Brian

Apple has a year long headstart on the competition with Thunderbolt

So Intel is denying there is any exclusivity with Apple with regards to releasing Lightpeak/Thunderbolt early. They claim that PC manufacturers can release it anytime but personally I think there's more to it than that. Given that the technology was a collaboration between Apple and Intel, I don't think it is too far fetched to assume that because of prior knowledge, Apple was able to push out the technology before anyone else. It may not be an exclusive deal but they definitely got a leg up on the competition because of this IMO.

Here's our recent Thunderbolt article for reference: Intel's lightpeak now shipping as Thunderbolt in newest Macbook Pro. | Tech|Inferno

Two years later and the wider industry still has not really embraced Thunderbolt. USB3 was fairly rapidly adopted by many hardware developers and is much more widely availble now. Even Macs have USB3, but only a handful of PC motherboards have Thunderbolt. And few peripherals are equipped with Thunderbolt. At this point I doubt Thunderbolt will ever take off. We'll have universal USB4 before Thunderbolt.

I agree. Apple always tries to foresee a potential market niche and jump on it. Very rarely does it catch but when it does others follow...iPad

Thunderbolt can support transfer at 10 Gbps. USB 3.1 has the same data transfer rate so I don't see other companies jumping on it at any time soon because it does not seem necessary.

Thunderbolt can support transfer at 10 Gbps. USB 3.1 has the same data transfer rate so I don't see other companies jumping on it at any time soon because it does not seem necessary.

The Thunderbolt 2 support transfer at 20Gbps when the latest usb3 is 10 Gbps

And the Mac Pro has 6 of them

USB cables are extremely cheap, and thunderbolt cables are expensive. Besides the latest usb cables can handle most of what we need. You don't need a thunderbolt cable for transferring files.