2015 13" MBP GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [EdowadoHense]

Hi all,

I have my egpu working consistently in the last couple days. I want to share my experience to you guys. I hope my experience would help you to solve your problem.

First of all, I find out Windows 8.1 perform more consistently than Windows 10. I think Windows 8.1 could solve many issues such as black screen and infinity wheel spin.

This thread inspired me to set up my hardware. 

According to my experience, Windows 8.1 would be work either Win to Go(Exteral Hard Drive) or Bootcamp (Internal SSD).

Hardware:

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box

EVGA GTX 1060 OC single fan 

ITX Power Supply 600w

Process:

Step 1 :   Run Windows 8.1 and install Bootcamp

Step 2 :   Power up Egpu and hot plug thunderbolt cable to Macbook

Step 3 :   Let windows detect the egpu plug in (check device manager) (for more detail check the thread above)

Step 4 :   Install the Nvidia graph card drive,  but do not click "Restart".   I prefer to "Shut down" manually.

Step 5 :   Keep TB caple plug in and power up macbook.  Also plug in external display to the Egpu

Step 6 :   It should be work!

Notice:

After you install the graphic card drive,  you need to shut down the Macbook correctly at least 1 times before you plug in the Egpu.

For example, 

Your got black screen/wheel spin.  Then you need to unplug the TB cable, and then let macbook loggin to MacOs/Win 8.1 and press the shutdown button.

After Macbookturn off, plug in and load to windows 8.1.

Hopefully those process would work for your Macbook. Good Luck.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2015 13" MBP GTX1060@10Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [EdowadoHense]
6 minutes ago, ~ h@PpY nO08~ said:

Thanks for sharing.

I got a similar setup: Zotac GTX1060 Mini 3GB + Akitio + 2014 11" Macbook Air (TB1) + Win10, did you do any 3D benchmark on your setup? 

Btw, your should be TB2 instead of TB1 right?

Yes, the attachment is my 3Dmark benchmark.  

Macbook.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2015 13" MBP GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [EdowadoHense]

Hi EdowadoHense,

I'm really interested in your build.

I got almost the same hardware as you do except I have a gtx970. 

Ur post actually convinced me to give it another shot.

Do u have WeChat that I can communicate with you (just in case that I need further help)?

My WeChat:1599829747

Thanks,

Ray

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have exact same setup as you do, but I rarely gets successful bootup. I get black screen no matter how many tries if I turn on the macbook with thunderbolt cable plugged in.

I've been trying this for two weeks, so please, if you can help me with this.....

What version of nvidia driver do you use? did you update your windows8.1? what version is your osX? and your setup worked on both external drive and internal ssd right?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SnJAe said:

I have exact same setup as you do, but I rarely gets successful bootup. I get black screen no matter how many tries if I turn on the macbook with thunderbolt cable plugged in.

I've been trying this for two weeks, so please, if you can help me with this.....

What version of nvidia driver do you use? did you update your windows8.1? what version is your osX? and your setup worked on both external drive and internal ssd right?

My driver version is 368.1.

Maybe you can try this way.    

Without Thundercable plug in, and turn on the MacBook with pressing option key. Then, plug in the thunder cable while you press "enter" to win 8.1. If you fail to load windows 8.1 two times in a row, you will need to go through the windows auto repair.   Timing is easy to catch. I can make it 3 over 5 tried. 

Good luck

1 minute ago, EdowadoHense said:

My driver version is 368.1.

Maybe you can try this way.    

Without Thundercable plug in, and turn on the MacBook with pressing option key. Then, plug in the thunder cable while you press "enter" to win 8.1. If you fail to load windows 8.1 two times in a row, you will need to go through the windows auto repair.   Timing is easy to catch. I can make it 3 over 5 tried. 

Good luck

Thanks, I will try that once I re install my windows 8.1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have a setup EVGA 1060 3GB SC + 2015 13" Macbook pro + Win10 (1607) over EFI USB (https://bleeptobleep.blogspot.cz/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html)

I can install drivers 376.33 without issue. But it works only after first reboot after instalation. 

Getting some error when launching any game or application about DX.

Since then im getting the wheel or even the blackscreen.

Can somebody advice?

Edit: It somehow works just right after installation of drivers. But can't get it run after reboot again (requires driver reinstall again). Using the DDU tool to remove the drivers and then install them as new again

INternal screen benchmark

Unigine3gb.png

Edited by honzicek69

• 1 month later...