I browsed again my photos from unsuccessful IPS fitting and I've been wondering whether try it again but with bezel retrofitting. I'm just curious if 2560p bezel is the same as 2570p?

They are different. 2560P bezel has cutouts to allow the two latches through that clamp down the lid. Those latches are not on a 2570P so the bezel no longer has those cutouts. See what I mean by examining the top edge of the bezel in the 2560P pic below. You can see also how the palmrest is different too to allow those latches through. 2570P has a cleaner look but at the expense of no LCD latch. Not a problem as 2570P uses magnets instead to hold the top cover down.

2HPEliteBook2560pFrontLeftOpen.jpg

I browsed again my photos from unsuccessful IPS fitting and I've been wondering whether try it again but with bezel retrofitting. I'm just curious if 2560p bezel is the same as 2570p?

definitely try! I will do it too but have to sell my processors first, that 3840 OEM wasn't cheap :(

I also tryed to replace the LCD after I read bjorm's thread and his photos from imageshack. It is the same as 2560P, and I'm so regret that destroyed the electrical cable. I have bought LP125WH2-SLT1, SLT1 pannel is thinner than SLB1/SLB2/SLB3. From bjorm's thread, I noticed that it must turn the PCB to back, so i bought the thinner SLT1 but failed to turn it back, the electrical cable is too short. Unluckly i destroyed the eletrical cable. If do not turn the PCB back and remove all cover's hooks, the low side is still not enough space to give the LCD connector link to panel.(see the red circle)

If move the panel higher to give enough space to lower part, the panel will not fit the cover like bjorm's thread.

And the other thing is how to fix the panel. The screw is not used to the IPS. It must try other way to fix it.

post-17239-14494996126419_thumb.jpg

post-17239-14494996126243_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Sorry Guys I am aware You're trying to get as much as possible from yours CPU's but is it possible to undervolt mobile IvyBridge by XTU? ;)

Only if there's a way to unlock the BIOS. The voltage slider is grayed out in XTU. I can lower the Max Power short/long but there's no visible effect on actual power draw. The best I can do is set the max cpu/igp power state in windows to 50% to lock it at x12 resulting in very low temps and about 3w power consumption.

I did a few benches at different clocks to mimic other CPUs in an attempt to compare power consumption and temps. Very interesting results:

i7-3840QM@8x1400mhz - i5-3360m level of performance:

post-85-14494996126699_thumb.jpg

Notice the max power draw and temps!

i7-3840QM@8x2800Mhz - i7-3632QM level of performance:

post-85-14494996127012_thumb.jpg

Same thing here. It's ironic that a high end quad is actually far more efficient than 35W duals and quads when running at their levels.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a HP 2570p after Nando4's comparison confirmed my choice over the Lenovo x230. I have the i7-3520M CPU variant and am looking for a good eGPU set up. Should I purchase the PE4H with PCIEMM-060B cable or the A cable? I'll post my results based on your suggestions here and I might be trying out some mods. I don't have too much experience in laptop modding, but I am familiar with programming.

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a HP 2570p after Nando4's comparison confirmed my choice over the Lenovo x230. I have the i7-3520M CPU variant and am looking for a good eGPU set up. Should I purchase the PE4H with PCIEMM-060B cable or the A cable? I'll post my results based on your suggestions here and I might be trying out some mods. I don't have too much experience in laptop modding, but I am familiar with programming.

Good choice with the 2570P. Unfortunately some Lenovo-sponsored advocates (eg: notebookr*) fail to even mention a 2570P when presenting a X230 as a purchase candidate. A terrible disservice to the community imho given the 2570P has features that put the X230 to shame (RAID-0 9.5mm SATA-III, CPU upgradability, significantly better build quality, looks, keyboard). Just jump on ebay and check out how a X201/X200 ages much faster than a same-gen 2540P/2530P.

Interestingly, Lenovo's newest Haswell systems like the Thinkpad W540 are looking more like an Elitebook with it's squared design and silver accents.

As to your eGPU query, you want to get either a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b or a PE4H-EC060A 3.2. Either supports a Gen2 link. Contrary to BPlus' advertising their older PE4L 1.5 or PE4H 2.4 does not support a Gen2 link as I confirmed in my testing here.

• Thumbs Up 1

The 2570p uses express card slot so the PE4L2.1b-ECxxxA/PE4H 3.2-EC is what you want, all versions with non-soldered cables is currently not GEN2 capable. Regarding modding/upgrading, the 2570p is very easy to open up and upgrade. I glued copper coins on my heatsink and can now run my 3820QM without any problems.

