OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

Haha, yea it is, I used it to stop the Dice cup (Koolance V2) from sliding on the CPU die. the computer was still at a slight angle and I couldn't find anything to get it perfectly level. Closest thing to keep it level was a few of my fiances chick flicks hahaha. Plus I was kinda crammed for time :P It's an old one as you can see a brown hole in it, I think from a burn lol.

That's a great run DR650SE. I think you do wonders with that Dice Pot. Thanks I'm hoping the M18x will be great at overclocking too. I want to break 6K on it on 3DMark11 too and I'm not sure how close it will be yet...

• 3 weeks later...

Some hardcore oc's in here. Congrats guys :)

Thought it'll be appropriate posting my question here due to the collective oc experience in this thread. I have my TDP/TDC set to 90/75. 5% oc in BIOS. Multiplier @ 25x on all cores. GPU's are at 800/1000 stock voltage. Temps on GPU are max 86C on FurMark after about 5 minutes and the CPU temps in wprime 1.55 in the 1024M test with 8 threads are max of 91C. The multiplier drops to 21.45 at the end of the wprime test. Shin Etsu X23D on the CPU/GPU dies and frozenCPU's premium 0.5mm thermal pads on the ddr5 chips. No retention mods... yet :P

I know you guys don't run your systems daily at the limits above and push it just for the benches. I'd like to know if I'm safe at these settings to run on an everyday basis? Bearing in mind I don't run wprime and FurMark everyday.

• Founder

OCing is safe as long as you don't mess with the voltage, with the options you have in the BIOS for CPU OC you have nothing to worry about, worst case scenario you are not stable and you get BSOD or if the temps go way too high your laptop will simply shut down. I wouldn't suggest going way too high with TS (ie 130 TDP) but staying below 100 is fine (for everyday usage mine is set to x26 multis 92TDP/88TDC 3% BIOS OC ). Yours will vary but what you can do is to find out what programs you use that stress your system the most and check the temps, if you are stable and well within acceptable limits (I also consider the fan noise as an important factor) then you can keep those settings for 24/7.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

There should be some interesting updates to this thread in the next few weeks. I've put in an order for two 6970's for my R2. We'll see just how far they can be pushed, I'd like to think the that would make an XM CPU based R2 capable of going head to head with an M18x. I'm sure still ths scores would not reach M18x capabilities, but it'll be interesting none the less. The one thing I have on my side is the more overclockable CPU. There are no time limits, still I don't think this will affect 3D based benchmarks.

• Thumbs Up 4

I posted this elsewhere but I want to repost it here so it will get more attention:

So I finally ran wprime 1.55, apparently its 1024M is more rigorous than its newer version 2.04. Originally using a 26 multiplier and TDC/TDP 90/75 via throttlestop as thats what was possible using wprime 2.04, I got BSOD using wprime 1.55 with 8 threads going.

I reduced the multiplier to 25 and it passed wprime 1.55's 1024M test in 285.63 seconds with a max CPU temperature of 97 C.

I havent increased the voltage or overclocking in BIOS, also the DDR3 voltage is at 1.5.

I tried a combination of 3% BIOS OC, 75 mV, and a 25 multiplier TDP/TDC 90/75 and got BSOD in wprime 1.55. But not only that, the reported speed in CPU'z and throttle stop was fluctuating wildly, dropping as low as 900 Hz, and the FID was scaling back significantly as well. With just throttle stop and no BIOS OC or additional voltage, the reported speed is much more stable, fluctuating between 3.1 and 3.3 Mhz and the FID only scales back to low 24's (25x).

With the GPU's, I got BSOD running 825/1200 in Furmark under a stability test. I went with an 825/1150 which passed Furmark with flying colors but had Crysis 2 freeze up on me, Im not sure if its throttlestop or the overclocked cards or whether they are now both competing for a limited amount of incoming wattage that is culprit. I reflashed the cards to 800/1100 and will run a stress test with Crysis 2, fingers crossed.

I think with the cards moderately overclocked and throttlestop also drawing more current, the problem may be a power supply issue, not in that the power supply is faulty, its just that the increased demand isnt something it can accommodate.

Im not shooting for a bench OC, I am trying to attain a solid, everyday use OC as high as possible but keeping the CPU temperatures in the mid 90's and the GPU temperatures in the low 80's.

It seems that its only with wprime 1.55 that I get such high temps. While playing Crysis 2 the CPU was in the low 80's, with the GPU's around 72 and 74.

There should be some interesting updates to this thread in the next few weeks. I've put in an order for two 6970's for my R2. We'll see just how far they can be pushed, I'd like to think the that would make an XM CPU based R2 capable of going head to head with an M18x. I'm sure still ths scores would not reach M18x capabilities, but it'll be interesting none the less. The one thing I have on my side is the more overclockable CPU. There are no time limits, still I don't think this will affect 3D based benchmarks.

