OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

is it possible to go over 1.15v AT ALL?

Well, I only know that it wasn't possible to go above 1.15V with modding the VBIOS of the 5870m, but it might be different with your cards... worth a try anyway, but the temps will go up pretty crazy.

So you can try modifying the VBIOS and see whether it actually changes anything or not.

Otherwise, there's the hard way, as in the link Stam provided... but that's pretty hardcore :D (But fun, trust me, hahaha!!)

• Thumbs Up 1

well my heatsinks, fans, and exhaust vents are overdue a clean anyway and i have an air conditioning unit spare tht i dont use anymore so i might just take the keyboard of and plug an external one in, overclock a bit more and run vantge again,

if you are doing all that maybe you shoukd do a repaste while at it. :)

• 1 month later...

Ok guys I'm getting really annoyed so I need to ask a question and I need some help. I updated to the latest graphics card drivers yesterday. Catalyst 12.something. And since I have THE OPTION TO CHANGE CLOCKS IN RIVATUNER DISSAPEARED and RIVATUNER was the only program I ever used tht allowed me to overclock the 2nd cf card too. Now the only ones I can get working only do the primary card.... HELP!!!!

ok ty stamatis for the help but i established it was all i driver error so after ages i managed to get hold of a copy of the previous drivers that worked and now rivatuner is back and i can overclock both crossfire cards again!! but.... for some reason i cant overvolt them using trixx as i used to be able to so i might try and flash my vbios so that when i overclock them... it ups the voltage to 1.15v but if i do that and the laptop wont any longer recognise the card (i did it on my desktop old gaming pc and it stopped recognising the card...) what do i do to solve the problem and get it to recognise the card again if that happens???

• Founder

When you install drivers from scratch make sure you have CFX enabled... probably that's why you had only one card overclocked.

If you flash them with 1.15V then you won't need to change the voltage from trixx, just the clocks. They might not be recognized because the vbios might get corrupted after the editing so pay attention to the checksum before flashing.

When you install drivers from scratch make sure you have CFX enabled... probably that's why you had only one card overclocked.

If you flash them with 1.15V then you won't need to change the voltage from trixx, just the clocks. They might not be recognized because the vbios might get corrupted after the editing so pay attention to the checksum before flashing.

its ok ive found out why only one card would oc and it was an issue with the newest version of catalyst. ive fixed everything now and now both the cards OC and i can overvolt with trixx.

one question tho

the max clocks i can now reach are 669mhz core and 1081 mem when overvolted to 1.15v using stock cooling which is great :) but if i flash 1.15v in the vbios onto the card. would i be able to oc even higher than just changing it to 1.15 in trixx or would it not make any difference??

and thanks for the help btw :)

• 2 weeks later...

okay before anyone says anything... i understand and realise that this is in completley the wrong forum.... but does anyone have a copy of the M17x R2 command center drivers a03, a04 or a05, i need it and im having a real tough time finding it online

thanks in advance

• Founder
Hey guys,

Is there a link for some info on the R2's PSU mod? I've seen one lurking on sigs in NBR...

Thanks.

I don't have any links but I think it involves removing the ground wire so the system let's you use a 580m. You lose the ability to charge your battery by doing so.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

I don't have any links but I think it involves removing the ground wire so the system let's you use a 580m. You lose the ability to charge your battery by doing so.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

yeah i seen that... Im not sure though if you leave the ground wire and AC adapter ID wire if battery can be charged on the simply dual M17x R2 power supply... as I am not sure but thought I read the big issues were those using an M18x R1 330watt PSU anon the M17x R2 and they were the ones who had to cross the PSU id wire and the ground wire... wither way its a bit of work and not very portable and in most case if one uses the M17x R2 dual PSU mod they need a electical diode of some sorts between to prevent back feed of power... I'll leave it to the pros

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

That is awesome Cheifule :) great work bro! all you need is to speed up your cpu and get that cpu score to 8k and you will be well over 8K overall score... see here you should get close to what i got take some of my settings for some additional speed.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/133-official-m17x-r2-benchmarking-thread-4.html#post1948

I got ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-950 Processor,Alienware score: P6038 3DMarks 8048 Physics at 3.74 with +75mv. I was able to cool it with the fans on max and system fully assembled...

