Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Hmm, in this screenshot you have once again the problem that it only detects one flash part, the bios is on the other one...

It's odd that the same flash configuration works fine for others but you seem to have issues... need to think.

Does anyone know how to properly enable the xmp profiles for the ram? Whenever I enable it, the system does not boot.

Hmm... not necessarily all options that are hidden in the stock BIOS have to be working, I don't have a system so I can't test it. Anyway, does your RAM support XMP? I.e. does it have proper XMP profiles?

I successfully installed the Intel Wireless AC 7260! Install was very easy and straightforward. I just downloaded the driver directly from Intel before I switched the cards. Then, once the new card was in, I uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones! It is working perfectly!

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know how to properly enable the xmp profiles for the ram? Whenever I enable it, the system does not boot.

According to CPU-Z. This should be the rams my my Y410p is using http://www.qdigrp.com/product/DOWN/desktop/RMT3170EB68F9W-1600.pdf.

I can't see the details of the XMP profiles in bios, so I don't know if the ram supports it. Do the XMP profiles come with the bios or does it come from the ram?

@wtlobster: I have the same ram in my 510p, nowhere near xmp.

There are options like ram multiplier in bios, but unfortunately it is not working, tried to lower first, then upper a notch, nothing happened.

Ram voltage can not be altered, just one option in menu, which is auto.

@svl7: There are no ram options in XTU. Don't know are there any on other, fully unlocked platforms.

- - - Updated - - -

I used the tool to flash my Y410p BIOS and enter the BIOS Setup, when I "exit saving changes", my pc rebooted with only black screen, how can I recovey the orginal BIOS?

You want to recover original bios setting, or want to revert unlocked bios?

What did you touched from unlocked options?

Similar things happened to me, but mine did power on, then 2 sec off. Instant hearth attack :)

Next power cycle was good, sometimes later, just entering bios, no changes, exit& save no boot.

So, just try to turn it on again, if it is not working, try to remove battery and power jack, wait a few minutes, and try again.

There are no ram options in XTU. Don't know are there any on other, fully unlocked platforms.

If the RAM doesn't have XMP profiles then the bios won't change anything regarding this.

maybe I changed the igpu memory size

Maybe? You should know what you did...

maybe there is no other way, than desolder battery from motherboard... :nightmare:

No, that won't make a difference, the variables are stored in the flash part, removing the coin cell battery won't do anything.

Yes it true, XMP is needed for the bios, but in XTU utility, there is no ram related settings at all. Maybe i will try XTU on my desktop.

There are no CMOS memory, which can be reseted? Didn't knew that. Thanks for the heads up! :)

svl7, is flashing a bios by default overwriting the variable area, or you have to force it by parameters?

If yes, you should try making an auto flash usb stick, remove hdd, and boot machine like that.

Or try the emergency flash method in the linked article?

I successfully installed the Intel Wireless AC 7260! Install was very easy and straightforward. I just downloaded the driver directly from Intel before I switched the cards. Then, once the new card was in, I uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones! It is working perfectly!

svl7, is flashing a bios by default overwriting the variable area, or you have to force it by parameters?

If yes, you should try making an auto flash usb stick, remove hdd, and boot machine like that.

Or try the emergency flash method in the linked article?

what was your backup bios file name on the usb stick?

bios.bin will not work, you have to rename it like the article said:

2.3. Download andy's tool for identifying the correct filename of the BIOS for recovery (andy's tool)

2.4. Load the *.ROM file with andy's tool. A Message box will popup. It will show a filename you should use.

2.5. For me the file was called "QIWY.bi?". I formatted a usb flash drive (1GB) with a FAT filesystem (FAT32 should work fine as well) and put a few copies of the QIWY3207.ROM file on the drive. I used some variations of the filename because the character "?" is not allowed in filenames. So it put *.bi, *.bin, *.ROM and *.fd on the drive (don't know which one acutally worked).

Great minds think alike! I ordered one of these the other day and it should be here some time today.

How's the performance and range compared to the old card?

Well I have not gotten to do much testing, and none of it on AC, but the range seems better and performance is definitely better... with the old card my connection would drop every 15 minutes or so to where I basically kept my laptop on an ethernet cable. This card has worked flawlessly though!

what was your backup bios file name on the usb stick?

bios.bin will not work, you have to rename it like the article said:

2.3. Download andy's tool for identifying the correct filename of the BIOS for recovery (andy's tool)

2.4. Load the *.ROM file with andy's tool. A Message box will popup. It will show a filename you should use.

2.5. For me the file was called "QIWY.bi?". I formatted a usb flash drive (1GB) with a FAT filesystem (FAT32 should work fine as well) and put a few copies of the QIWY3207.ROM file on the drive. I used some variations of the filename because the character "?" is not allowed in filenames. So it put *.bi, *.bin, *.ROM and *.fd on the drive (don't know which one acutally worked).

I used a 256m usb flash disk, and tried the file name Yx01.bin, .rom, .wph, .fd, but none worked.

need I use crysis tool (wincris.exe) to prepare a bootable disk or remove other HD disks?