Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
High_Voltage

Lenovo Y410p/Y510p BIOS mod to enable Nvidia eGPU support

Recommended Posts

Thanks a million for helping me out.
The laptop came back to life through RAM module treatment, as proposed by @Klem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already had bios v3.08, installed WLAN model BCM94352HMB, went to bios to disable wireless (to bypass 'unauthorized wireless network card...' message), enabled bios backflash, ran the GT755m-based patcher (though I don't have GT755m video), flashed back to stock v2.07, and flashed the modded v3.08 and it works perfectly! Now I have wireless 802.11AC (5Ghz). Thanks so much guys for all the great work!

Edited by loann2846

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys,

 

I'm following the tutorial, but I'm getting an error when trying to apply the modified BIOS. When running EC from the DOS command I get the following message:

 

"DOS memory buffer 2 allocate failed"

 

and it refuses to update the EC. BIOS command worked properly. Any help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nevado said:

Hello guys,

 

I'm following the tutorial, but I'm getting an error when trying to apply the modified BIOS. When running EC from the DOS command I get the following message:

 

"DOS memory buffer 2 allocate failed"

 

and it refuses to update the EC. BIOS command worked properly. Any help?

 

We have seen this several times before. A few people here have faced this error and despite this, their PCs continued to work fine without updating the EC firmware. This means you're probably safe to proceed without having to do anything else.

 

If you still wish to have your EC updated, there could be a way. If I recall correctly, someone has managed to get it to flash under MS-DOS (rather than FreeDOS). You'll have to prepare an MS-DOS flash drive following the original Svl7's instructions, but keep in mind that the application required to do this doesn't work under Windows 10.

Edited by High_Voltage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello High_Voltage,

 

Thank you for the quick reply. I have managed to fix it.

 

I noticed that after removal of the UltraBay card, the integrated graphic card went to "Standard VGA", I installed the driver, re-installed v3.08 BIOS and restarted the procedure, this time all flashed nicely.

 

I'm trying to boot windows now with my new GTX1060, but seems to be stuck on WIndows Logo screen forever...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, you could try:

 

1) Reseating all the connectors (especially, the ultrabay) - this has been the main cause of this sort of problems

 

2) Verifying that your power supply is good (try another one) 

 

3) Cold-booting windows (don't really remember how to do this)

 

4) Booting in safe mode (somehow) to see if it works

 

5) Does the system boot without eGPU? If not, maybe, this is related to BIOS settings? (UEFI/Legacy; AHCI/IDE; SecuceBoot, and all that stuff) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 9:15 PM, High_Voltage said:

 

We have seen this several times before. A few people here have faced this error and despite this, their PCs continued to work fine without updating the EC firmware. This means you're probably safe to proceed without having to do anything else.

 

If you still wish to have your EC updated, there could be a way. If I recall correctly, someone has managed to get it to flash under MS-DOS (rather than FreeDOS). You'll have to prepare an MS-DOS flash drive following the original Svl7's instructions, but keep in mind that the application required to do this doesn't work under Windows 10.

 

Hi @High_Voltage, I've the identical problem, "DOS memory buffer 2 allocate failed". I want to try with a ms-dos flash drive because i don't fell comfortable with the 2.07 EC. Can you link me tue guide to do this? someone managed to solve the problem? I'don't have a secondary gpu but the cd-rom drive. Maybe i can try whitout it. Sorry for my poor english

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rossifumi12 said:

I want to try with a ms-dos flash drive because i don't fell comfortable with the 2.07 EC. Can you link me tue guide to do this?

 

Sure. Simply follow my normal installation guide, but replace step 3 with an MS-DOS flash preparation method described here. This method uses an old utility called HP Disk Storage Format Tool, which has been noticed not to work correctly under Windows 10. You will have to find a Windows 7 computer (earlier windows might work too!) to run it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 8:52 PM, High_Voltage said:

 

Sure. Simply follow my normal installation guide, but replace step 3 with an MS-DOS flash preparation method described here. This method uses an old utility called HP Disk Storage Format Tool, which has been noticed not to work correctly under Windows 10. You will have to find a Windows 7 computer (earlier windows might work too!) to run it.

