EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
gerald

Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

Hello, can anyone give working schematics and pcb layout? All links dead.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great news, my version 3 is working stable :) Now I want to do same case for it.
I finished yesterday in the night so I only tested Apex legends for 1 hour. See screenshot. (80-90 FPS stable) Ultra settings (2560x1080). 
GPU: RX 580 8GB NITRO+

apex_RX580.png

Edited by Zakyn
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 3/13/2019 at 4:00 AM, gpu7990 said:

Hello, can anyone give working schematics and pcb layout? All links dead.

I second this

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/15/2019 at 11:26 AM, Zakyn said:

Great news, my version 3 is working stable :) Now I want to do same case for it.
I finished yesterday in the night so I only tested Apex legends for 1 hour. See screenshot. (80-90 FPS stable) Ultra settings (2560x1080). 
GPU: RX 580 8GB NITRO+

apex_RX580.png

Hello!
Good luck in the development. Looking forward to buy an adapter.

2 hours ago, manolis said:

here all credit to @geralt

Thanks. 

Parts are obsolete. :(

I saw the other user has its own version. I wish they share it.

13 hours ago, jamesrule1 said:

Thanks. 

Parts are obsolete. :(

I saw the other user has its own version. I wish they share it.

I use the same parts as  gerald. If you search deep there are still some shops where it is possible to buy it.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:49 AM, Swung Huang said:

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

0D45B4A8-41E5-4D23-9FA2-68ACE122FB7B.jpeg

47BAB08D-C0EE-4CCB-9013-3EA3325CD04A.jpeg

E65149F9-355D-4699-9BA2-82FA8BDF9B12.jpeg

Hi new member here, been following this forum for a bit, hopping not to sound rude, is there any news on this adapter?

I want to buy an adapter that will work with the Y500 (BIOS mod from High_Voltagenvidia-error43-fixer)

On 3/23/2019 at 12:46 PM, ChuchoAV said:

Hi new member here, been following this forum for a bit, hopping not to sound rude, is there any news on this adapter?

I too want to know, that doesnt needs the ultrabay socket part right? I can't find that one anywhere

BTW probably a dumb question but what is the bandwidth difference between M.2 and ultrabay? I heard that people using M.2 eGPU adapters see a loss of <10% compared to PCIe x16 which TBH is something I can live with

@Drozof You can only use M.2 for PCIe if the socket supports NVMe. This laptop supports M.2 SATA only, therefore your only option other than using the adapter would be plugging a PCIe x1 cable instead of the wireless card.

And speaking of the adapters, I would say that getting them made sounds quite realistic to me. The conditions are favourable.  We just need someone willing to invest their time and money to get this done.

Speaking of PCB design, I'm pretty sure @gerald, @Swung Huang or @Zakyn will be more than happy to share, should we get this going.

Let's say there's 50 people willing to buy an adapter for $100.

One can get 50pcs 4-layer 10x15cm impedance-rated PCBs from JLCPCB for just above $100 + shipping + import tax. Let shipping + tax be like $50.

The connector is currently $6.14/piece with free international shipping here (correct me if this is a wrong connector). Other components (PCIe slot, PSU connector, SMDs), let's say another $10 per adapter.

We're getting about $1000 in expenses + manual labor with a perspective of earning $5000.

Good question now is how many people would actually be ready to buy one right now, considering the Y510p is already a really old machine?

Edited by High_Voltage
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

And speaking of the adapters, I would say that getting them made sounds quite realistic to me. The conditions are favourable.  We just need someone willing to invest their time and money to get this done.

Speaking of PCB design, I'm pretty sure @gerald, @Swung Huang or @Zakyn will be more than happy to share, should we get this going.

Let's say there's 50 people willing to buy an adapter for $100.

One can get 50pcs 4-layer 10x15cm impedance-rated PCBs from JLCPCB for just above $100 + shipping + import tax. Let shipping + tax be like $50.

The connector is currently $6.14/piece with free international shipping here (correct me if this is a wrong connector). Other components (PCIe slot, PSU connector, SMDs), let's say another $10 per adapter.

We're getting about $1000 in expenses + manual labor with a perspective of earning $5000.

Good question now is how many people would actually be ready to buy one right now, considering the Y510p is already a really old machine?

i buy

38 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

Not many, but still a few of them. I saw them here and at eGPU forum (after i and intruder share result and Y500 and Y510p at top list).

People which want to buy this adapter should accept that:

1. This adapter is temporary solution of a problem. 4 Core CPUs of Y500 and Y510p will gone soon in history;

2. You still must buy PSU (probably good one to be able transfer it later in Desktop and don't buy new one, because you new system more power hungry then just one eGPU);

3. And your main problem - GPU. So far only GTX 10XX was tested, no data about RTX 20XX cards.

I may support development of new adapter, but i have no skills in soldering at all. I can't assemble it and properly test it, only compare results with original adapter on one machine - Lenovo Y500 with GTX 1080 Ti.

Also, i think design must be changed, since heavy cooling system of some cards don't allow it to stay vertically - need to add support.

Edited by rusTORK
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Bronius First of all, find where to buy an ultrabay connector, and buy one. Then, order a PCB from China (not very expensive). Get all the rest from Ebay or Aliexpress and solder everything together!

@rusTORK You've actually made a really good point here about 1600/2000-series cards. Has anyone tested any of them?

cann ypu show my what i need to buy? xreyux@gmail.com plz send fotos with parts.

1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

You've actually made a really good point here about 1600/2000-series cards. Has anyone tested any of them?

RTX2000series is confirmed to work. I have got a 2070 working on my machine. And I’m trying to get it work with internal display(using Looking glass or sth like framebuffer copying.

I’m gonna assign my y400 for campus dorm gaming machine lol.

I’m still not working on it tho. I’ll be back in two month.(NCEE is starting from 6/8 8:00 in CST/UTC+8)

Wish the god bless me!

Edited by Swung Huang

i have broken gpu from my lenovo, i think he have this conection, yes?

Also I have two versions of adapter. One is the board (the one similar to the Gerald one),and with an arcylic supporting to hold the GPU in place. You can also purchase the casing if you already have gerald’s board.

Another one is cable-case model. There’s an module plugged in the laptop and running a cable to the box where GPU is in. Then you can put your GPU aside and won’t have a GPU in the way!

Both version is planned to be shipped in the mid June.(If there’s nothing else preventing me to do this :(