NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hmmm I think I will give the MSI vbios another try... just because I'm desperate and svl7 has not updated the Clevo rom yet that is :)

Speaking of which, @svl7 do you know when/if you are releasing your next vbios?

I tried the 915/2250 MSI vbios again, and the official +200 Core one from your OP. Both had the issue that after a the first launch of a game the core AND memory stays at 324 :( reverted to your unlocked Clevo OC New one...

@doctr_nick : try 1005/2400

Works like a charm but I'm still fighting with temps. 93C is the highest it's gone though.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried the 915/2250 MSI vbios again, and the official +200 Core one from your OP. Both had the issue that after a the first launch of a game the core AND memory stays at 324 :( reverted to your unlocked Clevo OC New one...

Thats too bad that the clocks don't work correctly for you. What driver version are you using?

Hi everyone! New here but wanted to chime in with some feedback and questions.

Just picked up a M18xR2 with A05 BIOS and GTX680M SLI. Tried using afterburner to change core clocks but couldn't - only memory clocks worked. Went and downloaded this guy which gave me a modest boost to 819, but still couldn't get afterburner to change core clocks.

I've read that the M18x bios is preventing software OC, so I flashed from A05 to A07 - afterburner still won't work. Flashing A08 failed - loss of sound hardware after reboot.

What I'd like to do is go past 819 on core with a simple tool like afterburner. Is there a particular vbios I should be using, or has Dell crippled things with a lousy system bios? Any/all help appreciated!

BTW: I'm more than happy to test a vbios from svl7 on my system and post results!

post-6674-14494993815937_thumb.gif

Just picked up a M18xR2 with A05 BIOS and GTX680M SLI. Tried using afterburner to change core clocks but couldn't - only memory clocks worked. Went and downloaded this guy which gave me a modest boost to 819, but still couldn't get afterburner to change core clocks.

I've read that the M18x bios is preventing software OC, so I flashed from A05 to A07 - afterburner still won't work. Flashing A08 failed - loss of sound hardware after reboot.

What I'd like to do is go past 819 on core with a simple tool like afterburner. Is there a particular vbios I should be using, or has Dell crippled things with a lousy system bios? Any/all help appreciated!

BTW: I'm more than happy to test a vbios from svl7 on my system and post results!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5211[/ATTACH]

Flashing to the new bios means if you wanted an unlocked bios with a lot of overclock options more than standard it may be hard if not impossible to flash to one once on A08 and A07, im sorry. The vbios is the only thing that controls the 680m. Some one here may be able to direct you right to the thread for dell 680m overclock vbios.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5211[/ATTACH]

I would recommend trying the vbios named "Dell 680m - 850 base - 889 boost - OV - OC" on the first page. That one seems to work well for me. I've been able to run the core at 1000 and the memory at 1200 with it. Afterburner does not show the core frequency increase, but it shows the memory. If using Afterburner does not change the clocks (you will only know if it's working by running benchmarks and comparing the before and after) then possibly also try nVidiaInspector to see if that works for you?

thanks for svl7 to provide the vbios mod for 660m on dell laptop.

as some guys has mention on post #327, I also have a y580 laptop and svl7 asking for the bios of the laptop.

here is the link for download the bios:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions.html

any chance you can take a look at it?

I cannot believe who I see here; all my fellows from the 'other' forum are roaming about here too... Maybe I should stick around a bit longer. Lots of interesting stuff going on!

Well of course lol this is Tech Inferno... Theres nothing but interesting people and interesting things going on here. Good to see you here Juliant. Make yourself at home bro.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Luscious, welcome! I need to clean up this thread a bit, there's a 'newOCedition' of the Dell version somewhere attached to one of the posts, it will allow you to overclock the core. I guess I can slightly improve it, will post a newer version when I find time. Still haven't solved the throttling of the Dell card at higher clocks though... only bricked my card twice while experimenting a bit.

thanks for svl7 to provide the vbios mod for 660m on dell laptop.

as some guys has mention on post #327, I also have a y580 laptop and svl7 asking for the bios of the laptop.

here is the link for download the bios:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions.html

any chance you can take a look at it?