 

 

Thank you @High_Voltage! I used a virtual machine tu run windows 7 on windows 10 and the HP tool worked. No problem with EC this time. Now i've to decide wich wifi card to buy. Intel dual band wireless-AC 7260 7260HMW or the Broadcom BCM9435HMB. Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 2:51 AM, High_Voltage said:

In case you own a Lenovo Y410p or Y510p laptop, you might be interested in upgrading its performance by installing an external graphics card. Ultrabay eGPU adapter designed by @gerald was proven to be a convenient plug-and-play option to do exactly that. However, for a long time only an AMD-branded GPUs could be used due to limitations in the Lenovo's stock BIOS. The purpose of the modified firmware presented here is to expand the range of available GPUs by enabling Nvidia support on Gerald's Ultrabay eGPU adapter.

 

Huge thanks to:

  • @MWichni - For efficiently assisting me during the development of this mod. By flashing dozens of BIOS builds over the course of several weeks and thoroughly describing the effects observed (or the lack thereof), he enabled me to fully understand necessary parts in BIOS structure and come up with a final solution.
  • @svl7 - Whose unlocked BIOS / Whitelist mod has served as a basis for this modification. His discovery of a security hole in V2.07 BIOS has provided us with a convenient BIOS flashing method that does not require a physical programmer. The Unlocked BIOS and WLAN whitelist mods originally designed by him are also implemented in this BIOS mod.
  • @gerald - For designing the aforementioned adapter. Without it, all this work would make very little sense.

 

Key features:

  • Resolves the "40-second reboot" issue normally encountered while using Nvidia graphics cards with Ultrabay eGPU adapter, thus allowing all Nvidia cards to be used.
  • Based on the latest V3.08 BIOS.
  • Includes Svl7's WLAN whitelist removal mod - for the convenience of aftermarket WLAN card users.
  • Includes Svl7's BIOS debug menu mod - for the ease of experimentation with newly available features, e.g. attempting to use Nvidia Optimus to pass eGPU video back to laptop's display.

 

NB! Svl7's Debug Menu is not a toy! It contains a lot of options that are either not supported or partially supported by the hardware platform and/or can disturb its normal operation or prevent the PC from booting up at all. Any of the entries not originally present in the stock BIOS should be modified at your own risk!

 

DISCLAIMER:
ANY MODIFICATIONS YOU ARE APPLYING TO YOUR HARDWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK! AUTHOR OF THIS MOD DOES NOT HOLD ANY LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE RELATED TO USING THIS SOFTWARE.

 

Screenshots:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

5aa713dff2206_workingbiosmod2.png.cacec4b56d9819d05615f58764afb6ca.png

5aa713e69ce54_E6639A6453529E031F33E62698E3985F840966CDCAD603274Cpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.thumb.png.957635edd91a756b1edd2ea22801abb5.png

Unigine.png.992006853e75c1861792b86e94b956fa.thumb.png.31d2b61697cfa00b0efe78fd99289983.png

 

 

Installation instructions:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

WARNING:

BEFORE INITIATING ANY FLASHING PROCESS, MAKE SURE THAT THE AC POWER IS CONNECTED AND THE BATTERY HAS AT LEAST 20% CHARGE LEFT. AN UNPLANNED POWER-OFF DURING FLASHING PROCESS IS GUARANTEED TO RESULT IN A BRICKED MOTHERBOARD.

 

  1. Install fresh, unmodified V3.08 BIOS. The installation file can be found on official Lenovo product support page for your PC.
  2. Enter the BIOS settings (by hitting F2 during boot) and enable BIOS Back Flash option.
  3. Following the instructions here, download and use Rufus utility to create a bootable USB drive running FreeDOS.
  4. Copy the CONTENTS of THIS_GOES_TO_DOS_FLASH_FIRST folder into the root of your FreeDOS flash drive.
  5. Download Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit 2.0, then by running program as Administrator, read your BIOS dump and save it as backup.bin.
  6. Place a copy of the backup.bin into PATCHERS folder.
  7. Depending on whether your system is GT750m-based or GT755m-based, run corresponding patcher.
  8. Carefully study patcher's output. If the patcher reports success, MDDED308.bin file will be created in the same folder.
  9. Once you've acquired MDDED308.bin, copy it to the root of your FreeDOS flash drive as well.
  10. Install stock V2.07 BIOS (Provided). This is a necessary step because later versions of BIOS contain additional flash-protect features.
  11. Connect your FreeDOS USB drive to the PC, reboot into BIOS. In BIOS boot settings change Boot mode from UEFI to Legacy Support, and Boot priority to Legacy first. Press F10 to save and exit.
  12. Once you have booted into DOS environment, type BIOS and press Enter to flash BIOS.
  13. Then, once finished, type EC and hit Enter in order to flash the EC.
  14. Once the EC flash is over, the system will reboot. Both BIOS and EC versions should now be V3.08. Svl7's advanced menu should be accessible at this point.
  15. Enjoy your modded BIOS!
  16. Should you ever decide to revert to Stock BIOS, simply flash the original V3.08 BIOS using the official update file provided by Lenovo.

