[Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M

Hm strange... I overclock with EVGA Precision Here is my setting for

Dirt3:

1600x900, all settings on high, 840core clock with linked shaders, 1020Mem MHz

BFBC2:

1600x900, all settings on medium, 845core clock with linked shaders, 1020Mem MHz

COD:BO

1600x900, all settings on high, 850core clock with linked shaders, 1020Mem MHz

Maybe your GPU is a bad one... some can´t reach that high clocks... other can go higher...

Try EVGA Precision and let us know... so we can look into the problem further.

You have to disassemble the whole notebook... I have done it a month ago... no problem. (But i haven´t done this the first time). Search for disasemble videos on the internet or wait for me (Will make one, next time I disassemble ... maybe this weekend).

I use a Zalman notebook cooler. On weekends when i´m not at home i use none and its also ok. No crashes, with or without notebook cooler. Also i want to say that changing the thermal paste give me proper temperatures. But if you not change the thermal paste it´s also ok. I´m talking about 3 - 5 Degrees in unloaded state. It hasn´t crashed before I changed the paste. So its not necessary if you afraid of disassembling...

nvidia system tools seemed to be giving me issues. seems much more reliable now i am using evga precision but i will test drive more tonight.

ps i am using a03 modded bios and running 840 core sync shader and memory 1020.

i cant be arsed to take the whole thing apart to change the thermal paste hehe.

maybe will get a laptop cooler

A cooler will have about the same effect as lifting the back of the system a bit to increase the airflow. Just put book or similar between desk and the back of your system, make sure to not block the air intakes and your temps should drop 5-10°C.

At the moment I am using the A05 vmod and unlocked. I ordered a Belkin Cooler, but until now I did not use one.

A Video of how to disamble it would be very great. I fear a bit to take it apart^^

Is there a big difference in temperatures from 2630 to 28xx?

Maybe I will change the CPU at that moment too :)

If you do a video, can you show how to replace the thermal paste? I am not sure on how much I should put on, or how. (normally I press some thermal paste in the middle and then install the CPU cooler Desktop...)

A yes, I have a Noctua cooler with their thermal paste. Can I use that one too?

Has anyone who tested the 1V BIOS tried to reinstall the drivers?

What voltage is now everyone running at? Is it stable? Still Blue Screening? Thanks!

So far there's only one overvolt that works, the one posted in the main post of this thread. It raises the 3d voltage from 0.8625v to 0.9125v.

At the moment I am using the A05 vmod and unlocked. I ordered a Belkin Cooler, but until now I did not use one.

A Video of how to disamble it would be very great. I fear a bit to take it apart^^

Is there a big difference in temperatures from 2630 to 28xx?

Maybe I will change the CPU at that moment too :)

If you do a video, can you show how to replace the thermal paste? I am not sure on how much I should put on, or how. (normally I press some thermal paste in the middle and then install the CPU cooler Desktop...)

A yes, I have a Noctua cooler with their thermal paste. Can I use that one too?

courtesy of stam: pretty much a small line of paste down the middle.

i recommend using the top brands like mx-4, ocz freeze,icd etc. since the M14x is a pain to open up, spending more money on paste is worth it. maybe pads too.

post-100-14494991762327_thumb.jpg

post-100-14494991762675_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for the pictures :)

@svl7

Yes, I pasted even 2 pictures of the errors.

After reinstall, still the same. The card is simply deactivated.

So can you change the volt to 0,962? (I think I asked this over PN)

Sorry, completely forget about this post, thanks!! I don't think it'd work since it'd require to do it the same way as this 1V change, and modifying the VBIOS in this way apparently won't work, at least not for this card. I'll let you know in case Saltius has a different idea or in case there's something new to test.

• Thumbs Up 1

well i did some more looking around and with the voltage at 1v it looks like windows disables the card, in the device manager it says code 43 and that the card was reporting problems, i also updated drivers and that did nothing either, maybe if the vbios got tweaked again and was put back into the bios we could try again, but currently im on the .93v mod running between 830-850 stable

Ok, thanks for letting us know. For the time being I don't see a possibility to make it work at a higher voltage, though you'll be able to read it here in case there's some news regarding this subject.

