need help with y510p tempreture

hooman008

hello everyone im new here

id like to make a device to act as a thermal switch for the heat problem of y510p that when the temp reaches to a point it disconnects the wire to the the fan so it will go full speed

for that i need to know whats the max temp for the cpu , gpu ultrabay gpu chipset as well as heatsink [ with speedfan it shows 97 for ultrabay gpu , 65 for cpu ?!!! but the real temp program shows around 95 100 for cpu ....and speedfan shows the gpu around 85 these are temps under prime95 and furmark] so i can chose a thermal switch thank you if it works ill post how to do it with pics i think that should improve the problem alot

sorry for my bad english

thank you.

I was looking into this, cutting the brown wire coming from the fan to the pmw, adding a simple on and off switch so when playing games on goes the switch, off when normal stuff :) yet to decide if I should do this.

That should be super easy, find a place where you can easily mount a thermal cutout (e.g. on the heatsink) measure temperature there (at load) and then get a thermal cutout that fits your temperature range.

Cut the wire, solder the cutout between the cut ends, mount the thermal cutout, done.

i did that already

post-28029-14494997954543_thumb.jpg

but im looking for something like this

post-28029-14494997955448_thumb.jpg

so it will be automated but for that i need to know the temps of the heatsink so i could chose the right one

if u see my orginal post and answer that that would be great and why the temp of the speedfan program and realtemp program is soo difrent for cpu ? speedfan gives me around 65 while realtemp gives me +95

this switch when it gets to a specific temp will discunect so it will be all automated :Banane35:

i did that already

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12007[/ATTACH]

but im looking for something like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12008[/ATTACH]

so it will be automated but for that i need to know the temps of the heatsink so i could chose the right one

if u see my orginal post and answer that that would be great and why the temp of the speedfan program and realtemp program is soo difrent for cpu ? speedfan gives me around 65 while realtemp gives me +95

this switch when it gets to a specific temp will discunect so it will be all automated

Dude... that's exactly what I wrote in the post above. Please read again. You don't need to read out the temp with a program, you need to measure the temp at the spot where you mount the "switch" aka thermal cutout.

Dude... that's exactly what I wrote in the post above. Please read again. You don't need to read out the temp with a program, you need to measure the temp at the spot where you mount the "switch" aka thermal cutout.

well thats what im asking for :D i dont have the temp reader or stuff like that to find out the temp so i thought maybe someone has it and be kind enough to do it for us ?

and would you please take a look at these pics and tell me why im geting 2 diffrent readings ? and why the ThrottleStop stop dosent keep the clock at 3.4 or so ...

when it does nothing

by the way cutout doesnt realy works here since its one time use u dont wanna change it everytime :D

1zv4sgo.jpg

when under load

2itjwir.png

notice the 2.4

jzd3s0.png

when running the throtellstop

notice the increas by 2 ? 2.6 insted of 3.4 i mean it goes up a bit then drop to the 2.6 and stay there so i will never be able to get the max temp...

thank you for your time :)

and would you please take a look at these pics and tell me why im geting 2 diffrent readings ? and why the ThrottleStop stop dosent keep the clock at 3.4 or so ...

You might want to read the instructions / documentation of RealTemp.

by the way cutout doesnt realy works here since its one time use u dont wanna change it everytime

Hello captain obvious... I'm not talking about a part that's designed for one-time-use, please, some common-sense. You'd have to use something like this.

one more thing does the Throttleling starts beacuse of gpu temp ? cause i was doing some stress tests on gpu and cpu Throttle when gpu reaches to 70 i think but cpu was cool enough

thank you that you spend ur time answering my questions

one more thing does the Throttleling starts beacuse of gpu temp ? cause i was doing some stress tests on gpu and cpu Throttle when gpu reaches to 70 i think but cpu was cool enough

and what is the idle temp for cpu in realtemp and gpu and ultrabay ? just cheking to make sure if i need to change anything such as springs...ive already changed the paste

Yeah apparently CPU Turbo Boost gets shut off whenever GPU exceeds 65C per the BIOS/EC, or at least that's what @ghoul said. Easily overcome with ThrottleStop though.

and what is the idle temp for cpu in realtemp and gpu and ultrabay ? just cheking to make sure if i need to change anything such as springs...ive already changed the paste

I idle at around 40C for CPU and GPU. Load is 80-85C.

Yeah apparently CPU Turbo Boost gets shut off whenever GPU exceeds 65C per the BIOS/EC, or at least that's what @ghoul said. Easily overcome with ThrottleStop though.

I idle at around 40C for CPU and GPU. Load is 80-85C.

is this around 40 for cpu is for when the power is set to balance or performance ? cause im geting around 50 on performence mode and idle but the gpu is around 42-4

do i need to do a spring mood for the cpu heatsink ? thanks

@octiceps: Yes, that is correct. And EC is forcing multi directly, going around the standard of PROCHOT, which by the way can be disabled via unlocked bios, so reverse engineering of EC would be good. Or using TS of course. :)@hooman008: 2.6 with TS is probably because of temp or more likely TDP or current limit reached. ( with unlocked TDP AVX test is dropping from 3.4 to 3.0 because of current limit)

Core Temperature = TJ Max - Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) reading

All software uses the same formula to determine the core temperature of any Intel Core i CPU. All software reads the exact same temperature sensor. To convert that data to a core temperature, software must use the correct value for TJ Max. Since November 2008 when the first Core i was produced, software has been able to read this value from each core of each and every Core i CPU. Almost 6 years later and SpeedFan is still not doing this correctly. It is using a value of 85C for TJ Max. That is wrong. RealTemp and ThrottleStop read the correct value from the CPU and that is 100C. That is why SpeedFan is reporting the wrong core temperature. There is a way to go into the SpeedFan configuration file and change this from 85 to 100. If you do this, SpeedFan will start reporting the same temperatures as every other monitoring program will report for your CPU.