 

 

 

If things don't go right:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

In case BIOS flash process was interrupted or didn't go as planned and your computer is unable to boot anymore, don't panic! The DOS flash drive you've created is conveniently supplied with the Crisis Recovery file. Just follow the instructions below in order to perform the Crisis Recovery:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

  • Disconnect both battery and the AC power from your computer.
  • Connect your flash drive to the USB3 port closest to the HDMI port.
  • Reconnect the AC power cable while holding Win+R key combination.
  • While continuing to hold the keys, turn on the PC.
  • After some time, the access indicator on your flash drive will start blinking. At this point you can release the keys.
  • Your PC will spin the fans and beep occasionally during the course of several minutes.
  • After the operation is complete, you should be able to boot again.

 

 

 

 

It has also been observed that very rarely some users experience problems while flashing the EC. The system would report "DOS  memory buffer 2 allocate failed" error. If this is your case, just reboot the system. You will stay at the EC version 2.07 which although is not recommended, doesn't seem to have any negative effect on the PC. If you still want to attempt flashing the EC to the latest version, you could try preparing Svl7's original DOS flash drive instead of Rufus FreeDOS one.

 

 

 

 

Error 43:

If you intend using the GTX10XX-series Nvidia card as the eGPU (which you probably do), you are very likely to encounter the infamous Error 43 in Windows Device Manager. This is a widely known issue in the eGPU community and is not related to this particular mod in any way. Following this guide thoroughly will in most cases resolve the Error 43 issue.

 

Download:

Get your copy here!

 

P.S.:

Version of this mod for Lenovo Y400/Y500 models is coming soon!

 

Hello I am new.  I own a Y510P and I want a gpu of 4gb either egpu or ultrabay.  low cost.  thnx. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 10:26 PM, Klem said:

If you laptop can start's, booting in Windows, but with black/blank display, then it means that you can reset the BIOS to default settings blindly.

Try completely disable laptop with press and hold Power/Start button. Then:

1. Press and hold F2 key
2. Turn laptop on. ( still hold F2 key)

3. Wait 5-7 sec, then release F2 key.

3. Press F9, then press Enter key.
4. Press F10, then press Enter key.
5. The  laptop restarts and now all should be good. 

 

Also 100% worked method:

Pull out all RAM modules, enable laptop without all RAM modules. Then disable laptop. Then temporarily insert only one different RAM module (with another memory size or different manufacturer), and start laptop. After these steps bios should be reset to default settings.

 

After a Geforce update I started to have some artifacts and bootups with disabled eGPU, so then I changed something in the BIOS setup (something like "Enable internal graphics" from "auto" to "always), and then now I got a black screen. I disassembled and reassembled it several times, shorted the CMOS, and nothing. I tried pretty much everything, even blind bios reset (following the motherboard manual), but I think the procedure is different than the modded BIOS.

 

After a couple days I just had enough and built a Desktop. This happened 7 months ago, btw.

 

Will try this tonight.

Edited by AllanDavidson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thank you all for your labor to improving y510p, i have a few question, is this bios mod includes disabling intel gpu option and can i use ultrabay gt750m with this bios ? I am asking for this for using hackintos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 2:51 AM, High_Voltage said:

In case you own a Lenovo Y410p or Y510p laptop, you might be interested in upgrading its performance by installing an external graphics card. Ultrabay eGPU adapter designed by @gerald was proven to be a convenient plug-and-play option to do exactly that. However, for a long time only an AMD-branded GPUs could be used due to limitations in the Lenovo's stock BIOS. The purpose of the modified firmware presented here is to expand the range of available GPUs by enabling Nvidia support on Gerald's Ultrabay eGPU adapter.

