Hi ALL !!! Having read all of this thread, decided to buy a 2570p stock at a cheap price for modding fun.

Downloaded the BIOS tools needed for BCLK overclock from ME(1.5M_8.1.10.1286) taken from http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2091-lets-enable-overclocking-all-6-7-series-laptops.html#post26529 link from this thread's first post.

Did not work the first BUT through trial and tests , finally succeded and here's how.

Download ME(1.5M_8.1.10.1286) and 2570pOC which is Tech Inferno Fan's mebios.bin file.

Now follow the Khenglish's steps described at http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2091-lets-enable-overclocking-all-6-7-series-laptops.html#post26529

BUT use nado4's 2570poc.bin instead of meoc.bin in his 3rd step.

The difference is that EVERY lines (values) from my ICC data AND sub folders(using fitc.exe) HAD to be changed to match those of Tech Inferno Fan's 2570poc.bin file.

Notice , I have a stock i5- 3360m and Tech Inferno Fan has a i7- 3740qm which makes me agree with Kenglish that this works with any cpu.

If anyone wishes to try this DO create a backup of your original MEBIOS using fpt.exe(dos) or fptw.exe(32bit window) or fptw64(64bit window)

Enjoy

I'd like to ask why I get a high cpu usage (the process "system" is causing it) right after plugging in the egpu in windows? Killing the process causes bluescreen.

I don't hotplug my eGPU in Windows. Instead I'd suggest halt Win7/8 by hitting F8/F12 during startup. Then hotplug the eGPU adapter and continue loading Win7/8. You'll need to enable the legacy option in Win8 with 'bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy' for this to work.

About our 2570p power limit being locked at 35w , there might be a way to bypass. Does anyone in this thread have any knowledge in using a windows app called ActivePerl...msi?

If yes than have a look at what this russian guy has descovered about HP RSA BIOS in his post here ДоÑтуп к Ñкрытым наÑтройкам UEFI BIOS от Insyde / Хабрахабр It's in russian but can be translated through google. Maybe Khenglish could help us out ...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi good people, thanks for this really interesting thread!

Finally I had decided to buy a 2570p,it will arrive next week :)

So, let's see if I got this right:

i7-3740QM is the best price-features wise CPU for 2570p, right?

It seems to me that the i7-3740QM costs too much more for almost nothing cause the 35W limit, pretty much only the better cache.

I found an offer for 300 euros (Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.70 GHz FCPGA988 L3 6 MB 4 Cores CPU 2.70GHz | eBay)

Any better deal?

About our 2570p power limit being locked at 35w , there might be a way to bypass. Does anyone in this thread have any knowledge in using a windows app called ActivePerl...msi?

If yes than have a look at what this russian guy has descovered about HP RSA BIOS in his post here Доступ к скрытым настройкам UEFI BIOS от Insyde / Хабрахабр It's in russian but can be translated through google. Maybe Khenglish could help us out ...

Nice find. However, I'll point out that we are not power limited to 35W. A 45W i7-quad will get TDP limited to 45W. I've confirmed this by studying Throttlestop logs. The reason we are seeing say 39.7W TDP reported at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 is because once the load hits 45W, the Intel Turbo boost algorithm will pull the multiplier by one and TDP will be reduced. The Thrrottlestop logs will see spikes of near 45W just before that happens.

Hi good people, thanks for this really interesting thread!

Finally I had decided to buy a 2570p, will arrive next week :)

So, let's see if I got this right:

i7-3740QM is the best price-features wise CPU for 2570p, right?

It seems to me that the i7-3740QM costs too much more for almost nothing cause the 35W limit, pretty much only the better cache.

I found an offer for 300 euros (Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.70 GHz FCPGA988 L3 6 MB 4 Cores CPU 2.70GHz | eBay)

Any better deal?

Per my comment above, 45W i7-quads get TDP limited to 45W. The individual CPU physical characteristics will determine what the max multiplier it can hold under full 4-core load and be under 45W TDP.

Based on the results at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 , we see the more premium i7-37xx and i7-38xx tends to max out at between x33 and x34 multiplier, often missing out on 1 or even 2 of it's upper end.

We see that a i7-3630QM can maintain it's x32 multi without problem during the TS test. It's a newer CPU along with the i7-3x40QM series, with likely more efficient silicon. It should be a prime candidate on your shortlist.

