9 hours ago, 82280zx said:

Concerning the throttles, we've been doing some digging and I want to drop this here, we've looking for the cause and this seems to resolve it, Kudos go to Infinaris over at Notebookreview for finding this :) and of course Swick :D we couldn't of got this far without ya!

The throttle for whatever reason only seems to be occuring from a cold boot.

I just turned my laptop on again and checked and it was throttling.

Restarted the computer accessed the bios switched to igfx and rebooted and accessed the bios again immediately and reset to peg....

No throttling on reboot.

From where I'm sitting it looks like toggling the gfx fixes the issue at least until you switch the machine off and then it throttles again so it looks like whatever causes the throttling is a bad setting somewhere. Might be worth seeing if someone were to shut their machine down and switch to igfx before switching off their machine.

Could be possible that the toggle sets the system up to work properly but its a bug from cold boot. Regardless I've rebooted the machine several times and everytime I toggle the gfx to igfx and back to peg it gets rid of the throttling for that session. If I restart the machine there doesnt seem to be any throttling either it seems to be an issue with a cold boot off of peg at least so far as from what i can see.

The question here tho is why does it throttle if booted directly on peg on cold boot but a simple gfx toggle seems to fix the issue?

That is a really good find, bro. Maybe we can get a couple of others to test and see if the same thing fixes the problem for all M18xR2 owners.

Hey

I have a Alien ware 18 Laptop Tho, I'm unsure if its a M18XR2 or  M18XR3

Specs are

I7 4800 2.7ghz Cpu

2 Gtx 770m Gpus

16gb Ram
Model  of Motherboard is 01W2J2
Version of motherboard is A02

Bios Version is A10

Model number is p19e

I'm after  a bios so I can have a better cooling/fan  settings

Will this bios work with my machine

Cheers

Just now, Bob83 said:

Hey

I have a Alien ware 18 Laptop Tho, I'm unsure if its a M18XR2 or  M18XR3

Specs are

I7 4800 2.7ghz Cpu

2 Gtx 770m Gpus

16gb Ram
Model  of Motherboard is 01W2J2
Version of motherboard is A02

Bios Version is A10

Model number is p19e

I'm after  a bios so I can have a better cooling/fan  settings

Will this bios work with my machine

Cheers

Hi. You have an Alienware 18 (Haswell CPU) and this BIOS mod will not work. The stock A12 BIOS available from Dell Support web page is your best option.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Hi. You have an Alienware 18 (Haswell CPU) and this BIOS mod will not work. The stock A12 BIOS available from Dell Support web page is your best option.

Hey thanks for the reply

damn .....

my fans don't seem to be active enough

My cpu spikes 80+ degrees full load

My Gtx 770m run at about 80 Degrees full load

Is that normal

Will you guys be making a bios mod for my model?

Cheers

10 hours ago, Bob83 said:

Hey thanks for the reply

damn .....

my fans don't seem to be active enough

My cpu spikes 80+ degrees full load

My Gtx 770m run at about 80 Degrees full load

Is that normal

Will you guys be making a bios mod for my model?

Cheers

Alienware 18 stock fan tables are gimped really bad. I guess the BIOS engineers were imbeciles that care more about the machine being quiet than working correctly.

If you are not using the Alienware 18 BIOS A12, you need to be. Then, once you are on A12, use HWiNFO64 for manual fan controls. Review this image album, along with any captions for each image. http://imgur.com/a/UYC3s#0

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Alienware 18 stock fan tables are gimped really bad. I guess the BIOS engineers were imbeciles that care more about the machine being quiet than working correctly.

If you are not using the Alienware 18 BIOS A12, you need to be. Then, once you are on A12, use HWiNFO64 for manual fan controls. Review this image album, along with any captions for each image. http://imgur.com/a/UYC3s#0

Will this work on the R2 as well? And if it does will it work on A11? Mines working pretty good, but it looks like your hwinfo64 is configured differently than mine.

Edited by 82280zx

19 hours ago, 82280zx said:

Will this work on the R2 as well? And if it does will it work on A11? Mines working pretty good, but it looks like your hwinfo64 is configured differently than mine.