 

Huge thanks to:

  • @MWichni - For efficiently assisting me during the development of this mod. By flashing dozens of BIOS builds over the course of several weeks and thoroughly describing the effects observed (or the lack thereof), he enabled me to fully understand necessary parts in BIOS structure and come up with a final solution.
  • @svl7 - Whose unlocked BIOS / Whitelist mod has served as a basis for this modification. His discovery of a security hole in V2.07 BIOS has provided us with a convenient BIOS flashing method that does not require a physical programmer. The Unlocked BIOS and WLAN whitelist mods originally designed by him are also implemented in this BIOS mod.
  • @gerald - For designing the aforementioned adapter. Without it, all this work would make very little sense.

 

Key features:

  • Resolves the "40-second reboot" issue normally encountered while using Nvidia graphics cards with Ultrabay eGPU adapter, thus allowing all Nvidia cards to be used.
  • Based on the latest V3.08 BIOS.
  • Includes Svl7's WLAN whitelist removal mod - for the convenience of aftermarket WLAN card users.
  • Includes Svl7's BIOS debug menu mod - for the ease of experimentation with newly available features, e.g. attempting to use Nvidia Optimus to pass eGPU video back to laptop's display.

 

NB! Svl7's Debug Menu is not a toy! It contains a lot of options that are either not supported or partially supported by the hardware platform and/or can disturb its normal operation or prevent the PC from booting up at all. Any of the entries not originally present in the stock BIOS should be modified at your own risk!

 

DISCLAIMER:
ANY MODIFICATIONS YOU ARE APPLYING TO YOUR HARDWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK! AUTHOR OF THIS MOD DOES NOT HOLD ANY LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE RELATED TO USING THIS SOFTWARE.

 

Screenshots:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

5aa713dff2206_workingbiosmod2.png.cacec4b56d9819d05615f58764afb6ca.png

5aa713e69ce54_E6639A6453529E031F33E62698E3985F840966CDCAD603274Cpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.thumb.png.957635edd91a756b1edd2ea22801abb5.png

Unigine.png.992006853e75c1861792b86e94b956fa.thumb.png.31d2b61697cfa00b0efe78fd99289983.png

 

 

Installation instructions:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

WARNING:

BEFORE INITIATING ANY FLASHING PROCESS, MAKE SURE THAT THE AC POWER IS CONNECTED AND THE BATTERY HAS AT LEAST 20% CHARGE LEFT. AN UNPLANNED POWER-OFF DURING FLASHING PROCESS IS GUARANTEED TO RESULT IN A BRICKED MOTHERBOARD.

 

  1. Install fresh, unmodified V3.08 BIOS. The installation file can be found on official Lenovo product support page for your PC.
  2. Enter the BIOS settings (by hitting F2 during boot) and enable BIOS Back Flash option.
  3. Following the instructions here, download and use Rufus utility to create a bootable USB drive running FreeDOS.
  4. Copy the CONTENTS of THIS_GOES_TO_DOS_FLASH_FIRST folder into the root of your FreeDOS flash drive.
  5. Download Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit 2.0, then by running program as Administrator, read your BIOS dump and save it as backup.bin.
  6. Place a copy of the backup.bin into PATCHERS folder.
  7. Depending on whether your system is GT750m-based or GT755m-based, run corresponding patcher.
  8. Carefully study patcher's output. If the patcher reports success, MDDED308.bin file will be created in the same folder.
  9. Once you've acquired MDDED308.bin, copy it to the root of your FreeDOS flash drive as well.
  10. Install stock V2.07 BIOS (Provided). This is a necessary step because later versions of BIOS contain additional flash-protect features.
  11. Connect your FreeDOS USB drive to the PC, reboot into BIOS. In BIOS boot settings change Boot mode from UEFI to Legacy Support, and Boot priority to Legacy first. Press F10 to save and exit.
  12. Once you have booted into DOS environment, type BIOS and press Enter to flash BIOS.
  13. Then, once finished, type EC and hit Enter in order to flash the EC.
  14. Once the EC flash is over, the system will reboot. Both BIOS and EC versions should now be V3.08. Svl7's advanced menu should be accessible at this point.
  15. Enjoy your modded BIOS!
  16. Should you ever decide to revert to Stock BIOS, simply flash the original V3.08 BIOS using the official update file provided by Lenovo.

 

 

 

If things don't go right:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

In case BIOS flash process was interrupted or didn't go as planned and your computer is unable to boot anymore, don't panic! The DOS flash drive you've created is conveniently supplied with the Crisis Recovery file. Just follow the instructions below in order to perform the Crisis Recovery:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

  • Disconnect both battery and the AC power from your computer.
  • Connect your flash drive to the USB3 port closest to the HDMI port.
  • Reconnect the AC power cable while holding Win+R key combination.
  • While continuing to hold the keys, turn on the PC.
  • After some time, the access indicator on your flash drive will start blinking. At this point you can release the keys.
  • Your PC will spin the fans and beep occasionally during the course of several minutes.
  • After the operation is complete, you should be able to boot again.