Any higher performing i7-3720QM (x34), i7-3740QM (x35), i7-3820QM (x35) can be shortlisted as well. Though keep it in perspective. You're only going to get at best another 200-300Mhz (x32 -> x34/x35) performance, or at worst only another 100Mhz. It then makes no sense then to pay double for one of those when it's going to get you somewhere between 3% to 9% better performance. You can get a free 5% by creating a modified ME FW and using XTU to overclock the BCLK.

I'd suggest monitor pricing of those CPUs in your area and grab whichever affordable one pops up.

Per my comment above, 45W i7-quads get TDP limited to 45W. The individual CPU physical characteristics will determine what the max multiplier it can hold under full 4-core load and be under 45W TDP.

Based on the results at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 , we see the more premium i7-37xx and i7-38xx tends to max out at between x33 and x34 multiplier, often missing out on 1 or even 2 of it's upper end.

We see that a i7-3630QM can maintain it's x32 multi without problem during the TS test. It's a newer CPU along with the i7-3x40QM series, with likely more efficient silicon. It should be a prime candidate on your shortlist.

Any higher performing i7-3720QM (x34), i7-3740QM (x35), i7-3820QM (x35) can be shortlisted as well. Though keep it in perspective. You're only going to get at best another 200-300Mhz (x32 -> x34/x35) performance, or at worst only another 100Mhz. It then makes no sense then to pay double for one of those when it's going to get you somewhere between 3% to 9% better performance. You can get a free 5% by creating a modified ME FW and using XTU to overclock the BCLK.

I'd suggest monitor pricing of those CPUs in your area and grab whichever affordable one pops up.

Thanks for the reply, nando (and the egpu universe, really)!

So, comparing i7-3630QM (that still is 45W) with i7-3740QM: ARK | Compare Intel® Products the pricepoint on ebay is 130 euros vs 300 euros.

Now, there is no (relativly) limit on my budget, but 170 euros for 100Mhz is a no-no deal. My question is if the limit starts only on full load with turbo boost or for normal performance, too (2.4 vs 2.7)? Any chance that the full potential of a i7-3740QM (x35) will be unlocked on the notebook in the future?

Ps: i7-3720QM for 190 euros, maybe it is a good compromise.

Thanks for the reply, nando (and the egpu universe, really)!

So, comparing i7-3720QM (that still is 45W) with i7-3740QM: ARK | Compare Intel® Products the pricepoint on ebay is 130 euros vs 300 euros.

Now, there is no (relativly) limit on my budget, but 170 euros for 100Mhz is a no-no deal. My question is if the limit starts only on full load with turbo boost or for normal performance, too (2.4 vs 2.7)? Any chance that the full potential of a i7-3740QM (x35) will be unlocked on the notebook in the future?

Turbo boost will be active in Windows unless you set the CPU max % to 99%, where it disables it. So yeah, 100Mhz likely 4-core performance difference is definitely not worth an extra $170 euros. Grab the i7-3720QM for $130 euros. A great price for a great CPU. Please supply the VID/TDP data when you get it to see where it falls between a i7-3630QM and i7-3740QM in real-life performance.

There are two aspects to unlocking more performance. One is raising TDP limits. The Throttlestop author has noted that the Elitebooks have a chipset-locked limit for TDP. Meaning any parameters altered in Throttlestop or XTU are ignored. Where that being locked in bios who knows? Furthermore, we can't modify the bios to change it due to heavy RSA protection.

The other aspect of unlocking performance is the i7-37x0QM or better CPUs have a +400Mhz locked turbo bin. Gaming machines have bios that enables that. We unfortunately again do not and I see no future changes to enable that.

Does it really matter that our bios is going to lock performance to 45W TDP? Our chassis was designed for 35W TDP and luckily was overengineered so a 45W TDP CPU can be used there without much problem. Unlocking either of these higher performance states would require chassis mods for better heat removal, which is not so easy or cost effective.

So the best mods to get better performance are (1) install a 45W i7-quad (2) apply better cooling to keep temps in check -> new paste, tighten the CPU/heatsink clamping force with a copper shim or washers, install a fan control util (see first post) and (3) obtain a modified ME FW so can use XTU to overclock the BCLK by up to 5%.