Hmmm... thinking about dissasemble and change VID setting of the VR... i think thats the easiest way to get higher... its getting interessting again... next time i dont need notebook for school i will try and let ya know... promised... as slv7 knows... im not the fastest so this could take a while... xD

Hey Guys, I'm the new one :adoration:

Got my M14x last week and already tested a lot of overclocking so far.

But right now I got a problem.

Ran through 3DMark06 with GPU@850/1250MHz and [email protected] BLCK without any problems and scored about 16000 points.

But if I run Crysis 2 with these settings, I get a nvidia bluescreen crash pretty far.

I reduced the clocks to 800/1000MHz, but still the same at Crysis 2.

Right now I'm running Bios AO5 with VMod@0,912V and Nvidia Driver 285.38.

I don't know why GPU always crashes... did you change something else ? Maybe

I have to apply thermal compound ? Don't getting it...

Greetz

EDIT:

Think I've solved the problem.

Installed old BIOS Version A05 from DELL and set the Clocks to 750/900MHz.

Seem's to be OK.

Edited by robby_hd

Maybe its a heat problem... think about the following: 3DMark06 is extremly cpu depended. GPU gets not that hot because CPU do most of the work. Resulting in higher GPU clocks.

Crysis 2 is DX11 and better coded than 3D06. Its GPU depended...It burns the gpu. Trust me... mine to. I can't use my default clock settings on it. Have to go lower... 830 core MHz.

Edited by n3ocort3x

Yeah sure, but 830MHz is much more than 750 MHz and I'm already using a cooling pad.

I wanted to attach thermal compound to CPU, GPU and GMemory, but I have no idea how to get to the CPU !

When I open my M14x I can change the RAM, the HDD, the battery and the optical drive but which screws do I have to remove to get to the mainboard ???

I already removed all screws of that big grey plastic skid, but it didn't move a bit ?!

The key in my opinion is to look at actual in game performance scores when adjusting or trying to run at certain clock speeds. Example I clock at 750/900 and get avg 34 fps at mostly ultra settings in crysis 2. Now I up my clocks to 800/900. I get 34.5 avg and 2c higher temps. I up my clocks to 800/1000 and i get 34.75 fps and 3c higher temps. I up my clocks to 825/1050 and get 35fps and now get 35fps and 4c higher temps. So for the increased heat of 4c, i get 1 fps more. This is called Diminishing returns. I might be able to get 1 more fps but for the most part my sweet spot is right at 752/900 or 752/1002.

I will keep the clocks at that level ;)

And finally after 90 minutes of hard work, I attached thermal compound to CPU, GPU and GMemory.

Now I have to test my temperatures.

Soon I will change the RAM and add a SSD and then I think my M14x will be fine :)

Greetz, you guys rock !

Hmmm... thinking about dissasemble and change VID setting of the VR... i think thats the easiest way to get higher... its getting interessting again... next time i dont need notebook for school i will try and let ya know... promised... as slv7 knows... im not the fastest so this could take a while... xD

Hehe, I like the idea, this will need some testing to see whether the power supply circuit of the GPU is sufficient for this, but there should be enough thermal headroom for another slight increase, provided you do a good job with thermal paste and use A03 (because of the fans).

Got my M14x last week and already tested a lot of overclocking so far.

But right now I got a problem.

Ran through 3DMark06 with GPU@850/1250MHz and [email protected] BLCK without any problems and scored about 16000 points.

But if I run Crysis 2 with these settings, I get a nvidia bluescreen crash pretty far.

I reduced the clocks to 800/1000MHz, but still the same at Crysis 2.

Right now I'm running Bios AO5 with VMod@0,912V and Nvidia Driver 285.38.

Hey, welcome to T|I! I agree with n3ocort3x, this might indeed be a heat issue, Crysis stresses the GPU differently than 3dM06 which is only a DX9 benchmark and depends a lot on the CPU.

But StevenX mentions something very important too, check out what you gain with the overclock, it might not even be worth it, but this can be different from game to game.