 

 

 

 

It has also been observed that very rarely some users experience problems while flashing the EC. The system would report "DOS  memory buffer 2 allocate failed" error. If this is your case, just reboot the system. You will stay at the EC version 2.07 which although is not recommended, doesn't seem to have any negative effect on the PC. If you still want to attempt flashing the EC to the latest version, you could try preparing Svl7's original DOS flash drive instead of Rufus FreeDOS one.

 

 

 

 

Error 43:

If you intend using the GTX10XX-series Nvidia card as the eGPU (which you probably do), you are very likely to encounter the infamous Error 43 in Windows Device Manager. This is a widely known issue in the eGPU community and is not related to this particular mod in any way. Following this guide thoroughly will in most cases resolve the Error 43 issue.

 

Download:

Get your copy here!

 

P.S.:

Version of this mod for Lenovo Y400/Y500 models is coming soon!

 

 

Hi, did you ever released version of this BIOS for Y500? I was searching before writing here but I can only find old BIOS by @svl7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you tell me difference between your bios and @svl7? Right now I have flashed svl7's one and I am not sure if I have to flash your version for using exp gdc + 1060 with my y510p laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rok666 said:

Can you tell me difference between your bios and @svl7? Right now I have flashed svl7's one and I am not sure if I have to flash your version for using exp gdc + 1060 with my y510p laptop.

 

They are mostly identical, except mine disables a shutdown if Nvidia egpu is inserted. I think this only affects ultrabay though, therefore you may be successful with svl7's one using an exp gdc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @High_Voltage,

I've been using 2nd Generation eGpu adapter with an NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB card with your custom BIOS solution for almost a year now. Recently though (last 3-4 months) i started to experience crashes in several games. 


This is how the crash looks like:

 

-External display loses signal

-GTX 1060 fans spin up like crazy

-Sometimes internal screen (which is not used at all by me) turns on and i get "Display Driver Failed to Start" so instead the basic Microsoft driver is being used and "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" OR internal screen does not turn on and everything is black.

-To make the laptop useable again it always needs a hard reset.

 

ARK: Survival Evolved is by far the most critical game that is causing this.1186432402_Kpernyfelvtel(147).thumb.png.21d52dd6bfcb940b9718143fa8d2d2a8.png

Sometimes i get this error but not it is not consistent.

Interestingly the higher graphics im playing on the faster the game crashes. 

-Ultra ~ in 1 minute

-Medium ~ in 1-5 minutes

-Low ~ in 1-15 minutes

I got some success when i started the game in DX10 mode and turned everything to low. (By success i mean no crashes in 4-5 hours) But the game is quite unenjoyable with those settings.

Also noticed that intense visual effects tend to crash the game immediately if not started in DX10 (like big amount of flames or getting close the a beacon light)

 

Games that had this kind of crash:

-ARK

-GTA Online (very rare)

-The Sims 4 (1/3 of the times it happens)

-The Forest (mostly happens when graphic settings are on high but it crashed on low too)

-PC Building Simulator (only since a few patches)

-Fortnite (only higher settings)

-7 Days to Die (higher settings)

-Car Mechanic Simulator (higher settings)

 

Games that never had this kind of crash(no matter the settings):

-Rome 2 Total War

-FIFA 19

-Hearthstone

-League of Legends

-World of Tanks

-Rainbow 6 Siege

-Hearts of Iron IV

-Minecraft

-Far Cry 4

-COD WWII

 

I also never get crash when doing Word, Chrome etc...

 

Which led me to the conclusion that mostly those games crash that are relateable to Unreal Engine or Unity. There are a few exceptions though as you can see.

 

What i have tried to solve the problem:

-Updated graphic driver

-Reverted graphic driver

-Updated windows

-Replugged adapter

-Underclocked both gpu core clock and memory clock

 

 

Config:

-i7-4700mq @3.0GHz

-https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-gtx-1060-gaming-x.b6360 (factory settings)

-12GB LDDR3 1600MHz

-120GB m2 SSD

-1TB SSHD

-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

 

 

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Edited by balint234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds very much like a hardware-related problem. Not sure if it actually matters what engine the game you're playing is using. Seems like the GPU just crashes or malfunctions in some other way intermittently. 

