GTX780M+ in HM & EM models...

And so the story goes…

I have been sending modded video BIOS & system BIOS to tester for the past one month. Different Clevo systems show different issues with the card, but it essentially boils down to this:

The GTX780M does NOT “work” on any Clevos other than the P570WMx and of course the new SM-Series models! icon_sad.gif?m=1129645325g

I don’t want to “fool around” any longer! I need to be able to make fundamental changes that will brick the card as well as the Notebook along the way and in order to do that I need to buy a GTX780M myself!

IDK, can't sell anything locally as there is no market for them here, will have to wait till I get back Stateside or to Europe...last time I got a GPU shipped to Asia the customs kept it for 4 months and wanted me to pay 130% import-duty...export duties too and half of all parcels that contain tech-stuff get stolen...here the only safe way in and out is via carry-on...that's how I'll get the 780M, guess it's the price you pay as an expat...

Yeah i was gonna get them for mine but they would be a ton slower than my 680m,s without your super dupa modded vbios so i didn't bother just yet.. :P

Donated btw! :)

Thank You!

Also I have heard a bird sing that a very well known brother here is working on the 780M throttle issue... ;)

Jesus! Almost $1k per card OEM?

500€ are not 1000$... ;)

BUT, yeah they are still too expansive, but that may not change soon, unless AMD can top the NVIDIA cards by a good margin and maintain their lower prices...

• 2 weeks later...

so glad you were able to get the necessary donations together prema :) and also regret that i wasnt able to take part in it! im soooo totally broke atm, its not even funny anymore :P still keeping an eye out on future developments :)

btw, how did u get ur hands on such a comparably "cheap" 780M? at 500€ thats pretty much a steal! :)

That´s a really nice price, it would be a insta buy for me. Anyway, i really hope prema can do it, we have to think positive to give the good vibes to him.

The hardware definitly would handle, there´s alot power under the hood of sandy\ivy machines it would be a shame if we can´t game a GPU better than the 680m.

And so the story goes…

I have been sending modded video BIOS & system BIOS to tester for the past one month. Different Clevo systems show different issues with the card, but it essentially boils down to this:

The GTX780M does NOT “work” on any Clevos other than the P570WMx and of course the new SM-Series models! icon_sad.gif?m=1129645325g

I don’t want to “fool around” any longer! I need to be able to make fundamental changes that will brick the card as well as the Notebook along the way and in order to do that I need to buy a GTX780M myself!

Wow, maybe I should have started one of these. GTX Fundraiser, nice!

...how did u get ur hands on such a comparably "cheap" 780M? at 500€ thats pretty much a steal! :)

That's because someone is supporting the project by giving us the card without profit. :)

It came with the new P1xxSM cooler. :)

Sorry for derailing, but does that new coller works on other GPU´s for the P150EM Model?

Btw does the stock one works on all GPU´s supported by the machine?

Sorry for derailing, but does that new coller works on other GPU´s for the P150EM Model?

Btw does the stock one works on all GPU´s supported by the machine?

Well I might be getting one of the old style 680m coolers from a good friend if he has a good price for me :D

I believe some of the review samples shipped with the old style cooler, so I expect it should fit.

I haven't seen any 770m or 8970m versions in any pictures yet but I know the parts list calls up the same part number for all the Nvida boards (ie N14E GS/GE & GTX).

The 780m GTX does have a backplate assembly which the others dont have and the 8970m isn't on the parts list yet so no idea!

I would guess it will be one size fits all, it makes no sense making 2 different versions as it would cost more than the saving. The only reason I can foresee the 770m and below having the old style cooler would be to clear old stock,

Well I might be getting one of the old style 680m coolers from a good friend if he has a good price for me :D

I believe some of the review samples shipped with the old style cooler, so I expect it should fit.

I haven't seen any 770m or 8970m versions in any pictures yet but I know the parts list calls up the same part number for all the Nvida boards (ie N14E GS/GE & GTX).

The 780m GTX does have a backplate assembly which the others dont have and the 8970m isn't on the parts list yet so no idea!

I would guess it will be one size fits all, it makes no sense making 2 different versions as it would cost more than the saving. The only reason I can foresee the 770m and below having the old style cooler would be to clear old stock,

I Currently have a 675m, so if i buy a 7970M my current heasink will work?

So how many times have you had to desolder your BIOS chip to unbrick your laptop so far?

Also it would be interesting if you put the new heatsink on your old card and compare temps. Some people are interested in just the cooling upgrade. I expect much better core temps, but reduced memory overclocks. But if we were to rip out the memory radiator from the 680m and shave down the fan shroud a little...

It would be great if the new heatsink and backplate could be wear by the "old" 680m (and be sold separately) ...

hope that your effort for compatibility between GTX780M and P1xxHM/EM will pay

My system BIOS is on a socket, bricked it more than 100 times since I got my laptop. ;)

I now have to build an external socket adapter for the 780M chip as that's a 150mil and the only sockets available for them are giant ones meant to be attached directly to the programmer.

Oh, the new heatsink set fits the old machines perfectly, the new back-plates now incl. the subwoofer and won't fit.

I posted the new gpu heatsink part number somewhere here... ;)

EDIT: 6-31-P158N-201-R

My system BIOS is on a socket, bricked it more than 100 times since I got my laptop. ;)

I now have to build an external socket adapter for the 780M chip as that's a 150mil and the only sockets available for them are giant ones meant to be attached directly to the programmer.

Oh, the new heatsink set fits the old machines perfectly, the new back-plates now incl. the subwoofer and won't fit.

I posted the new gpu heatsink part number somewhere here... ;)

EDIT: 6-31-P158N-201-R

Well I found where someone did put the new cooler on a 680m and he said he got temp improvements of 6-8C. Pretty substantial.

Is the P170HM not capable of even blind booting without a functional dGPU in case of a bad flash? P150EM will boot without a card installed, but will shut down after a few minutes, but it did seem to be long enough to do a vBIOS flash. I know the P170HM does not have optimus so I'm guessing if it can boot, that it will be blind. (I wish I could disable optimus on EM for some 3dm01 and 03!)