NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Well I made the jump and flashed both my 880's. I can tell you that I did get around 1000 jump on 3dmark11 but I have no head room to oc my cpu/gpu. As soon as I try and make the slightest bump my system freezes on the first 10 sec of benchmarking. My twins are running about 5c hotter right off the bat as well.

So I have pushed the computer to the power max with my 4910mq @ 4.1Ghz and 880m's with mod bios. But now I know that its as good as it gets and thanks for the vbios, I will donate as soon as I can:)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx,Alienware 01W2J2

P13763 36th place

Any reason why 3dmark does not recognize my cpu? And there is no adapter mod for me is there? Thanks

Well I made the jump and flashed both my 880's. I can tell you that I did get around 1000 jump on 3dmark11 but I have no head room to oc my cpu/gpu. As soon as I try and make the slightest bump my system freezes on the first 10 sec of benchmarking. My twins are running about 5c hotter right off the bat as well.

So I have pushed the computer to the power max with my 4910mq @ 4.1Ghz and 880m's with mod bios. But now I know that its as good as it gets and thanks for the vbios, I will donate as soon as I can:)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx,Alienware 01W2J2

P13763 36th place

Any reason why 3dmark does not recognize my cpu? And there is no adapter mod for me is there? Thanks

If you have used up all the power available to you system about the only way to get it to go faster is to undervolt/underclock your CPU to free up some power. Then you can bump your GPU voltage a bit at a time until it stabilizes. Start with 25mv and go up from there. I would probably stop at 1.100v to keep the heat down.

3DMark hasn't updated their software for the Haswell refresh so it isn't seeing your 4910QM. It doesn't see my 4810QM either.

Your GPUs are running hotter because they aren't throttling. This is what you should expect to see.

Alienware M18X R1

I7 2960 4.496 Ghz

1.5TB Raid 0

16GB Ram

GTX880M

Stock vBIOS: working Perfect , 3DMARK tests etc but...(settings locked)

Nvidia GTX 880m - 'OC edition' rev00.rom , Bugfield 4 wont work , 3DMARK crash in the middle of the tests Cloud Gate (At fisics) Fire Strike (not even start) but... (All settings unlocked)

PLEASE fix that , i have a message when instaling the bios , and press ''y'' at all times (it`s an diferent version of software or something like that),becouse i know of this unlocked vBIOS have improvements on games , tested with Stalker Lost Alpha , gain 7-15 FPS :D, but at the rest wont work , and at all games screen during games the screen flashes, as if something was not right, unstable ... the video driver does not know for sure, the driver used is the beta NVidia 337.88.... waiting some tip... =/

Alienware M18X R1

I7 2960 4.496 Ghz

1.5TB Raid 0

16GB Ram

GTX880M

Stock vBIOS: working Perfect , 3DMARK tests etc but...(settings locked)

Nvidia GTX 880m - 'OC edition' rev00.rom , Bugfield 4 wont work , 3DMARK crash in the middle of the tests Cloud Gate (At fisics) Fire Strike (not even start) but... (All settings unlocked)

PLEASE fix that , i have a message when instaling the bios , and press ''y'' at all times (it`s an diferent version of software or something like that),becouse i know of this unlocked vBIOS have improvements on games , tested with Stalker Lost Alpha , gain 7-15 FPS :D, but at the rest wont work , and at all games screen during games the screen flashes, as if something was not right, unstable ... the video driver does not know for sure, the driver used is the beta NVidia 337.88.... waiting some tip... =/

Try it without your overclock on the processor. You might be hitting too high power draw. Its just a guess but it doesn't hurt to try it. Generally speaking, when you are testing out overclocking a GPU, you should lower your CPU overclock or remove it entirely, tweak the GPU, then tweak the processor back up until you find the perfect stable point between the two overclocks. If that doesn't work, hopefully slv7 or johnksss or someone can help you figure it out.

ok, i will try, thanks

Without oc on cpu , same thing.

PS : single GTX880M

That's odd, Firestrike works fine here, I haven't tried with SLI off though. (although I did try watch dogs on single GPU)

Have you tried reflashing the stock VBIOS and going into benchmarks again ?

It could also be that your GPU needs a repaste, what temps do you get under load?

Does that have to be? Is there a way to let it downclock when not used?

It still downclocks perfectly fine when idling. See this post for example.

the rest wont work , and at all games screen during games the screen flashes, as if something was not right, unstable ... the video driver does not know for sure, the

Clocks? Settings? Temps?

Is there no way at all to increase the power to the AW18? If Dell locked it down some knowledgeable person should be able to unlock it.

If you wanna solder then there might be a way.

M18X R1 I72960XM OC 4496X4 60-74Cº (idle-stress)

45x4

Vid 8

priplane 1120

Single GTX880M Stock clock/settings 30-62Cº(idle-stress)

Error trying run 3DMARK FIRE STRIKE (not even start)

Unexpected error running tests.

Workload Single init returned error message: File: device_resources.cpp

Line: 313

Function: class eva::com_ptr<struct id3d11buffer=""> __cdecl eva::d3d11::device_resources::create_buffer(const struct D3D11_BUFFER_DESC &,const struct D3D11_SUBRESOURCE_DATA *) const

Expression: hr: DX11 call failed [-2005270523].

Hardware device removed.

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: ID3D11Device::CreateBuffer:

Error trying run 3DMARK Cloud Gate:

Unexpected error running tests.

