14" Asus G46VW + GTX670@10Gbps-TB1 (ThunderTek) + 3D enclosure [jacobsson]

@jacobsson

Can I Ask what is your mobo rev. NO. ?

after an advance search (still not 100% conformed)

the g46vw I5 versions don't have a thunderbolt port

but the I7 version had it.

or

that US version don't have TB option

BUT the European one had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qSmlIVMgbY this is an I7 Slovakia Version that had TB

the important question her , should I change the i5 to i7 cpu when I change the motherboard that have the TB port?

please HELP

@Hakami55

Hi buddy!

The idea is that all rev 1.2 and 2.2 has the TB port. I have the rev 2.2 that came with the i7 3610QM. I would definitely put a 3740/3840QM in there if I were you, I guess you planning to run newer games on your system?

yes, you are right.

I have Nvidia Shield, the GTX 660m work with the shield GameStream But I like to use more powerful GPU.

Can I run the eGPU into the internal monitor?

yhanks

Nice, sounds cool even though I haven't tested the shield myself!

Yes the internal monitor can be used by simply inactivate the 660M in the system, this allows the eGPU to render via the integrated graphics (HD4000) to the internal screen.

hi

I Found A ASUS G46vw 1.2 and 2.2

this is the pic

post-19939-14494998136541_thumb.jpg

and her is WHAT I think is a thunderbolt controller (red circled), and in the 2.0 it not present.

but win I receive today the 2.2 pics

post-19939-14494998136712_thumb.jpg

I didn't found the controller

can you please conform that this is the controller or is it present in your motherboard?

sorry for that:sad:

@hamaki55

To be honest I really never understood how localize the TB controller on the mobo.

Mine has a blank spot where I first thought the TB-controller should have been located.

@ha1o2surfer Did you find how to recognize the TB-controller?

All I know for sure is that REV 2.2 boards has it.

@jacobsson

sorry for asking more Qs

is the g46vw, still selling the item in your country?

sorry for my English :baffle:

I like questions, don't worry about the English :) No, the G46VW is not for sale anymore since it's old. There might be some shops selling a used/refurbished system, do you want me to check?

I'm sorry for delay

thank you for all you help

and really if you can help me to find one its a great help

but I don't wont to bother you.

No problem buddy!

This seller shows a picture of a REV2.2, he also says it's REV2.2, see third picture in link:

Original Laptop mainboard / motherboard G46VW for ASUS, 100% Tested, warranty 30 days-in Motherboards from Electronics on Aliexpress.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What an amazing work you have here sir!

I am wondering Mr, Jacobson, did you design yourself the 3d printed enclosure?

Can you make a rendering for me too?

I find that an enclosure is needed for stability purposes as I have a big ass Radeon HD 7950 card

I'm working towards nearly the exact same setup as you (including a 3d printed enclosure), so this post has been very helpful. What would you use in place of your power routing/GPU stand set-up that you gutted from your EXP GDC V6?

Also, is there any reason to go with the Thundertek PCB over an Akitio Thunder2, besides the very minor price difference? It'd be nice to have TB2 ready for future upgrades.

I'm really sorry for the late answers guys!

If I were you I'd probably cut the DA-2 male end and solder a PCIe 6-pin in its place, like this, ref [1]:

m082l1p.png?1

Then you could use it to split the cable with an adapter, ref [2]:

31Qp7gqZmXL.jpg

You'll need a PCIe riser to power the slot and Thundertek too?

The thundertek will not need the AC-adapter if you use a powered riser, it'll get feed from the riser itself.

Buy one of these x16 powered risers for both stand and power ref [3]:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINTECH-PCI-e-express-16X-Riser-Extend-Card-15cm-high-speed-Foiled-Cable-/321362874331?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item4ad2b84fdb

$_12.JPG

Then modify the powered x16 riser like this:

1. Cut one of "PCIe 2pin male" of the splitter [2] and solder the 12V PCIe x16 riser cables from [3] to it

2a. Make a cut in the PCIe x16 riser male [3] (just after the x4 pinout) so it can fit in the closed ended x4 slot of the thundertek

3b. (Alternative to 2a) Cut the plastic wall of the thundertek x4 slot so it becomes open ended, then the riser will fit right in

I'm here to guide you, so ask questions if needed!

What an amazing work you have here sir!

I am wondering Mr, Jacobson, did you design yourself the 3d printed enclosure?

Can you make a rendering for me too?

I find that an enclosure is needed for stability purposes as I have a big ass Radeon HD 7950 card

Hi buddy, first of all sorry for my delayed answer!

Thanks for your kind words =)

Yes I designed the enclosure myself, the .stl -file is linked in the thread too.

The HD7950 is ~30CM and my design is only 18CM of length. One could of course build a two parted solution of my design to make up ~31CM of length (which would be glued or screwed together afterwards), you are free to download it and make a try =)

I remember doing a lot of measurements in order to have it flush and tight when assembled.

Tell me what your approach would be and I might we could throw some ideas to see if it could worK!

I'm really sorry for the late answers guys!