 

I would start with un-plugging both adapter and the GPU itself and blowing the connectors with plenty of compressed air before reassembly. Additionally, you should check the soldering on both ends of the adapter for cracks or other defects. 

 

Then, I would recommend to try replacing the power supply. It would be my number one suspect at the moment as you've mentioned that more demanding games at higher settings generally crash more. Moreover, other people here have also seen intermittent issues due to what turned out to be a bad PSU.

 

I hope that helps. Please let me know about any progress with the issue. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the PSU is quite old but i just tested ARK at 1750 MHz core clock and i could play in DX11 Medium settings for an hour at least GPU was around 85-99% all the time and i only got a crash after the 3rd beacon i visited closely. Normally my GPU does 2000 MHz by default if temperatures are low (which they are cause it never goes above 48 C) and that case i get crashes quite quickly as i mentioned.

I was trying 1850 MHz before but as expected its stability was between this current attempt and the factory setting attempt.

 

I will definately try to blow out the whole thing. Also i might test my GPU in a desktop config and see if something similar happens.

Thank you for your help. I will keep you updated if i can or cant achieve something. :angel:

Edited by balint234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have problem...

 
I did everything according to the instructions, but it shows in bios EC 3.08 but bios still 2.07 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Anyone can help me flash v2.07 version using USB DOS stick? When i want upgrade/downgrade bios from *.exe file during installation freez in 40% . Now i have crisis 3.05 :/ and not working second 755m and freezing bios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this is even possible but, figured I'd ask. Is it possible to modify the bios in a way that controls the hardware MUX. One of the things I'm wanting to do is map one of the gpus to a particular display output. That way I could passthrough the gpu to a Virtual Machine and have an output physically connected to it. I found a youtube video of someone doing something like this on an Dell precision 7720 which has bios options for it. I am willing to pay if someone can help me with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Swick1981
      Bios Release Version – v2.0.0
       

       
      Updated or Modded Items:
      A11 UNLOCKED BIOS FOR m18Xr2 (UNLOCKED BY SVL7 AND FULL CREDIT GOES TO HIM FOR UNLOCKING!)
      SVL7 Also created the PRR2.EXE tool that allows you to flash the new bios by unlocking it.  (FULL CREDIT GOES TO HIM FOR THAT FILE PRR2.EXE)
       
      Here are ALL the things I've added, modded, and enhanced on this bios -
      I've added FULL LEGACY SUPPORT ON THIS BIOS with ONE or TWO CARDS (SLI).  You can FINALLY use Win 7 OS on your machine and run the 900 series GPU's! 
      This is a MAJOR breakthrough!
       
      LEGACY SUPPORT Confirmed.  Works with 900 series GPu's in single OR SLI formation Updated the Intel RST Legacy to v12.9.0.2006 (Supports TRIM in RAID0 - CONFIRMED) Updated Intel RST UEFI to v12.9.0.2006 (Supports TRIM in RAID0 - CONFIRMED) Updated the ONBOARD Video Card for the HD3xxx to v2171 - FROM v2132 Updated ONBOARD Video Card for the HD4xxx to v2171 - FROM v2132 Updated the LAN Firmware & PXE Boot from 2.0.5.9 to v2.0.6.6 ADDED NvMe Support for m18xr2 ADDED M.2 support for m18xr2 Updated CPU Microcode to v29 for the 2900 CPU's Updated CPU Microcode to v1c for the 3900 CPU's Updated GOP Driver for Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Updated GOP Driver for Intel Ivy Bridge CPU Updated MAIN GOP Policy module for the m18xR2 Eliminated some code that wasn't used in the m18xR2 Updated CSM Module (v2) Streamline some coding to make mod(s) run a little more efficiently (v2) Added FPARTS.TXT to rar file in v2. (I had forgot to add it in v1) v2.5 to be released shortly.  I've updated a few more modules that I didn't realize could be updated.  (It's only 3 modules, but it's still an update!)   It should be released in about a week.  Hope this helps ya'll!  
      Instructions to flash:
      Use a flash drive to create a boot disk into dos Unzip ALL files into the root of the flash drive (flash.bat, r2final.bin, fpt.exe, flash.bat, prr2.exe, fparts.txt,m18r2.hdr, m18r2.hdr.bin, readmefirst.txt) BOOT INTO DOS – Note, that when you set the bios to legacy in order to boot into dos, you MAY have to reinstall OS!  (Just be prepared to reinstall no matter what) Once you boot into dos, run the file flash.bat It will unlock your bios (THANKS TO SVL7’s BIOS UNLOCKING TOOL – ALL CREDIT TO HIM FOR THIS TOOL!) Let it flash… Reboot your pc, and enjoy the MASSIVE updates!  
      Be on the lookout as I do plan to release newer version with more updates in the future.  However, it wont be for at least a few weeks as I'm now working on legacy support for the m17xR4 and several other systems.  So please be patient!
       