It would probably take 80 watts or more when running Prime 95 on a typical 4th Generation Core i7 Quad core CPU. The 4700MQ has a TDP rating of only 47 Watts. That is not nearly enough to run Prime 95 at full speed so the CPU throttles by reducing the multiplier. The screen shot you posted here

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7204-need-help-y510p-tempreture.html#post98923

shows that your CPU is at 47.1 Watts. The multiplier has been automatically reduced to 27 to keep the CPU right at the power limit. You can not use ThrottleStop or any software that I know of to overcome this limit. With a modified bios, you might be able to run this CPU long term at over 47 Watts but then it is likely that your CPU temperature is quickly going to become the limiting factor.

Edit - ThrottleStop also shows TDP Throttle. That means your CPU is throttling because it has reached the TDP power limit, 47 Watts.

I am slowly working on a new version of ThrottleStop. It has a few more features like overclocking and CPU voltage control for the 4th Generation CPUs like you have.

ThrottleStop 7.00 beta 2

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xrar30

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah you can increase the power limit by about 10 W in the unlocked BIOS, which will let the CPU run at a higher multiplier in synthetics and burn tests. But not really useful in the real world as nothing makes it draw that much power.

Yeah you can increase the power limit by about 10 W in the unlocked BIOS, which will let the CPU run at a higher multiplier in synthetics and burn tests. But not really useful in the real world as nothing makes it draw that much power.

With unlocked bios you can raise TDP limit, and time window more than that, but even with that, you are not able to modify current limit. Unlocked TDP allows to run [email protected], limiting it by current, but this is with modified cooling, with stock, it will probably fail. Anything else, not linx of course :), doesn't push cpu that far, so default TDP in real world situation is enough.

With unlocked bios you can raise TDP limit, and time window more than that, but even with that, you are not able to modify current limit. Unlocked TDP allows to run [email protected], limiting it by current, but this is with modified cooling, with stock, it will probably fail. Anything else, not linx of course :), doesn't push cpu that far, so default TDP in real world situation is enough.

I guess the 4700MQ is a more power-hungry than the 3630QM then, because I run Prime95 @ ~3 GHz without unlocked TDP:

post-10698-1449499796098_thumb.jpg

With the power limit increased, Prime95 runs with full Turbo Boost:

post-10698-14494997961761_thumb.jpg

I guess the 4700MQ is a more power-hungry than the 3630QM then, because I run Prime95 @ ~3 GHz without unlocked TDP:

Yes, Haswell is more power hungry than Ivy Bridge. Outrageously so in default voltage form. Closer to 32nm Sandy Bridge in power consumption.

If apply a negative offset voltage to a i7-4700MQ using XTU it can bring temps/TDP down near i7-3630QM levels and allow higher multipliers to be activated under full 4-core load. See details at http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Haswell is more power hungry than Ivy Bridge. Outrageously so in default voltage form. Closer to 32nm Sandy Bridge in power consumption.

If apply a negative offset voltage to a i7-4700MQ using XTU it can bring temps/TDP down near i7-3630QM levels and allow higher multipliers to be activated under full 4-core load. See details at http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181

Yep, Haswell...what a turd.

That's quite an undervolt you're running on your 4800MQ. I'm surprised it's even stable.

Yep, Haswell...what a turd.

That's quite an undervolt you're running on your 4800MQ. I'm surprised it's even stable.

-130mV was ambitious. -120mv was stable but required CPU min changed from 5% to 100% in power control panels for AC mode. Even with the -130mV undervolt we see that Haswell is still quite a bit hotter than Ivy Bridge. Which is why I recommend Ivy Bridge over Haswell for eGPU candidates: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57159

Well, p95 wasn't reaching current limit, maybe that was without undervolt, or remembered something else.

post-17279-14494997965309_thumb.jpg

This is with -100mV. Temps a bit high, maybe i need a repaste or at least dusting the heatsink. Until its done, linx test will be skipped :)

@Tech Inferno Fan: doesn't seems to be that bad, mine does +200mhz, igpu is turned on, (using optimus atm) maybe that is why I have hotter cores, and almost 1W lower TDP comapred to octiceps's Ivy ;)

• 3 weeks later...
i did the mood with the termal switch if anyone insterested to see how it looks like i can post a pic here but it works gud

Please do post the picture. Could you also provide a link to the thermal swtich on ebay or whatever you bought it ?

• 4 weeks later...
Please do post the picture. Could you also provide a link to the thermal swtich on ebay or whatever you bought it ?

post-28029-14494998253107_thumb.jpg

i bought it in person but you can serch for such thing thermal switch normal closed and the temp that u want it to start i chosed 80 C so at 80 it disconect the yellow wier casuing the fan to run at full speed when the temp get back to under 80 it conect it again and the fan goes silent under the bios setings

the switch has all shapes and colors doesnt matter mine is the white one on heatsink

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...