is the easiest way to test if the Akitio is working in OS X?

I never use Macs, so what is the easiest way to test if the Akitio is working in OS X?

Connect the AKiTiO without any card in the slot, power it up and hot plug it to the MacBook. Open  ; About this Mac ; More Info ; System report ; Thunderbolt

Here you should find the AKiTiO!

Connect the AKiTiO without any card in the slot, power it up and hot plug it to the MacBook. Open  ; About this Mac ; More Info ; System report ; Thunderbolt

Here you should find the AKiTiO!

This worked and the Akitio connected. On the other hand, my laptop would not connect to the Thunderbolt display, so there is some issue on my laptop's end with Thunderbolt. I'm not sure where I'll go from here... the only thing I can think of is some sort of driver (or god forbid, hardware) issue with Thunderbolt, but I know others with the G46 had no problem with this. Then again, I've only seen the Thundertek enclosure used with this machine, so perhaps there's some sort of incompatibility there. Ideas on how to troubleshoot from here, anyone?

Mbpr 13" late 2013 so far no optimus under win8.1 efi with akitio. Whatever I do there is some sort of problem. I also erased nvidia drivers with drive sweeper to install the gpu again. This time the card is not detected at all.

I connected the card with pe4l v. 2.1 and it is detected I installed nvidia drivers and optimus works fine.

I then connected the card with akito and the card is again not detected. Internal screen is black windows works but no signal to the external screen. Before external screen was working with akitio.

any ideas about that?

<strike>I think there are problems with akitio especially with optimus. So who consider playing games on internal screen should be careful before buying it.</strike>

@Dschijn That would be great! I was about to build your setup with gtx 970 but could't get optimus working. So I am about to send akitio back if I can't get it working.

the problem might be because of lack of (something like sw2 switch on pe4l). Pe4l detects the card only with the configuration below. Otherwise it gives the same errors like akitio by restarting mac on and on.

I power on pe4l, tb cable plugged in than I start mac with alt pressed to come booth option. Pe4l switches after about 15 seconds with the sw2 switch (the red light goes and it turns green) after that I boot in windows the gpu fans spins very fast and than gets slower (this means the gpu is working)

I think we need that kind of configuration with akitio. I tried starting the psu but not akito adapter and I plugged in akitio when waiting in boot options like in pe4l but didn't work. (using akitio with its own adapter)

The difference with pe4l is when I start psu gpu fans started spinning normal and after a while when pe4l do the switch it starts spinning faster. In akitio when I start psu without akitio gpu fans don't spin. That is the biggest difference that might prevent optimus.

I would appreciate if there are any ideas about that.

@aqqua

1) Check that you have Boot Camp drivers 5.1.5640 installed (Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5640) and the latest Nvidia drivers

2) Confirm that "Turn on fast startup" is unchecked: Boot Camp: Thunderbolt devices not recognized after Windows 8 upgrade

Then try the following:

3) Confirm that internal screen is set as default display (external screen extended or internal only in use, try both)

4) Shut down your system completely, and power on ATX PSU + AKiTiO at the same time from the power strip switch

5) Alt/option key down, select windows partition quickly or wait for 5-10 seconds and then select

6) If the steps 3-5 don't make it work, the final attempt is to plug in TB cable a few seconds after restart

Some graphics cards require those previous 3-6 steps before internal screen can be detected. The chosen card vendor/model is one important factor if you want Optimus to be more like plug and play (I recommend EVGA). AKiTiO does support Optimus very well after you have found the right method for detection.

I updated to GeForce 344.11 driver with my setup (MBPr 15" Iris Pro + EVGA GTX 780), external screen went black during the installation, but after restart Optimus worked and everything was ok. Once internal screen is detected, you need one additional shut down + restart in order to have correct resolution and icon sizes in your internal screen/external screen.

@Dschijn That would be great! I was about to build your setup with gtx 970 but could't get optimus working. So I am about to send akitio back if I can't get it working.

Optimus worked flawless. Just booted without an external display and ran some benchmarks.

Results (eGPU external display vs. Hackintosh):

3dMark_FireStrike (Graphics Score): 9763 vs. 12367 (79% performance of Hackintosh)

Valley_ExtremeHD(Score): 2104 vs. 2274 (92,5% performance of Hackintosh)

Optimus results (internal vs. external display):

3dMark_FireStrike (Graphics Score): 8785 vs. 9763 (90% performance of external display)

3dMark_11(Graphics Score): 13687 vs. 12981 (95% performance of external display)

Valley_ExtremeHD(Score): 1922 vs. 2104 (91% performance of external display)

Optimus results (Optimus vs. Hackintosh):

3dMark_FireStrike (Graphics Score): 8785 vs. 12367 (71% performance of Hackintosh)

Valley_ExtremeHD(Score): 1922 vs. 2274 (84,5% performance of Hackintosh)

• Thumbs Up 2

Optimus worked flawless. Just booted without an external display and ran some benchmarks.

Optimus results (internal vs. external display):

3dMark_FireStrike (Graphics Score): 8785 vs. 9763 (90% performance of external display)

3dMark_11(Graphics Score): 13687 vs. 12981 (95% performance of external display)

Valley_ExtremeHD(Score): 1922 vs. 2104 (91% performance of external display)

Optimus results (Optimus vs. Hackintosh):

3dMark_FireStrike (Graphics Score): 8785 vs. 12367 (71% performance of Hackintosh)

Valley_ExtremeHD(Score): 1922 vs. 2274 (84,5% performance of Hackintosh)

Those numbers indeed look very good! :) Does it work with both screens (external extended)? Which steps required? Of course, the best internal/external performance is got when the other screen is disabled.

