.If you're interested why not all modified BIOS versions can be flashed the 'usual' way with the official tools, read this:http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/2252-information-about-bios-updates-a07-a08-higher-m14xr2-m17xr4-m18xr2.html

M18x R2 - 'unlocked' BIOS versions

The following BIOS of the Alienware M18x have been modified so that all hidden menus and options are visible.

It will allow you to further tweak your system and optimize its peformance.

Most of the options are only meant for advanced users. Don’t change anything you’re not sure about.

It's possible that you see options which don’t work for your system, so be careful when changing settings.

In case you mess up and your system refuses to boot applying new settings, remove the AC adapter, battery and coin cell battery in order to clear the non-volatile ram of the BIOS. This should fix most issues.

*UPDATE*Instructions: There are two ways to flash the modified BIOS:

• Downgrade to stock A03 by using the USB recover procedure. (Thanks @Scott Matusow for summarizing the procedure). Make sure to closely follow the instructions, and wait until the system is done with the flash. Once you're on A03 flash the modified BIOS using the regular way (using the tools provided by Dell)..This method seems to work very well on the M18x R2, at least as long as you do as instructed. It can be a bit scary though since you can't see what's happening. ..
  • Flash the BIOS from DOS with the FPT tool. This will only flash the BIOS part and leave out the EC and so on. It's a really safe option when done properly and less scary since you see the progress and information on the screen.

For the USB recovery method follow the instructions in the link above.

Second possibility - flashing from DOS:

• Prepare an USB drive so that it can boot DOS. If you don't know how to do this, check the instructions in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Guide by @

StamatisX - Thanks!

StamatisX said:
    This is a simple way to make a USB flash drive bootable (i.e. if you want to flash your VBIOS)
    StamatisX said:
    First download the attachment from below and extract it (i.e. on your Desktop)[ATTACH]2741[/ATTACH]
    Install the program and once done run it as administrator otherwise it will give you an error (right click on it and run as administrator)
    Insert the USB flash disk you want to use as a bootable device[ATTACH=CONFIG]4271[/ATTACH]
    make sure you have the following selected[ATTACH=CONFIG]4272[/ATTACH]and press on the button with the 3 dots in order to define the location of the needed files (basically where you chose to unzip the file you downloaded)
    Press start and after a while you are all set

• Grab the DOS version of fpt for flashing, and my 'prr tool' to circumvent write protection..
  • Download a '[FPT]' labeled version of the unlocked BIOS. Put the DOS version of the flash tool on the root of the prepared USB stick (fpt.exe and fparts.txt), along with the prr.exe and the file you want to flash (plus the included flash.bat). .
  • Restart the system and boot from your USB stick. Run prr.exe, then flash the bios by executing the flash.bat file. Wait until the tool completes the flash. If the verification is okay, reboot, else flash again..
  • Go to the bios, load the default settings and reboot. Done.

NOTE: If you want to use an unlocked BIOS newer than A03 I highly recommend to first flash the desired version of the unmodified BIOS (grab it at the Dell download site).

Once you're on the version you want to unlock, follow the DOS flashing procedure described above.

If you want to go A03 or earlier, the best thing to do is using the USB recovery method.

Here two pics of the most interesting options:post-80-14494993488582_thumb.jpg

Thanks @Riri-Fifi for the pics and testing!

Thanks @johnksss for testing my prr tool!

Flash and use at your own risk.

I don't take any responsibility for possible damage on your system.

___

The software which I provide here ('prr tool') comes with absolutely no warranty to the extent permitted by applicable law.

post-80-14494993487815_thumb.jpg

Download the bios files referened in this post from here:

• Thumbs Up 34

I'm going to send out PMs, this should be up soon. Thanks for the interest.

post this great news...and we have to wait till sunday to get started? you know that's a fail right. :D:D

see ya sunday.

LOL, hahaha, do you got an R2 in the meantime? Did I miss something? I'd have PMd you instantly... want to see you OCing that beast, hahaha.

And yeah, I need to get away from my M15x once in a while, especially after such a modding marathon, and with such great weather... been biking, way up in the mountains :D

post this great news...and we have to wait till sunday to get started? you know that's a fail right. :D:D

see ya sunday.

good to see you here john.

R2 unlocked bios, im in, when i get my R2 lol, wont be till 3940xm released =/

really interested in pushing CPU to higher frequency on all 4 cores and getting esata port multiplier working without having to use an expresscard.

I'm going to send out PMs, this should be up soon. Thanks for the interest.

LOL, hahaha, do you got an R2 in the meantime? Did I miss something? I'd have PMd you instantly... want to see you OCing that beast, hahaha.

And yeah, I need to get away from my M15x once in a while, especially after such a modding marathon, and with such great weather... been biking, way up in the mountains :D

:D. no R2 yet. even if i wanted one, the 680's are on hold.

but you know me..im always curious to see how these things turn out! :D

good to see you here john.

R2 unlocked bios, im in, when i get my R2 lol, wont be till 3940xm released =/

really interested in pushing CPU to higher frequency on all 4 cores and getting esata port multiplier working without having to use an expresscard.

thanks brother unityole.

After initially bricking my 6000 dollar machine, lol, this bios mod works. I used emergency recovery via USB on the ESATA port, the bios file name for emergency rescue is M18R2.hdr .. If a board mod wants me to start a new post on how to rescue from a bad flash ( provided u didn't smoke the EC) Let me know via private message and I will be happy to contribute.

bad flash, did in windows and the video just went black blank. 2nd time i did it it worked. the 2nd time I shut down every single program I could that was running in the background. I hate Insyde bios window flashing. I posted on main board a process to recover from a bad flash provided one did not brick the EC controller-- then it's A dead board-- needs service call then-- no power up. If it powers up, chances are it can be saved.

when flashing these experimental bios files...you should not be over clocked on anything. heck...under clocking is a nice way to flash. along with running software with bios access....just an opinion...

side note:

so why no info on what's in the bios? just the major basics for now would be nice...:)

M18x R2 - 'unlocked' BIOS versions

The following BIOS of the Alienware M18x have been modified so that all hidden menus and options are visible.

It will allow you to further tweak your system and optimize its peformance.

Most of the options are only meant for advanced users. Don’t change anything you’re not sure about.

It's possible that you see options which don’t work for your system, so be careful when changing settings.

SWEET! Great job, svl7. I still have an R1, but it's good to know the R2 will finally be just as tweakable for those that have one. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ivy Bridge can do now that it is unleashed.

Question: Do you know of anyone that is working on a way to add the latest Intel RST 11.5 OROM to the M18x R1 HM67 chipset? I cannot seem to find much on the web that I am able to assimilate.

Enjoy your bike ride in the mountains.

:D. no R2 yet. even if i wanted one, the 680's are on hold.
LOL, agree... little point in having an R2 while 680M SLI is not available for order.

the only person i know that did that add on option rom was da_g, but haven't seen him in a very long while. he added 11.0 to a05 or so, way back...i think i tried it again, but it had issues so i re flashed back to a normal unlocked rom.