EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

@jacobsson does Cloud give you any idea when the metal enclosure V6 will be available.

My 7950 will be available in a couple of days so want to order the material from China as soon as possible to test it (it's a used one)

It depends on the demand maybe since the acrylic version compatible with the V6 is still being sold so...

@jacobsson does Cloud give you any idea when the metal enclosure V6 will be available.

My 7950 will be available in a couple of days so want to order the material from China as soon as possible to test it (it's a used one)

Hi buddy,

No, sorry he didn't say when, but I don't think it'll take long since it's minor changes to the design.

Welcome to the EXP GDC -user's lounge!

EDIT: I'll of course of update you with news as they come to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out I did a complete brainfart when I ordered my cables. I ordered an 8 to 6+2 pin cable, my GTX 970 takes one 8 pin, will I be able to reverse the cable and use it?

Hi c22.

I think it'll work, the GTX970 wants ~150W. It's a male to male cable right?

The extra 2-pin (both GND) is often just routed from the existing 6-pin GND's.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqFQVNUcx6ez3ueUYrRa4kwFJYPlbNnnDQ-wVhsGPmubmjonCg

Can you post the link to the cable?

Hi buddy,

No, sorry he didn't say when, but I don't think it'll take long since it's minor changes to the design.

Welcome to the EXP GDC -user's lounge!

EDIT: I'll of course of update you with news as they come to me.

Thanks jacobsson, need to say I've changed my mind and will PROBABLY go for BPlus PE4C....if I receive some confirmations.

Main problem with EXP GDC is Y power splitter, I need a 6pin-->2x8pin and it's difficult to find one. Also the availability of the only plastic enclosure didn't push me forward. Also afraid on quality: already scared to work on technicalities I didn't want to find the adapter itself is faulty after hours of working.

Most important for me is plug&play and speed: for my setup there are any reason in term of compatibility to prefer EXP GDC vs PE4C (or 4L or 4H I didn't really understand the differences)?

@davide445

Speed is the same between PE4C and V6.0 via mPCIe or EC, y-splitter cable is included in the $99"complete package" from youbuy. I have not had any problems with any exp gdc's stop working, quality seems fine. The upcoming V6.0 and V7.0 metallic enclosure will house ~29CM card lengths, which looks awesome to me! :)

@davide445

Speed is the same between PEAC and V6.0 via mPCIe or EC, y-splitter cable is included in the $99"complete package" from youbuy. I have not had any problems with any exp gdc's stop working, quality seems fine. The upcoming V6.0 and V7.0 metallic enclosure will house ~29CM card lengths, which looks awesome to me! :)

Discovered y-splitter sold with $99 complete package is a 6pin-->2x6pin not what I need. Metal enclosure will be nice but V6 it's not available and my GPU will arrive in days.

I've looked around this thread but was couldn't to find any information on whether or not the V7 works for Thunderbolt systems (I have a 2012 15" rMPB w/ the GT650). Initially, I was looking at the AkiTio Thunder2, but I prefer not to use a full size ATX power supply. If not, I may just lean towards grabbing a used Ivy Bridge system for the V6/V7. Thanks!

Thanks for the help, it seems 8 pin only needs 3x 12V and it'd be happy, here is the link to the cable: 8 Pin To 8 Or 6 Pin PCI E3 Express Cable - Modular Graphics Power Supply | eBay

I will be receiving my 970 on Friday after some supplier delays with Scan.co.uk, I'll make sure to post a thread on the main forum. Keep in mind the card will be severely throttled in modern games due to 2nd gen mobile Sandy Bridge (i5-2520M).

• Thumbs Up 1

Discovered y-splitter sold with $99 complete package is a 6pin-->2x6pin not what I need. Metal enclosure will be nice but V6 it's not available and my GPU will arrive in days.

Not sure what pictures you been looking at, but the complete package includes 6p -> 6p+[6+2]p

JNIg8ug.png

What are you looking for, 2x 8 pin?

Use this for the 6-pin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pin-To-6Pin-6p-PCI-Express-graphics-Video-Display-Card-Power-socket-18AWG-Cable-/141286343101?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item20e55281bd

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure what pictures you been looking at, but the complete package includes 6p -> 6p+[6+2]p

JNIg8ug.png

What are you looking for, 2x 8 pin?

Yes my Sapphire 7950 Boost require 2x8pin SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 WITH BOOST

Anyway just for you to know I ordered just now a PE4C V2.0, is the easiest solution since come with all is needed apart an enclosure. Being the card hold firmly probably I don't need it and in that way the GPU can remain colder.

Thanks for your help, anyway and I will remain in the community for the next steps!

@davide445

No problem, just FYI you could have used this for the 6-pin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pin-To-6Pin...item20e55281bd

- - - Updated - - -

hey guys

i don't have information enough about this piece and

I decided to buy sapphire r7 265 dual-x 2gb gddr5 ,need to know if it will work or not

thnx

Hi buddy!

Sorry, can't really say. You should try posting the question in the eGPU 2.0 thread since it relates to all eGPU adapters.

Hey,

I'm have recently purchased the new Macbook Pro 15" with the NVIDIA 750m. I'm working on some VR games and I wanted to upgrade to the newly release NVIDIA GTX 980. I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction. It looks like the there is the new 7.0 version of the EXP GDC card. I wasn't sure if anybody had tried it out yet.

After reading through the forums it looks like this is what I should order:

Then I would be able to use the EXP GDC card and plug that into express port on the side of the MBP. Bootcamp to windows, install the drivers and I should be good to go? It would be nice to find an enclosure, but I really can't drop $1000 on a box. I'll have to either leave it exposed or maybe build something else.

Thanks!