Won't the CPU be limited by the current PSU compared to the 330 found in the m18X? Either way, I am excited about the possibility to get 6970's. However I may just enjoy this R2 for a few years and then upgrade in a couple years. Not too much the 6970's are playing that I am not with a 920xm and 2 5870s. Plus I love my RGB:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

unfortunately not, I will stick with the system as is cause upgrading the cards won't allow me to overclock the CPU due to the PSU (240W are not enough for 6970s and an overclocked 940XM) If we find a way to utilize the 330W of the M18x then I will cause I like the display of the R2 and the horsepower of the 6970s

Guest bifnewman
unfortunately not, I will stick with the system as is cause upgrading the cards won't allow me to overclock the CPU due to the PSU (240W are not enough for 6970s and an overclocked 940XM) If we find a way to utilize the 330W of the M18x then I will cause I like the display of the R2 and the horsepower of the 6970s

Yea we need to get someone on the psu bios hack.... it could allow for dual 580m's!

PSU hack would be nice. Personally i thinking to get the power circuit mod. Just need to find the tracks.

Here is my test with heaven 2.5

post-357-14494988118911_thumb.jpg

Before and after my cpu upgrade :D

BTW: cant we just use a m18x geniune PSU??

I do beleive StamatiX you do something different i have 920xm (not OC'd) using the same driver 11.6 and i not pushing the GPU that much Dont assume so wide distance bitween W7 and WS2008R2 LOL

post-357-14494988117698_thumb.jpg

post-357-14494988118295_thumb.jpg

Edited by AssimilatorX

• Founder
PSU hack would be nice. Personally i thinking to get the power circuit mod. Just need to find the tracks.

Here is my test with heaven 2.5

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1409[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1410[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1411[/ATTACH]

Before and after my cpu upgrade :D

BTW: cant we just use a m18x geniune PSU??

I do beleive StamatiX you do something different i have 920xm (not OC'd) using the same driver 11.6 and i not pushing the GPU that much Dont assume so wide distance bitween W7 and WS2008R2 LOL

:D In Unigine change to 8xAA, 16xAF and extreme tesselation and run again

As far as it concerns the PSU of M18x, we can't use it cause it transmits a code/ID/signal (or whatever that is) that is not recognized by the R2 BIOS. At this point our best bet is to modify our PSU in order to produce more Watts (if I had an extra one, I would have shipped it to my father to do the appropriate modifications... but you see I have only one and I need it)

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest bifnewman
:D In Unigine change to 8xAA, 16xAF and extreme tesselation and run again

As far as it concerns the PSU of M18x, we can't use it cause it transmits a code/ID/signal (or whatever that is) that is not recognized by the R2 BIOS. At this point our best bet is to modify our PSU in order to produce more Watts (if I had an extra one, I would have shipped it to my father to do the appropriate modifications... but you see I have only one and I need it)

What kind of modifications would it need to produce more watts? I'm not very familiar with how PSU's work.

• Founder
What kind of modifications would it need to produce more watts? I'm not very familiar with how PSU's work.

Resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc... too many things actually...

The idea of putting two PSUs in parallel seems more feasible and easier to implement, still nobody has attempted it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest bifnewman
Resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc... too many things actually...

The idea of putting two PSUs in parallel seems more feasible and easier to implement, still nobody has attempted it.

I wonder if Clevo put out any docs on their power converter box for the X7200?

• Founder

Well you don't need any fancy schematics for that... just find 2 female connectors similar to this at the back of the R2 and one male connector similar to the one of the PSU... the wiring is the simplest someone can do and voilà :D your PSU will be registered at 240W but it won't trip under heavy load.

Guest bifnewman
Well you don't need any fancy schematics for that... just find 2 female connectors similar to this at the back of the R2 and one male connector similar to the one of the PSU... the wiring is the simplest someone can do and voilà :D your PSU will be registered at 240W but it won't trip under heavy load.

Really, all it takes is a bit of soldering? Holy shit thats simple. The trouble would be finding the connectors. I thought it would be much more complicated than that.

With such a setup you'll risk to fry the mobo... but it's a cool idea. I'm not sure whether it'll really work, the power draw can get limited with simple circuits, if you connect two PSUs it would still not allow you to draw more power. But of course, I don't know how this is implemented in the M17x...

• Founder

Indeed @svl7 what you say is correct, let's say though that a single PSU can spike up to 280W temporarily (according to measurments with killawatt), keeping the load constantly at those rates will most likely force it to trip in order to protect itself from overheating, by using 2 PSUs in parallel you can draw the same amount of power but it will be balanced between them so they will both run cooler and lighter (so you can prolong their longevity as well), as you correctly pointed out, there is a chance for the motherboard not to be able to draw a bigger amount or to withstand such amounts of power for a long time and that's something everyone has to consider when pushing the system beyond its specifications (ie overclocking). Plus we have to keep in mind that a PSU has let's say an efficiency of 80% (could be more or could be less) which means that when killawatt measures 280W from the wall, that means that the system utilizes 224W so if it is capable of handling 240W max (that's an assumption of mine) we could still have headroom for a bit more power but it wouldn't be possible with only one PSU (that headroom could allow though 2x 6970s OCed and a 940XM OCed).

I only wish I could test the theory...

• Thumbs Up 1

So your saying the tripping point would come from heat created by the powerdraw not the draw of power itself Stam? If that's the case couldn't you modify the psu invasively and create a cooling mod similar to mine but much more direct to the parts that require cooling?

• Founder

well the PSU cannot draw that much power for extended periods of time so it has safety measures that protect it, its worst enemy is heat, cooling it will definitely help, but balancing the load will be much more efficient and preferred. svl7 has a good point though, the system may not be able to handle the extra power in case someone overclocks beyond what the mobo can take.