AMD Launches AMD Radeon™ HD 6990M; M18x Offering

amd has just gone to press with their official answer to nvidia's gtx 580m, the 6990m, to be showcased in alienware’s flagship m18x:

At its core, the Alienware brand is about pushing the limits and finding new extremes in gaming performance," said Arthur Lewis, Vice President and General Manager for Alienware. "By offering two AMD Radeon HD 6990M graphics processors in our flagship M18x laptop, Alienware and AMD have come together to provide gamers the ultimate mobile experience.

engadget article/full amd press release here, although curious as to why they'd even highlight their lackluster hd3d feature when brute force is more their offerings strong suit...

• Thumbs Up 1

Very impressive, so it seems to be indeed a fully unlocked Blackcomb XT (6970m) with 1120 shaders, and they even raised the core speed a little bit, memory stays at the same... results in 715/900.

I'm really curious about the performance, AMD claims it's significantly better than the 580m, wow! I also wonder about the power draw and heat... the 6970m with 1120 shaders had some crazy numbers regarding heat/power.

Yeah, I agree... the price will be a big advantage for AMD, hopefully this urges NVidia to lower their prices a bit... but as far as I know NVidia they won't do this.

• Founder

The 1120 shaders should make it as fast or faster than the 580M in most cases. In some DX11 games that have TWIMTBP optimizations might still show nvidia as the top card. AMD needs to work on their marketing and 3D implementation.

wow did you guys saw the price for the dual 580 in the latest M18x configuration? 1200 extra, is only 500 us for the 6990M that acceptable but more than a grand for the dual 580? I mean is that the Nvidia pricing for the 580?

wow did you guys saw the price for the dual 580 in the latest M18x configuration? 1200 extra, is only 500 us for the 6990M that acceptable but more than a grand for the dual 580? I mean is that the Nvidia pricing for the 580?

Take a look at the prices in Switzerland... it's $2216 - only for the SLI 580m upgrade! That's simply insane.