If I were you I'd probably cut the DA-2 male end and solder a PCIe 6-pin in its place, like this, ref [1]:

Then you could use it to split the cable with an adapter, ref [2]:

You'll need a PCIe riser to power the slot and Thundertek too?

The thundertek will not need the AC-adapter if you use a powered riser, it'll get feed from the riser itself.

Buy one of these x16 powered risers for both stand and power ref [3]:

Sintech PCI E Express 16x Riser Extend Card 15cm High Speed Foiled Cable | eBay

Then modify the powered x16 riser like this:

1. Cut one of "PCIe 2pin male" of the splitter [2] and solder the 12V PCIe x16 riser cables from [3] to it

2a. Make a cut in the PCIe x16 riser male [3] (just after the x4 pinout) so it can fit in the closed ended x4 slot of the thundertek

3b. (Alternative to 2a) Cut the plastic wall of the thundertek x4 slot so it becomes open ended, then the riser will fit right in

I'm here to guide you, so ask questions if needed!

Thanks for the explanation!

Although it looks like I'll be going with the Akitio Thunder2, since that seems to be the new best bang for your buck solution ATM. Do you know what I would have to change on the setup (for power, or anything else) to use the Akitio?

Thanks for the explanation!

Although it looks like I'll be going with the Akitio Thunder2, since that seems to be the new best bang for your buck solution ATM. Do you know what I would have to change on the setup (for power, or anything else) to use the Akitio?

The Akitio is really nice!

Although there is a risk that you need a powered riser for your GPU, that would mean either modify the riser cables as above (for DA-2) or simply supply it with an ATX PSU.

This also means that you will have to use it w/o the enclosure.

I quote from the thread:

NOTE: there is 25W, rather than 75W per PCIe 1.1's 75W, slot power limitation in this product. That restricts the ability to diretlu plug and use a video card only to certain models. That being only ones with one or two 6P/8P PCIe power connectors and from that subset only some that draw 25W slot power. Workarounds to this limit? (1) use without enclosure introducing a powered PCIe riser (here-x16 or here-x4) or (2) solder 12V/GND power onto the internal PCIe board (here).

What GPU are you planning to use?

- - - Updated - - -

@jacobsson

sorry for asking more Qs

is the g46vw, still selling the item in your country?

sorry for my English :baffle:

How did it go, any news?

The Akitio is really nice!

Although there is a risk that you need a powered riser for your GPU, that would mean either modify the riser cables as above (for DA-2) or simply supply it with an ATX PSU.

This also means that you will have to use it w/o the enclosure.

I quote from the thread:

NOTE: there is 25W, rather than 75W per PCIe 1.1's 75W, slot power limitation in this product. That restricts the ability to diretlu plug and use a video card only to certain models. That being only ones with one or two 6P/8P PCIe power connectors and from that subset only some that draw 25W slot power. Workarounds to this limit? (1) use without enclosure introducing a powered PCIe riser (here-x16 or here-x4) or (2) solder 12V/GND power onto the internal PCIe board (here).

What GPU are you planning to use?

I'm waiting to hear the official pricing/specs on the GTX 960/970 before I decide, and I'm still not sure how much I want to drop on a GPU, but it will definitely be something that can run off of the DA-2. So, most likely a 960, 970, or 680. I want this setup to be as portable as it can reasonably be, so I'm avoiding an ATX solution.

I think rev2.0 and 2.2 not judging conditions, you can see on the picture, both 2.2 rev2.0 motherboard have thunderbolt chip。post-28507-14494998407836_thumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Judging from the information on the box,Hope that these pictues can help youpost-28507-14494998408544_thumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DSL3310 is thunderbolt chip.

post-28507-14494998407105_thumb.jpg

post-28507-14494998407605_thumb.jpg

post-28507-14494998408325_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I just got my Akitio Thunder2 and I'm trying to test it on my G46vw (with TB motherboard 2.2) with a GTX 760 and Corsair CX750M power supply. Basically, the same setup as here except with a 760 instead of 780 Ti (and of course G46 instead of Mac Mini). Just as he does, I have the enclosure powered with it's PSU, and the GPU powered with the 6+8 pins from the ATX PSU. I'm on Windows 8.1, but cannot get it to recognize the card at all, after trying every possible order of plugging in, turning on PSUs, restarting etc. Did you have to do anything in the BIOS or drivers before you could get the device recognized in Windows?

You only need to connect everything and boot with the card connected, the card should be visible to the system after POST sequence.

Do you have setup 1.3?

Is the card spinning its fans, any lights maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my Akitio Thunder2 and I'm trying to test it on my G46vw (with TB motherboard 2.2) with a GTX 760 and Corsair CX750M power supply. Basically, the same setup as here except with a 760 instead of 780 Ti (and of course G46 instead of Mac Mini). Just as he does, I have the enclosure powered with it's PSU, and the GPU powered with the 6+8 pins from the ATX PSU. I'm on Windows 8.1, but cannot get it to recognize the card at all, after trying every possible order of plugging in, turning on PSUs, restarting etc. Did you have to do anything in the BIOS or drivers before you could get the device recognized in Windows?

I had some trouble getting it recognized a the start. I think I hotplugged during boot up to make it recognized. Are you using UEFI Win8.1?