Hey,

I'm have recently purchased the new Macbook Pro 15" with the NVIDIA 750m. I'm working on some VR games and I wanted to upgrade to the newly release NVIDIA GTX 980. I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction. It looks like the there is the new 7.0 version of the EXP GDC card. I wasn't sure if anybody had tried it out yet.

After reading through the forums it looks like this is what I should order:

Then I would be able to use the EXP GDC card and plug that into express port on the side of the MBP. Bootcamp to windows, install the drivers and I should be good to go? It would be nice to find an enclosure, but I really can't drop $1000 on a box. I'll have to either leave it exposed or maybe build something else.

Thanks!

There is no expresscard port on a GT750M equipped 15" MBP. Instead you have 16Gbps Thunderbolt2 port. See existing eGPU implementations at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 to decide what enclosure/adapter you'd like to use, with the AKiTiO Thunder2 or Sonnet Sel being the affordable options to consider.

• Thumbs Up 1

just spoke with angel from yoybuy, the exp gdc v7 is restocking and shipping tomorrow ^_^ also dhl is very strict with shipping :L

Thank you for the update. What does "dhl is very strict with shipping" mean? Do you mean they are very careful? You sure you want a V7?

V6 has better positioned power connectors AND has the USB port. No rating on the DC socket suggests it's good for 75W slot power.

V7 has a 150W rated DC socket and has some new enclosure options.

V6 would therefore be better for standalone use with the 220W Dell DA-2 without an enclosure (eg: GTX670/680760/770/780/980). V7 would be better if wanting to use say a smaller 150W AC adapter (GTX750Ti/660/970) or want the new enclosure option.

oh sorry, yea DHL wont ship power supply because of their regulations. Yoybuy said they have to send it separately, or they can change the entire shipping method to EMS and refund the remaining

At the time of ordering the v7.0 I didn't take into consideration of the power slot. Also I don't wanna change my order cause then I have to wait longer :L ahah oh well, but about the power on the v7.0, what do you mean "V7.0 has a 150W rated DC socket" will there be issues if I use the 220W Dell DA-2?

Also I'm gonna be using the EVGA 750 TI FTW Edition

oh sorry, yea DHL wont ship power supply because of their regulations. Yoybuy said they have to send it separately, or they can change the entire shipping method to EMS and refund the remaining

At the time of ordering the v7.0 I didn't take into consideration of the power slot. Also I don't wanna change my order cause then I have to wait longer :L ahah oh well, but about the power on the v7.0, what do you mean "V7.0 has a 150W rated DC socket" will there be issues if I use the 220W Dell DA-2?

Also I'm gonna be using the EVGA 750 TI FTW Edition

The round DC jack on a V7 is rated to 150W. The V6 one is unknown, but at least 75W. The DA-2 uses the other special (BIG) 8pin jack so will have no problems with either V6 or V7.

As mentioned, if using in standalone (non-enclosure) configuration with the DA-2 then (imho) the V6 has a better power socket layout if needing to use pcie power (6P/8P).

• Thumbs Up 1

The round DC jack on a V7 is rated to 150W. The V6 one is unknown, but at least 75W. The DA-2 uses the other special (BIG) 8pin jack so will have no problems with either V6 or V7.

As mentioned, if using in standalone (non-enclosure) configuration with the DA-2 then (imho) the V6 has a better power socket layout if needing to use pcie power (6P/8P).

Ohh, alrighties... damn... yea, since I'm using the the EVGA 750 TI FTW I'm gonna have that issue... but I don't need to use the dedicated port on the EXP GDC to supply additional power to the card right? I can just directly connect the ATX power to the card (That's if im gonna be using the ATX power option). OR even better I can extend the port on the EXP GDC right? Will that work?

Also the website says the EVGA 750 TI FTW needs a minimum of a 400 Watt power supply, (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amps.) TPD is 85 Watts. So... should I use a 500 watt ATX, the Dell DA-2, or the 150 watt DC option (I might have to cut a hole in the new metal enclosure I also purchased..)

EDIT: I might actually use the EVGA 750 TI SC Edition because it doesn't require additional power... and it's cheaper... but then the gtx 950 is gonna be released soon... decisions, decisions...

There is no expresscard port on a GT750M equipped 15" MBP. Instead you have 16Gbps Thunderbolt2 port. See existing eGPU implementations at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 to decide what enclosure/adapter you'd like to use, with the AKiTiO Thunder2 or Sonnet Sel being the affordable options to consider.

Thank you for the reply! I will go ahead with the affordable option of the AKiTiO Thunder 2. I really wish there was an affordable full sized PCI-E option.

Here will by my configuration. Hopefully it will work out.

-MPB 15" - GT750M

-Akito Thunder 2

-Silver Stone Strider Plus 500W PSU - This looks like it will be the smallest option for a 500W PSU, incase I want to construct an enclosure around it. Are there any good posts about how to build one?

-EVGA GTX980

• Thumbs Up 3

Thank you for the reply! I will go ahead with the affordable option of the AKiTiO Thunder 2. I really wish there was an affordable full sized PCI-E option.

Here will by my configuration. Hopefully it will work out.

-MPB 15" - GT750M

-Akito Thunder 2

-Silver Stone Strider Plus 500W PSU - This looks like it will be the smallest option for a 500W PSU, incase I want to construct an enclosure around it. Are there any good posts about how to build one?

-EVGA GTX980

This is goint to be both awesome and history defining moment! You will be the new Prophet of the eGPU world bud and I am predicting it! LOL

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi

Sorry for the self advertising but just wanted to let anyone in the UK know my EXP GDC 6.0 is now on ebay, including dell power supply and acrylic enclosure. I brought this back from China myself in my carry on so I think it's a pretty good deal. Hopefully someone else can make good use of it!

Cheers

exp gdc 6.0 laptop egpu external graphics card adapter with psu | eBay?