i didn't have alot of time to test it, since i don't have an M15x. but i check ed the fans and they were running, i manage to do a vantage runand max temps were 83. still could be power issues with the xm chips. just wished i had more time to test.

post-100-14494987714613_thumb.jpg

post-100-14494987714804_thumb.jpg

post-100-14494987715004_thumb.jpg

post-100-14494987715473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian
Removed attachment limit. Added in M15x + 6970M Photos

The most serious problem i see with 6970M is the fact that it doesn't allow any increase in the voltage, so the overclockability of the card is limited to whatever clocks the stock voltage can support. Brian didn't have any luck with that so far.

Depends on how you look at it. The fact that it can go from 680/900 to 850/1100 and possibly even 875/1150 (basing this on max reference desktop 6850 clocks) on stock voltage is pretty impressive. 1.15v would allow for 900mhz on the core and not much more on the memory.

still can't do it.

i didn't have alot of time to test it, since i don't have an M15x. but i check ed the fans and they were running, i manage to do a vantage runand max temps were 83. still could be power issues with the xm chips. just wished i had more time to test.

Great day to be an M15x owner...

The M15x never had compatibility problems with foreign GPUs with the exception of the 4870. The M17x on the other hand...sheesh

• Founder
Great day to be an M15x owner...

The M15x never had compatibility problems with foreign GPUs with the exception of the 4870. The M17x on the other hand...sheesh

It's funny how Dell gave more robust bios support to the M15x than their flagship system.

• Founder

Yeah sure is, blackcomb xt is exactly what the 5870s should have been when they were released. AMD half assed it with 128 bit memory interface, especially when they went from 256 bit memory in the 4870s. I always felt like the 5870s were not a real upgrade.

• Founder
That thing sounds amazing, i'm wondering what Brian's overall final opinion of the 6970M in a R2 is... and why would you sell it its got nice scores?

The 6970M still has issues in the r2. For one thing there's no real bios fan control, the 5870M heatsink isn't designed for the 6970M, there are some throttling issues I experienced and other problems. Basically if you want the 6970M, get an R3 or M18x.

• Thumbs Up 1

sad.gif I understand ICHIME, I'm trying to pay my Spaceship off myself. Still got $2663.86 to go. I got riped when I bought mine, no discounts and didn't know anyone to ask for advice. Yup everyone's gonna double take on this one... $5,813.86 total.

43_002.gif16_002.gif72.gifdribble.gif06.gif62.gif

62.gif23_002.gif26_002.gif54_002.gif67.gif55_003.gif

Edited by mw86

• Founder
I understand ICHIME, I'm trying to pay my Spaceship off myself. Still got $2663.86 to go. I got riped when I bought mine, no discounts and didn't know anyone to ask for advice. Yup everyone's gonna double take on this one... $5,813.86 total.

wow man. that's quite a price! Michael Dell himself should have delivered it to you :)

• Thumbs Up 1

So I guess my question is now that it seems improbable to have GPU upgrades in the R2; how long will this still be a viable gaming system? I just got mine 3 months ago. Granted I only paid 2k after taxes (Dell outlet and loaded with CF 5870s and 920xm)...but for 2k you can get an R3 with 6970 which has no compatibility issues. M18x is out of my league because I am not going to pay 3k (2k was my max). Again, can this thing play games until the next consoles arrive?

• Founder
So I guess my question is now that it seems improbable to have GPU upgrades in the R2; how long will this still be a viable gaming system? I just got mine 3 months ago. Granted I only paid 2k after taxes (Dell outlet and loaded with CF 5870s and 920xm)...but for 2k you can get an R3 with 6970 which has no compatibility issues. M18x is out of my league because I am not going to pay 3k (2k was my max). Again, can this thing play games until the next consoles arrive?

It can play games for the next few years quite easily. It's still more powerful than the R3 overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

sad.gif I understand ICHIME, I'm trying to pay my Spaceship off myself. Still got $2663.86 to go. I got riped when I bought mine, no discounts and didn't know anyone to ask for advice. Yup everyone's gonna double take on this one... $5,813.86 total.

43_002.gif16_002.gif72.gifdribble.gif06.gif62.gif

62.gif23_002.gif26_002.gif54_002.gif67.gif55_003.gif

6 Grand eh? That's going to leave a mark ;)

The total for my setup (2 SSDs + i7 920XM ES) was about $3000 since I bout the system used. Now it's probably worth a little bit less than what Brian is selling his for since I got rid of the SSDs.

Also, I'm thinking about keeping the card a little while longer to test something (or maybe Brian can test it if he keeps his R2, sells the R3 and gets an M18x. I have a feeling that the 6970M in the M18x uses a slightly different VBIOS than in the R3, which would allow it to work on the R2s without the fan and shutdown issue. They probably used the same mods they had to do to the 5870Ms in the R2 after the new Catalyst driver design wouldn't work properly with the older VBIOS.

• Thumbs Up 1