DR650Se got on dry ice 8271 points on physics at 3857 MHz with +150mv http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/133-official-m17x-r2-benchmarking-thread-4.html#post1744

so it is possible to break 8K with a 920Xm on just air (not on hot summer day but cool evening perhaps) and at as low as 3.7ghz range. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

That is awesome Cheifule :) great work bro! all you need is to speed up your cpu and get that cpu score to 8k and you will be well over 8K overall score... see here you should get close to what i got take some of my settings for some additional speed.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/133-official-m17x-r2-benchmarking-thread-4.html#post1948

I got ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-950 Processor,Alienware score: P6038 3DMarks 8048 Physics at 3.74 with +75mv. I was able to cool it with the fans on max and system fully assembled...

DR650Se got on dry ice 8271 points on physics at 3857 MHz with +150mv http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/133-official-m17x-r2-benchmarking-thread-4.html#post1744

so it is possible to break 8K with a 920Xm on just air (not on hot summer day but cool evening perhaps) and at as low as 3.7ghz range. :)

Thanks Guys,

Your right mw86. I do need to up my CPU much higher. Hmmmm interesting TDP and TDC limits you have set there. My GPUs seem to be insane crazy overclockers so now I just need to boost the CPU. 125 TDP and 95 TDC WOW that is insane lol. I want to try it ahahah lol. I will most likely crash or the PSU will give out. My PSU gives out soo easily :(

I could run the GPUs easy in the M18x at 860 core and 1210 mem speeds lol!

Yup I'm running just on pure cold natural room air lol. With the back propped up. That is all that is need it seems these days. Although it would be nice to have some of DR's dice handy to cool the PSU.

CMON I want that 8k LOL!!!

I just tried the crazy TDP and TDC numbers that I saw in your pic lol; it died in the 1st test haha LOL!!!

What Multis should I run? 24, 24, 24, 24. Across all cores?

ATM I seem to be only able to max out with 27, 26, 26, 25

and TDP set to 77 with TDC between 65 - 70(A).

Any other settings higher will usually just BOOM switch off during the bench. The PSU will cut off power completely.

Any tips for these bits.

I reckon they would sure come in handy especially for Vantage runs as well. Not to mention the CPU king 3d mark 06!

Cheers. :)

Edited by chiefule

Just for good measure another cold boot run lol!

AMD Radeon HD 6970M / 6990M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz,Alienware score: P7943 3DMarks:Banane23:

It seems I can kill 7800 - 7900 scores with ease now. Just much harder to go any higher.

Strangely enough with this particular run the CPU clock speed tanked and only hit 3.5+ Ghz where as all my other runs I needed 3.7+ Ghz to set super high overall scores.

It looks like the GPU carried the CPU accross the line on this one.

Cheers. :)post-312-14494993235669_thumb.jpg An extra 2 Measly points LOL! :nanahump:

Edited by chiefule
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just for good measure another cold boot run lol!

AMD Radeon HD 6970M / 6990M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz,Alienware score: P7943 3DMarks:Banane23:

It seems I can kill 7800 - 7900 scores with ease now. Just much harder to go any higher.

Strangely enough with this particular run the CPU clock speed tanked and only hit 3.5+ Ghz where as all my other runs I needed 3.7+ Ghz to set super high overall scores.

It looks like the GPU carried the CPU accross the line on this one.

Cheers. :) [ATTACH=CONFIG]4277[/ATTACH] An extra 2 Measly points LOL! :nanahump:

I made a fan based air cooler for my PSU and it helped possibly... I would make sure its raised from a surface so heat isn't trapped in the PSU. Also if my settings got the PSU trip to happen drop the amps down by 5 and watts by another 10-20 from what you tried of mine and try again... seems you just need to fnd a sweet spot. I did mine on cool air not even an AC and I was nearly as high as DR650Se dice run in physics that is.

added advice go into bios just for these runs... disable bluetooth, disable all extra devices... unplug external devices... set screen to darkest brightness setting, disable extra hardware in the device manager (webcam, sound card, as much as you can that isn't required for the bench) disable all LED lights and indicators via Alienware Command Center (go dark)

you just need to raise cpu score... it doesn't have to be 8k to get 8k overall with those gpu scores. Try using over 3.5ghz but under the 3.7 you used... see what improves it slowly in small steps starting at the 3.5 and go up till you run into the shutdowns again.. than back off a little.

this is the link to the laptop PSU cooler i made http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/215-laptop-ac-dc-power-adapter-cooler.html

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey again guys and first I'd like to say sorry i havent been posting for a while. Ive been going through GSCE exams but finished them and left school now!!! so im back to OC'ing. If you remember back to my last results i posted they were something like P13200 something and a GPU score of almost 14k. GOOD NEWS!!! after some tweaking, I NOT ONLY BROKE MY PREVIOUS OVERALL SCORE, I ALSO BROKE 14K GPU SCORE WOO!!!post-2695-14494993303025_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

• 3 weeks later...