If you want more performance than that then look at a IVB 14" Asus G46VW (jacobsson is updating from 2570P to one of these). They have unlocked BIOS so can get +400Mhz or raise TDP as well as a and a Thunderbolt port for 2x faster eGPU performance. Thundertek have a US$199 10Gbps Thunderbolt enclosure making such eGPUs affordable. Or consider a Haswell 14" Dell E6440 (socketted CPU, 900P LCD, expresscard slot on some models).

Or just stay with an affordably upgraded i7-quad 2570P until better options pop up. It's a lot of performance in a very well crafted small package, often for little cost if purchased as a base s/h ebay unit.

Turbo boost will be active in Windows unless you set the CPU max % to 99%, where it disables it. So yeah, 100Mhz likely 4-core performance difference is definitely not worth an extra $170 euros. Grab the i7-3720QM for $130 euros. A great price for a great CPU. Please supply the VID/TDP data when you get it to see where it falls between a i7-3630QM and i7-3740QM in real-life performance.

There are two aspects to unlocking more performance. One is raising TDP limits. The Throttlestop author has noted that the Elitebooks have a chipset-locked limit for TDP. Meaning any parameters altered in Throttlestop or XTU are ignored. Where that being locked in bios who knows? Furthermore, we can't modify the bios to change it due to heavy RSA protection.

The other aspect of unlocking performance is the i7-37x0QM or better CPUs have a +400Mhz locked turbo bin. Gaming machines have bios that enables that. We unfortunately again do not and I see no future changes to enable that.

Does it really matter that our bios is going to lock performance to 45W TDP? Our chassis was designed for 35W TDP and luckily was overengineered so a 45W TDP CPU can be used there without much problem. Unlocking either of these higher performance states would require chassis mods for better heat removal, which is not so easy or cost effective.

So the best mods to get better performance are (1) install a 45W i7-quad (2) apply better cooling to keep temps in check -> new paste, tighten the CPU/heatsink clamping force with a copper shim or washers, install a fan control util (see first post) and (3) obtain a modified ME FW so can use XTU to overclock the BCLK by up to 5%.

If you want more performance than that then look at a IVB 14" Asus G46VW (jacobsson is updating from 2570P to one of these). They have unlocked BIOS so can get +400Mhz or raise TDP as well as a and a Thunderbolt port for 2x faster eGPU performance. Thundertek have a US$199 10Gbps Thunderbolt enclosure making such eGPUs affordable. Or consider a Haswell 14" Dell E6440 (socketted CPU, 900P LCD, expresscard slot on some models).

Or just stay with an affordably upgraded i7-quad 2570P until better options pop up. It's a lot of performance in a very well crafted small package, often for little cost if purchased as a base s/h ebay unit.

Yeah, a thunderbolt port would be nice, but the Asus G46VW seems to me an UFO spaceship... so no, thanks :)

And with the EC port I can re-use my PE4L 1.2b too (less bandwidth, I know, I only hope that the difference is not so visible from 1x 2.1opt to 2x 2.0).

For the CPU, now it is becoming more clear. Dropped the i7-3740QM idea, the best candidate on ebay are: i7-3720QM (190 euros) and i7-3630QM (130 euros).70 euros diff for 300 Mhrz (maybe?)... worth taking time to think about it. Of course I'll supply the VID/TDP data, it's the least I can do.

Yeah, a thunderbolt port would be nice, but the Asus G46VW seems to me an UFO spaceship... so no, thanks :)

And with the EC port I can re-use my PE4L 1.2b too (less bandwidth, I know, I only hope that the difference is not so visible from 1x 2.1opt to 2x 2.0).

For the CPU, now it is becoming more clear. Dropped the i7-3740QM idea, the best candidate on ebay are: i7-3720QM (190 euros) and i7-3630QM (130 euros).70 euros diff for 300 Mhrz (maybe?)... worth taking time to think about it. Of course I'll supply the VID/TDP data, it's the least I can do.

i7-3720QM has a x34 4c multi. i7-3630QM has a x32 4c multi. I've been very curious to see if the i7-3720QM can do a TS test and hold x34. That seems to the limt of the i7-37xx and i7-38xx CPUs. If it can, then it would be the best value CPU to get.

Intel Core i7-3630QM vs i7-3720QM (PGA) tells us that the i7-3720QM has other better features: a faster iGPU turbo clock. supports trusted execution and supports DDR3L.