To instal the eGPU I just followed exactly your guide: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7580-%5Bguide%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx780%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html

For Optimus I booted without any display connected. Optimus with a connected external (but not used) external display doesn't make that much sense to me (no offense)!

@goalque

thank you for detailed instructions I will try them out when I am at home

@Dschijn

thank you for tying out optimus. It gives hope that it works. I especially need optimus as I dont have external monitor and rather don't want to buy one. I just borrowed a monitor from a friend to test after failed to lunch akitio at the begining.

@goalque

I tried the instructions exactly but the same result happens. I checked both devices if there is hardware problem. Gpu is working with pe4l and akitio is on system info on mac osx. So I guess both devices are working.

Till yesterday akitio was working with external screen. One problem accured after I deleted nvidia drivers with drive sweeper and now egpu with akitio doesnt work also not on external screen. One point is that egpu with pe4l works fine but this time somehow wireless card in device manager doesnt work and no internet. Without thunderbolt, wireless card works again after reboot.

I installed windows again in efi but no change. I assume there is some kind of problem occured in mac after I used driwe sweeper.

It would be great if anyone has an idea about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention. I got the 16x pci riser with molex and tried it without an adaptor but no change.

Did you:

- power the riser (connected the molex to the ATX PSU)

- disconneted the AKiTiO PSU

- did the "trick" on the 20/24-pin PSU connector to get it started?

- connected all 6-pin and 8-pin connectors to the GPU

- powered the eGPU setup before anything else

- conncted TB cable

- last: started the PC/Laptop

AKiTiO USA are monitoring what we're doing: https://www.facebook.com/akitiousa/posts/910682828961731

Anybody know where to get the Thunder2 for less than $270? That's the latest price by B&H and Amazon.

We've see price go from US$199 (intro), US$225 to the now not so attractive US$270.

Since AKiTiO USA are monitoring this, why not give DIY eGPU users the original US$199 deal? If not, then there are other products near your pricepoint:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6621-us%24199-firmtek-thundertek-px-10gbps-tb1.html#post90249

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7633-us%24314-sonnet-echo-express-sel-16gbps-tb2.html#post104840

• Thumbs Up 4

AKiTiO USA are monitoring what we're doing: https://www.facebook.com/akitiousa/posts/910682828961731

Anybody know where to get the Thunder2 for less than $270? That's the latest price by B&H and Amazon.

We've see price go from US$199 (intro), US$225 to the now not so attractive US$270.

Since AKiTiO USA are monitoring this, why not give DIY eGPU users the original US$199 deal? If not, then there are other products near your pricepoint:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6621-us%24199-firmtek-thundertek-px-10gbps-tb1.html#post90249

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7633-us%24314-sonnet-echo-express-sel-16gbps-tb2.html#post104840

I completely agree , that price point takes us back where we once started, very disappointing :(

The eGPU 2.0 members should even get a lower price (at least the old $199) since we are contributing to the development of the product.

• Thumbs Up 3

Do you guys think something like massdrop.com could be a good way to get them sell enclosure at reduced price? Or there won't be enough interest? It works for Ergodox for example.

If anybody makes any inroads in getting a discount for eGPU users then please post.

Admittedly, their US$270 pricepoint still makes it a bargain standout when you consider it has a better feature set than it's nearest price competitors. Those being the US$199 Firmtek (TB1) and US$314 Sonnet SEL (TB2). The US$199 intro price was fantastic.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24270-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html#post98210

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7633-us%24314-sonnet-echo-express-sel-16gbps-tb2.html#post90594

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7872-us%24979-sonnet-echo-express-iii-d-enclosure-16gbps-tb2.html#post107170

Maybe they have some goodwill towards the eGPU community and can offer a discounted price for us? A way to propel their sales and increase brand recognition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Inertia to get an excellent US$200 AKiTiO Thunder2 deal for DIY eGPU users

Mihail Nosov has already tried at AKiTiO USA's Facebook page: [url]http://www.facebook.com/akitiousa/posts/910682828961731[/url], snippet captured below:

Anybody else want to put some inertia behind a US$200 Thunder2 box for DIY eGPU users by liking his comment OR making similar comments?

AKiTiO is welcome to come here and offer a special coupon or procedure to secure such a deal. Such a deal would:

- decrease the TB2 eGPU enclosure cost hurdle for the next wave of visionaries in bringing their CUDA/OpenGL/gaming creations to life

- get brand recognition for providing excellent value Thunderbolt2 enclosures perfect for eGPU use/experimentation

A good partnership for both of us in the long run :)
  • Thumbs Up 6

Thanks guys for all your help by trying optimus for me and for valuable suggestions.

I made a clean install of windows and tried akitio further for optimus.

the results are good now I have optimus. I needed a different sequence to make it work by comparing it with pe4l v.2.1

So what I did is,

Pulled out the cable (yellow black) connecting akitio thunderbolt board and akito 16x board. (thunderbolt cable plugged in)

Started mac with alt and waited in boot options.

Started akitio with powered riser. (no akitio adapter)

When waiting in boot options I plugged the cable (yellow black cable on the akitio board) and boot in windows. And it worked finally.

So in my case it worked only with that method.

Can it be besause of the graphichs card I am using? It is gigabyte gtx660.