• 4 weeks later...

I have an M18xR1 and I've tried A04 unlocked and A05 unlocked, did a fresh windows 8 install, and started installing drivers in the proper order. When I get to the Intel HD 3000 dell graphics driver install, I install it (restarting in between each driver install), reboot, then change bios settings from IGFX to auto, save settings, reboots, then gives can't read disk error, press control alt del. No matter how many times I reboot, it gives the same disk error.

I've replaced the HDD with brand new one and have done 7 clean windows 8 installs and every time I try to switch to discrete graphics or do into the unlocked bios, I get the same error. However, running the OEM bios never causes the error, but there's no way for me to switchfrok discrete to binary graphics on the OEM bios... whole reason I wanted the unlocked bios.

I first got my 18xR1 in march 2012 and I was able to switch to binary graphics using fn + f7, but it stopped working after a month or two... so I thought since the unlocked bios allows you to manually choose in the bios itself, that would be my best bet, but every time I even enter the unlocked bios on the fresh install, even if I don't change anything, I get a disk errror. This isn't a problem with my HDD obviously, but I'm at a loss at to what's causing this or how to fix it without going back to the OEM bios.

Man, you get around alot, LOL.

The BIOS settings might be corrupt. Using the option in BIOS to reset defaults sometimes does not work correctly. Clear the CMOS using the instructions below and see if it helps. Be sure you are using RAID and not AHCI for the SATA controller setting in the BIOS before installing Windows. If you used AHCI when you installed Windows, you will need to manually reset it to that after clearing the CMOS.

Clear CMOS:

• Remove system battery
  • Disconnect AC adapter
  • Remove bottom cover
  • Hold down power button for 30 seconds
  • Ground yourself to the motherboard by touching a screw on the chassis
  • Disconnect wire from coin cell battery
  • Touch screwdriver tip lightly against pins the wire connects to for 1 or 2 seconds
  • Reconnect coin cell battery wire
  • Connect AC adapter and power up
  • Press F2 to enter BIOS
  • Set date/time and any of your customized settings
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Load Windows
  • Install system battery

Note: your system may start beeping after clearing the CMOS. Don't panic. Hold down the power button to shut it off. Turn it on again, and it should restart and clear itself by resetting BIOS defaults. If your system was set up incorrectly with AHCI instead of RAID, you will need to manually set that to RAID in the BIOS for Windows to load.

Clear CMOS (Alternate Method):

• Remove system battery
  • Disconnect AC adapter
  • Hold down FN key and power button simultaneously
  • While they are still depressed, re-connect the AC adapter

(I have not tried the alternate method before. I only recently saw it posted and have not had a reason to yet. There is no harm in trying it first, before clearing the clearing the CMOS using the more involved method noted above.)

• 5 months later...
[revised by svl7, 01/22/12]

Here are some unlocked versions of the M18x BIOS, this means all the hidden BIOS menus are now available.

This allows you to further tweak and overclock your machine, but some settings are very advanced and not meant to be touched by the average user, so use it with care and common sense.

Unfortunately quite some of the links which were previously posted here are now invalid due to what happened with megaupload.

I will try to recollect all the files and get fresh links, so I can provide the complete collection.

Here's what's available for now:

[unlocked] M18x BIOS A03

[unlocked] M18x BIOS A04

both modified and provided by Ahmed from BIOS-Mods, a big thanks to his amazing work!

Consider buying him a drink for all the effort!

[unlocked] M18x BIOS A05

modified by @svl7

If you like it, please consider a donation to T|I.

After flashing, go to the BIOS menu and load the default settings to prevent possible issues.

As always with such mods, you are responsible for what you do to your system, use at your own risk.

I learned some new stuff... here's BIOS A05 unlocked ...but I haven't got a system to test it... anyone willing to do so?

It's the first time I've done this, but I think it will work ;) In the worst case there's still the well-known recovery method.

If anyone is going to test it, let me know and report back!

EDIT: Tested and confirmed to work, so go ahead and flash :D Thanks @mw86 for testing!!

great work guys it was v helpful to me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[revised by svl7, 01/22/12]

Here are some unlocked versions of the M18x BIOS, this means all the hidden BIOS menus are now available.

This allows you to further tweak and overclock your machine, but some settings are very advanced and not meant to be touched by the average user, so use it with care and common sense.

Unfortunately quite some of the links which were previously posted here are now invalid due to what happened with megaupload.

I will try to recollect all the files and get fresh links, so I can provide the complete collection.

Here's what's available for now:

[unlocked] M18x BIOS A03

[unlocked] M18x BIOS A04

both modified and provided by Ahmed from BIOS-Mods, a big thanks to his amazing work!

Consider buying him a drink for all the effort!

[unlocked] M18x BIOS A05

modified by @svl7

After flashing, go to the BIOS menu and load the default settings to prevent possible issues.

As always with such mods, you are responsible for what you do to your system, use at your own risk.

With the BOIS mods out there I would recommend a consistant thread in sticky form to keep people updated.

I am also assuming this is the most current A05 mod svl7?

Kind regards.

Thanks.

Hello everybody,

Firstly sorry for my bad English, i will try to do my best.

I bought like almost 3 year ago an M18xR1 (3228) that was working fine till 1 week, after playing diablo III without problems during 1 week the bios stop recognize my 6970m crossfire, i'm on the integrated HD 3000 right now, i can do internet stuff and vidéo but no more game... (a shame for that kind of computer)

During that last week i have try everything i know/could (reinstall every driver/format/flashing bios etc etc ) except unplug re-seat GPU (i'm in costa rica right know and i don't have the proper tools etc etc)

My last attempt before change laptop will be to use unlocked A05 bios to change from SG to PEG mode in it.

So wich me luck as soon as i get the unlocked A05 :)

Edit :

Ok, so SG or PEG didn't change anything, so i opted for total teardown of my M18X, finaly after switching card and isolate them it appear that GPU1 was dead, so i switch GPU2 with the heat sink of GPU1 in the first slot, and now everything work fine.. i need upgrade my crossfire !

• 4 weeks later...

Well Been signed up for awhile. I just got 2 780m for my 18x R1 but I am not having any luck. All I get is a blackscreen and one beep. I think I probably need to go to the unlocked bios.

Alas I need to work up to my 5 posts first.

• 1 month later...

Apparently there is an issue with Wildstar and Hyperthreading, so I wanted to check if that was the cause of my low FPS. Buuut alienware doesn't have the option in stock as you all here know. So here I am working to get 5 posts to test it :)

In advance, thanks for the good work.

Say, is this the latest file?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi All, does this unlocked bios also unlock the eSATA port multiplier to use several SATA disks at once from the single eSATA port?

I use the E-Sata port myself and it works very well. The stock and unlocked bios will have identical E-Sata operations as there isn't really anything unlocked that would effect the capabilites of the E-Sata port. I have only ever used one drive from it so the other part of your question I am unsure about.

With the BOIS mods out there I would recommend a consistant thread in sticky form to keep people updated.

I am also assuming this is the most current A05 mod svl7?

Kind regards.

Thanks.

Indeed this A05 bios is the latest and most likely final bios this model M18x R1 will ever receive again. :)

• 1 month later...

My Nvidia control panel detects two graphic cards, but there is no 'SLI' option in the settings for me to enable.

Is it more likely that there is a BIOS setting (in the a05 flashed bios for m18x r1) I need to fix, or might there be something wrong with my SLI bridge?

• Thumbs Up 1