Overall, is the 60 euros stretch worth it to you? Can get a nice eSATAp enclosure, upgrade your battery, or purchase 802.1AC wifi with the money saved.

i7-3720QM has a x34 4c multi. i7-3630QM has a x32 4c multi. I've been very curious to see if the i7-3720QM can do a TS test and hold x34. That seems to the limt of the i7-37xx and i7-38xx CPUs. If it can, then it would be the best value CPU to get.

Intel Core i7-3630QM vs i7-3720QM (PGA) tells us that the i7-3720QM has other better features: a faster iGPU turbo clock. supports trusted execution and supports DDR3L.

Overall, is the 60 euros stretch worth it to you? Can get a nice eSATAp enclosure, upgrade your battery, or purchase 802.1AC wifi with the money saved.

Normally I would have said no, but the notebook price was nice, so maybe I can afford a better CPU... for the sake of testing in the first page. :)

The Intel Website says the i7-3630QM can support DDR3L. Also, the Trusted Execution Technology feature "may not be available on all computing systems".

But as mentioned, the iGPU max clock speed is still arguably better in the 3720QM. Is this really necessary if you have eGPU implemented?

Still curious about those BGA CPUs customized with PGA sockets. The sellers mention that they maintain lower temps than their PGA counterparts.

Would this mean we can hopefully maintain x35 for longer periods?

But as mentioned, the iGPU max clock speed is still arguably better in the 3720QM. Is this really necessary if you have eGPU implemented?
No, but x34 it's better that x32, or not?

P.s: Is http://www.aliexpress.com/ affidable? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-new-Intel-Core-i7-3720QM-CPU-6M-Cache-2-6GHz-to-3-6GHz-SR0ML-PGA988/1882227055.html is too good to be true.

You're right, x34 is better. But I'm still curious if those customized BGA turned PGA adapters are better/worse than the natural PGA ones. The pins might be a little longer/shorter affecting heat dissipation and performance.

Those no rating sellers in aliexpress are scammers. I provided a similar link to a cheap 3740QM a few posts back.

Also in a few posts back, @rhx123 tried to purchase one but aliexpress caught the scammer and returned the payment.

You're right, x34 is better. But I'm still curious if those customized BGA turned PGA adapters are better/worse than the natural PGA ones. The pins might be a little longer/shorter affecting heat dissipation and performance.

Those no rating sellers in aliexpress are scammers. I provided a similar link to a cheap 3740QM a few posts back.

Also in a few posts back, @rhx123 tried to purchase one but aliexpress caught the scammer and returned the payment.

I see, a scammer as I thought.

By the way... shopping time :))) This's the magic list:

BASE [New] 2570p + 830 Pro 128 Gb + Modem 3G HSPA + GPS + Docking + Bag + Mouse + Kensington 520€ GOT
RAM [New] 1600MHz 16Gb (2x8) CL9 (Crucial I think) 150€
CPU [Used] i7-3720QM 190€
GPU [Used] Gigabyte NVIDIA Windforce GeForce GTX670 OC (oc as good as a GTX680) 220€
1080€

Any tips or alternatives? Can the 16Gb Ram + Gtx670 combo make some issues?

I Any tips or alternatives? Will 16Gb Ram + Gtx670 combo make some issues?

The best memory config seems to be 1600MHz (cheaper too), someone tested 1866MHz w/o any improvement, even worse if remember.

Ok noted, thanks. And the GPU ( Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2 GB Review | techPowerUp )? Is it a valid Plug and play EGPU candidate with 16GbRam? Better alternatives? The price is good, i think.

GTX660 or better are plug and play in a 2570P as are GTX460/GTX560/570/580. AMD, GTX650/GTX750 or older NVidia cards are problematic as they require a 256MB contiguous pcie config space, which the bios does not provide. Those need a DSDT override and (maybe) Setup 1.x, extra software configuration to get all running.

GTX670 is a great card. There is a momentum to bundle eGPU adapters with 220W AC adapters. If wanting then to keep under 220W would mean anything up to a GTX680/GTX760 can be accomodated. A GTX770, rated at 229W TDP, is just slightly over. Consider too that Maxwell GPUs will be released later this year and based on what we've seen from a GTX750, will deliver a major step up in performance-per-watt.

• Thumbs Up 1