EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Brian

OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x-R2 Owners Lounge

Since we didn't have one yet, this is it. I'll update this post with the newest driver releases, bios mods and news for the R2. Please keep all M17x-R2 owner posts confined to this thread if possible.

System Files (Dell OEM) Download Links
System Bios Bios A10
Chipset Intel Ibex Peak PCH Chipset
Audio IDT 92HD73C1 Audio - 6.10.0.6261, A03
Media Card Ricoh R5U230 - 2.07.01.00, A00
Infrared Receiver ITE IT8512 CIR Receiver - 5.1.0.1, A00
Touchpad Synaptics TouchPad - 15.0.15.0, A04
Bluetooth Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard - 6.2.0.9603, A02-1
Dell Wireless 1520 Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard - 5.60.48.35, A04
Intel Wireless 6300 Intel WiFi Link 6300 - 13.0, A00
Intel Gigabit Ethernet Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device - 11.5.10.0, A01
Intel Rapid Storage (HDD) Intel Rapid Storage Technology - 9.6.0.1014, A00
Free Fall Sensor ST Microelectronics DE351DL Free Fall Sensor - 1.06.08.33, A01
AMD 5870M Display AMD Mobility Radeon HD5870 - 8.763-100810a-104118C-Dell, A01
AMD 5870M VBios AMD Mobility Radeon HD5870 - 13B96101.104, A01
Alienware OSD Alienware OSD Application - 1.13, A03
Alienware Command Center Alienware Command Center - 2.5.54.0, A07
Alienware Wallpapers Alienware Wallpapers - A01
Alienware GUISE custom theme Custom Desktop Themes - A-02 Alienguise Theme Combo-Win7
  • Thumbs Up 8

Brian could you post any firmware updates for drives associated with the M17 R2 in case someone out there has older drives still. *Such as a removable media drive firmware and hard drive firmware?

Edited by mw86

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/64-unlocked-alienware-m17x-r2-bios-version-1-released.html

To let you know I've tried it myself, it's not bad but there is nothing special in it at all yet at version 1 that it is at except unlocking bios 1-5% overclock on non-XM cpu's. That is pretty cool, I have an XM though so it doesn't help me but very well could help you.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great, thanks! I am actually also looking for a way to override default fan settings. I thought that was also the feature of the modded BIOS? (I remember reading somewhere around here that the manual fan setup exists but I can't find it now.)

I'll do the Ashtere's cooling mod and was hoping the laptop could run more quiet when I am just surfing and not doing anything too CPU/GPU heavy. My idle temps for CPU/GPU are in 30-40C range with fans always at min working @ 30%.

• Thumbs Up 1

With default clocks I am playing Metro 2033 everything maxed out and the GPU fans never kick in either, only the CPU fan is on and that's because I have it OCed

• Thumbs Up 1

Otherwise here is the fan control thread for the R2. http://forum.techinferno.com/hwinfo32-discussion/65-alienware-fan-control.html My experience with it was great, and the setting that worked for me were on my post here http://forum.techinferno.com/hwinfo32-discussion/65-alienware-fan-control.html on page 15.

The modified bios unlocks the display of the fan controls but they do not actually work yet, hopefully The Wiz finishes his second version soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great, thanks! I just received both of my Arctic Silver pastes so hopefully I'll have some time to play with it this weekend. I still have to do taxes. -.-

• Thumbs Up 1

when I try to install the bluetooth driver it says, "activate bluetooth using wireless switch" and I tried to enable/disable wireless from touch panel but nothing happened...

guys, any idea why this is happening?

Do you see the bluetooth icon in your system tray? You can also go into your control panel-->system devices and activate it manually.

• Thumbs Up 1

no it's not in the system try, also I unistalled it from my devices, but for some reason it just not letting me reinstall it, all because I wanted to try my Sixaxis controller wirelessly..

lol, just noticed you are banned.....this is hilarious :D

Shh don't tell the mods..I'm hacking T|I and posting from my banned account. :D So now your BT device doesn't even show up in the device list?

ya it's not even there... I also tried to install it from the installer in C:\dell\drivers\R246770\R246770\Win64\svcpack but still asks for the wireless swich?

Go to Start and type: "C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe" without the quotes. If you don't see the bluetooth icon show up in the tray, go to task manager and end the "BTtray.exe" process and then run the exe again. This time it should show up in your tray. Right click on it and enable the adapter.

here is where it asks me to "activate bluetooth using wireless switch" , so i can't install this either...

Here is how the system works atleast while my R2 worked. Bluetooth must be enabled in the bios options, when the system starts osd needs to open itself so if the osd application is not installed, install that from dell. That OSD program is the control for the touch panel buttons on the R2's keyboard including the wireless switch. With OSD up and running the button now responds to touch. You need to enable the wireless internet card which is actually connected some how to the bluetooth card... because when you press the wireless cards button on the touch panel it disables the wireless card and the bluetooth card. You can also enable the wireless internet card from network device folder and right clicking the wireless card and selecting enable in turning your bluetooth card on as well. Now I think you may have had the wireless disabled and the bluetooth drivers your attempting to install don't detect the device because it's turned off.

sorry for the off topic post but I cant find the m17x-R3 owners lounge and since I will be moving there I wanted to do some spring cleaning. Also brian nice Avatar, what happen? banhammer felt on the other forums?

Ahmadmud please try what I suggested in my last post in this thread and let us know if it gets your bluetooth working... I'm almost certain that was your issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

well, i already had OSD intalled and tried the touch panel but with no luck...i think i might need to unplug the bluetooth adapter manually and then replug it or something...

You didn't say if you made sure your wireless card is enabled in control panel > network and internet > network connections > left click to select the one that says wireless network connection, then right click it to see a menu, make sure you have it enabled if it isn't it turns your blue-tooth off too. Also you didn't answer if you checked to be sure it is enabled in your bios when you press F2 at computers start. Just let us know so we know what isn't the problem. These directions enable everything without that touch panel button!