Yes, it will work on the M18xR2 just fine. The only difference is you cannot control each GPU fan independently like the 18, but that is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The important thing to remember on both machines is to disable EC support because that being enabled can cause more issues than any benefit of having it enabled. EC support enabled gives more granular control over fan speeds, but it introduces some instabilities and causes high DPC latency and audio artifacts.

Edited by Guest

Hello,
I'm new :)
I'm trying to overclock acer one AOA150 with SetFSB but ICS9LPRS365BGLF.
Everything look ok, but when I try I click "Set FSB" always come back to default settings.
Your software can help me?

Thanks
( Sorry for my English translated )

Hey Everyone,

I'm so sorry for being away for so long.  I got sick, was out of the country, and couldn't get back in.  Had to wait for infection to go away.  Then came back, and picked up Pneumonia, laryngitis, fever, etc...  LOTS of fun, eh?  Guess I won the bad luck lottery, heh!

Anyway, I'm back now, FINALLY!

I apologize for being away and will reply to everyone ASAP!

Thanks,

Swick

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
7 hours ago, Swick1981 said:

Hey Everyone,

I'm so sorry for being away for so long.  I got sick, was out of the country, and couldn't get back in.  Had to wait for infection to go away.  Then came back, and picked up Pneumonia, laryngitis, fever, etc...  LOTS of fun, eh?  Guess I won the bad luck lottery, heh!

Anyway, I'm back now, FINALLY!

I apologize for being away and will reply to everyone ASAP!

Thanks,

Swick

You know how the saying goes, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ;) Anyway good to hear you're better, welcome back!

Hey Again,

I am so sorry about not being around.  I thought I was better, and I was...  kinda.  But then the pneumonia got me, big time.  Anyway, I'm back now, finally.  For sure this time.  

@Brian for the kind words and EVERYONE else!, too!  Also, looks like the pneumonia didn't kill me, either...  So, sounds like I'll be here a little while longer.  Sucks for all of you!  lol

• Thumbs Up 1

@Brian

Hey Brian, got a question for you...  I have a bios mod for the m18xR1.  It has ALL the modules updated that can be and some tweaks to other modules, too...  HOWEVER, there have been some people (testers) that have reported NO problems with the mod, and other that report the RAID array has an issue with the updated intel RST Raid to 12.9.0.2006.  As such, I have 2 different version of the mod I put out.  But, can I put the mod for the R1 that MAY have an issue with RAID modules on the downloads site, and warn ppl that it works for some but not others and there is NO reason as to why...

Let me know what you think...

• Founder
2 hours ago, Swick1981 said:

@Brian

Hey Brian, got a question for you...  I have a bios mod for the m18xR1.  It has ALL the modules updated that can be and some tweaks to other modules, too...  HOWEVER, there have been some people (testers) that have reported NO problems with the mod, and other that report the RAID array has an issue with the updated intel RST Raid to 12.9.0.2006.  As such, I have 2 different version of the mod I put out.  But, can I put the mod for the R1 that MAY have an issue with RAID modules on the downloads site, and warn ppl that it works for some but not others and there is NO reason as to why...

Let me know what you think...

As long as the warning is pretty clear and at the beginning of the description then sure. 

@Brian

Okay, thanks...  

I figure you know me well enough that I do NOT want to break any ToS, or create any problems, heh! :)

Thanks for the quick response!  Appreciate it.  In that case, I have a MOD with MULTIPLE version of intel RST for the m18xR1.  I'll add the mod to the downloads.  It updates ALL modules to the latest that they support, etc...  and a fe other tweaks, too!

Thanks again for the quick response!  Excited to add more mods to your downloads!  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Swick1981, Just found a weird glitch that might interest you.

So I bought @Rengsey R. H- Jr.'s 3940xm to replace my 2960xm that was graceously sold to me by DumbDumb. Anyways I installed the 3940xm after I had already installed the bios on the system with the 2960xm, when I was going thru the setup I found that it for some odd reason recognizes the cpu as the 3940xm but it treats it like the 2960xm, limits the max non turbo to 27 instead of 32. Only reason I started searching was it kept getting watch dog timeouts among other errors, along with weird response times with the cpu, which means bad core, and I popped the 2960xm back in and it was fine, so plugged it back in with the 3940xm and again crash and burn even after a full system wipe, after testing and testing, I had an epiphany, I had only installed the bios with the 2960xm, So I ended up blind flashing back to A03, then flashing your bios back on and it resolved all the issues I was having with the 3940xm, No more watch dog timeout, no random errors other than when I overclocked it and forgot to set the vid a little higher. Rengsey can confirm that from the second I got his cpu I was skeptical of the situation and trying to find out what it was. In the end all it took was noticing one odd thing out of place to show where the problem was. I'm pretty sure this is something that can be reproduced by flashing back to the normal unlocked bios and then putting the 2960xm in and then flashing your bios on and then swapping the 3940xm on.