I actually already have the link... after all I modified it :D Will take a look at it.

Maybe I should stick around a bit longer. Lots of interesting stuff going on!

Yeah you should, and yes, there is... :P

@mw86 - Yeah, I'm not too worried about the unlocked system BIOS ATM. A08 seems to be working fine, and I've been able to get a good 4.2 OC that's 24/7 stable. I'm not looking to break records, just a fast rig that can handle things like F@H SMP.

@Keith1341 - I'd like to take that one for a test drive, but I'm still below the 5 post limit :-( 850 seems very doable on core, but the fastest I've been able to get memory has been 1200 - anything higher and I start getting artifacts in 3DMark11.

@svl7 - Thanks! Would definitely be happy to look at a newer vBIOS. I've yet to see my GPU throttle at 819 or at it's stock speed. Does the OC vBIOS unlock the core for use with afterburner or have you set it to a fixed speed?

I've also noticed issues with the sound hardware dropping out whenever I switch between Intel/nVidia GPU. From what I can tell it's a power problem shutting the card down during reboot/hibernate but not powering it back up on restart. The only way I've been able to power the sound hardware back up is by doing a sleep/wake-up cycle. Wondering if any M18xR2 guys out there have this same thing happening?

Just thought I would post my experience.

I put a Dell 680m in an M17x R3 today, getting the drivers to work was....interesting. Got it all working, at stock 5800 graphics score. Flashed to Dell 680m - 850 base - 889 boost.zip using the tutorial, worked fine. Re-ran the benchmark and got 6800 graphics score. I did not get any throttling in 3DMark11, it ran fine and stayed at 850.

Can a 680m go much higher than 850 at stock voltage?

• Founder
Just thought I would post my experience.

I put a Dell 680m in an M17x R3 today, getting the drivers to work was....interesting. Got it all working, at stock 5800 graphics score. Flashed to Dell 680m - 850 base - 889 boost.zip using the tutorial, worked fine. Re-ran the benchmark and got 6800 graphics score. I did not get any throttling in 3DMark11, it ran fine and stayed at 850.

Can a 680m go much higher than 850 at stock voltage?

Depends on your sample, no two GPUs are the same. But you might be able to hit 900 at stock.

@mw86 - Yeah, I'm not too worried about the unlocked system BIOS ATM. A08 seems to be working fine, and I've been able to get a good 4.2 OC that's 24/7 stable. I'm not looking to break records, just a fast rig that can handle things like F@H SMP.

@Keith1341 - I'd like to take that one for a test drive, but I'm still below the 5 post limit :-( 850 seems very doable on core, but the fastest I've been able to get memory has been 1200 - anything higher and I start getting artifacts in 3DMark11.

@svl7 - Thanks! Would definitely be happy to look at a newer vBIOS. I've yet to see my GPU throttle at 819 or at it's stock speed. Does the OC vBIOS unlock the core for use with afterburner or have you set it to a fixed speed?

I've also noticed issues with the sound hardware dropping out whenever I switch between Intel/nVidia GPU. From what I can tell it's a power problem shutting the card down during reboot/hibernate but not powering it back up on restart. The only way I've been able to power the sound hardware back up is by doing a sleep/wake-up cycle. Wondering if any M18xR2 guys out there have this same thing happening?

Hi Luscious, are you using the 3940xm cpu?

svl7, if you have the time and it isn't too much trouble I would like a Dell 680m vBios with 900 base clock and no additional changes. With the R3 I have not found a way to OC with software so I have to get a vbios to OC. I am currently using your 850 base with no other changes bios and it works fine. Some people said 900 is probably stable at stock voltage so I would like to give it a shot.

svl7, if you have the time and it isn't too much trouble I would like a Dell 680m vBios with 900 base clock and no additional changes. With the R3 I have not found a way to OC with software so I have to get a vbios to OC. I am currently using your 850 base with no other changes bios and it works fine. Some people said 900 is probably stable at stock voltage so I would like to give it a shot.

I realize you wanted only that one change, but the 900default_OV file in this post works quite well. If you have not tried it, you may want to give it a shot while waiting for another mod.

• Brian featured this topic