Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

3 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

My friend tried it and succeasfully running an GTX970 on y510p.

Awesome! Glad to hear everything works as it should!

I noticed that there's no approach for y400 till now.

Yeah, unfortunately, this mod is not suitable for Y400/Y500 series.

4 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

Anything can I do to deal with the issue with y400?

There might be another bios mod to do on it. Alternatively, as I've already mentioned before, there might be a relatively easy hardware hack. Do you happen to have access to soldering iron, wires and Arduino nano (or clone) by any chance?

4 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

btw,I'm a student and may not have too much free time.

No problem, I'm a student too.

P.S. I seem to have much more stuff to do today than I initially expected. Deadlines'n'stuff... Therefore, please excuse me for delaying official release of the mod in the separate thread 'till tomorrow. By then you can install the pre-release version I linked in the previous message. As it seems to work just fine, the release version will probably be identical (might be supplied with a clearer readme guide and pictures, but no change to programs).

-High_Voltage

6 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Do you happen to have access to soldering iron, wires and Arduino nano (or clone) by any chance

Yeah,I HAVE! An arduino nano,a raspberrypi B+,and an MSP430(having SDA,SCL to read/write i2c,which have something identical with smbus)

But I don't know how to do this hack.How to write the fake Temp/fan values to SMBus? Any idea for that? Does the EC/BIOS containings indicates something? Or some other modification is also needed?

BTW,The RC verison runs perfectly on y410p/510p.Cheers!

Edited by Swung Huang

Also, is that same method to modificate the BIOS work on y400/500?I wonder how you've modded the bios.(I have the original one and modded one HEX compared but found nothing imo,maybe I needed some deassembly work.)

And with the mod,y410p/510p can plug anything in(including ethernet cards or anything pcie),and before mod,anything except nvidia cards will work(only these nvidia ones will trigger reboot).

But on y400,all of these will trigger a reboot.

Any idea is appreciated.Thx anyway!

Edited by Swung Huang

Yeah,I HAVE! An arduino nano,a raspberrypi B+,and an MSP430(

Oh, I wish i had more time right now... Being constantly distracted by this y510p BIOS modding, I'm now approaching so many deadlines at work... Yet, I'm pretty sure I could find a couple of hours in a week to figure out the hardware mod.

having SDA,SCL to read/write i2c,which have something identical with smbus

SMBus is basically the i2c protocol under different name and limited to low speeds, so you are absolutely correct.

How to write the fake Temp/fan values to SMBus? Any idea for that?

Easy! We first need to connect to original Ultrabay GPU's SMBus and understand what exact values get transmitted to Ultrabay address and what it responds back while it's running. Then we make the MCU program that responds with similar values. In my understanding, the communication between the Ultrabay and the EC should be ultra primitive.

Also, is that same method to modificate the BIOS work on y400/500?

Quite possibly! I haven't studied Y500 bios yet, and not sure if I want to right now... As you have correctly noticed, the Y500 platform is not selective to the type of device inserted into the ultrabay, whereas the Y510p would only enable safety reboot if Nvidia-branded device was detected. I still have no idea why this is implemented like that. Yet, I think it might be possible to analyze Y510p UEFI module that contains this check and see if any of Y500 modules contain similar pieces of code.

Also, is there any way I could contact you privately? Like, email or any of the instant messengers?

-High_Voltage

Oh, the ride never ends... I've just found the module responsible for reboot in Y500p bios. (it simply had the same name as the one in y510p BIOS!) The entire structure of the module and of the bios itself is incredibly similar.  Looks like these are just two slightly different versions of the same program. Guess there's going to be Y500 BIOS mod coming at some point too...

@Swung Huang If you can update your Y500 to the latest version of BIOS and dump the backup file using Universal Bios Backup Tool, and then send this to me somehow, I think I could provide you with the working file like next weekend or even earlier. Of course, you'll have to hardware-flash it (raspberry pi will be perfect to do that) (or maybe Svl7's toolkit will be able to flash it from DOS, more research has to be done).

Update: Looks like Svl7 has released a mod for Y500/Y400 too! I might be able to use his toolkit the same way I did with Y510 mod. The Y500 mod with convenient installer might be coming really soon!

Edited by High_Voltage

@High_Voltage My Telegram account have been PMed to you.