Anyways I'm hitting the hay, if you need anything let me know on here or NBR, same username. 

Edited by Codenamefa

Hello everyone!

I need some help with installation of a graphic card in my Alienware (M18 xR2) laptop.

Before the one mentioned I had another graphic cards,  Radeon HD7970m Crossfire.

One of the cards stopped working and I bought a GTX970m and now, IO have a problem installing a graphic driver.

During the installation the screen turns black.

After putting the computer in sleep mode and while awekening it, in manager device there's a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark.

My Bios is A11 from DELLS's official website. I downloaded the graphic drive from a site called Eurocom.

I wanted to download a modded bios from this very website but I can't because it says that I have no permission.

I need help with going through this problem.

1 hour ago, BigBr0ski said:

Installation of this bios went flawless, installation of windows was flawless.  However, installing any nvidia driver fails, moddified or not, disabling driver signature has no effect.

Any ideas?

What GPUs? If you are trying to install drivers newer than 362.00 stop and try 362.00 or older drivers. If you have upgraded with aftermarket video cards, you have already modded the INF correctly? Drivers will not install if you have upgraded to video cards that were never offered as an option by Dell except with an INF mod.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

What GPUs? If you are trying to install drivers newer than 362.00 stop and try 362.00 or older drivers. If you have upgraded with aftermarket video cards, you have already modded the INF correctly? Drivers will not install if you have upgraded to video cards that were never offered as an option by Dell except with an INF mod.

980m installed in m18xr2.  The card worked pre-modded A11 bios ( all though with severe power throttling ), I was also able to install the drivers without a problem.  Which leads me to believe I am copying the modded INFs correctly, is there something I'm missing within the bios that would not allow me to install the drivers now?

Edit:  I should add, before I flashed the modified A11 bios, I had 361.43 installed and windows 8.1 pro.  I have made no hardware changes before installing the new bios, I was unsuccessful in installing any driver versions with this bios under win7 or win8.1, I spent the time to try both :(

Edited by BigBr0ski
additional information added

What drivers? If you have the wrong vBIOS you will have many problems installing newer drivers. Did you already try installing 362.00 or a driver older than 362.00 yet?

yeah, I've tried the 361.43 and even the 355 series drivers, without success.  It's odd because I have flashed the vbios with premamod before installing the new a11 bios and it worked fine, could this be causing the issue?  

I have also tried the "have-disk" method, I get the error, "Nvidia Geforce GTX 980M, the system cannot find the file specified"

21 hours ago, BigBr0ski said:

yeah, I've tried the 361.43 and even the 355 series drivers, without success.  It's odd because I have flashed the vbios with premamod before installing the new a11 bios and it worked fine, could this be causing the issue?  

I have also tried the "have-disk" method, I get the error, "Nvidia Geforce GTX 980M, the system cannot find the file specified"

Are you using the v2 @Prema vBIOS for 980M (the latest) or an older one? He released v2 because of a plethora of issues people were having installing and running newer drivers with the older vBIOS. NVIDIA has been, and continues to be, up to no good with their performance manipulation bull crap. You could have another issue, but I would rule this out first. I know another M18xR2 owner @kkthebeast is having some similar issues right now. Whether they are the same or only similar I do not know.

This is the latest Prema generic vBIOS for 980M https://biosmods.wordpress.com/gtx9/ that works for all 980M MXM video cards... Clevo or Alienware, doesn't matter.

For the Alienware 18 (not M18xR2) there is a slight variation to accommodate some proprietary crap going on with the EC and fan tables. Do not use the "Alienware 18" vBIOS on your M18xR2.

According to NVIDIA driver release notes, using the 'have disk" approach to installing their GeForce drivers has not worked for a while now. The fact that using that method did not work for you may be normal.

• Klem changed the title to [Bios Mod] M18xR2 - Legacy Support now Available