      ENJOY!
       
      Thread link for more information and discussion:
       
    • By svl7
      NVIDIA 'Maxwell' VBIOS mods
       
       
      Here you find modified VBIOS versions for the mobile parts of the Nvidia 'Maxwell' series.
      The VBIOS versions in this post are tweaked for performance and versatility. You'll get almost complete control over the performance parameters of your GPU.
      List of available VBIOS mods:
       
      Nvidia GTX 970m - 'OC edition' rev0 - >> 6 GB Version << - modified by @johnksss & svl7 -> see attachments Nvidia GTX 980m - 'OC edition' rev0 - >> 8 GB Version << - modified by @johnksss & svl7 -> see attachments  
      Screenshot demonstrating the capabilities of the 970m versions:

      >> Read the instructions carefully before flashing! <<
      If anything is unclear after reading or if you have additional remarks, please post in the thread.
       
      Flashing:
       
      - Go to the device manager -> 'Display Adapters' -> chooser your GPU, right click on it and choose disable
      - Flash the VBIOS with mnvflash, a modified version of nvflash (see attachments). Here are detailed instructions for nvflash in case you aren't familiar with it.
      - After the flashing is done: Enable the GPU once again in the device manager.
      - Reboot
       
      Do NOT use driver 347.09, it's broken and useless and won't allow you to overclock, even with the stock firmware.
      Don't distribute the files hosted here outside of Tech|Inferno. Don't modify the files you download here.
       
      Donation link in case you want to buy me a beer

      Thanks and cheers!
    • By TheLoser1124
      Hello, A couple of days ago I got a new GPU but when I installed it into my computer I was unable to use it but now I know why. When checking the device manger I went into the events tab of my GPU when I went to view all events, I noticed an error it said " event 411 kernel PnP " and It also said Problem Status: 0xC01E0438. I believe this is why my GPU hasn't been working on my PC. If you know how to fix this problem or have info on how to fix this problem that would be greatly appreciated. I'm also using a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660.
    • By TheLoser1124
      I'm having a problem where my PC is saying my eGPU is not usable, its detected in the Device Manager and it doesn't have the yellow triangle next to it. I cant use it games and the Nvidia Control Panel doesn't recognize it either. I'm using a EVGA NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660. I'm using windows 10 and I tried DDU and reinstalling them and now I cant access the nvidia control panel. The GPU is not recognize on any other apps and I went on *********** and was unable to find my answer, Any help on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    • By Radstark
      Title sums it up.
       
      TL;DR: we have a Clevo that runs a desktop CPU, one with those huge 82 Wh batteries. We remove the GPU and let it use the CPU's integrated graphics. How much time for the battery to go from 100 to 0? Is it comparable to an ultrabook's?
       
      I'm theorizing a mobile set with a static eGPU and an upgradable CPU. Given a hypothetical user that needs fast processing on the go and long battery life while retaining very high degrees of mobility, but at home wants a powerful machine to run most games, I guess that would be their best bet. It would surely be more convenient to keep everything in the same disk. And even though the thing would be quite heavy to carry around, changing CPU would be more cost-efficient than changing an entire laptop. (Not sure if I'm right here, and also I'm not sure whether the motherboard in a Clevo would be replaceable when the new CPU needs a different socket, which is another reason why I'm asking here.)
       
      If my above guesses aren't correct, then an ultrabook with Thunderbolt and without a dedicated GPU would be a better choice. If they are, then we would be carrying more weight in exchange of a more cost-efficient setup, which I think would be a fair tradeoff.
       
      Also I am aware of the heating problems that these laptops suffer from, at least compared to a desktop setup. Would they be solved by moving the GPU out of the chassis, and instead plugging it with an eGPU dock via Thunderbolt port?
       
      What do you think? Is it doable? If not, why?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.