I also tryed to replace the LCD after I read bjorm's thread and his photos from imageshack. It is the same as 2560P, and I'm so regret that destroyed the electrical cable. I have bought LP125WH2-SLT1, SLT1 pannel is thinner than SLB1/SLB2/SLB3. From bjorm's thread, I noticed that it must turn the PCB to back, so i bought the thinner SLT1 but failed to turn it back, the electrical cable is too short. Unluckly i destroyed the eletrical cable. If do not turn the PCB back and remove all cover's hooks, the low side is still not enough space to give the LCD connector link to panel.(see the red circle)

If move the panel higher to give enough space to lower part, the panel will not fit the cover like bjorm's thread.

And the other thing is how to fix the panel. The screw is not used to the IPS. It must try other way to fix it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9031[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9032[/ATTACH]

• Thumbs Up 1

8570P bios dump

Is there any Russian 2570P owner that want to submit 15 posts on vlab.su so can download a 8570P bios dump from vlab.su ? It would be handy to have to see if can find the 45W i7-quad power limit code/setting to our 2570P.

Bingo, Komrades! :21_002: I'm on it!

Edit#1: It's going to take some time, I feel so dumb compared to those guys. Just to register I had to answer 4 questions on voltages, capacitors and chips, lol

Edit#2: Interval between posts there is 1hour minimum - Insane!

• Thumbs Up 2

New heatsink mod:

post-85-14494996135727_thumb.jpg

New best stock wPrime1.55 run (notice the temps):

post-85-14494996135972_thumb.jpg

Still experimenting with cooling. So far, was only able to slow down the heat buildup, which also means a slow cool down process (which is fine by me). Shaved off about 5c at max load, which is very much in line with the expected results. To get a significant improvement beyond that would require adding and extra pipe => complete HS overhaul. The biggest problem would be to find a way of directing the heat out of the machine. I'm thinking about getting an extra bottom cover and drill holes in it. Also, a micro fan from some ultrabook might also help. Dunno, need new ideas....

Still experimenting with cooling. So far, was only able to slow down the heat buildup, which also means a slow cool down process (which is fine by me). Shaved off about 5c at max load, which is very much in line with the expected results. To get a significant improvement beyond that would require adding and extra pipe => complete HS overhaul. The biggest problem would be to find a way of directing the heat out of the machine. I'm thinking about getting an extra bottom cover and drill holes in it. Also, a micro fan from some ultrabook might also help. Dunno, need new ideas....

Damn!!

And the mod is not even more complicated than my coin mod from what I see?

Did you choose any specific copper shims?

NICE!

Damn!!

And the mod is not even more complicated than my coin mod from what I see?

Did you choose any specific copper shims?

NICE!

Yes, it's pretty simple and quick, took me about an hour tops. For the radiator and pipe used the standard 15mmx15mmx0.5mm shims (ebay). For the cpu part destroyed my old ram heatsinks, leftovers from this project 2.5 years ago :).

I'm thinking about getting an extra bottom cover and drill holes in it. Also, a micro fan from some ultrabook might also help.

I bought second back cover yesterday, and Im going to drill some holes or lines near heatsink, and cover it with some mesh. I'm counting to drope temps in idle with 2-3C and in stress 3-5C. My calculations are based on experiences with 3m11 tests with cover, without or lifted up 2560p/2570p/8460p/8470p. For example there is very visible differences in temps when You lift 8460p/8470p during tests. (they have holes under heatsink, 2560p/2570p doesn't).

after mod, im going to use this "halfsquares".

post-10292-14494996136859_thumb.jpg

btw, two days ago I run 9 tests 3dm11 (without modded cover) and the max temp on CPU was 69C. Nice.

post-10292-14494996136376_thumb.jpg

I bought second back cover yesterday, and Im going to drill some holes or lines near heatsink, and cover it with some mesh. I'm counting to drope temps in idle with 2-3C and in stress 3-5C. My calculations are based on experiences with 3m11 tests with cover, without or lifted up 2560p/2570p/8460p/8470p. For example there is very visible differences in temps when You lift 8460p/8470p during tests. (they have holes under heatsink, 2560p/2570p doesn't).

after mod, im going to use this "halfsquares".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9056[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9057[/ATTACH]

btw, two days ago I run 9 tests 3dm11 (without modded cover) and the max temp on CPU was 69C. Nice.

Sounds good! Do you know if a 2560p cover is identical to the 2570p one?

Will do some tests tomorrow with and without the cover and post the results. so far I'm really happy with the temps but haven't pushed my system with Prime95 yet...

On a side note, is there a way of getting a faster than 1600mhz RAM work in our machines? I put kingston XMP 1866 but it reverted to 1333 cl9. I want to get the fastest possible memory to improve the IGP performance.