And now we are trying to figure out something like an eGPU enclosure. That's utilized the ultrabay pcie for GPU and sata utilized for external HDD.

I'd prefer the hareware hack(that's Plug-n-Play and don't need too much config for end-user), but if the software one works, that's also awesome.

What's more, having internal display functionality is perfect.

8 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Update: Looks like Svl7 has released a mod for Y500/Y400 too!

yes. I've currently using that.That one runs perfectly.

Edited by Swung Huang

Hi, everyone!

As promised, the separate topic on the Y510p/Y410p Nvidia mod has been created today:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/12014-lenovo-y410py510p-bios-mod-to-enable-nvidia-egpu-support/

Therefore, I would suggest to continue the mod-related discussion there. You can also ask questions, describe issues and submit feedback on whether the mod worked for you, whether the instructions were clear enough etc.

-High_Voltage.

• Thumbs Up 2

Right! Who's ready for the next portion of cool things?

This time it's the hardware mod I was talking about a while ago. In theory, it should work with all the Ultrabay models including Y500/Y400/Y410/Y510p WITHOUT THE NEED TO MOD YOUR BIOS! So far, it worked on my Y510p. Looking forward to future tests.

I know, "hardware mod" may sound scary, but please consider this option too! Actually, it is beautifully simple!

It's so simple that I'm not even sure whether it needs a separate topic!

Download link: https://mega.nz/#!3AB0iSoa!v24VPHjNL2NkvEdeY3ZTkrmRWhcD1du_-N-JZfgTf7M

-High_Voltage

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Right! Who's ready for the next portion of cool things?

This time it's the hardware mod I was talking about a while ago. In theory, it should work with all the Ultrabay models including Y500/Y400/Y410/Y510p WITHOUT THE NEED TO MOD YOUR BIOS! So far, it worked on my Y510p. Looking forward to future tests.

I know, "hardware mod" may sound scary, but please consider this option too! Actually, it is beautifully simple!

It's so simple that I'm not even sure whether it needs a separate topic!

Download link: https://mega.nz/#!3AB0iSoa!v24VPHjNL2NkvEdeY3ZTkrmRWhcD1du_-N-JZfgTf7M

-High_Voltage

Excellent! I'll modify the Y510p adapter configuration thread to incorporate information about your BIOS and hardware mods over the weekend.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/18/2018 at 6:31 PM, Luthercorp said:

Can someone send me the dimensions of the adapter? I want to see if I can 3d model a case for it so it's not just exposed PCB

I think the best way is to have both the GPU and the PSU inside a regular case, and just a cable connecting the GPU to the Notebook, but I think the notebook will also need the 24 pin ATX connector.

For those of you who don't care about your secondary graphics card anymore, you can dissasemble the card and use the case with padding / velcro strips to house the adapter fairly easily. You just need to make sure you bend some tabs out the way and line up the connection in the same way. Its similar to an earlier post I saw, just without the hard drive connection. I used chair tips (protection for chairs against floors) for spacing and that strong velcro strip stuff that has a a strong glue stick to it on either side for securing the adapter inside the 750m ultrabay graphics card housing.

Everything is much more secure this way as the housing still locks in the same way as the old GPU did. If I really cared I would run a PCI extention but my setup is pretty sturdy and is in a safe location where things won't get bumped.

20180213_171429.jpg

20180213_171442.jpg

20180213_173239 (1).jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, fleshyweeb said:

For those of you who don't care about your secondary graphics card anymore, you can dissasemble the card and use the case with padding / velcro strips to house the adapter fairly easily. You just need to make sure you bend some tabs out the way and line up the connection in the same way. Its similar to an earlier post I saw, just without the hard drive connection. I used chair tips (protection for chairs against floors) for spacing and that strong velcro strip stuff that has a a strong glue stick to it on either side for securing the adapter inside the 750m ultrabay graphics card housing.

Everything is much more secure this way as the housing still locks in the same way as the old GPU did. If I really cared I would run a PCI extention but my setup is pretty sturdy and is in a safe location where things won't get bumped.

This is a nice solution, but I would rather use the adapter inside a ATX/ITX case and just a "Extension" Cable connecting to the Notebook, but this would demand a new adapter.