Workload Single init returned error message: File: device_resources.cpp

Line: 313

Function: class eva::com_ptr<struct id3d11buffer=""> __cdecl eva::d3d11::device_resources::create_buffer(const struct D3D11_BUFFER_DESC &,const struct D3D11_SUBRESOURCE_DATA *) const

Expression: hr: DX11 call failed [-2005270523].

Hardware device removed.

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: ID3D11Device::CreateBuffer:

</struct>

<struct id3d11buffer="">Before I forget it's time to install the VBIOS, of a message that the BIOS version is incompatible / different from the current version and asks if I agree, I was just agreeing with Y, is a number that is different if I'm not mistaken he says my device is 048F and the new 5AA is something like not exactly remember, and my GPU always appears with the unknown in 3DMark tests, this already before installing your BIOS, I did the procedure to install the video drivers were:

- 337.88-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdm.inf (notepad) CTRL+H -> Find What: 05AB Replace With: 048F -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- 337.88-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql folder\ run setup.exe.

Win8 disable driver signing, then install drivers.

Command Prompt (Admin) Win key + X

Code:

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes

> "The operation completed successfully" -> reboot -> Install drivers.

Exit test mode

Code:

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning no

->reboot.

</struct></struct>

The ssid mismatch doesn't matter, as explained in the flashing tutorial.

If your benchmark won't even start then it looks like a software issue. In your other post you said it crashes during the physics test... well, that's not gpu related either. What kind of PSU do you use?

Excuse my ignorance, but you referred to the charger? if yes, is 330W

yes sometimes he spends the first two parts of the CLOUD GATE test and when going to the part of the test that it is the physical error in 3DMark, I have no idea what's wrong, but because it is in the Bios with the original works perfect, he the one swung in fps during the test, the few gains fps out of nowhere after a small thing locked milliseconds, of a locked micro so to speak, and soon afterwards the fps go up, for example in the FIRE STRIKE in part that with the Normal BIOS gets 29 fps with your are the one little lock 34 and 39 and go back to something around 30, could understand? I clear?

Overclocking is not able on the 880M from dell actually sometimes it works on 3dmark 11 i can get around 10k score with but it crashes on other benchmarks i tried to up the core +100 with +25mv didnt work but +50mv worked after like 2-3 runs it crashed...ive got a 240W psu and my cpu is 4910mq i run at 4GHZ on all 4 Cores i dont know if i am power limited =/.

What about the option Power target from 100% to 160% do i need that? i turn it up to 160% but still crash. I can up the memory to +500 tho. Temps are 80-85 while benchmark

Overclocking is not able on the 880M from dell actually sometimes it works on 3dmark 11 i can get around 10k score with but it crashes on other benchmarks i tried to up the core +100 with +25mv didnt work but +50mv worked after like 2-3 runs it crashed...ive got a 240W psu and my cpu is 4910mq i run at 4GHZ on all 4 Cores i dont know if i am power limited =/.

What about the option Power target from 100% to 160% do i need that? i turn it up to 160% but still crash. I can up the memory to +500 tho. Temps are 80-85 while benchmark

Try without the CPU OC, if that's stable then it's very likely to be a power limitation and I would advise you to get a 330W PSU.

Try without the CPU OC, if that's stable then it's very likely to be a power limitation and I would advise you to get a 330W PSU.

how would i be able to run it without OC? i mean the normal dell overclock is 4,1 Ghz on 1 core but the voltage is like 1,240.. which is 2 high i put on xtu 1,155v static and run 4x 4Ghz all day long stable... so i got even lower voltage i really dont know :x

i just google a bit and saw that if it was my psu not being able it would shutdown...which is not the case...

how would i be able to run it without OC? i mean the normal dell overclock is 4,1 Ghz on 1 core but the voltage is like 1,240.. which is 2 high i put on xtu 1,155v static and run 4x 4Ghz all day long stable... so i got even lower voltage i really dont know :x

i just google a bit and saw that if it was my psu not being able it would shutdown...which is not the case...

It doesn't look like a power issue then, since you are even lower than 1.200V on the cpu cores.

- - - Updated - - -

yes sometimes he spends the first two parts of the CLOUD GATE test and when going to the part of the test that it is the physical error in 3DMark, I have no idea what's wrong, but because it is in the Bios with the original works perfect, he the one swung in fps during the test, the few gains fps out of nowhere after a small thing locked milliseconds, of a locked micro so to speak, and soon afterwards the fps go up, for example in the FIRE STRIKE in part that with the Normal BIOS gets 29 fps with your are the one little lock 34 and 39 and go back to something around 30, could understand? I clear?

What's your MXM Vendor ? (it should be listed in GPU-Z)

What exactly would have to be soldered to make the AW18 be able to go beyond the 330W PSU?

At least some tiny resistors.

No idea how much the board can actually handle though... :)

Define "crash". You got an AW17? The mobo of that machine doesn't seem to have a lot of headroom. Looks as if you hit a wall.

No, I'm afraid I can't really follow. The vbios itself is fine, it has been tested on different system. Ever tried running with stock cpu speeds? I have no idea how the R1 mobo behaves.

Guess we need someone that knows power and the schematics of the board to figure it out. The board itself should be able to handle more power just like the older 18s did. There has to be a physical limiter there somewhere that is keeping it from taking more. If someone figure out what we could add more power. Seems like a lot of the power issues was bad design and cutting corners thinking it will only need what they always needed.

The board itself should be able to handle more power just like the older 18s did.

That's not for sure, I have no idea how thick the copper layers in the board actually are. Also it's kinda impossible for me to tell you what is required to do when I don't have a mobo to look at.

• Brian featured this topic