Will do some tests tomorrow with and without the cover and post the results. so far I'm really happy with the temps but haven't pushed my system with Prime95 yet...

On a side note, is there a way of getting a faster than 1600mhz RAM work in our machines? I put kingston XMP 1866 but it reverted to 1333 cl9. I want to get the fastest possible memory to improve the IGP performance.

With the 2560P, only the F.01 bios allowed RAM faster than 1333Mhz to be used. Version F.02 or newer locked the RAM to 1333Mhz regardless of faster RAM timings being available. See 2560P iGPU/RAM testing. The conclusion with a HD3000 being that overclocked RAM saw single-channel performance near that of dual-channel. Dual channel had minor gains.

There is a F.00 and F.01 bios available for a 2570P. Maybe it has unlocked RAM timings as well?

With the 2560P, only the F.01 bios allowed RAM faster than 1333Mhz to be used. Version F.02 or newer locked the RAM to 1333Mhz regardless of faster RAM timings being available. See 2560P iGPU/RAM testing. The conclusion with a HD3000 being that overclocked RAM saw single-channel performance near that of dual-channel. Dual channel had minor gains.

There is a F.00 and F.01 bios available for a 2570P. Maybe it has unlocked RAM timings as well?

I saw your posts in the 2560p thread at nbr. Man, we really need to crack that BIOS big time and remove all the restrictions! So far, we lack the CPU power controls, RAM timings, need a WWAN and WIFI de-whitelist mod, mSATA enable mod,.... I'm seriously thinking to take a crash course on BIOS hacking. Only problem is time, am too busy with work nowadays :(

If it fits will see in few days cause I ordered 2560p cover to my 2570p.

"Taken cover off mod" is the most efficient mod which reduce temps, many times prooved with others laptops. Thats why I was really astonished that there is no holes in 12'5 elitebooks.

Aikimox said:
I saw your posts in the 2560p thread at nbr. Man, we really need to crack that BIOS big time and remove all the restrictions! So far, we lack the CPU power controls, RAM timings, need a WWAN and WIFI de-whitelist mod, mSATA enable mod,.... I'm seriously thinking to take a crash course on BIOS hacking. Only problem is time, am too busy with work nowadays :(

Yes, HP have done a marvellous job of restricting the full potential of our machines. A couple of points:

* there has been no hacked bios for Elitebooks since the Core2Duo days due to the RSA protection preventing it as found out by the gurus. So our systems come with built-in internal WWAN/wifi redundancy. It was suggested by by phillifoc here that engineering sample mPCIE wifi cards do pass the whitelist check but with a bios 'engineering sample' boot message.

* no 2570P schematic has been leaked to the public as yet, so next best reference is the 2560P schematic. Differences noted so far being QM67 versus QM77 chipset, the latter with native USB 3.0 and 8MB versus 16MB BIOS ROM chips.

* 2560P had SPI/BIOS pads on there so leads could be attached to allow programming directly with a SPI eprom burner. I haven't pulled apart my 2570P to see if it's the same. That's what would be needed as emergency recovery if you wanted to start flashing 8470/8570 or other hacked bios onto the machine.

* for memory timings unlock suggest flashing F.00 or F.01 bios and see if that does the trick. Note: In previous Elitebooks it was impossible to flash back if had a F.20 or newer bios. If can't do a bios downgrade via the HP flashing tool then need someone with a F.00/F.01 bios to volunteer a fptw64 16MB BIOS dump to do it. Note too that a NVidia eGPU would get you 5-10 times faster performance than the iGPU.

* 2560P schematic had the WWAN port as PCIe port1 in the schematic, though I believe didn't make it to the final production version. Does soldering on 4xSMT 0hm resistors to the 2570P WWAN slot pins 23, 25, 31, 33 wire up the same PCIe port1 or does it wire it up to SATA port2? If it wires up PCIe then all it really does is give us the ability to add a full length wifi card (or perhaps add a engineering sample mPCIe+USB card like mentioned here or investigate x2 2.0 DIY eGPU connectivity using mPCIe+expresscard [port1+2]). If it's SATA then it gives scope to investigate mSATA connectivity via a 8470P/W or 8570P/W bios. PCIe port1 is a root port required for all the other ports to work so is already enabled on our 2570P bios.

* CPU power limits are increased in the 8470P/W or 8570P/W bios since they have 45W i7-quad options. An avenue for investigation I see you are pursuing. The i7-quad models having an extra heatsink heatpipe to dissipate the 45W CPU's additional heat compared to their 35W dual-core counterparts.

Has anybody logged a case with HP enquiring about these?

• Thumbs Up 1